Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which distribution for a newbie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Well for last 3 months Im on fedora core6, and its great. Got to grips with a bit of command line thingy and im well happy. managed even the wlan card to work on laptop. I have an ibm laptop and NO hardware issues which is a good start. Runs smooth and gnome is fine...
    Found wine and the commecial sw for windows emu codeweavers useful but running windows progs on linux sort of defeats the idea! Anyway, so far so good.. learning curve and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cosmic.engineer

use ubuntu 6.10, dont use mandrake unless u are gonna strip tht fskr down and have broadband and time to build it up to look pretty again. ubuntu is too easy, very nice and relaxing, even easier and less trouble than windows!

if you love a challenge, get using gentoo.. you will learn ALOT about linux by installing it and stick to teh forums, information on gentoo is plentiful and even though it may seem like a big learning curve, when you are finished you will feel much more comfortable with linux afterwards.

Plus anyone i askd for info on gentoo while spending 3 days straight gettin used to it and installin it were helpful and not pretentious at all, but tht was a long time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I tried Ubuntu today, it was pretty cool to be able to go on the Internet with Firefox straight from the Live CD without installing anything (do all Linuxeses do that?)
    I would have gone further but it didn't recognize my Logitech bluetooth keyboard and mouse (lucky I had a USB mouse handy)
    And, when I clicked shut down, it displayed a kind of unloading animation, but then ejected the CD and hung there... didn't know what that was about.

Anyway, the reason I picked Ubuntu was because of LinuxMCE, which says it's an addon to Ubuntu, it looks sweet (check out the vid). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

BopNiblets wrote:
    ....Anyway, the reason I picked Ubuntu was because of LinuxMCE, which says it's an addon to Ubuntu, it looks sweet (check out the vid). :)

That LinuxMCE looks cool, the video shows it's capabilities very well, direct link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4422887272477313460&hl=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭nuada

Try Kubuntu, it's ubuntu but with the much nicer looking kde desktop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 macphisto

Hi,

I have started using ubuntu and i reckon its a great one to start with - Feisty Fawn looks the business imho:).
    Great GUI, but I can't wait to get to grips with the commands to unleash the real power of Linux....Will be trying a few more distros b4 installing one on my main pc...

Macphisto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

theres a few irish ubuntu users trying to get together to make a little
    irish ubuntu community

#ubuntu-ie on irc.freenode.ie

(the same server as the official #ubuntu, #kubuntu.#xubuntu,#gobuntu,#edubuntu.#ubuntu-server and all other countries communities are located.)

jump on and say hi

:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Ubuntu/Fedora core 7

Else

FreeBSD 6.2 stable if you want a challenge.
    Compile everything from source:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Hi

this might be helpful in choosing a distro for a beginner, like myself???

Linkage

• Registered Users Posts: 9 yolloms

MarVeL wrote: »
    Ok so I'm a complete neophyte in the world of Linux and I'm going to be setting up a box in the next week or so. Anyone any suggestions as to which distribution would be the best to get? Looking to run it as a basic desktop (for learning purposes) and possibly an email server.

def go for Ubuntu. version 7.10 is out now.

iv now gotten rid of windows and am running solely on ubuntu. new versions are released at least every 6 months. its come on so much since i started using it 1.5 years ago

• Advertisement

'Tis amazing the speed increase when I switched to Linux, I recently used Vista (just for a giggle!) and it's so slooooow in comparison. I could almost make a cuppa tea in the time it takes to boot up. Not to mention all those system freezing, reboot causing and time wastin' endless Widaz Updates it's just crazy! It's no wonder Windows drives you bonkers. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I use linux myself but have to keep the PC dual boot since I still "need" to use and test stuff on Windows.
    I used to use Slackware, then Red Hat for ages up to version 9, lately I am using Ubuntu which is very user friendly, initially I used version 4.01 but I got a copy(at a conference) of 7.04 and have updated. I actually think it is the best Linux distro for the Non-IT-professional user. or "linux for human beings" as it is marketed.
    I really liked the fact you could use it as a live-cd before installing it just to get a feel of it.

I agree I like the Live CD as well, it takes the risk out of installing Linux on a particular system. The days are gone when I'd install Linux, then find something doesn't work because of lack of drivers. At least now I know if I'm going to have a problem before I actually install. I'm glad most Linux distributions have their own Live CD now, they're very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Trying out ubuntu now as I speak and so far so good. Sound and video is fine. Everything I have plugged in is recognised and right now I am rooting around to see whats new. Easy enough to install and manual partitioning is a breeze. I gave it 16Gb myself (out of 100Gb) to try it out.
    I gave / (11Gb)
    /user (4Gb)
    /swap (800Mb) - I have 1Gb ram.

Later I'll install a few things like dosbox and so on and see how it behaves. No hanging black screens shutting down anyway - I used to get that on Mandriva 2006.1

Looked for dosbox in the Synaptic package managar. Sure enough it's there. That's pretty handy since in Mandriva it was a bit more involved - compiling SDL and opengl libraries first - before compiling dosbox.

Screenshot-5.png

Testing video playback in Ubuntu 7.10 is a charm. I had to post this image. It's rather funny! :)
    Screenshot-VELHINHOCEGO-THEX-FILES-.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Just wondering if it's even worth installing 64bit as opposed to 32 bit.
    I've tried BSD 64 bit but no go on my AMD 64 bit machine ie the live or install CD/DVD's just hang.

I have installed 32 bit BSD before but on 32 bit machines.

I would like to install 64 bit if possible.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 beta for AMD64. Apart from occasional problems with npviewer.bin, which seems to be a wrapper for the Flash plugin, it's no problem at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 beta for AMD64. Apart from occasional problems with npviewer.bin, which seems to be a wrapper for the Flash plugin, it's no problem at all.

Thx, might give the live a try.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.genunix.org/distributions/belenix_site/

Belenix is an Open Solaris Live CD , very like Knoppix in the choice of packages and very yellow on the splash screen

The BeleniX LiveCD allows you to test drive OpenSolaris in less than 2 minutes. BeleniX can also be installed to USB thumb drive allowing you to carry your operating environment, applications and data in your pocket. The LiveUSB boots even faster than the CD !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭derby7

Give 'Dreamlinux' a whirl @ www.dreamlinux.com.br.
    Dreamlinux 3.0 is the latest, its has Mac-ish eyecandy.
    Definitley a distro for newbies to try out to get you away from the WhINeDOWS !

Note: it seems to be down at the moment, but my download from mirror 1 was v fast the other day....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Dartz

Can't go wrong with Ubuntu...

I wasn't bothered with learning more about what was going on in the background, I just wanted something that would get a virus browsing the net, and wasn't to fussy about the myriad of file formats my office lecturers loved to foist me with..

You'll still find out a few things alright, and it does help to know what your hardware does. I got a nasty shock when I installed 8.04 and found that the touchpad on my laptop didn't work, and spend a few days kicking xorg.conf among other things to make it go...

Usually when bugs happen, you find out what causes them, then you learn how to fix them. Google the bug, and find the fix to apply.... you also end up digging through system files, and you see how things are arranged and what things do...

Sometimes, you only learn by poking the thing with a stick and seeing what it does. what does a particular setting do? Where did my GUI go?

I looked at Gentoo alright.... read the manual... and couldn't have been bothered. It was recommended to me by someone who knew their onions, but I wanted something that was as idiot proof as Windows to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Hi folks. Came some one recommened a Linux operating system that's easy to install, can boot from a CD and gives a good overview of the OS's various operating features? I'm considering Fedora.

I'm hoping to try out the OS on an Intel iMac.

There's also great help for Ubuntu on the forums. Anytime I've either asked a question or searched the forums I've gotten an answer that works. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

silvine wrote: »
    Hi folks. Came some one recommened a Linux operating system that's easy to install, can boot from a CD and gives a good overview of the OS's various operating features? I'm considering Fedora.

I'm hoping to try out the OS on an Intel iMac.
    As much and all as I like Fedora, I wouldn't recommend you try the version 9 (the latest) with KDE 4.0. It's quite buggy and I've heard the odd horror story. Ubuntu should give you a decent overview. Mandriva is very user-friendly as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Linux Mint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Another vote for Mint, its 95% Ubuntu but that 5% make all the difference. All codecs and plugins are enabled by default, interface is easier on the eye.

Neat little feature in latest release, Mint upload, you can right click any file (under 10Mb) and upload it, handy for IM transfers of pics or files. Mint host them for 2 days. Uploads really quick, full bandwidth, unlike msn transfers or imageshack uploads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Linux Mint +1!

Although I change the default programs:
    Images: Gimp + default viewer (forget) -> Krita + Mirage (mirage plays animated gifs)
    Video: Totem -> SM Player
    Audio: Rhythmbox -> Audacious
    Torrents: Transmission -> Deluge
    Also add Screenlets and Avant Window Navigator for eye candy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 diditwork

I dont understand why people aren't recomending Ubuntu?

Its the most fun dist out there i think, and also very easy to use!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 GavyWavy

most fun?

....spa

Advertisement