Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learning Finnish thread

• 22-05-2009 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

Moi, miten menee?!

Just wondering how many Irish people there are here who, like myself, are trying to learn Finnish because they might one day move to Finland with their Finnish OH and again like myself are failing miserably at learning the language!!!:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I wouldnt say too many, my OH father is Finnish and it sounds like a damn hard language to learn! Have you tried any of the pimsleur courses ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭brendanuk

i have tried in the past in finland. There was a course in finnish somewhere in Dublin (googled) http://www.sandfordlanguages.ie/courses/language.html?id=11&section=Evening

might give a go again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to learn it myself with the OH being from Finland I think it's important to learn it so to keep all options open for us in the future.
    I'm using the Teach Yourself Finnish by Terttu Leeny (spelling?) which is good to a point but is very orientated towards being a tourist.
    I'm also trying to translate Muumin cartoons taking them in segments, understanding what is written and then going back reading in Finnish but knowing what I'm reading. It works to a point. Some things stick, some don't.
    Have tried conversations with the OH but it gets so slow and frustrating for the both of us that we end up talking English.
    I saw the course in Dublin but unfortunately I don't live in the area.
    I have some language learning software too but it's really hard to sit down at the computer in the evenings when you sit in front of one all day at work!! :o
    Brendanuk what brought you to Finland in the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭NilByMouth

2 of friends have tried to learn it but had to give up!!!Its suppose to be hard language to pick up.Luckily there OH's like ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mattysin

i have got a load of resources but its very tough . i have a lot of finnish friends and have been to finland many times. i would live there but the language is a big wall

• Advertisement

Brendanuk what brought you to Finland in the past?

Finnish girl i met in Munich, we travelled about abit and ended up in Helsinki.
    We have a daughter together, so i go and visit couple of times a year.
    Have tried conversations with the OH but it gets so slow and frustrating for the both of us that we end up talking English.

When i was learning in Helsinki I used to come home from the course and try and do homework with OH and had the same problems. She said my Finnish was "paska" :(. You need to be encouraged and not get too frustrated, easier said than done! I am hoping my daughter will teach me now :)

People have done it so its not impossible, Keith Armstrong is a presenter on finnsh football tv and everyone says his finnish is very good, fluent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Armstrong

http://www.finlandforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4943&start=15

Hi Brendan,

thanks for the reply and the links. Great story regarding Keith Armstrong. As he said he did immersion in an area where nobody spoke English.
    If it was financially possible I'd give it a go but unfortunately it's not!

I'll keep plugging away here though. It's hard to speak Finnish when I get over there, maybe it's the Irish confidence thing but I feel kind of foolish speaking in pidgeon Finnish when I know everyone can understand me if I talk in English. The last time I was there we were in a pub and I answered a question in Finnish and everyone was looking at me as if I had 2 heads! It took them a few seconds to realise that I had spoken Finnish and not some sort of drunken English! :)

Dont worry they look at most foreigners like they have 2 heads :)

good luck with the learning, I cant really give advice as I am still at pointing stage and saying "mitä tämä on". Have ordered pints and bought things in shops.

What about watching dvds in finnish with english subtitles, if you can get them. Try and get OH involved they would be best teacher imo. What about listening to finnish radio stations on the internet?

Your right about making fool of yourself, I am learning more and have more fun learning with my daughter who also looks at me like i am crazy, but I dont mind that, she is minun kaunis kukka :)

Kiitos for the encouragement! icon14.gif

Have the dvd's and the internet radio stations, they are a help. At the moment I'm translating comic strips and then going back reading them in Finnish and understanding what the say. The OH is helping too.

How long were you in Finland for? Did you actually get work there? I've been on the finlandforum and it gets fairly depressing reading about peoples failed experiences looking for work!

How long were you in Finland for? Did you actually get work there?

Was there for maybe 7 months. Yes i got work in software house but wasnt great, paid the rent and thats about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

I've just started my Masters Degree in Tampere and will be taking language classes for the next two years, As they keep saying "it's not a tough language, It's just different"

It's true in saying the best way to learn is by being here,For the moment I just try and take note of words around me, cash registers door handles and try and remember them, hopefully I'll get to the point of translating newspapers soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

tsnu,i speak a bit of estonian,the person i learnt it from considers themself nordic not baltic,even though estonia is not strictly a nordic country,the characteristics of an estonian are similiar to nordic people and also the language is closely related to finnish rather than their baltic neighbours in latvia and lithuania.ethnic estonians closely resemble the nordic people a lot more than the baltics in looks ,mannerisms etc in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

anplaya wrote: »
    tsnu,i speak a bit of estonian,the person i learnt it from considers themself nordic not baltic,even though estonia is not strictly a nordic country,the characteristics of an estonian are similiar to nordic people and also the language is closely related to finnish rather than their baltic neighbours in latvia and lithuania.ethnic estonians closely resemble the nordic people a lot more than the baltics in looks ,mannerisms etc in my opinion

I agree, I'm Finnish and Estonian does sound a lot like Finnish, actually it sounds like Finnish with made up words. :p Some Finnish words are Estonian words too, they just have a different meaning. I think for a Finnish person it's pretty easy to understand Estonian because some of the words are so similar. I'm not sure if Estonian people are like Finnish people though, haven't really met any, but the languages for sure are a lot alike.

yep didn't know it was possible to repeat "Estonian" and "Finnish" this many times in one post :o

well ive been to denmark,estonia and norway,seems pretty similiar to me so im assuming swedish and finnish people are also the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭johnl

I like Finland an awful lot, I've just got back from my fourth trip there, a week in Helsinki.
    I've been slowly learning phrases and things for quite a while, but I picked up a lot of new materials when I was there, so I'm going to ramp up my learning now.
    I'm honestly surprised I am not the only person here even trying!!

anplaya wrote: »
    well ive been to denmark,estonia and norway,seems pretty similiar to me so im assuming swedish and finnish people are also the same.

Nooo that's what people always assume but it's so not true! :p Finnish and Swedish people are not alike at all, a typical Finnish person would be a bit timid and shy, quiet, sarcastic, almost a bit grim but very loyal, honest and trustworthy. I'm not saying that Swedish people aren't like that, and that's really a stereotype, but still. A typical Swedish person would be happier, more social and outgoing. And when it comes to languages, Swedish and Finnish are nothing alike. Norwegian, Danish and Swedish are all alike, and then Finnish, Estonian and if I remember right, Hungarian (sp?) are all alike too.

johnl wrote: »
    I like Finland an awful lot, I've just got back from my fourth trip there, a week in Helsinki.
    I've been slowly learning phrases and things for quite a while, but I picked up a lot of new materials when I was there, so I'm going to ramp up my learning now.
    I'm honestly surprised I am not the only person here even trying!!

That's cool! You can ask me if you want to know how to say something in Finnish, I'd be happy to help. :p I always find it really cool when someone is trying to learn Finnish since it is such a difficult language even in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Moikka kaverit!
    I've been trying to learn this awful language for 14 years now. Actually I tell a lie.. I quit trying about 6 years ago and just taking the passive route now.

suomi wrote: »
    That's cool! You can ask me if you want to know how to say something in Finnish, I'd be happy to help. :p I always find it really cool when someone is trying to learn Finnish since it is such a difficult language even in my opinion!

Thanks very much for that offer!
    Very kind of you :) I think I will take you up on it, since I'm making another big effort to get beyond the stage of simple phrases and to actually saying real things. I got so frustrated by the end of my last trip there that I couldn't correspond in the native language with my friends there, and that I had to force English upon them, which always makes me feel guilty.
    I generally pick up languages quite easily, so I think I at least have a fighting chance ;)

deman wrote: »
    Moikka kaverit!
    I've been trying to learn this awful language for 14 years now. Actually I tell a lie.. I quit trying about 6 years ago and just taking the passive route now.

Ah, don't give up!! I see you live in Naantali, familiar with the Moomins huh? :p
    johnl wrote: »
    Thanks very much for that offer!
    Very kind of you :) I think I will take you up on it, since I'm making another big effort to get beyond the stage of simple phrases and to actually saying real things. I got so frustrated by the end of my last trip there that I couldn't correspond in the native language with my friends there, and that I had to force English upon them, which always makes me feel guilty.
    I generally pick up languages quite easily, so I think I at least have a fighting chance ;)

Yeah you definitely have a chance, for me personally talking in the language with someone native is the best way to learn, so everytime I have a chance to speak English to someone, I go for it. :p Because you can learn all you want from the books, know the grammar and write sensible sentences, but if you never actually speak to anyone in that language, you'll never be fluent. At least that's what I think. :p So you should just keep trying, it's a great feeling when you can actually have a real conversation with someone in Finnish without having to use English! :)

• Advertisement

suomi wrote: »
    Yeah you definitely have a chance, for me personally talking in the language with someone native is the best way to learn, so everytime I have a chance to speak English to someone, I go for it. :p Because you can learn all you want from the books, know the grammar and write sensible sentences, but if you never actually speak to anyone in that language, you'll never be fluent. At least that's what I think. :p So you should just keep trying, it's a great feeling when you can actually have a real conversation with someone in Finnish without having to use English! :)

That's my aim, to be able to converse fully in Finnish, like I can in French and, to a lesser extent, Irish. My French was always good, but never great until I lived in France.
    I totally agree, speaking with people is the only way to get really good at a langauge. Unfortunately, all my Finnish friends are in Finland! And I don't know anyone Finnish in Dublin who I could talk to, really... :(

Moikka everyone!

Glad this thread is getting more active. :)

Moi Suomi. It would be great if you could help some of us here like your offer to johnl and I've also heard the Estonian language being described as drunken Finnish!:D

I'll try to add some links if I can to resources I've found over the years. Here's a few:

http://www.uusikielemme.fi/vocabulary.html

http://users.utu.fi/jmkark/kieli/kielioppi/lausetyypit.html

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Moikka everyone!

Moi Suomi. It would be great if you could help some of us here like your offer to johnl and I've also heard the Estonian language being described as drunken Finnish!:D

I'll try to add some links if I can to resources I've found over the years. Here's a few:

Yes of course I can help others too! :) The vocabulary website you posted is especially great, a lot of helpful expressions. I think the hardest part of learning Finnish is conjugating, since you can't just put an "s" at the end of the word like you could with most words in English.

I found this website: http://www.edu.fi/oppimateriaalit/suomeaolehyva/ It's all in Finnish but there's a lot of good exercises. You need to know Finnish to be able to use it though because all the questions are in Finnish but it's good for someone who knows some Finnish and wants to work on forming sentences and so on. "Harjoitukset" means exercises. :)

Kiitos for the link Suomi! I didn't have that one. :)

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Moikka everyone!

nah its not like drunken finnish,just similiar to finnish cept finnish words tend to be longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

Hey mates.

Learning the bloody Finnish language is not that difficult as you just pronounce the words and letters as you would pronounce Gaelic (Remember? It's the language you're suppose to speak).

If you guys have any difficulties learning, just ask me anything and ill hit it with the answers :)

Ps. Learning Gaelic is not that difficult as i have learned to pronounce it correctly just after few months of passive learning. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

About 95 percent of Finns speak proper English, so you can just easily manage with your native tongue and never need to learn the local language, so
    no need to worry :p

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

Article

Apparently Finnish is the easiest to read so i guess that's a bonus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

tnethacker wrote: »
    Hey mates.

Learning the bloody Finnish language is not that difficult as you just pronounce the words and letters as you would pronounce Gaelic (Remember? It's the language you're suppose to speak).

If you guys have any difficulties learning, just ask me anything and ill hit it with the answers :)

Ps. Learning Gaelic is not that difficult as i have learned to pronounce it correctly just after few months of passive learning. :eek:

That's very true, I've found having a good knowledge of Irish has been a big help espically with the sounds of the letters.
    Flynn wrote: »
    Article

Apparently Finnish is the easiest to read so i guess that's a bonus?

Again once you can pronounce the letters the words themselves are quite easy (maybe sometimes quite long) but if you can break tehm up it's easy to read as the basic sounds don't change.

Take for example 3721 = 'kolme-tuhatta-seitsemän-sataa-kaksi-kymmentä-yksi'
    3 thousand 7 hundred two tens one
    Except in Finish it's written kolmetuhattaseitsemänsataakaksikymmentäyksi :eek:

This is the book I'm studying from if anybody is interested..It's quite like the books we used to learn irish from, with short stories to translate and questions about your name, family and so on...feel like a 4 year old again but it's good.
    The only thing is it's all in finnish but I find that's the best way to learn even though I've written over half my book already :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭mmmmmmm.......

Originally Posted by tnethacker
    Hey mates.

If you guys have any difficulties learning, just ask me anything and ill hit it with the answers

Ps. Learning Gaelic is not that difficult as i have learned to pronounce it correctly just after few months of passive learning.

"That's very true, I've found having a good knowledge of Irish has been a big help espically with the sounds of the letters."

funny because i found having irish helped me learn swedish better!!!strange!:confused:

Advertisement