Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anime on Netflix

Options
  • 15-08-2014 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

I'm totally new to anime having seen only a very few titles, but as I'm so new and there seems to bee a large collection on Netflix, I though this might be a good way to immerse myself in a culture which I have been very impressed by the little bit I've seen. I'm wondering if some of you might point me in the right direction and tell me what are some unmissable tittles on Netflix, or if there aren't any there, tell me some titles that I can source elsewhere

(Just the titles will do lads, I'm fully aware of mods rules on illegal downloading and don't want to get any of ye in trouble :D)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Didn't really find anything on Netflix when I had the month free (could be completely wrong though!).

But if you do a quick search for Ghost in the Shell, any Ghibli stuff, Ninja Scroll, Akira, Perfect Blue.

(you can check the CR subreddit for some guest passes, http://www.reddit.com/r/crunchyroll)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Start with death note,hunter x hunter,fairytale :-D

If you can get a stream of them the two OVA's of Battle Angel Alita are amazing. +1 for Death Note. Elfen Lied, Kill la Kill, Stein's Gate (really want a Dr Pepper now). Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (and Arise), Cowboy Bebop....list goes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

I have Death Note on my Hard Drive. Haven't gotten around to it yet. Hunter x Hunter is on Netflix alright but only in Japanese. Must look for an English dubbing. There's 2 Fullmetal Alchemist TV series on there and a movie. Wonder if they're worth a go?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

pajopearl wrote: »
    I have Death Note on my Hard Drive. Haven't gotten around to it yet. Hunter x Hunter is on Netflix alright but only in Japanese. Must look for an English dubbing. There's 2 Fullmetal Alchemist TV series on there and a movie. Wonder if they're worth a go?

Don't think there is a dubbed version of hxh,I couldnt find one anyway,both FMA series are worth a look.

• Advertisement

I'm going to open the can of worms and say that Subbed > Dubbed. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Have to agree. Subbed much better then dubbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

No idea why you'd think that'd be a can of worms, I think most people would agree that subs are far better.

I use to be a dubbed only man but since watching hxh I think I could get use to watch subbed only now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

If a dub isnt horrendous, I prefer it to subs as can focus more on watching the show than focusing on the bottom quarter of the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Don't think there is a dubbed version of hxh,I couldnt find one anyway,both FMA series are worth a look.

No dubbed version of HxH 2011, the 1999 tv series was dubbed by Viz though which covers up to the start of the York New/ Spiders(aka Genei Ryodan/ Phantom Troupe) arc. There were three ovas with the 1999 series that take it to the end of Greed Island, but they were never released in English.

Whoa...see? :pac:

To be honest I lean to subs, but don't mind either (once they're of decent quality / translation). Great for picking out certain words / phrases to learn. Y'know, if you're ever in a situation that gigantic monsters are attacking and have to declare that you need your three dimensional manoeuvre gear!

Anything, aside from the aforementioned titles, worth watching on this list

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    If a dub isnt horrendous, I prefer it to subs as can focus more on watching the show than focusing on the bottom quarter of the screen.

Same here,like the dubbing in the some of the recent fairy tale episodes is just awful :-D

Anything, aside from the aforementioned titles, worth watching on this list

Are they all on the European Netflix ? :eek: soul eater and vampire + are two I enjoyed, haven't seen much of anything else.

Are they all on the European Netflix ? :eek: soul eater and vampire + are two I enjoyed, haven't seen much of anything else.

No, I just did a search for "best english dubbed anime" and got an IMDb list of 200 titles :D

No, I just did a search for "best english dubbed anime" and got an IMDb list of 200 titles :D

ahhhh right ok lol :D

Fell Metal Alchemist is great, there are 2 versions that tell he same story with some slight tweaks (the first was made before the manga ended so they had to make up an ending). I prefer FMA:Brotherhood though.

Code Geass is very good, if you can find it Baccano! is one of the best series made IMO, and Durarara!! is a spiritual sequel (same writer) that is also good.

Netflix here in Ireland is kinda sparse for anime if you dont like Pokemon, Gurren Lagann is quite crazy but features some great battles, I liked Knights of Sindonia (took me a while to get over the animation style, not my cup of tea). Kill la Kill has no dubs yet, and you really have to have no qualms about nudity to watch it, but it does feature some amazing looking fights and a quality soundtrack. HunterxHunter is also un-dubbed but has some fantastic characters, great fight scenes and even though some episodes are just 2 people talking before a fight, can get a real sense of tension from it.

AnimaxUK has some dubbed series but you need to get a monthly subscription to access its backlog, while Crunchyroll has no dubs but is totally free apart from the first week an episode is aired.
    Same here,like the dubbing in the some of the recent fairy tale episodes is just awful :-D

Ive watched all of FT subbed, and watched a few scenes of the dub and its "...but but thats not how they should sound!!". Same happened with Space Dandy, I watched it dubbed and then this season there are no dubs so watching the sub is painful as everyone, even the narrator, all sound off. Guess you get locked into how a character sounds and when it changes it grates.

Ive watched all of FT subbed, and watched a few scenes of the dub and its "...but but thats not how they should sound!!". Same happened with Space Dandy, I watched it dubbed and then this season there are no dubs so watching the sub is painful as everyone, even the narrator, all sound off. Guess you get locked into how a character sounds and when it changes it grates.

Season 2 of Space Dandy has been dubbed, the problem is with the files Wakanim are receiving which has prevented them from putting up the dubbed stream, doesn't help that wakanims online player is terrible. Season 1 is out on bluray in November btw.

• Advertisement

Fell Metal Alchemist is great, there are 2 versions that tell he same story with some slight tweaks (the first was made before the manga ended so they had to make up an ending). I prefer FMA:Brotherhood though.

Code Geass is very good, if you can find it Baccano! is one of the best series made IMO, and Durarara!! is a spiritual sequel (same writer) that is also good.

Netflix here in Ireland is kinda sparse for anime if you dont like Pokemon, Gurren Lagann is quite crazy but features some great battles, I liked Knights of Sindonia (took me a while to get over the animation style, not my cup of tea). Kill la Kill has no dubs yet, and you really have to have no qualms about nudity to watch it, but it does feature some amazing looking fights and a quality soundtrack. HunterxHunter is also un-dubbed but has some fantastic characters, great fight scenes and even though some episodes are just 2 people talking before a fight, can get a real sense of tension from it.

AnimaxUK has some dubbed series but you need to get a monthly subscription to access its backlog, while Crunchyroll has no dubs but is totally free apart from the first week an episode is aired.

That's exactly what happened,I got so use to hearing there voices when they changed they just sound horrific lol

I've found a few resources. If it says dual audio, I assume that means it's in English also!?

I've found a few resources. If it says dual audio, I assume that means it's in English also!?

Yup...well depends. It's usually English / Japanese. You should be able to select from either in the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

I would recommend going for Subbed, it's a bit more involved obviously but the voice acting and emotions carry alot more than with the plonkers they get to dub the voices (you also start picking up random bits of japanese which is cool when you realise you just know certain things without reading the text)

I can't imagine Fullmetal Alchemist without Romi Park

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Thought Netflix [UK/IRE] removed it's Anime section gradually til all that was left was pretty much just Ghost in a Shell ?

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Thought Netflix [UK/IRE] removed it's Anime section gradually til all that was left was pretty much just Ghost in a Shell ?

Doesn't even have GitS anymore, I think the licenses expired and they just didnt renew them due to low viewing figures, compared with more mainstream TV and films. Happens a lot with Netflix, some of the more niche shows and films get dropped after while.

BeerWolf wrote: »

Hunter X Hunter 2011, Captain Harlock, Kill la Kill, Gurren Lagann and Knights of Sidonia have all been added to Netflix UK/IRE since the start of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Mind you the Neon Genesis Evangelion (90s orginal version) and Cowboy Bebop dubs are excellent and the Kill La Kill dub doesn't look too bad. Overall I do prefer subs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

The only anime I enjoyed Dubbed was Ghost in the shell. I watch all my anime subbed but found the voices in gits to be perfect.

Advertisement