Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Like Being Single?

• 23-01-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Saw a similar thread in the Gentleman's Club.
    Ladies, do you like being single or prefer being in a relationship?

I have friends who are very happy being single and really have no desire to change that, I also have single friends who are very focused on wanting to meet someone. But I also know one or two people who are in relationships and are miserable, but are afraid of the prospect of being single and on their own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm very happily single at the moment. I'm happy in relationships when they're good. My happiness isn't based on my relationship status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

I'm happy being single ATM. I like being able to see my friends when I want to, have fat/lazy days, make plans at the last minute when I want. However, if I met the right guy I wouldn't be averse to a relationship. My life is always full, whether I'm in a relationship or single, a guy should enhance the life I already have, not make it, and I'm happy either way really!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

I would prefer to be in a good relationship than single, to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭NomadicMe

I am happy- I enjoy being single between relationships and seem to find a relationship to drift into when I want to. Not sure I am ready to settle so kinda enjoying playing the field :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I am single, and happy.

I would like to have the perks of being in a relationship, but heaven help him, he'd have to be a patient man to put up with me at the moment, I have a lot of plans for this year, I'm trying to do a lot of things and there's nothing in my life that will give at the moment to fit someone else in. Not that I wouldn't try, for the right person, but he'd have to be flexible. ;)

The only thing I'd really like is more nights out having the craic - all of my friends seem to be settling down (lots of engagements, weddings, babies... I still consider myself to be a baby most of the time!) but I figure it's better for these things to happen at the right time than to be forced - I'm all for the "What's for you won't pass you" philosophy. Not in a fatalistic way, but at the same time, no amount of pushing a square peg into a round hole will make it fit properly.

I really think being happy is the most important thing - in a relationship or out, if you're miserable, you're still miserable, whether it's alone or not. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Yes, for the first time ever I really do.

Actually its kinda funny. For the first time ever I genuinely don't want to be in a relationship and I've met someone that I really like. But Im resisting the temptation to contact him, as for me, at the moment, being single is more important, I feel so free and at peace, its hugely liberating. Im sure loads of people feel the same in their relationships, but I didn't so its a lovely welcome feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

i love it tbh :D

being single is great, it the being heartbroken thing thats bad tbh.

i try to make the absolute most of both being in a relationship, if i am, and of being single.
    that way ive got everything out of my system before getting into a relationship and theres no grass is greener attitude.
    right now though i have a ton of plans, a lifetime todo list, and lots of options ;) , life is pretty great so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sunshineboo

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Yes, for the first time ever I really do.

Actually its kinda funny. For the first time ever I genuinely don't want to be in a relationship and I've met someone that I really like. But Im resisting the temptation to contact him, as for me, at the moment, being single is more important, I feel so free and at peace, its hugely liberating. Im sure loads of people feel the same in their relationships, but I didn't so its a lovely welcome feeling.

This. Its the first time I've ever felt happy and content being single in such a long time since a bad break-up, I met somebody nice too but I decided not to pursue it.I agree with you Tigger in that its liberating, its like I've found peace with myself finally as cheesy as it sounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Honestly, no. I hate it. I like having my freedom and I have loads of friends but I'd prefer to have someone specific to share my time with. And pathetic and all as I may seem, as I get older it does get a bit more depressing- singledom never bothered me til the last 2 or 3 years.

I am grateful not to be in an unhappy relationship though, so it's not all bad.

• Advertisement

Yeah its funny, I also thought this at peace malarky was a bit of a con, but I just feel so happy. Im single, my jobs a joke and Im broke, but really happy.

Ok, thinking about it like that Im now beginning to wonder if someone is smuggling waccy baccy into my brekkie :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I find it grand. It took getting used to for sure, but I'm very content with it now. And glad - because I didn't really like whenever I was single in my 20s. That said, meeting someone serious would be great too, but til then, I don't have a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

can I ask what ages approx is everyone here..............

I am in my early 30s and would love to be in a gppd relationship

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm 28 and single. Almost always been happily single, not a relationshippy kind of person. :)

However, I've recently started watching 'Sex and The City' and now feel pathetic and worthless about being 'alone'. :(
    I don't spend my life hunting for my 'perfect match' or feel defensive and pitied about being single but apparently I should. If I reach 30 and I'm not married by then I'll just have to become a recluse or join a convent according to that show. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

This thread is kinda confirming my notions on dating/relationships/men and women in Ireland. Most my mates are single but certainly not by choice, great fellah's too.

Do we not exhibit any characteristics that make you feel a sense of unfulfilled romance, intimacy, sex, etc? What about sex drive?

Like when I see a woman that I find attractive in some way I'm immediately reminded of being single and how it sucks. For a lot of women they seem fairly immune to this here.

I know women are now money earners so that aspect of dependency is gone, so was it mostly down to the wallet in the end? They also dont seem to rely to much on men for company as here the sexes are fairly polarized from high infants.

:)

mid thirties here. By the time I reached thirty I did have that realisation that ah crap I'm thirty and on my own but then I never did anything about it before then and I went hell for leather trying to make up for it. Six years later and quite a few casual relationships on and I'm more relaxed about being on my own. I just haven't met anyone that has inspired me to want anything more.
    I have the kid (who's all grown up now) I've got my own place, I do the things I want to do when I want to do them and for all the time spent looking for someone I've ended up finding some half decent people who are now firm friends.
    I'm not sure there is another half of me out there. I think I already had that and I don't really want to settle for anything less.

Guitarzero I think that you are missing the point a bit and reading a bit too much into this thread:).

Being happy single does not mean a person (man or woman) will never want a relationship or that they don't love sex, intimacy or sharing their life with someone. They are brill aspects to a relationship.

Also Im sure that there are many woman that aren't happy being single, you are generalising a fair bit there.

Not really sure where you are getting the wallet bit, but it was never top of my list of requirements in a man.

I think I want to have a child at some stage but don't ever want to get married.
    My mother was on her own- she was never married, so maybe I get the 'anti-marriage' gene from her. Even as a small child the idea of a 'big white wedding' made me do fake throwing-up noises! :o

guitarzero wrote: »
    Like when I see a woman that I find attractive in some way I'm immediately reminded of being single and how it sucks.
    I honestly have no idea what this sentence is getting at. :confused:

Guitarzero I think that you are missing the point a bit and reading a bit too much into this thread:).

Being happy single does not mean a person (man or woman) will never want a relationship or that they don't love sex, intimacy or sharing their life with someone. They are brill aspects to a relationship.

Also Im sure that there are many woman that aren't happy being single, you are generalising a fair bit there.

Not really sure where you are getting the wallet bit, but it was never top of my list of requirements in a man.

Of course, I only take this as a token to something I had already given a bit of thought about. Sure, this thread (nor any thread here) shouldnt be seen as an absolute testament to any matter. But having had a similar discussion a while back there was a tone of creeping apathy with (these particular) women getting into relationships here, I dont think thats too far off the point.

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    I honestly have no idea what this sentence is getting at. :confused:

Seriously?

I think he means that he sees an attractive girl, thinks hmm she's nice, Id like to go out with someone like her, god I hate being single.

I think he means that he sees an attractive girl, thinks hmm she's nice, Id like to go out with someone like her, god I hate being single.
    Okay, I just read it as 'I see an attractive woman and think, I hate being single, it sucks,' because then I figured isn't meeting an attractive woman the good part of being young, free and single? :confused: :pac:

That's how I read it too

I'm 28 and single. Almost always been happily single, not a relationshippy kind of person. :)

However, I've recently started watching 'Sex and The City' and now feel pathetic and worthless about being 'alone'. :(
    I don't spend my life hunting for my 'perfect match' or feel defensive and pitied about being single but apparently I should. If I reach 30 and I'm not married by then I'll just have to become a recluse or join a convent according to that show. :rolleyes:

tbh i never understand the whole taboo thing about being alone/single at a certain age, it seems to be 30ish :rolleyes: , i mean if/when you get into a serious relationship that could be it then, forever and in love, so why rush it! enjoy your life now as free and single, cos you never know whats round the corner :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Boards can be creepy. I mentioned my status ages ago in one forum and some guy four months later on AH mentioned I was single. Plus I have had men contact me on here but as soon as I texted them and whatnot they pulled away.
    I am now very adverse to talking about being single on here. I would like to meet someone though, but I probobly wouldn't have time for them realistically. I'm ill and trying to manage a degree.

I think I want to have a child at some stage but don't ever want to get married.
    My mother was on her own- she was never married, so maybe I get the 'anti-marriage' gene from her. Even as a small child the idea of a 'big white wedding' made me do fake throwing-up noises! :o

exactly, :)

two things i was never into as a child, baby born and princess bride barbie :pac:
    i prefered my barbies with the great apartment and tons of outfits, or my movie character models.

i mean id never rule anything like that out, but so far im still just meh about all that stuff

eternal wrote: »
    Plus I have had men contact me on here but as soon as I texted them and whatnot they pulled away..
    That's never happened to me on boards. :confused:

:(

I genuinely believe that there are people on here who do nothing all day but stay on here reading posts waiting for you to trip up so they can pounce.

• Advertisement

eternal wrote: »
    Plus I have had men contact me on here but as soon as I texted them and whatnot they pulled away..
    That's never happened to me on boards. :confused:

:(
    I have had a good few contact me out of the blue. Some were pure chancers but a few led me on, do not know why they bothered.

Advertisement