Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How effective is spinning for trout?

• 23-09-2010 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

I remember when I was a kid, I used to spin on the local river (tolka) for trout, they average about 1.5-2lbs. Having said that, I never used to catch anything on them. How effective is spinning for trout? Would they be more inclined to take a spinner than say a worm? I never use one because I just have a mental block against them, also now that ive taken up fly fishing:D

And, why is it that most stocked lakes say "no spinning"? Is it becuause they are particularly detremental or might there be another reason?

Just curious is all.
    Cheers"!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

worming would be better than spinning for trout, than spinning. But people are usually better at on or the other, there is a skill in every method.

Spinning in a stocked lake is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

I find it depends which river iam on, i could spin a small river and then try it on say the boyne and not get anything and never have.
    As for the stocked rainbow lakes, its the dogs bo'lox:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

It depends on time of the year I find on rivers. I do very well when the mayflies are hatching on the spinner~!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

I find it better to stand still myself. ;)

Being serious, depends on the water, time of year, whether fish are feeding on fry, what type of spinner, weed, etc, etc.

Personally, I find it can be hit and miss although I enjoy spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Spinning for trout is not too challenging. I wish more stocked lakes would adopt the no spinning attitude or divide the lake if possible..

Grand for a young fella starting off, but that's as far as it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

The stocked lakes I've been to have all had no spinning policies, tho I don't know how well they're enforced really. One particular place springs to mind. You could turn up with a trawler and nets and they'd still let you fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

thehamo wrote: »
    The stocked lakes I've been to have all had no spinning policies, tho I don't know how well they're enforced really. One particular place springs to mind. You could turn up with a trawler and nets and they'd still let you fish!
    LOL.

As to the preference accorded to fly over worm or spinner. I have never seen any explanation for this policy. Perhaps a fishery owner/manager or an official charged with implementing the policy could explain the rationale behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

My local club has a "no Spinning" fly fish only policy, I think the main reason is to protect the younger fish who are particularly attracted to the spinner and a treble hook on an average sized spinner will destroy a young fish especially if the fish isn't handled properly. also its probably a bit of a tool to protect membership waters from over fishing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

A fly caught fish is in the mouth on a single hook.
    A worm caught fish is often (young trout) deep hooked in the upper gut, or rear mouth (gills area) on a single.
    A spinner caught fish is mouth hooked with up to three hooks, or up to six hooks in the case of Rapala type lures.

Given angler numbers, reduced trout stocks, the need for release of unharmed fish to grow on, the motivation for fly fishing rules is not hard to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Spinning is effective, in the right hands, but like worming and maggot fishing it does considerable damage the fish and is less sympathetic to conservation than fly fishing, but from the content of some posts on this site in recent weeks do many Irish anglers actually care? or is it all about the kill? and the look at me, me pictures and me videos how great am i mentality.

• Advertisement

premiercad wrote: »
    also its probably a bit of a tool to protect membership waters from over fishing

I think you hit the nail on the head there - it is to prevent over fishing, in other words to save on re-stocking fish, in other words to save money and to make more profits.

coolwings wrote: »
    A fly caught fish is in the mouth on a single hook.
    A worm caught fish is often (young trout) deep hooked in the upper gut, or rear mouth (gills area) on a single.
    A spinner caught fish is mouth hooked with up to three hooks, or up to six hooks in the case of Rapala type lures.

Given angler numbers, reduced trout stocks, the need for release of unharmed fish to grow on, the motivation for fly fishing rules is not hard to work out.

Most trout I have ever caught on a worm have not been deep hooked at all, in fact I can't remember even one. Perch for example are a different matter, they wolf the worm down.

The vast majority of fish - mackerel even - are taken on one hook of the treble not all three. Moreover, many are now spinning with single hooks as they find it as effective and less prone to snagging in weed.

Whilst I appreciate you have a major bias to lure fishing with artificial flies I wish you would refrain from spreading nonsense about other methods of angling that simply are not true.

Spinning is effective, in the right hands, but like worming and maggot fishing it does considerable damage the fish and is less sympathetic to conservation than fly fishing, but from the content of some posts on this site in recent weeks do many Irish anglers actually care? or is it all about the kill? and the look at me, me pictures and me videos how great am i mentality.

Who said it less sympathetic to the conservation than fly fishing? What utter nonsense.

What's this "my lure is better than yours nah, nan nah nah naaaaa:P"!!!

Why do you pull them out of the water at all? Because not doing so would be the next logical step in your argument.

snow ghost wrote: »
    Who said it less sympathetic to the conservation than fly fishing? What utter nonsense.

What's this "my lure is better than yours nah, nan nah nah naaaaa:P"!!!

Why do you pull them out of the water at all? Because not doing so would be the next logical step in your argument.

whats the point its like talking to a brick wall....................

garancafan wrote: »
    LOL.

As to the preference accorded to fly over worm or spinner. I have never seen any explanation for this policy. Perhaps a fishery owner/manager or an official charged with implementing the policy could explain the rationale behind it.

simply it is for conservation reasons. The majority of EXPERIENCED anglers understand that rationale. But there are many less experienced, less skilled and less knowledgeable who have not got a clue.

whats the point its like talking to a brick wall....................

I'll take it from that you don't have a credible response when your insubstantial claims are challenged?

I'll make it easy for you - why not post details of credible research that verifies what you claim regarding conservation and spinning compared to fly fishing.

Or is it just your own opinion?

simply it is for conservation reasons. The majority of EXPERIENCED anglers understand that rationale. But there are many less experienced, less skilled and less knowledgeable who have not got a clue.

What utter arogant and self-deluded nonsense.

What utter arogant and self-deluded nonsense.

I presume you mean arrogant.

I m not going to bother to get into a petty argument with you. If you do not understand or are not willing to accept the point of view of others then that’s a matter for you to deal with. I wont be rude.
    Thats all I have to say on the matter, if you want research on conservation do it yourself.

You can throw as much abuse at me as you wish but i am sorry i wont be Indulging you. I am not the type of person who exchanges personal immature insults with others on a public forum.

I presume you mean arrogant.

I m not going to bother to get into a petty argument with you. If you do not understand or are not willing to accept the point of view of others then that’s a matter for you to deal with. I wont be rude.
    Thats all I have to say in the matter, if you want research on conservation do it yourself.

Ironbluedun,

You clearly don't have any credible sources.

You deride other forms of angling and anglers and falsely claim that your personal opinions are facts. They clearly are not and you shouldn't pretend they are.

It is you that clearly is not willing to accept the point of view of others.

You are clearly being rude - just because you insult people in a non-direct manner doesn't detract from your derisory intent.

You don't have anything to back up your spurrious claims because there isn't anything - the Inland Fisheries board even promote worming and spinning for trout on their website.

...Whilst I appreciate you have a major bias to lure fishing with artificial flies I wish you would refrain from spreading nonsense about other methods of angling that simply are not true.

Heh Heh. You couldn't be more wrong pal.

I spin and fly fish together.
    Where all methods are legal, I carry three rods when out: Floating line fly, sinking line fly, and spinning. I alternate until the feeding pattern is established.
    Where you detect bias I don't know, here are some photos of my big lake trout setup.
    tube-fly-rod-rest-2.jpg

tube-fly-rod-rest.jpg

If it is my recommending fly fishing overall because trout are insectivores and fly imitates insect sized food items, well that is fish behavioural logic applied, not bias.

My comments are relating to conservation and fish numbers in the face of increasing angling pressure not an attack on your favourite technique.

• Advertisement

Heh Heh. You couldn't be more wrong pal.

I spin and fly fish together.
    Where all methods are legal, I carry three rods when out: Floating line fly, sinking line fly, and spinning. I alternate until the feeding pattern is established.
    Where you detect bias I don't know, here are some photos of my big lake trout setup.
    tube-fly-rod-rest-2.jpg

tube-fly-rod-rest.jpg

If it is my recommending fly fishing overall because trout are insectivores and fly imitates insect sized food items, well that is fish behavioural logic applied, not bias.

My comments are relating to conservation and fish numbers in the face of increasing angling pressure not an attack on your favourite technique.

I perceived a bias, but if I am wrong coolwings I apologise.

That said I stand by the rest of my comments regarding spinning and worms (although trolling for very big trout may result n more than one of the trebles being hooked) and I'm curious to know how conservation and fish numbers come into play if we are talking stocked lakes not allowing spinning? Surely most stocked lakes can easily obtain more fish to stock it with if they want?

It was not my intention to provoke an argument. I am sure that both fly-fishers and spinners alike would spurn trolling!

Many thanks to those who have taken the trouble to reply to my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

here are some photos of my big lake trout setup.

No dynamite ?! :confused::p

here are some photos of my big lake trout setup.

thats some float tube...fish finder rod shelf and all...........

Snowghost and Garancafan have a very good point where very large brown trout are concerned, such fish being exclusively predators and not susceptible to the fly fishing technique.
    To argue that a "fly" lure is good, and a spinner is bad, is verging on the ridiculous.

Who mentioned trolling? Not me - until now that is. But for ferox .... trolling is the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

What's wrong with trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

aidanf wrote: »
    What's wrong with trolling?

Probably a bit confusing on the angling forum more than any other for a new comers. "Trolling" on message boards like boards.ie refers to trying to start an argument on purpose or going out of your way to piss people off with sweeping statements and the like. You'll sometimes see people being refered to as "troll".

Edit - just to clarify i am not insinuating anyone is trolling in the thread - just trying to clear it up for aidan.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Probably a bit confusing on the angling forum more than any other for a new comers. "Trolling" on message boards like boards.ie refers to trying to start an argument on purpose or going out of your way to piss people off with sweeping statements and the like. You'll sometimes see people being refered to as "troll".

Edit - just to clarify i am not insinuating anyone is trolling in the thread - just trying to clear it up for aidan.

Thanks SeaFields, I know what trolling is in the online, post stuff just to get a reaction sense.
    Just when it was mentioned in this thread, which is about spinning, I assumed it was meant in the pulling a lure behind a boat sense. Rereading I see if could have been meant in the other way too so I'm not sure which kind of trolling the OP was referring to.

It was intended to be a pun.

• Advertisement

garancafan wrote: »
    It was intended to be a pun.

Sorry, I missed that:). Probably because I read an article about trolling (the fishing kind) last night and I had trolling on my mind.

The article was interesting though. It was about the effect of increasing perch and roach populations on trout populations on lakes. The basic gist of it was that as a lake gets more and more perch and roach in it, they end up eating more of the insect life in the lake, which leaves less insect life for trout to eat. But in turn the trout will start feeding on perch/roach fry and small fish of which there are plenty. The result is that trout spends less time feeding on the surface and more time feeding on the bottom and fly fishing for trout becomes less effective. So in lakes with a large stock of coarse fish fly fishing for trout becomes less effective and trolling becomes more effective. Anyone any thoughts on this?

Advertisement