Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off-Topic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

Anyone watch Panti on the meaning of life with gay byrne? quite interesting.. never knew he has HIV, thought he came across very well tho, hes so laughy!

im sure itll be rte player tomorrow if anyone missed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Someone followed me on my train home and was groping me despite me having said I had a bf and wasn't interested. Was on train and I really didn't want to cause a scene but I managed the situation. It still freaked me out that someone could do that to an underage gay guy and they would totally not know what to do. Bit freaky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Someone followed me on my train home and was groping me despite me having said I had a bf and wasn't interested. Was on train and I really didn't want to cause a scene but I managed the situation. It still freaked me out that someone could do that to an underage gay guy and they would totally not know what to do. Bit freaky.

Jesus, thats nasty. Was he drunk or like a proper predator? Good on you for managing the situation. I hope you would have been willing to 'make a scene' if things had escalated. Scary stuff.

Jesus, thats nasty. Was he drunk or like a proper predator? Good on you for managing the situation. I hope you would have been willing to 'make a scene' if things had escalated. Scary stuff.

I could smell a bit of alcohol on his breath so I imagine there may have been a bit of judgement impairment. He knew not to go any further but it was pretty unpleasant, even more so when I think about how surreal it was now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I could smell a bit of alcohol on his breath so I imagine there may have been a bit of judgement impairment. He knew not to go any further but it was pretty unpleasant, even more so when I think about how surreal it was now.

Sad to say, as a woman this doesn't surprise me- happens to a lot of girls. (That's not to take anything away from how horrible and invasive it was, I hope you're ok.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

The People's Debate with Vincent Browne

Wed 4th June, 22:00, TV3

Topic for debate is 'Homophobia in Ireland'

It should be interesting. Hopefully Paddy Manning wasn't invited...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Hopefully Paddy Manning wasn't invited...

I actually think one of these days he's going to explode live on tv. That amount of anger and self hatred just is not healthy.

I actually think one of these days he's going to explode live on tv. That amount of anger and self hatred just is not healthy.
    It's just a bit sad seeing someone feel the need to be politically relevant, so much so that they'll play themselves down to 'impress' their peers. He's also so caught up in US style left and right labels that I think he forgets to have proper discussions. The kind of people who put me off having an interest in politics, for sure. You only have to go onto his Twitter to see what I mean.

http://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/news/shameless-sex-acts-take-place-in-broad-daylight-phoenix-park-gay-sex

Looks like Sunday World have started their smear campaign with the referendum coming along. I don't personally like outdoor cruising but this is just ****-stirring at its finest, a really nasty cheap attack, especially the mother-child statement just to get people emotionally involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

http://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/news/shameless-sex-acts-take-place-in-broad-daylight-phoenix-park-gay-sex

Looks like Sunday World have started their smear campaign with the referendum coming along. I don't personally like outdoor cruising but this is just ****-stirring at its finest, a really nasty cheap attack, especially the mother-child statement just to get people emotionally involved.

Before considering the potential consequences of such negativity, I actually thought it was quite funny. It's laced with sensationalism - "packs of men", "Michael D Higgin's back garden", etc - and seems to be implying that this is a scoop and the result of some indepth investigation!

However, I think it has unpleasant undertones, and portrays those involved as one-dimensional sex-crazed creeps. It has a byline, so maybe a few of us such contact him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Before considering the potential consequences of such negativity, I actually thought it was quite funny. It's laced with sensationalism - "packs of men", "Michael D Higgins' back garden", etc - and seems to be implying that this is a scoop and the result of some indepth investigation!

However, I think it has unpleasant undertones, and portrays those involved as one-dimensional sex-crazed creeps. It has a byline, so maybe a few of us such contact him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

qweerty wrote: »
    Before considering the potential consequences of such negativity, I actually thought it was quite funny. It's laced with sensationalism - "packs of men", "Michael D Higgins' back garden", etc - and seems to be implying that this is a scoop and the result of some indepth investigation!

I wouldn't get too paranoid lads. It's a rag paper publishing a sensationalist article for clicks and newspaper sales. This sort of nonsense goes down well with their readership - regardless of the sexual orientation of those involved.

I've seen similar guff about dogging and swingers parties too where it's was mainly straight couples involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

qweerty wrote: »
    Before considering the potential consequences of such negativity, I actually thought it was quite funny. It's laced with sensationalism - "packs of men", "Michael D Higgin's back garden", etc - and seems to be implying that this is a scoop and the result of some indepth investigation!

Fully agreed. I loved the fact that it was only "women and children" walking past. The reference to a Pope was a nice touch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I thought these two images taken in a Vancouver photo booth in 1953 were lovely, and very brave. They could have easily been arrested for this photo at the time.

They are part of ONE National Gay & Lesbian Archives at the University of Southern California.

The image donor Joseph John Bertrund Belanger, the man on the right in the images, was a member of the Mattachine society - a very early LGBT organisation.

2011035_0011.jpg?w=461

2011035_0022.jpg?w=452

• Registered Users Posts: 40,790 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Video from about 2 years ago that has only started to become more known when it was covered on US television just the other night. It's quite hard to watch in parts, but Pepe is a true beacon of hope for reason and understanding in Uganda, worth watching if you have the time.

Oh, and utter confirmation that Pastor Sempa (eat da poo poo) is as dangerous as he is lunatic.

Sad to see Ruairi Quinn go.

He has been one of Irelands most pro gay rights TDs for maybe 30 years.

One of the first candidates ever to canvass in the George in the 80s

Very instrumental in forcing decriminalisation onto the cabinet agenda in 93

Very reforming in Education in terms of bringing in homophobic bullying codes and changes to section 37.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

My gaydar sucks but s/o to the cute guy in the black jumper and hipster glasses who's sitting across from me on the Dublin to Cork train. ;)

My gaydar sucks but s/o to the cute guy in the black jumper and hipster glasses who's sitting across from me on the Dublin to Cork train. ;)
    Panti had this to say at the Big Gay Sing, or something along the lines of - "It's tragic - now you can't tell the gay guys from the straight ones!"

A trans friend of mine has been kicked out of home after coming out and adopting her gender. Absolutely heartbreaking :( There is a long way to go...

• Advertisement

Over 100 AIDS activists and researchers killed in Ukraine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@!

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think the headline figure of 100 is correct on some of the articles saying that, but there's definitely quite a few including some very notable individuals.

Not possible that it was over 100 but a lot of prominent figures...so senseless :(

A number of reports are specific in saying 108

Terry Pratchet

That's going to severely set back research into prevention and treatment...not to mention families ruined...

Terry Pratchet

I thought this students message to the guy that punched him for kissing his boyfriend was very dignified
    To the guy who punched me tonight for kissing my boyfriend, I’m sorry that you called me fag. I’m sorry you hit me for no reason. I’m sorry that whatever insecurities you have don’t allow you to accept others for who they are. I’m sorry that I threaten you.

I’m NOT sorry I’m gay. I’m proud to be this way. I’m proud to be confident enough to love who I love and to love me. I’m proud to have friends and family that love me regardless of me. Honestly, I’m not sorry.

https://twitter.com/ColeLedford11/status/530578094823055361/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I was sitting in Waterstones the other day and I sat down with Graham Norton's and Panti Bliss's memoir. I have to say reading excerpts I thought Panti's memoir isn't really well written, Graham was surprisingly good writing. Panti's memoir was like a rushed diary entry really plainly written I wonder how long Rory took to write it. There is a bit of a love in with this book at the moment, sure there is an interesting perspective but it's not all that well written in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I was sitting in Waterstones the other day and I sat down with Graham Norton's and Panti Bliss's memoir. I have to say reading excerpts I thought Panti's memoir isn't really well written, Graham was surprisingly good writing. Panti's memoir was like a rushed diary entry really plainly written I wonder how long Rory took to write it. There is a bit of a love in with this book at the moment, sure there is an interesting perspective but it's not all that well written in my opinion.

I started reading it a couple days ago, 70 pages into it at the moment.
    I won't see it's badly written, but you are right, to an extend, it is written in a plain, straightforward way.

What I find interesting so far is the descriptions of Ireland of that era (the 80's). For me especially as a foreigner, who knows very little about Ireland of those days..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

TommieBoy wrote: »
    ...perhaps it was written by a ghostwriter? ...as so many memoirs seem to be.

'n hi everyone :)

Ghost-written stuff wouldn't seem rushed, so I don't think so. Rory seems well able to write lengthy passages (speeches, blog posts) anyway so shouldn't need a ghost writer.

Advertisement