Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation Thread (Info & Requests) '14/'15 PP * ALL ACCOM. POSTS GO HERE! *

• 22-05-2014 7:56pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For students looking to live in Waterford during college term, I have put together a list of common places I can think of. Feel free to ask any questions or make additional suggestions here. If you are looking for accommodation or have accommodation on offer - post away.

Estate Agents / Property Management companies are not permitted to post on Boards without prior agreement with the Boards.ie Community Managers. This can be obtained by email; hello@boards.ie. Thank You

Never be fooled by advertising campaigns and pictures of apartments that were accurate several years ago when they were built but have changed big time since! Ask other students for Feedback. The College has its own Accommodation Office which is located at the back of the Students Union Office (turn right as you walk out of the business building).

Manor Village - Manor Village isn't bad for first years and if your not looking for fancy accommodation. Apartments are basic enough, in okay condition and security is tight. After a certain time you are not allowed bring non-residents into your apartment. Some say they don't like party's, but I have found security easy going in that respect. They have a direct college bus also. Its right beside College St. campus and 10-15min walk to main campus. Its about 5-10mins into the city centre, 5mins (or less) to the clubs & pubs and is located near the main public bus route. Never been in Manor 2 which is supposed to cater for those in college a few years.

Riverwalk - Very similar to Manor Village but nicer apartments, more relaxed security but tight on people causing trouble etc. No restrictions on coming and going. Personally prefer Riverwalk to Manor, but the downside is your 10-15mins away from the main campus, 5-10 from College St. and pubs/clubs and again 10-15mins from the town centre. You are a fair bit away from the nearest bus stop for the city routes (closest bus stop is for Tramore). No direct bus provided either.

Railway Square - More luxurious apartments then most student accommodation. These were built in the last few years and seem to be in fairly good condition. Completely private, located right beside the cinema, bus stop outside, close to the pubs and clubs and 5mins into the city centre. Probably not idea for first years and perfect if looking for accommodation with a few friends.

Templers Hall - Houses situated in a mixed residential estate with families and students. Nicest houses are on the front and its generally quieter there. Have been a few troubles in recent years with students causing problems for other residents but after warnings from the college director, guards and students union - its probably going to improve. Downside is your closest to the halting site (the further back into the estate you go). Security warned us on first day about the estate, Ballybeg, which Templers is near. Cant say I found much, if any, problems caused by them. Some houses are good condition and some are awful - so check the house before renting. Located 5mins from main campus, close to bus stops and 10-15mins to College St.

Lismore Park - At the back of the college, more houses in a mixed estate (probably more families then students). Only problems here are parking related but as always when renting houses and apartments - check the condition first. 2mins from main campus, 10-15mins to College St. and is located on a city bus route.

College Fields - On campus accommodation at the back of the college. Never been inside and never knew anybody who stayed there.

Browns Road Complex - Close to Lismore Park. Never been there, cant comment.

Nearly all of the above have internet access but its nothing special!

Tips

Some tips from the accommodation office when looking for places to stay:-
    • Students should always view the accommodation prior to booking.
    • Always get a receipt when placing a deposit down.
    • Rentbooks should be supplied by your landlord/lady.
    • Rentbooks can be obtained from the Accommodation Office or Students Union office.

Besides looking here for places to stay check out;
    www.daft.ie
    www.manorproperties.ie
    www.g.fitz.com
    www.bookaroom.ie
    www.munsterexpress.ie
    www.collegecribs.ie

Notices are frequently placed on college noticeboards, in toilets and beside WIT Card Topup Machines.

Bus Routes
    There are two bus routes running ever 12mins or so to the college / quay including College St Campus. No. 601 & 603.

601 (Ballybeg) travels from the Quay -> Parnell St. -> Manor St. (across from Manor Village) -> Ballybeg (Stop 1, across from the old Waterford Crystal sight and above Topaz Cork Road), -> Ballybeg (Stop 2, directly across from the main campus entrance). It continues into Ballybeg after WIT. Note: This is an alternative route to get to the Quay. Jump on across from the main WIT Entrance and once it goes through Ballybeg (it waits here for a bit) it continues down to the Quay! View Timetable

603 (WIT) travels from WIT (Main Campus, outside main entrance) -> the former Crystal site (across from Topaz Cork Road -> Hennessy's Road (above Maxol / Aldi), -> College St Campus (across from Topaz Manor) -> Parnell St. -> The Quay. Note: This is an alternative route to WIT. Jump on outside AXA Insurance across from the terminus. It goes up into Ballybricken and onwards to the WIT Main entrance. View Timetable

There all around the €1.60 mark but it tends to increase every year. It is probably higher, I just don't know the current rate.

For people coming from Tramore. There is a revised timetable in effect for this route, including an additional route to assist those in WIT or the Industrial Estate. So please get a copy of the latest timetable, available here. The new timetable doesn't detail the routes around the town of Tramore.

The Route 360 will serve Waterford Bus Station, Waterford Crystal, Parnell St, Tramore Rd, Riverstown, Crobally Upper, Summerhill, Ribh Road, Cove Rd and Tramore (Riverstown, Summerhill, Ring Road x3, Newtown Hill, the Cove, Church Road, main Terminus). View Timetable

The Route 360A will serve Waterford Bus Station, Waterford Crystal, Parnell St, WIT, Six Cross Roads, Riverstown, Ribh Rd, Cove Rd and Tramore. View Timetable

Customers in Tramore will be able to use Route 360A to travel to Waterford Industrial Estate and WIT (Mon-Fri). It departs from Tramore at 0715 and 0815. For customers travelling from Waterford Bus Station to WIT and Waterford Industrial Estate, the service departs from the bus station at 1530; 1630 and 1730.

This thread wont be just a list. It can be a discussion on various places and also a point where folk can request accommodation etc. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

not sure if this is right place or not
    i have a house with 2 rooms available reasonable rents plus share of utilities. 1 double plus one box room if interested reply here and i can pm you

• Registered Users Posts: 5 O.K.

I just curious, are cats allowed in any of the accommodations mentioned?
    It's just that I'll be looking for a place where I can keep a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lisaitsurbday

Hi, I recently got accepted into a masters programme at WIT and need to find accommodation in Waterford by the 26th February, I would be looking to share but it would be more so with other masters students or young professionals and that seems to be where its difficult to find somewhere. If anyone knows of anything or any links I would really appreciate it! thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ananaa

Hi im just wondering is it hard to get accomodation for just a month? Need a place for april for placement for 2 of us and finding it tough to get somewhere.

Hi im just wondering is it hard to get accomodation for just a month? Need a place for april for placement for 2 of us and finding it tough to get somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Ananaa wrote: »

Hia
    there are some holiday homes for rent in Tramore, short term lettings until the Summer season starts.
    http://www.daft.ie/lettings/19-tramore-holiday-villas-tramore-waterford/1496387/

theres a few more.
    Tramore is about 15 mins drive, (half hr by bus)
    hope that helped
    good luck

ps i wouldnt worry too much about that 6 months minimum lease on that add, its a bit of a contradiction as it says its for rent only till 1st of june

me and one other girl are on placement in the regional hospital so need somewhere close to that on a bus route as neither of us will have a car. nowhere wants to take us for a month even though it would be money for them realistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭kingsofoffaly

Hi going to WIT for first year but am 21 years old. where would be the recommended place to stay? I've been on nights out in Waterford and friends have had houses in templars, but as all friends are gone now, wont know anyone in Waterford. My mother is insisting manor village but I believe maybe younger than me living there. so I'm not really sure. I'm a social person so always people in my house at my current college. So recommendations please.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭droptheworld

Anybody know what Manor 2 apartments are like? Thinking of moving in there in September.

Anybody know what Manor 2 apartments are like? Thinking of moving in there in September.

I was in them two years ago as a friend live there, they seem really nice bit security are strit

• Advertisement

I was in them two years ago as a friend live there, they seem really nice bit security are strit

Would the security be as strict as manor village?

Would the security be as strict as manor village?

I found that they were both they same as they are ran by the one management and the reception is just based in the bigger building.

Looking for 2 housemates for a house on Manor street September to May. €60 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 areilly101

Hi i was just wondering what the gardens apartments are like to live in? i heared they flooded a few years back but wondering are they okay for september 2015? :)

areilly101 wrote: »
    Hi i was just wondering what the gardens apartments are like to live in? i heared they flooded a few years back but wondering are they okay for september 2015? :)

I lived in them this year in the first block. I lived on the second floor so it wasn't affected by flooding. I wouldn't of went with the apartments on the bottom floor. We lived in the 4 bed apartment although it's big and looks really nice it was absolutely freezing all winter and the bedrooms got really mouldy. The heaters were bad so they never heated up the place. But then again all student accommodation is cold. They're alright to live in but I honestly couldn't bare the cold in winter I could see my breath in my room. Also knew someone living across from me and they said there apartment was always freezing too.

Thanks for the quick reply droptheworld, we lived in ailesbury this year and found mould to be a huge problem, is it a massive problem in the gardens? also was wondering if the showers are working properly as we lived in riverwalk in first year and found them to be freezing all the time, any idea about noise levels also? thanks for your help :)

Thanks for the quick reply droptheworld, we lived in ailesbury this year and found mould to be a huge problem, is it a massive problem in the gardens? also was wondering if the showers are working properly as we lived in riverwalk in first year and found them to be freezing all the time, any idea about noise levels also? thanks for your help :)

No worries :) I don't think it'd be as bad as aylesbury but I had an ensuite with no window and mould covered the entire wall top to bottom. I had 3 of those dehumidifier things in my room and they were full of water within a month. There was a small bit of mould in my room but in my friends room there was a lot around the window. The showers are the exact same ones as river walk has where you've to turn that box thing on to heat up the water. To be honest I never had a problem with the shower but the other girls said it always got cold whenever they had theirs. Noise wasn't bad you can hear people from the car park if your window faces out that way. Especially the people that live downstairs have doors out to the carpark so when they'd have parties they'd be outside being loud but it's not unbearable. My friends window was out on the street and she never really complained. There's also an issue with the internet. They have UPC but there not in each apartment. They have one box by the front door downstairs and that Internet is shared between the 6 apartments in the block which was really annoying because it was so slow :/

thanks for that information again droptheworld :) we've decided now not to go with the gardens and instead we've rang up enquiring about mannor village 2 also called priory house which seems to have good reviews :) thank you for all of your advice, you saved us from a nightmare!

thanks for that information again droptheworld :) we've decided now not to go with the gardens and instead we've rang up enquiring about mannor village 2 also called priory house which seems to have good reviews :) thank you for all of your advice, you saved us from a nightmare!

No problem! :) Wish somebody had told me about it last year :P Hope you find a good place! :)

Thanks so much :D

• Advertisement

One free room in templars hall in 3 bedroom house free for 2015/2016, 70 euros a week, share with first year two girls, decent banter and real close to cork road campus...pm for more info ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 22 samueldw

Does anyone have any comments about strawberry hill accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

samueldw wrote: »
    Does anyone have any comments about strawberry hill accommodation?

Ya they are nice apartments with decent size living area. Nice estate aswel where the apartments are - certainly less busy than other student areas. It would be more of a 2nd - 4th year area so if you are a first year I'm not sure it's the best place...personal opinion though.

It's a perfect distance from College Street campus (few minutes walk) but a decent trek away from the Cork Rd. Campus (25 mins +)

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ya they are nice apartments with decent size living area. Nice estate aswel where the apartments are - certainly less busy than other student areas. It would be more of a 2nd - 4th year area so if you are a first year I'm not sure it's the best place...personal opinion though.

It's a perfect distance from College Street campus (few minutes walk) but a decent trek away from the Cork Rd. Campus (25 mins +)

Thanks Callaway!

Although i'm enrolling in a masters, I'm in for the Craic xD. The Cork road one is the main campus (where I'm probably getting most of my classes), right? 25 min isn't too bad but i think I'm going for Riverwalk then.
    It is in between the two campuses and it is a tiiiiny bit cheaper. The only thing that bothers me is that I read mixed reviews, some praising it, and some with complaints about moldy rooms, bad internet and cold showers over there :S

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No problem.

Ya Cork Rd. is the main campus. Riverwalk is fine really, wouldn't rate it any worse than Strawberry Hill really. I would've said Templars Hall would suit you since you're a Masters student. Have you checked it out? I've lived there now for 3 years (not back till Jan though) and it's perfect for an older student/student studying Masters, especially being right beside the college and the houses mostly in pristine condition.

callaway92 wrote: »
    No problem.

Ya Cork Rd. is the main campus. Riverwalk is fine really, wouldn't rate it any worse than Strawberry Hill really. I would've said Templars Hall would suit you since you're a Masters student. Have you checked it out? I've lived there now for 3 years (not back till Jan though) and it's perfect for an older student/student studying Masters, especially being right beside the college and the houses mostly in pristine condition.

All I heard from Templars Hall till now was "Watch your wallet!" haha, I think I saw some cheap rents over there, but I prefer the "socialization" from an student accommodation if I can find one.

Thanks again for the info and thanks for teaching me a new word haha, I've never heard the word "pristine" before XD

but I prefer the "socialization" from an student accommodation if I can find one.

If you was social place templars is the social to be, its always buzzing with people at some point of the day, I find it very good to live in

• Registered Users Posts: 9 alexisawsome

Hey guys,

I am going to WIT this year and I want to be perfectly honest that I am looking for the best accommodation if my intentions are to really have a good time and party. From my reading of the forums no one seems to have asked this question (strangely enough) but from my reading I am going to avoid manor village and college fields as they both have tight security and as stated on the wit website charge €5 and require notice for guests .

So any advice on which accommodation to stay at. Also I will be drinking and partying. BUT NOT BEING A TOTAL SCUMBAG. So far riverwalk sounds good as security are lax on people staying over and it doesn't sound too bad.

(apologies for name this account is forever old)

Hey guys,

I am going to WIT this year and I want to be perfectly honest that I am looking for the best accommodation if my intentions are to really have a good time and party. From my reading of the forums no one seems to have asked this question (strangely enough) but from my reading I am going to avoid manor village and college fields as they both have tight security and as stated on the wit website charge €5 and require notice for guests .

So any advice on which accommodation to stay at. Also I will be drinking and partying. BUT NOT BEING A TOTAL SCUMBAG. So far riverwalk sounds good as security are lax on people staying over and it doesn't sound too bad.

(apologies for name this account is forever old)

Your best bet is templars hall, if your thinking about college like that already might as well stay at home..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i'm going to be looking for accommodation on my own this year i think, i'm looking for some tips. i'm thinking of Riverwalk, but how do you know who you'l be moving in with or is it just completely random? i've spent a year in Riverwalk before and it was grand, clean, tidy etc. but i moved in with people i knew.

not that i'm overly fussy, but i wouldn't like to live in one of those flat out, house party 5 nights a week kind of places because i don't want to live in a kip, at 24 i think i'm a little over that but i wouldn't be against having friends over and i understand it's college so the odd session is to be expected etc. other than that all i need is a parking space.

when is the leaving cert C.A.O. out? would i be safe enough waiting another fortnight or so before i look to get somewhere, just i'm heading on holidays tomorrow for 12 days

i do architecture in The Granary, so close to a bus route would be useful, i do drive but getting the bus twice daily would be cheaper than parking on The Quays.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement