Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your plans for the zombie apocalypse

Options
  • 17-03-2014 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Plain and Simple. What is your plan for when the Shtf?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

0))dont get eaten
    1) establish secure base of operations
    2) dont get eaten
    3) farm and fish
    4) dont get eaten
    5)rebuild/repurpose technology to suit my needs
    6) dont get eaten
    7) repopulate

oh and
    DONT GET EATEN

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭pompeyboi

Mine would be as follows: As soon as I got word of the outbreak I would gather supplies and weapons (which wont be a problem as everyone and there mums are packing round here) Plus I have a neighbour who would have no problem lending me a .22 or shotty. I'll keep My Louisville slugger and a few knives handy aswell. I would then proceed to drive me and my family out to the country to a house where I used to live which is currently abandoned and it’s way out in the sticks, surrounded by lakes and a creek for fishing/drinking water also theres wild game around there so I'm told so thats food sorted for the most part. I know my fair share of survival techniques so that will be very useful. I would search all homes in the area for food and other supplies and try and build a strong, trustworthy group which won’t prove to difficult as I left on good terms with my neighbours and I still pop out there every now and then. Defences will be improved and mantained. We hope to ride out this sh*t storm in our little country retreat lol Life should be as good as possible under the circumstances providing we remain diligent and work hard to survive, if the time comes we'll move on but that's just my basic plan. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

i love how everyone that isnt irish has a stockpile of weapons and a log cabin in the wilderness. best we have is a pitchfork and a barn.

which could be handy, nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I, for one, welcome the zombie apocalypse – sooner those feckers get annihilated, the sooner I can sleep easy at night :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Kromdar wrote: »
    i love how everyone that isnt irish has a stockpile of weapons and a log cabin in the wilderness. best we have is a pitchfork and a barn.

which could be handy, nonetheless.

Cheap, reliable, stealthy and can be used at a safe enough range. Tbh, i'd say it's better than having to rely on being a marksman and needing ammunition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Cheap, reliable, stealthy and can be used at a safe enough range. Tbh, i'd say it's better than having to rely on being a marksman and needing ammunition.

You can have the pitch fork give me a machine gun.{Big One}

the machine gun i could probably manage, but you're on you're own for ammo matey :P

299337.JPGWeapons wise, this is what I intend to get myself at some stage in the future

after an apocalyptic event there would still be plenty of scavanging opportunitys for raw materials like mercury, Suplhur, Nitric acid, lead etc..
    I reckon I'll have time on my hands to perfect my fulmination and nitrocelulose production techniques,

and with the Generator running I can fire up the Lathe to make more cylinders.

laying my paws on one pre apocalypse and getting a licence for it will be tricky tho

isn't it illegal for us commonfolk to have an operational pistol/handgun here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Head to Crimea. Sure is not region packed with spare uniforms, tanks, Hind Attack helicopters etc, so as to form local defence units.

Warning given - Not the right forum for a political debate.

• Advertisement

I see the mod warning, but, heres a question related loosley to the OP, if you were in the Crimea right now would you have bugged out yet?

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    I see the mod warning, but, heres a question related loosley to the OP, if you were in the Crimea right now would you have bugged out yet?

Yeah most definitely.

already one warning given folks, let's leave it at that yeah. It's a decent thread without bringing in any inflammatory remarks regarding the current political situation in Crimea.

SHTF plan would be to head to bull island, in the short term. not sure if it was discussed before, but im pretty sure the visitors centre has a diesel generator, 2 golf courses on the island so plenty of arable land, some fishing, some small boats / canoes at the sea scouts den, a small amount of old dwellings on the southwest of the island, and only 2 access points that can be crossed easily. find a way to get rid of the wooden bridge and you're down to just the causeway.

there's a garden centre at the end of black banks that could provide fertilizer and seeds. afaik there's a rabbit population that could also provide food. also there's a big beach to build a "help" or "survivors here" sign on, and its near the docks for shipping lanes.

may also be some short-wave radio gear in teh scouts den, not sure. worth a go anyway. also the shoreline opposite the island is sparsely populated for the most part, with the majority of it being st. anne's park.

fellow boardsies welcome, no guns allowed.

http://goo.gl/maps/XPUx0

SHTF plan would be to head to bull island, in the short term. not sure if it was discussed before, but im pretty sure the visitors centre has a diesel generator, 2 golf courses on the island so plenty of arable land, some fishing, some small boats / canoes at the sea scouts den, a small amount of old dwellings on the southwest of the island, and only 2 access points that can be crossed easily. find a way to get rid of the wooden bridge and you're down to just the causeway.

there's a garden centre at the end of black banks that could provide fertilizer and seeds. afaik there's a rabbit population that could also provide food. also there's a big beach to build a "help" or "survivors here" sign on, and its near the docks for shipping lanes.

may also be some short-wave radio gear in teh scouts den, not sure. worth a go anyway. also the shoreline opposite the island is sparsely populated for the most part, with the majority of it being st. anne's park.

Solid plan! But may I just enquire as to why u wont allow guns? For me they are a priority. I mean I understand the whole limited ammo and noise thing but theres only so much a a hurley can do for ya when ur surrounded by 100 flesh-eaters

have you heard of a thing called Rabbit Starvation? apparently a bunny rich diet leaves you defficent is some essential minerals and vitamins over time.

pompeyboi wrote: »
    Solid plan! But may I just enquire as to why u wont allow guns? For me they are a priority. I mean I understand the whole limited ammo and noise thing but theres only so much a a hurley can do for ya when ur surrounded by 100 flesh-eaters

the idea is to be quiet and not attract them, or lure them into an area that they can be dealt with in relative safety and efficiency. guns can quite easily be turned on other people. you're less likely to start a fight with someone when they can fight back, than you are if you're aiming a gun at them. it would hopefully prevent the idea that whoever owns the gun(s) will try a takeover. also the only people who own firearms before the downfall will generally be farmers [would welcome them, realistically] or straight up crackpots/drug dealers/criminals. or the odd gun enthusiast, but i would think they're in the minority in the dublin area. sure if the military came along, we'd have to give in. i just think things would be safer.

one use i may have overlooked is defense against raiders, but if we make the island inaccessable enough it might deter them. we would have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

also on the rabbit comment [i'll learn to multi-quote someday] it would be an addition to a meal, but until someone releases a herd of cows on the island, we're sticking to bunnies.

now that i think of it there is a herd of cows not too far away on the other side of baldoyle...

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    have you heard of a thing called Rabbit Starvation? apparently a bunny rich diet leaves you defficent is some essential minerals and vitamins over time.

plenty of fishing to be done down by the lady too, water is exceptionally clean there the last few years so there's mackerel to be had for friday nights!

As was mentioned - arable land on the golf course. Protective marshes would effectively bog down anything attempting to come through on foot, just one route to defend. Remote enough to house at least a score of people, not so remote you wouldnt be able to raid by dingy into clontarf, raheny, sutton, bayside, and howth. If you were desperate enough you could get to Wales in a few hours with an outboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

set up shop in a local strong point invite my neighbours create our own little woodbury without the fascist leader

set up shop in a local strong point invite my neighbours create our own little woodbury without the fascist leader

Haha I like it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

Has anyone thought about using an old castle for a bug out point?
    Not the ones that have half the building missing but the ones that are in good nick and have been restored. I mean theres plenty of room, easily defendible, usually on a lake/rivers edge with limited ways in. It seems like the perfect place

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

bushball wrote: »
    Has anyone thought about using an old castle for a bug out point?
    Not the ones that have half the building missing but the ones that are in good nick and have been restored. I mean theres plenty of room, easily defendible, usually on a lake/rivers edge with limited ways in. It seems like the perfect place

I suggest that you re-read World War Z. Most "castles" that are reasonably intact are designed and built as homes, not fortress's

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm staying put, I'm in a small town, have access to a factory with a backup generator, metal and woodworking facilities. There are plenty of springs in the area for fresh water. Farm land all around.

I'll get into the factory which already has high walls and start making weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I've always struggled to understand why people are so concerned with merely surviving in the post zombie apocalypse world. My main goal would be the eradication of the zombie threat, so that the vastly reduced population could reclaim the much emptier world and all of the riches that would bring.

Some speculative numbers:
    • Assuming that 20% of the population are either killed outright in the initial panic, murdered by other human beings in the aftermath, dead due to long term illnesses that require treatment or medication which is no longer available, or completely dismembered by the horde.
    • Assuming that 79% of the population become zombies, of which 20% become entrapped, dismembered, or otherwise immobilized and neutralized as a threat due to their stupidity.
    • 1% of the population remain unaffected, either through immunity or managing to escape the grasp of zombies and other humans.

In the Republic of Ireland, that leaves us with around 46,000 survivors, who are by default almost guaranteed to be fit, reasonably smart and able bodied.

It also leaves us with around 2,900,000 zombies that are free roaming and dangerous.

The survivors only need to kill 63 zombies each to clear the country. So, that's my plan. Kill more than 63, encourage everyone else to do the same. Profit.

It also leaves us with around 2,900,000 zombies that are free roaming and dangerous.

The survivors only need to kill 63 zombies each to clear the country. So, that's my plan.
    The problem would be that those 46,000 survivors would be spread out and wouldn't be able to act as one force. where as the zombies would probably be in large clumps of hundreds if not thousands. There would be a horde of hundreds of thousands spreading out from Dublin picking up stragglers.

I think the bigger percentage would be people who die of starvation, leaving a smaller zombie number. So perhaps the zombie horde won't be quite as large.

ScumLord wrote: »
    The problem would be that those 46,000 survivors would be spread out and wouldn't be able to act as one force. where as the zombies would probably be in large clumps of hundreds if not thousands. There would be a horde of hundreds of thousands spreading out from Dublin picking up stragglers.

I think the bigger percentage would be people who die of starvation, leaving a smaller zombie number. So perhaps the zombie horde won't be quite as large.

This is where the old "are they runners or walkers" question raises its head. Humans are smart, zombies are not.

Once the initial panic is over, the survivors are going to find ways to split a large horde or corral smaller groups. Trap them and kill them off.

I don't think there's anything scary about slow zombies, they'd be easy to pick off and outmaneuver. One able bodied man could potentially slay dozens of them every day.

Runners are a whole other bag.

In the Republic of Ireland, that leaves us with around 46,000 survivors, who are by default almost guaranteed to be fit, reasonably smart and able bodied.

The survivors only need to kill 63 zombies each to clear the country. So, that's my plan. Kill more than 63, encourage everyone else to do the same. Profit.

Zombies don't give a flying braineating-fcuk about borders, so ye can add in the population of Norn Iron to that equation too :) And possibly the Isle of Man, consider they dont use their lungs and can walk almost indefinitely underwater

Zombies don't give a flying braineating-fcuk about borders, so ye can add in the population of Norn Iron to that equation too :) And possibly the Isle of Man, consider they dont use their lungs and can walk almost indefinitely underwater

Fair enough on using the island as a whole, I had thought about that - but the ratio would be unchanged. It would still be 63 zombies each, no matter what the population was! :pac:

As for walking under water - have you ever tried it? I don't think they'd get very far. :p

I don't think there's anything scary about slow zombies, they'd be easy to pick off and outmaneuver. One able bodied man could potentially slay dozens of them every day.
    The thing that is always overlooked in the movies is that somehow zombies are infectious enough to infect the entire planet but not infectious enough to infect the people turning them into mush. I think it'll be a huge risk hacking your way through a horde of zombies. If it's a bacteria or virus it's going to infect you once you come into contact with it through bodily fluids.

The only way to combat that would be with makeshift hazard suits. That on top of armour is going to weigh you down and turn the inside of your hazard suit into a sweat sack.

The other thing is if you come across another survivor and it's a prolonged disease like I think, how are you going to trust that they're not infected? If it's prolonged most people won't want to get within 10 feet of someone they don't know. Any meeting is going to have to include a quarantine time to ensure the people you're dealing with aren't a threat.

• Advertisement

As for walking under water - have you ever tried it? I don't think they'd get very far. :p

Me? I'm not a zombie, not yet anyway :P

I refer you to 'The zombie survival guide' - (Max Brooks) and 'Land of the Dead' -George Romero 2005.

RE: TZSG
    The lungs of the undead continue to function in that they draw air into and expel it from the body. This function accounts for a zombie's signature moan. What the lungs and body chemistry fail to accomplish, however, is to extract oxygen and remove carbon dioxide. Given that Solanum obviates the need for both of these functions, the entire human respiratory system is obsolete in the body of a ghoul. This explains how the living dead can "walk underwater" or survive in environments lethal to humans. Their brains, as noted earlier, are oxygen independent. -related note: At the end of the Battle of Yonkers, a themobaric weapon was detonated to cover the U.S. Army's retreat. A morbidly interesting after-effect is that those zombies present who were not outright destroyed by the bomb had their lungs pulled inside out through their mouths as a result of the bomb's implosion. When the U.S. later retook the New York area, they found hundreds of zombies oblivious to their lungs dangling out of their mouths, unable to moan

RE: Land of the Dead
    This still is the only one i can find without actually sticking in the DVD and screencapturing it - the zombies pictured below just prior to them being fully submerged walking towards the secured survivors enclave
    landofthedead_1202770375-000.jpg

Advertisement