Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4s or Galaxy SIII

• 06-06-2012 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Curly Watts

So going to pick up one of these Monday. Which would you opt for, no doubt alot will say here Galaxy and on the Apple forum say iPhone looking for some unbiased opinions.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

4S is already a good seven months old.

Can you wait a few months until we know more about the iPhone 5?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭vider12

Iphone 4s is vastly superior than all other phones. The iPhone 5 hasn't been rumored for a release date it'll more than likely be after Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

vider12 wrote: »
    Iphone 4s is vastly superior than all other phones.

Care to elaborate why?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,043 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Iphone 4s is vastly superior than all other phones. The iPhone 5 hasn't been rumored for a release date it'll more than likely be after Christmas

facepalm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Curly Watts

Well I need a new phone asap, my one has kicked the bucket so I'm going to purchase on Monday.

Friend has offered an Xperia S, he is selling. Anyone got experience with these, are they a good phone or should I opt for an iPhone or GS3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

It amazes me that people find IOS easier. I came from IOS to ICS. ICS is simple to use and if you just want a grid of icons and folders like IOS then just do that on your Android. The Back button is invaluable, and recently having bought an Ipad you really miss it when using apple devices. Copying music, photos and videos is as simple as copying to a flash drive, copy and paste, not so with an IOS device (come on itunes is the pits), and you can play anything. Look at what you use your phone for. Is screen important, the iphone is tiny, although some prefer this. Being a Google device, I find Browsing and the Email/Gmail app far superior in ICS, and I cant say its any more difficult. If you want to push the boundaries and customize your phone with widgets etc (as oppose to a grid of icons) you can with some fantastic options. The top Apps that I use are as good as IOS, but IOS is probably better overall for Apps in general. IMO IOS is actually starting to look dated, it'll be interesting to see what Windows 8 brings to the table, it looks very modern. I bought a Galaxy Nexus, and right now could not go back to IOS. Having said that a mate bought an S2 and preferred IOS!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Mr.S sums it up

Its each to their own really. Some iphone users can be annoying however, if they just claim its better for no other reason than their own opinion, and the fact they own one.

Android users will instantly point out the fact, their high end android has better technical specifications, which they do, generally. Some people just prefer Iphones, thats fine, its just theres no need to gloat about it. People who do this = 'Fanboys'

OP, just try both of them out and see which one you honestly prefer, although even if you prefer the 4S, remember that the hardware is 2 years old effectively so it would make sense to upgrade to the 5. The s3 however will probably remain cutting edge for another 12 months

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Android is a bit clunky, but i think that clunkyness has been overstated to some extent.... and later versions have addressed it somewhat.

Right now......i still think the GS3 is better specd phone.

So that's all votes for the s3 and no one mentioned the Xperia S which I've been offered? Should I avoid it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭kirving

Xperia is a lovely phone alright. I don't like the look of the GS3, and quad-core is meaningless really. The phone won't be noticeably faster in real life.

Here's a good comparison.

http://geekaphone.com/compare/Apple-iPhone-4S-vs-Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-arc-S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Is not the most cutting edge android, and Sony/Sony Ericsson haven't been the most popular android manufacturer in recent years. Not sure about the design of it either, its fairly thick, although it is still a good looking handset

Try it by all accounts, you might like it, its not without its good points certainly. what price can you get it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lemon_grass

Make sure you're okay with the larger form factor of the GS3 first. But as predicaments go it's one of the better ones to be in, either way you win as they are both great phones and operating systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Android is clunky??
    I fail to see how this is ICS makes android feel like iOS if not better IMO previous versions of Android ie 2.X was a bit buggy but not in ICS at all.

Isn't the s3 a bit ... big though? I tend to slightly prefer Android, but the phones seem very big. Maybe a htc one s .. I don't know which to choose :( I did have the 3gs though and liked it alot at the time..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

AppleAndroidShove.jpg

OP do you have friends with these phones? How about you try them out with them and see for yourself?
    The important thing is what system you like, not which one we like.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well, just to add along the lines of what the guys are saying above about the 4S being "outdated." To me the handy thing with going down the Android route and what appealed the most was not being locked to any 1 manufacturer. Which I considered to be a limitation of the iOS devices. Might be something you'd want to consider if you need to change phone again in a couple of years due to one going kaput again.

Really you are looking among what is currently the top of the range on both. So it makes very little odds which you choose to go for.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I call fanboy unless you can back it up. :)

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4238&idPhone2=4212

Each to their own I say, but vastly superior to all other phones?

Could the iphone destroy a building?

4aa.jpg

So really you're talking about specific areas where one phone is better than another phone. There is no one best phone. Depends on the user, their preferences and uses.

Where I would like the iPhone as it's smaller, I think the screen is a little too small. If it were 4 inch it would be perfect, so what to go for. I can get an S3 but thinking it would be too big and awkward on a night out? Don't want to get an iPhone where in a few months time a newer one is out and it's exactly what I'm looking for but I need a decent phone, and will be picking one up Monday regardless..

Anyone here have the S3 and what are their thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

they both have their pros and cons, I was android and changed to ios, I like and dislike aspects of both. anti-apple fanboys are almost as annoying as pro-apple fanboys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

I got an SIII last week after having a original Galaxy S for 2 years.

Personally I am not a fan of iOS's restrictive policies, hence I opted for an Android as my first smartphone.

IMO iOS is very slick. The obvious advantage of Apple devices over Android is that there is an inextricable link between the hardware and the software - Apple won't allow software that can not be handled by the hardware.
    Having an active interest in digital media (sound recording), I had always been conditioned to assume that Apple was the best.

On the other hand, one of the disadvantages of Android is just simply that it is not as slick as iOS. Even with the high-end Galaxy S (as it was when I first got it), Android 2.2 and later 2.3, with Samsung's mediocre Touchwiz overlay, were kinda clunky, as other posters have referred to.

However, once I got into the wholle Android experience, I was able to flash custom ROMs, replacing Touchwiz with much faster, smoother and more capable UI's, which dramatically changed the user experience for me. I would go so far as to say it revolutionised the experience for me.

And that is, in a nutshell, the beauty of Android. There are no restrictions. Because the source OS is open source, there is a vast community of developers and 'active' users, who are constantly developing, tweaking and updating the operating system.

With iOS, apps are really the only way you get to customise your device.
    With Android, the customisation options are almost limitless.

As for the Galaxy SIII, Samsung have updated the Touchwiz interface and it is extremely slick. (much more so than iOS5 on the 4S, IMO) However, while the phone is phenomenal in every sense of the word, I do get the feeling that it could do a huge amount more, if I flash a custom ROM and get rid of the bloated processor-hungry Samsung overlay. Right now I'm happy to enjoy my new phone out-of-the-box, as the manufacturer intended. But it's only a matter of time before the real customisation bug bites again!

My advice would also depend on your own personal preference. If you feel like you could happily go down the iOS route, with limited customisation capabilities, but with an extremely polished device with no glitches, then I would also advise that you wait for the iPhone 5.

However, if you would be the type to extract value from the customisability of Android, then I would advise you to go with the SIII (if the purse strings allow)

A quick comment on the Xperia S - in my opinion, SE are the most restrictive manufacturers when it comes to Android. Check out the xda forums for some first-hand user advice. I would avoid this handset unless you have an extremely compelling reason in its favour (like - you're getting it for free!!)

Hope this helps. Best of luck with your decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Ken bryan

Get the sony xperia P on 3 for 70 euro on 25 euro contract.
    It is same size as I phone .

Much appreciate your replies, especially plys.

On the restriction side of iOS, once it's jailbroken, can it not be just as easy to customize the iPhone? I am swaying towards the S3 at the minute, but can't help feeling it might just be too big. What's it like day to day? Do you find it too big and awkward?

I would like a bigger screen than the iPhone, but just not as big a phone. Is the HTC One S a decent phone compared to the S3 or two different leagues?

The experia S is good phone . But due to its size and processor it only lasts about a day .
    The Samsung is the best phone you can buy .
    But quad core will use alot o power as will the such a large display.
    The best phone for battery life is the experia ray . It small . Like nokia size . Hence the great battery life .
    But these hq displays are gluttens for power. As are their High power processors .

I have Just Bought the Experia p on 3 on tue .
    i like the aluminum body . It has a quality feel to it .
    I dont like the plastics that Htc and Samsung use .
    Also the p will be getting a Dock so you can surf the web on your tv using you phone connection .
    Their has been seems to be a small issue with the attenna
    The bar goes from 3 to 1 3 g reception depending on how you hold the phone . .
    After googling it . It seems to be normal for 3 G phones .
    But hoplfuly we will hear more from Sony soon on this issue .

An ultra-bright viewing experience

Sony Xperia P TV Dock Unveiled !

Sony, Sony Xperia P

Sony have unveiled the Sony Xperia P TV dock which enables you to easily connect Sony's smartphone to a HDTV using HDMI.

After docking your Sony Xperia P in the TV dock you can then use your TV's remote to control the smartphone, which is a rather novel feature. This enables you to view your multimedia files on your TV, view your photos or listen to your music.

Additionally, the Xperia P TV Dock enables you to connect a keyboard and mouse over Bluetooth. This enables you to use your Xperia P to browse the internet on your HDTV. You'll then be able to browse Youtube and your social networks all from the comfort of your sofa.

Another bonus is that when docked your Xperia P smartphone will be charging, which ensures you don't have a flat battery when you remove it from the dock. The Sony Xperia P TV Dock is due to launch very soon and as soon as we get more details we'll let you know.

The Sony Xperia P is a stunning smartphone which is the first to support WhiteMagic technology which ensures its 4 inch Mobile Bravia touch-screen is visible in all light conditions. Infact, the display automatically adjusts its brightness to match the surrounding environment which saves the battery.

Powering the Xperia P is a dual-core 1 GHz processor, while it has 16GB of onboard memory and an 8 mega-pixel camera. Supported connectivity includes 3G , WiFi and easy-HDMI. You can read 3G's review of the Sony Xperia P by clicking here.

The Xperia NXT Series – next generation smartphones from Sony.
    Available colors
    Black_18x18_Swatch.pngSilver_18x18_Swatch.pngRed_18x18_Swatch.png

xperia-p-silver-486x489.png

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-p/

This will be available for the p soon

Sony Xperia P TV Dock Unveiled !

lg-share-en.gif

Sony have unveiled the Sony Xperia P TV dock which enables you to easily connect Sony's smartphone to a HDTV using HDMI.

After docking your Sony Xperia P in the TV dock you can then use your TV's remote to control the smartphone, which is a rather novel feature. This enables you to view your multimedia files on your TV, view your photos or listen to your music.

Additionally, the Xperia P TV Dock enables you to connect a keyboard and mouse over Bluetooth. This enables you to use your Xperia P to browse the internet on your HDTV. You'll then be able to browse Youtube and your social networks all from the comfort of your sofa.

Another bonus is that when docked your Xperia P smartphone will be charging, which ensures you don't have a flat battery when you remove it from the dock. The Sony Xperia P TV Dock is due to launch very soon and as soon as we get more details we'll let you know.

The Sony Xperia P is a stunning smartphone which is the first to support WhiteMagic technology which ensures its 4 inch Mobile Bravia touch-screen is visible in all light conditions. Infact, the display automatically adjusts its brightness to match the surrounding environment which saves the battery.

Powering the Xperia P is a dual-core 1 GHz processor, while it has 16GB of onboard memory and an 8 mega-pixel camera. Supported connectivity includes 3G , WiFi and easy-HDMI. You can read 3G's review of the Sony Xperia P by clicking here.

krudler wrote: »
    they both have their pros and cons, I was android and changed to ios, I like and dislike aspects of both. anti-apple fanboys are almost as annoying as pro-apple fanboys.

Which would you prefer now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Joe Kelleher

I was a blackberry user but changed to the iphone last November. It is a great little 'machine'. I have no regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Don't know about the SIII but I had a Htc One X, which is very similar, and a 4S.
    As said above, it's down to personal preference and for me IOS won out (just about though).
    I don't really get the aversion to iTunes either, but maybe thats because I have a mac. It does the job perfectly fine with no issues.
    The screen is fab on the One X, but probably a tiny bit too big for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Which would you prefer now?

right now my iphone but i'l wait and see what the 5 is like and decide between than and the s3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

On the restriction side of iOS, once it's jailbroken, can it not be just as easy to customize the iPhone?

I am not overly familiar with the customisability of a jailbroken iPhone, so maybe another poster can add commentary in that regard.

I am swaying towards the S3 at the minute, but can't help feeling it might just be too big. What's it like day to day? Do you find it too big and awkward?

I would like a bigger screen than the iPhone, but just not as big a phone. Is the HTC One S a decent phone compared to the S3 or two different leagues?

I don't have shovels for hands, and I don't find the S3 too big. That said, it is at the limit of what I would be comfortable with, both in the hand and in the pocket. I said the same thing when I got the original Galaxy S, but got accustomed to it over time, so who knows but that I will adapt to the S3 in the same way?

I haven't used the One S, but I have used the One X and I personally think it is inferior to the S3. It feels bigger and heavier in the hand, and for me just isn't as slick.

One overriding piece of advice I will offer is that the standard of smartphones these days is awesome. No matter which of the few options you choose, you will be extremely happy with your choice as they will all likely do much more than you would ever need them to do..

Advertisement