Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork City FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

1-1 up in Drogheda, tonight. Seems to have been another good goal by Daryl Horgan. Decent result, to be fair, especially with Drogheda dominating the first half.

The Cup match will be a nice, low (relative to the league, at least) pressure match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    The Cup match will be a nice, low (relative to the league, at least) pressure match.

Friday night is it?

kcb wrote: »
    Friday night is it?

Yep. The usual quarter to eight kick off.

Lovely, 6-1 win last night, on a fantastic evening. A hattrick each for Vinny Sullivan and Tadhg Purcell. They're really starting to click, now, granted this was a match against a midtable First Division side. It's a bit of a balls that they're starting to click as we near the three week break. Hopefully Tadhg will stay on with us.

On the match yesterday, we had a shocking start. We couldn't string any series of passes together and we let Athlone have too much time on the ball. They deserved to be 1-0 up and maybe could've had another one or two. When we got 3 in the space of five minutes near the end of the half, though, that just deflated them. The early goal in the second half, then, just completely killed them off.

The crowd of 1,589 was very disappointing. We got 500 more when we played them in the First Division last year. Last week, we got 2,500 against UCD and it was pissing rain. I wouldn't have had UCD as much of a bigger draw (if at all) than Athlone.

Into the next round, anyway. Roll on the draw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,319 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A home draw against....anyone ....will do nicely!

• Advertisement

And we're back. :)

7407747466_08e5064c92_b.jpg
    Credit to Peadar O'Sullivan for designing the poster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,319 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Missing it due to Summer Work BBQ - I am expecting a win but after the break it might be hard to get back into the groove we were it previously.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Missing it due to Summer Work BBQ - I am expecting a win but after the break it might be hard to get back into the groove we were it previously.

Agreed. We were going into it with a fair bit of momentum with the last gasp equaliser at Tallaght, whereas Derry were going into on the back of a home loss. The three week break has minimised that, I'd imagine.

I'd say, like most matches between the sides at the Cross in recent times, it'll finish 1-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

2-2 with two late goals another boring night at the cross !!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

a nice point,pity ye didn't win

• Advertisement

Given we were 2 down, I'm quite happy with the draw. Onwards and upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I think the ticket prices for City games are outrageous, 12 euro for a ticket is too much, you can see Borussia Dortmund for 15 euro and most Bundesliga clubs are around that price point.

If you add in chips, burger, match programme and a few pints the whole thing becomes an expensive night which no doubt puts some people off. I'm surprised with FORAS for not having a better price for the ticket.

Look at the season ticket, for the 'real' Cork City football supporter, 168 euro for the season. With Borussia Dortmund you can get a season ticket for 187 which includes all of the home Bundesliga matches plus the first 3 Champions League matches. Crazy stuff altogether in my opinion.

http://www.bvb.de/?%98Y%1B%E4%F4%9D

http://www.corkcityfc.net/home/season-tickets-2011/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

big crowd out there last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I think the ticket prices for City games are outrageous, 12 euro for a ticket is too much, you can see Borussia Dortmund for 15 euro and most Bundesliga clubs are around that price point.

If you add in chips, burger, match programme and a few pints the whole thing becomes an expensive night which no doubt puts some people off. I'm surprised with FORAS for not having a better price for the ticket.

Look at the season ticket, for the 'real' Cork City football supporter, 168 euro for the season. With Borussia Dortmund you can get a season ticket for 187 which includes all of the home Bundesliga matches plus the first 3 Champions League matches. Crazy stuff altogether in my opinion.

Shur 12 euro is grand, used to be 15-20 back in the 'glory' days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

What's your point? That things are cheaper in Germany?

€12 is a fair, competitive price. You don't have to add in burger, chips, programme, and pints - that's your choice to do so. 12 quid for a match isn't a lot to be perfectly honest, especially when compared to direct competitors - Munster and Cork GAA (35 quid for a stand ticket for a championship game! :eek:)

And as for "FORAS for not having a better price for the ticket", it was actually voted to put the price at €12 for the coming season, not €15 which is pretty standard across the league

€12 for a night's entertainment is far from "outrageous"

http://www.corkcityfc.net/home/season-tickets-2011/[/QUOTE]

I've been to alot of grounds around the world but I love going down the cross on a Fri night. A couple of pints in The Horse Shoe first and a trek into town afterwards. 12 is very good value for the top league in a country - Outrageous - you are having a laugh - ever been to a premier league match in England?

Also, you forgot to add in the cost of the flight and hotel accomodation to see Dortmund;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

I'm sure if City were getting 80,000 regulars they could afford to charge less.

As it is we get an average crowd of around 2,500 and it costs money to run a professional soccer club.

€12 is fair.

It's €30 to get into the Pairc tomorrow.

A bit of perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Shur 12 euro is grand, used to be 15-20 back in the 'glory' days.
    Roar wrote: »
    What's your point? That things are cheaper in Germany?

€12 is a fair, competitive price. You don't have to add in burger, chips, programme, and pints - that's your choice to do so. 12 quid for a match isn't a lot to be perfectly honest, especially when compared to direct competitors - Munster and Cork GAA (35 quid for a stand ticket for a championship game! :eek:)

And as for "FORAS for not having a better price for the ticket", it was actually voted to put the price at €12 for the coming season, not €15 which is pretty standard across the league

€12 for a night's entertainment is far from "outrageous"

I've been to alot of grounds around the world but I love going down the cross on a Fri night. A couple of pints in The Horse Shoe first and a trek into town afterwards. 12 is very good value for the top league in a country - Outrageous - you are having a laugh - ever been to a premier league match in England?

Also, you forgot to add in the cost of the flight and hotel accomodation to see Dortmund;)[/QUOTE]
    I'm sure if City were getting 80,000 regulars they could afford to charge less.

As it is we get an average crowd of around 2,500 and it costs money to run a professional soccer club.

€12 is fair.

It's €30 to get into the Pairc tomorrow.

A bit of perspective.

I can remember a Celtic game roughly about 8 years ago (open to correction, it was the 2nd time I've seen City play Celtic, once before and once afterwards since then that I've been to anyway) and if you wanted to buy a ticket for the game you had to buy a ticket for another game too, that was pretty crazy, Celtic game ticket was 20 euro as well IIRC. I thought we're living in a different time now though, I thought bums on seats would be more beneficial to the club than more money, if it even works out that way.

I have to say though that (Cork) Munster and Cork GAA championship matches are fewer in number over the coarse of the year making it cheaper overall. Both are far better supported than Cork City as well, all the more reason to have cheaper tickets, when you've got over 20 games a year to go and support your team your talking about a fair bit of money here.

I don't know the finances but I would have thought a price point of 8 euro would be a better place to be, just my opinion.

I don't know the finances but I would have thought a price point of 8 euro would be a better place to be, just my opinion.

Say they charge €8. Are City going to get a 1000 extra fans in the gate every second week to make up the difference. I have my doubts.

The reason there is not 8,000 out at the Cross every week is not because of the price to get in.

I can remember a Celtic game roughly about 8 years ago (open to correction, it was the 2nd time I've seen City play Celtic, once before and once afterwards since then that I've been to anyway) and if you wanted to buy a ticket for the game you had to buy a ticket for another game too, that was pretty crazy, Celtic game ticket was 20 euro as well IIRC. I thought we're living in a different time now though, I thought bums on seats would be more beneficial to the club than more money, if it even works out that way.

I didn't go to that Celtic game but from what I remember

1. It was a sell out:o
    2. Celtic charged a fee that needed to be covered
    3. Giving the ticket for a league game was probably an attempt to get people to come back to the Cross and support their local team. Pretty sure a few actually did come back and are probably hardcore City supporters now.

The 2nd time they came was when the club was facing insolvency under Tom Coughlan. Price of ticket was in the vain hope of saving the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

IIRC the cost of the ticket at the first Celtic game was pretty much dictated by Celtic. They got the merchandising too.

Using Germany as a pricing model doesn't really make much sense as you would often buy a fair bit to eat and drink as it would be your night out, not just a warm up for a Friday night in the town. A much better comparison would be with the Scottish 1st Division where the crowds / facilities are comparible and if you do that you will find €12 is a very reasonable price.

The situation at Turner's Cross is complicated by the fact that the club don't own the ground and I'm sure what they gain in saving on upkeep etc. is more than eaten up in the cut they have to give as rent.

As applehunter said, it's not the €12 tickets that keep people away from The Cross....

http://www.corkcityfc.net/home/2012/06/28/shop-closed-until-further-notice/
    The club shop in Douglas Village Shopping Centre will be closed until further notice. There will also be no merchandise available via the online shop until further notice. This is as a result of the overnight flooding. Our thoughts are with everyone affected by the floods.

Great three points tonight. Didn't travel up, but it seems that we were well worth the win. Good to get back to winning ways. Top half of the table (if you count Monaghan as bottom of the table with zero points) and ahead of those Shels bastards!

Incidentally, the club are running a competition, with a five year season ticket on offer.
    Cork City FC has launched a competition that will offer supporters the opportunity to win a season ticket for five years! “Win, Lose or Draw” allows fans to support the club, whilst also giving themselves the opportunity to win this fantastic prize!

To enter “Win, Lose or Draw”, supporters can sign up to support the club by pledging €1 for each point the team wins for the remainder of the season, starting with the upcoming home game against Bohemians. At the end of the season, those who have participated will be entered into a draw to win a season ticket for five years.

To sign up, you can enter by emailing your name and contact details to winloseordraw@corkcityfc.net and also through the club shop in Douglas Village Shopping Centre and the matchnight shop at Turner’s Cross.
    http://www.corkcityfc.net/home/2012/06/27/win-a-5-year-cork-city-fc-season-ticket/

Great away win last night. Creating a little gap between ourselves, Bray and Bohs is important - Bohs next down the X!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rebelccfc

Bohs game is Sunday at 6! Disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

rebelccfc wrote: »
    Bohs game is Sunday at 6! Disaster

Is there any particular reason why the game is on Sunday instead of the usual Friday night?

rmchmufc wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason why the game is on Sunday instead of the usual Friday night?

Bohs will be playing in the Europa League on Thursday.

As well as the friendly against Watford three weeks from tomorrow, City will play Blackburn on Sunday the 13th of August.

And Manchester United!

http://www.corkcityfc.net/home/2012/07/06/manchester-united-headed-for-turners-cross/
    Cork City FC are delighted to announce that a Manchester United XI will visit Cork on Wednesday, July 25th where they will take on Cork City in a friendly fixture.
    The game, which will take place at Turner’s Cross and will kick-off at 7.45 pm, takes place the day after City face Championship side Watford at the same venue. The game is being kindly sponsored by Cork Airport.
    Commenting on the fixture, Cork City manager Tommy Dunne told CorkCityFC.net: “We are delighted to be bringing one of the most prestigious clubs in the world to Turner’s Cross. When an opportunity to bring Manchester United to Cork arises, then you have to jump at it. From the club’s point of view, the announcement of these friendly games is a very welcome boost in the wake of the loss of a home league fixture following Monaghan’s withdrawal from the league. With such exciting developments at Watford and the visit of Blackburn Rovers to look forward to in August, it promises to be an exciting summer of football here on Leeside.”
    Tickets for the game are priced at €15 for adults and €10 for Senior Citizens/Juveniles (Under 16’s). There will be a special, discounted rate available to FORAS members and Cork City Season Ticket holders of €10 for Adults and €5 for Senior Citizens/Juveniles (Under 16’s). Discounted tickets will only be available when purchased directly from Cork City FC and this offer will expire at close of business on Friday 13th of July*.
    Tickets will be available online from Ticketmaster HERE at 1 pm today and are also available from the Cork City club office in Bishopstown and will also be available at Turner’s Cross on Sunday, as Cork City take on Bohemians with a 6 pm kick-off.
    *: There will be a limit of two tickets per FORAS Trustee/Season Ticket holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

The Manchester United friendly should bring a lot of new faces into the cross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The_Banker wrote: »
    The Manchester United friendly should bring a lot of new faces into the cross.

In fairness,it will more than likely be only the United youths or reserves.

Advertisement