Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

W4D3 done. Holy fcuk. Thought I was going to vomit after the first 5 minute run. Week 4 has taken us (myself and my boyfriend) 2 full weeks to do due to real life stuff, so it hasn't been very effective. Plus we're running a different path to the past few weeks - one that I originally thought was flat, but I know now is inclined for a large portion. We finished it, just about, but we're going to have to repeat the week. Our lungs are fcuked - we're both sitting here wheezing and coughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just downloaded the C25k app and am looking to start in the next week. I'm wondering if anyone knows anywhere in Dublin to buy a decent pair of runners. I don't want to go somewhere like Footlocker because I have high arches, so need decent support, and I don't know where to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

This is where I bought mine. Get a gait analysis, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

This is where I bought mine. Get a gait analysis, too.

That's fantastic, thanks! I'll head in there tomorrow.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Have been thinking about trying this for ages, am so out of shape and really need to get fit as well as lose a few pounds. I downloaded the app yesterday, hoping to do W1D1 tomorrow before work. Fingers crossed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭OrangeVarnish

Hey, so I am in the process of trying to shed some pounds AND get fitter ... I found the C25K page but am struggling to find the podcasts that work? Or the app even (I'm not the best with technology!!).

help please?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

If you have iTunes, go the iTunes Store and search for 'NHS Couch to 5k' and you'll find the podcasts.

If you have iTunes, go the iTunes Store and search for 'NHS Couch to 5k' and you'll find the podcasts.

Thanks so much! :D Just after finding them now!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

Hi Week 3 done :D. Before I started the week I thought that I would be unable to do 3 minutes of running, but you know what it was fine, infact W3D3 was grand. The one thing that I have noticed is that I am not going as far as I used to, probably only covering 3.5 K including the warm up and warm down walks
    Looking forward to week 4, starting today fingers crossed, the only thing is that my right knee is acting up.

So I found them ........but I can't download them onto my ipod?! I tried googling it but won't let me sycn the podcasts?!?

• Advertisement

What happens when you try to? When your iPod is connected, click the device, then podcasts, new podcasts may be unchecked and need to be checked in order to sync. Something like this.

%3Dipod_sync.png%3Fsize%3Dwebview

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

Went for my first run last night after a couple of weeks following my back injury. It was torture. Really struggled to get into it, breathing was shot topuieces and i had to walk a couple of times (about 20 seconds each time). Think i did about 8k, at least i did it though. My calves were sooo tight, as i did a long walk on Sunday with the boyfriend (7.5 hours!). Hoping to go again tonight but try a different route. I'm working overseas at the moment, so not familiar with the routes too much.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I has a angry. All set to start my C25K and I do something to my leg. Muscle in the upper of my right leg is bloody killing me. I canni put any weight on the leg at all :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

flossie wrote: »
    Went for my first run last night after a couple of weeks following my back injury. It was torture. Really struggled to get into it, breathing was shot topuieces and i had to walk a couple of times (about 20 seconds each time). Think i did about 8k, at least i did it though. My calves were sooo tight, as i did a long walk on Sunday with the boyfriend (7.5 hours!). Hoping to go again tonight but try a different route. I'm working overseas at the moment, so not familiar with the routes too much.....

8k is awesome after injury! Well done!!

Tomorrow will be my first run. I have been out waaay longer than I expected. 2 trips to the osteo and one to the doctor and I *think* I'm ready to run again. Have been walking the past few days and today was the first day it wasn't really painful. If I can do a 5k jog I'll be delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

I didn't feel like a run yesterday, the body just went 'meh' so i went for a walk for 2 hours which must have loosened me up a bit. In the end i ran for 2 miles after, and it felt much much better. I even allowed myself some ice cream after dinner ;)

flossie wrote: »
    I didn't feel like a run yesterday, the body just went 'meh' so i went for a walk for 2 hours which must have loosened me up a bit. In the end i ran for 2 miles after, and it felt much much better. I even allowed myself some ice cream after dinner ;)

Hi flossie, can I just say that awesome :) (like our american cousins would say), to be able to run 2 miles after 2 hours of walking well done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 thequieterone

My goal is to be able to run 5k by Xmas. :)
    watch this space
    newbie. xx

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck, if you're starting Couch to 5k now you should be able to do that no problem :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

watch this space
    newbie. xx

I just started this week too and would be delighted if I could run 5k by Christmas! Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 thequieterone

Aw Thanks guys! there's running club near by , i just need to get courage to go some evening! :)

• Advertisement

I have a question for those of you doing the programme for a few weeks or more.
    I have gone out Monday, Wednesday and Friday this week so far (my Week 1) - did you find it was best to keep going every second day or to take the weekend off or did you do it a different way?
    I'm not sure if having a 2 day break instead of one will make a difference when I get back to it on Monday and I don't want to ruin the little bit I have done :)

Any advice or experience appreciated :)

miamee wrote: »
    I have a question for those of you doing the programme for a few weeks or more.
    I have gone out Monday, Wednesday and Friday this week so far (my Week 1) - did you find it was best to keep going every second day or to take the weekend off or did you do it a different way?
    I'm not sure if having a 2 day break instead of one will make a difference when I get back to it on Monday and I don't want to ruin the little bit I have done :)

Any advice or experience appreciated :)

Hi miamee,
    For me it did not make any difference how many days I left between each run, I could do day 1 on a Monday, day 2 Wednesday day 3 on a Saturday, or I could do day 1 on a Monday, day 2 Thursday day 3 on a Saturday or a Sunday. It would depend on how much time I had on my hands or how I felt. I like to run one day during the weekend, as I would just get up and do that days program have breakfast and continue the rest of the day. Thats the beauty of the C25K its at your own pace :D. Listen to what your body is saying to you.

And do some streching both before you start and when you finish, its a pain at the start, but it is oh so worth it and it will get easier. Hope this helps. :)

Hi miamee,
    For me it did not make any difference how many days I left between each run, I could do day 1 on a Monday, day 2 Wednesday day 3 on a Saturday, or I could do day 1 on a Monday, day 2 Thursday day 3 on a Saturday or a Sunday. It would depend on how much time I had on my hands or how I felt. I like to run one day during the weekend, as I would just get up and do that days program have breakfast and continue the rest of the day. Thats the beauty of the C25K its at your own pace :D. Listen to what your body is saying to you.

And do some streching both before you start and when you finish, its a pain at the start, but it is oh so worth it and it will get easier. Hope this helps. :)
    Thanks a lot, that does help! I'm kinda hoping that I will feel like going out at the weekend without having to fight with myself :D

I don't feel wrecked or sore at all, just tired in a good way, sleeping much better on the nights I have had a run earlier. A few stretches might help me get moving a bit faster though, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

I've just done W5D2 for the third time (jog 8, walk 5, jog 8) and feel like I'm just about on top of it at last, but I'm so scared of the next session! It's a 20 minute jog with no breaks, and the next two sessions after it are back to intervals, before a 25 minute jog in the next session.

I feel like I could manage the next two sessions with intervals but I really don't think I'm ready for such a long jog with no breaks. What should I do? I've been considering either skipping the 20 minute session and carrying on, or doing the 20 minutes and taking a small break in the middle. It feels like such a big jump, and to then go back to intervals seems a bit odd!

Would love to hear your thoughts ladies - and thank you for your posts in this thread, they have been so helpful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭kazzdee

I stalled at the thought of that one too and put it off, havent ran since friday as a result! Annoying after I'd done well on the 8x2. I'm going to give it a shot later but may have to regain confidence first by rerunning the 8x2. Mentally seemed like a big jump for me.. Even a 15 first would've seemed natural. I suppose I'm just going to have to get over it! :-) Will update on the progress if any! Just had to comment as I'm in the exact same place! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Morning

Haven't posted in a while as iv been in the Gym trying to build up some strength for Tough Mudder. Have been exceptionally motivated as I only have 2 weeks left before the event.

bronte.jpg
    View over Bronte when i was leaning over the rail about to pass out.

map.JPG

The route is all hills, or at least feels like it.

steps.jpg
    Some step aerobics to sprint up before home time.

Compared to a few months ago when I first started posting on this thread my fitness, blood pressure, concentration, moobs and beer belly have all improved and were all a problem.

So hopefully I can push on over the next two weeks and not have to walk on the route as the steps and steeper hills still kick the crap out of me.

Thanks
    Jimmy

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭kazzdee

Hey ArtOfEscape, just thought I'd come back on to tell you to feel the fear and do it anyway! :)
    I went out for my run earlier, and even in the car before we reached where I do my run I was debating whether to just re-run the last one since I hadn't even run properly since Friday.. but then I thought, ok, I ran two 8's, so even if I have to split the 20 up into two tens I'd give it a lash. So I did! And I did the full 20mins!!!! :)
    I wont pretend it was easy, but its possible, and you will feel great when you do it! Go for it! :)

Week 4 done :D, OMG if someone told me the 4 weeks ago I would be running 5 minutes I would not believe them.
    I found on W4D3 that I was runnung futher, when I passed the local GAA scoreboard and ran 10m past it I could not believe it, previously I was 5 to 10 M short of it. By the time I had finished my run I had run an extra 50 M, a small amount but to me it felt like I am imporving big time.:D:D

Note to self, its not a treat to go to McDonnell's and have a big mac meal after running on prom :mad:, if you want to have a treat have a mcflurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

kazzdee wrote: »
    Hey ArtOfEscape, just thought I'd come back on to tell you to feel the fear and do it anyway! :)
    I went out for my run earlier, and even in the car before we reached where I do my run I was debating whether to just re-run the last one since I hadn't even run properly since Friday.. but then I thought, ok, I ran two 8's, so even if I have to split the 20 up into two tens I'd give it a lash. So I did! And I did the full 20mins!!!! :)
    I wont pretend it was easy, but its possible, and you will feel great when you do it! Go for it! :)

Thanks for your replies Kazzdee -- I did it!! :D Absolutely over the moon. Told myself I would take a little break when the app shouted "halfway there!" at me, but by the time it came I was feeling fine so decided to just keep going. It was very slow going but I got to the end. I feel incredible! :) Thanks for the encouragement!

• Advertisement

Hi ArtOfEscape well done for running the 20 minutes, it must feel good to have that run over you :)

Advertisement