Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best vehicle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Cars can only be driven on roads though, There will be sections of roads that will be completely impassable. A motorbike, off road type may be a good option, I wouldn't discount a push bike either, silent and can be carried up stairs etc.

A push bike is a silly choice its grand for short sprints but I still think that a car or an off road jeep is the best choice. Motorbikes are and option but anything that is powered by your own kinetic energy is a silly option and yeh push bikes can be brought up stairs but what use is that your not gonna cycle around the second or third story of a building.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Evolute wrote: »
    and yeh push bikes can be brought up stairs but what use is that your not gonna cycle around the second or third story of a building.

I was thinking more of steep steps that connect streets, or stairs upto bridges etc. A push bike can be carreid over/around obstacles.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Frank Drebin

karlog wrote: »
    If gas mileage isn't an issue then

0814-10bulldozer.jpg

armored bulldozer FTW

Can't compete with that... :cool:

Could do with one of these in Dundrum shopping centre on a Saturday afternoon though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

A push bike is one of the easiest options, yes we all want armoured 4x4 flame throwing,chainsaw mounted, gun touret, 6 tonne beasts but the we dont have any in this country and to maintain and to run some of the more extreme things mentioned here is just not possible to 99% of the popluation.

My first option would be a quad bike or dirt bike with a few cans of petrol and failing that a push bike, as Mickey said its easy to bring with you should you need to get out of harms way and get to a barricade or upper floors.

Push bike and energy bars FTW ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd have many concerns over the use of a motorbike. Firstly I can't really ride a bike, I did try riding a trials bike off-road and it didn't go well. The main point being if you can't currently ride a bike don't choose one as your mode of transport during an outbreak, they require skill to ride and even more skill to ride off-road. The other thing is they may not be that great at dealing with the knee deep muck you'll come across in the wet Irish countryside. The only vehicles suitable for off-road in Ireland IMO are tractors, quads or proper work land rovers like the ESB or old farmers would have.

It's also worth having a look at google earth to see just how many roads there are in Ireland. There's always at least 4 or 5 ways to get to the same place. Everyone should invest in a good detailed map, most Irish road maps don't show half the roads in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Everyone who said push bike will probably die in the first 5 months because of stupidity the whole point of using a car is you can ditch it and find another one if your trying to get up steps lets face it if your running from zombies your not going to pick up a bike and run up steps your gonna leave that there and run for your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

In fairness, bikes are a great idea - they'll keep the competition down! ;)

If your working out of a base location a bike would be a good idea though. You'll know the area your travelling through, it's quiet, easy to dump and most of all will keep you fit and reserve fuel for more critical tasks.

Over long distances and when travelling through unknown areas an enclosed vehicle. It'll provide cover when sleeping, allow you to carry the supplies you'll need and possibly extra supplies to deal with emergencys.

ScumLord wrote: »
    If your working out of a base location a bike would be a good idea though. You'll know the area your travelling through, it's quiet, easy to dump and most of all will keep you fit and reserve fuel for more critical tasks.

Over long distances and when travelling through unknown areas an enclosed vehicle. It'll provide cover when sleeping, allow you to carry the supplies you'll need and possibly extra supplies to deal with emergencys.
    Ok, this I can kinda accept, only one thing though: if you were coming from a base location, travelling through an area you know, what would you be doing that would warrant taking the risk of a bike? Don't get me wrong, keeping fit is a major positive, but the risk...
    Way I reckon it, you'd be on a supplies run - why else risk leaving the base - so you'd want a boot. You wouldn't be carrying much on a bike.

...stealth & fitness though. Very positive points.

Zulu wrote: »
    Ok, this I can kinda accept, only one thing though: if you were coming from a base location, travelling through an area you know, what would you be doing that would warrant taking the risk of a bike? Don't get me wrong, keeping fit is a major positive, but the risk...
    Way I reckon it, you'd be on a supplies run - why else risk leaving the base - so you'd want a boot. You wouldn't be carrying much on a bike.

...stealth & fitness though. Very positive points.
    Bikes where used for transporting goods before the car came along, it all depends how precious you want to make your diesel and petrol, remember the only fuel you'l have access to is whatever on this island so making it last is essential.

I think it's likely people will be spread out, manning century posts, on patrol, tending food crops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

How about a solar powered car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Warthog. Mini gun or Gauss cannon attached. Only takes 3, or 2 and supplies in the passenger seat, but it would be damn handy in a tight spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Everyone saying that a car is better than a bicycle are probably forgetting that most roads out of any population centre are going to look like this. What use is a car then? A bicycle will let you zip in and out of the cars in silence. You can turn 180 if needs be in a second, with minimal turning radius...something you can't do on a motorbike. Plus with the noise of the motorbike you'll be attracting every zombie close by.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Evolute wrote: »
    Everyone who said push bike will probably die in the first 5 months because of stupidity the whole point of using a car is you can ditch it and find another one if your trying to get up steps lets face it if your running from zombies your not going to pick up a bike and run up steps your gonna leave that there and run for your life.
    When your stuck in a traffic jam with the zombie horde shambling towards you, i'll be off road cycling at a few miles an hour faster then they are. You can go for hours at an easy pace on a bike, which is a hell of a lot faster then you suckers in cars will be going once the panic starts.

Plus, assuming you do manage to survive, good luck keeping your car's fueled up. All i need is a puncture repair kit and a pump. Bike all the way for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 S9M95

A Smart Car,low milage and very agile,good for swerving around crowds of zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Think of the rate at which the main roads will decay after Z day. Trees will fall across roads and cars will pile up. A car may be advantageous to some extent but face it; you're not going to be travelling all over the country having a grand old time. I really think a mountain bike or a proper off road vehicle is the only way to go.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Seems like people are missing the obvious. Get a Hummer and put a bike rack on it. As long as you've got gas, you can drive around almost anywhere. If, for some reason, you run out of fuel, ditch the truck and go with the bike.

Where's the problem?

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I don't suppose anyone has taken the fuel economy of a hummer into account,have they?

I'm not 100% sure on this but as I last heard it was ~3-5 miles to the liter/gallon[my have been american measurement].

these things eat fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Seems like people are missing the obvious. Get a Hummer and put a bike rack on it. As long as you've got gas, you can drive around almost anywhere. If, for some reason, you run out of fuel, ditch the truck and go with the bike.

Where's the problem?

NTM

Nearly all of us don't live on an army base where Hummers are plentiful. Finding a Hummer in Ireland may be difficult. Now tractors could be a soloution, all terrain and plentiful....mmm, worth a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gourmet

What if we could combine the safety of a heavy vehicle with the endurance of a bicycle?

What if we could combine a civilian vehicle available almost everywhere with a ersatz zombie incineration system?

Well, the long lasting, zombie crushing and toasting future is here already.

21_26_22---Esso-Fuel-Tanker_web.jpg?&k=Esso+Fuel+Tanker

Get yourself down to a furl distribution depot at the nearest port and get a 28000 litre tanker of diesel.

The cab will get between 2 and 3.5 km per litre so you can keep going for perhaps 75000km which should be enough to keep one step ahead of the zombie hoards.

Best of all with a little MacGyvering you'll have a mobile flame thrower as well.

Zombie advice centre - There for you when they're after you.

• Advertisement

Just be bloody careful with that flame thrower!!! :eek:

Teamkillers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Would any badass car (naturally, with run-flat tires) and a bike in the boot not be the best compromise? Or is that just cheating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Gourmet wrote: »
    What if we could combine the safety of a heavy vehicle with the endurance of a bicycle?

What if we could combine a civilian vehicle available almost everywhere with a ersatz zombie incineration system?

Well, the long lasting, zombie crushing and toasting future is here already.

21_26_22---Esso-Fuel-Tanker_web.jpg?&k=Esso+Fuel+Tanker

Get yourself down to a furl distribution depot at the nearest port and get a 28000 litre tanker of diesel.

The cab will get between 2 and 3.5 km per litre so you can keep going for perhaps 75000km which should be enough to keep one step ahead of the zombie hoards.

Best of all with a little MacGyvering you'll have a mobile flame thrower as well.

Zombie advice centre - There for you when they're after you.

Masses of petrol and a flame thrower. What could possibly go wrong?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

sorta like this Badboy
    3.jpg

I love the bonnet details
    2.jpg

Where's the problem?

NTM
    If you get the early military spec ones they might be worth getting but the civilian ones are absolute shyte, a joke of a car by all accounts. There just not really suited to Irish roads either, their gigantic, have poor visibility and aren't particularly good off road. If you want a good off roader go for a land rover.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

Casspir APC, used in ZA for over 20 years.
    first%20casspir.jpg
    Overview%202009%20Export_html_m6a6334c.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Oh another handy source of Diesel would be Home heatin systems, although the more modern ones run on kerro there are still al lot of diesel ones ot there, most would have a few hundred litres in the tanks

Casspir APC, used in ZA for over 20 years.
    first%20casspir.jpg
    Overview%202009%20Export_html_m6a6334c.jpg
    Is that the yolk they had in district 9? Looks awesome, only problem being it probably uses huge amounts of fuel. You have to keep it's fuel consumption in mind because while there'll be loads to begin with it's a finite resource.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Green Back

S9M95 wrote: »
    A Smart Car,low milage and very agile,good for swerving around crowds of zombies.

You don't have to worry about petrol with this beauty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Siegfried

Jeez before i enter in this topic i was imagening a Hummer or somethings like that, not these bad fellows up there.

Advertisement