Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Albert Quay - New Development

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Whoever put the map together on the very last page should probably take another look at it. Can't believe they got the location of it and city hall wrong

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

calnand wrote: »
    Whoever put the map together on the very last page should probably take another look at it. Can't believe they got the location of it and city hall wrong

Class - never spotted that

Location of city hall and proposed development one whole street out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

316585.jpg

Their map and Google Earth and a little layer in PS. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Nukem wrote: »

That's the plan that was objected to and withdrawn. The building in the video is the new plan. (I had to go back and check the planning application online myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

kub wrote: »
    'This is the thing', is it really? I simply mention that a new building there is better than the eyesore that is there currently and I am moaning......

Joking aside, how did you get that from what I said?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

I was on the An Bord Plenala site today looking at the appeals. By the looks of things both have been withdrawn.

Anybody know what the protocol is if appeals are withdrawn ?

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/243619.htm

Cork City Council

Demolish buildings, construct mixed use development consisting of offices, basement carpark, roof terrace and ancillary site works. Site bounded by Albert Quay, Albert Street North of Elysian

Case reference: PL28 .243619

Case type: Planning Appeal

Parties

Bam Properties Ltd and Progressive Commercial Construction Ltd (Applicant)
    Crimson Investments Ltd. (Appellant) (Withdrawn)
    Elysian Management Ltd. (Appellant) (Withdrawn)
    History

18/07/2014: Lodged

Michael.. wrote: »

According to testimony on record the protocol is to pay the City Manager [now CEO City Council] the same as you paid the minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

AFAIK if all appeals are withdrawn then the original City Council decision to grant permission stands and they can start construction whenever they're ready.
    Looks like they reached an agreement with O'Flynn's over the Elysian.

Pitcairn wrote: »
    Looks like they reached an agreement with O'Flynn's over the Elysian.

Flynn is fighting to retain control, I don't think it is his decision, it's the new US bank that bought his debt off NAMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fergie24

Yeah, Flynn has bigger problems to be worrying about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Michael.. wrote: »
    I was on the An Bord Plenala site today looking at the appeals. By the looks of things both have been withdrawn.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/243619.htm

Cork City Council

Demolish buildings, construct mixed use development consisting of offices, basement carpark, roof terrace and ancillary site works. Site bounded by Albert Quay, Albert Street North of Elysian

Case reference: PL28 .243619

Case type: Planning Appeal

Parties

Bam Properties Ltd and Progressive Commercial Construction Ltd (Applicant)
    Crimson Investments Ltd. (Appellant) (Withdrawn)
    Elysian Management Ltd. (Appellant) (Withdrawn)
    History

18/07/2014: Lodged

It's now saying appeal withdrawn since 05/08/2014. I wonder how quickly things will progress now?

I never got why Flynns wouldn't want people in well paying jobs next door who might want apartments in the elysian and provide custom for the empty commercial spaces below!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

moyners wrote: »
    It's now saying appeal withdrawn since 05/08/2014. I wonder how quickly things will progress now?

I reckon it will progress fairly soon. There was signage put up on one of the warehouses the other day.

They'll probably begin demolition soon enough I'd say. It'll be great to see that site cleaned up. It's a total eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

They say they are going to start within weeks.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/08/11/work-begin-albert-quay-development/

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Pitcairn wrote: »

Great news if it is getting the go ahead.

500 - 700 extra employees in the city centre would make a real difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    Great news if it is getting the go ahead.

500 - 700 extra employees in the city centre would make a real difference.

Hah. It would be absolutely ideal for me, I'd have about a 1-minute walk to work across 2 bridges to commute to work, and could pan out on the boardwalk for lunch breaks. (Sadly, most of my co-workers are based around the Douglas area and so the company probably won't even consider the city centre due to traffic/parking).

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I passed by the site yesterday evening and noticed it had new planning applications stuck there. They were dated from April this year so, presumably, the ones that were on hold from the objections? There's a "Change of use" planning notice up on the empty section of The Elysian as well - for the Aldi premises I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

With the new date for applications being set - are we now expecting bids from Alberts Quay & Beamish & Crawford as sites - would there be more than that going in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

D'Agger wrote: »
    With the new date for applications being set - are we now expecting bids from Alberts Quay & Beamish & Crawford as sites - would there be more than that going in?

Technically, it's open to anyone and everyone again but they're not expecting any new applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Meursault

What about Live Nation? Is it a waste of time building the events centre, without their backing? The whole saga is very frustrating. There is clearly a need for it.

Link here might help shed some light on the situation.

The tender process/conditions have been reviewed and it's more than likely to put LiveNation back in the frame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Meursault

D'Agger wrote: »
    Link here might help shed some light on the situation.

The tender process/conditions have been reviewed and it's more than likely to put LiveNation back in the frame

that's a positive step, at least, but i will belileve it when I see the diggers moving in to start work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

I think people are getting their threads mixed up! This is about 1 Albert Quay.

exam250214AlbertQuayDevelopmentArtistsImpression_large.jpg

zetalambda wrote: »
    I think people are getting their threads mixed up! This is about 1 Albert Quay.

Not sure that it is actually.

Not least when 1 Albert Quay in not correctly on the map. And we have seemingly a development taking SOME of the 1 Albert Quay space.

Or is that three developments, any one of which can [or could] go on Albert Quay?

Not least add in the confusion over where the event centre is going, Albert Quay or Beamish's?

So maybe that's five proposals for the same Albert Quay Space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Not sure that it is actually.

Not least when 1 Albert Quay in not correctly on the map. And we have seemingly a development taking SOME of the 1 Albert Quay space.

Or is that three developments, any one of which can [or could] go on Albert Quay?

Not least add in the confusion over where the event centre is going, Albert Quay or Beamish's?

So maybe that's five proposals for the same Albert Quay Space.

No planning permission for 1 Albert quay has nothing to do with a proposed events centre which is on different land owned by a different developer. The only thing in common is the name Albert.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/albert-quay-project-could-be-the-spark-for-dockland-rebirth-250769.html

One Albert Quay is on right hand corner as going over bridge the events centre is on left.

I think it's fair to say that when the thread title is Alberts Quay - New Development it's easy to get them mixed

I passed the site earlier and some of the corrugated roof on the warehouse opposite The Sextant has been removed so it looks like work has started in earnest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Does anyone know if all of the old warehouses are being demolished to make way for this development? I was just looking over at the Quay last night and noticed that there is a To Let sign up on the old Mainport / Twil buildings.

I had not noticed those old warehouses on the promo video of the new building.

The office block is going where the double warehouse now stands. BAM have put a banner across the front of the warehouse advertising the place. Mainport and the former panel beaters next to them is where the conference centre is to be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I thought the proposed site for this conference centre was down by The Idel Hour. There or The Beamish & Crawford site..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭ofcork

Between the sextant and the idle hour for the event centre.

Advertisement