Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Hotel in middle of Cork City

• 04-05-2014 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭

What is considered the best place to stay in middle of Cork city for a special weekend away. Not interested in a 20 minute walk or taxi, I am looking for somewhere special that when you walk out front door it is all there. Basically looking for the Cork equivalent of say the Shelbourne in Dublin. The Imperial ticks the boxes with location but looking at Trip Advisor does not score very well. Is it any good? The Hayfield looks great but it is not central enough. Is the River Lee my best bet?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Clarion is quite nice - I haven't stayed there mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Would think the Clarion too or the Imperial.. If you are just looking for a place to stay then all the hotels in Cork city are the same really.. There is a bnb place just above Creedons in town looks nice enough close to everything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blindsider

Hayfield Manor is quite a bit nicer than the River Lee or Clarion. It's also a bit more expensive esp. when you include meals etc. (You might get lucky with a package, who knows...) Imperial? No. IMO avoid. Nothing awfully wrong, but there are far better options.

If location is way more important than the hotel itself, then the Clarion is actually IN town - the River Lee is a 5 min walk. (Hayfield M is 5-7 mins further.)

So, on location only: Clarion, R Lee, Hayfield

Mix of location/hotel: River Lee, Clarion, Hayfield

Hotel, then location: Hayfield, R Lee, Clarion

[Worth noting: the Clarion and R lee both feel like city hotels. Hayfield M doesn't - it has an elegance and air of quiet luxury that the others simply do not have.]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Why not the Guesthouse at Cafe Paradiso? You can do a B&B dinner package if it is, as you say, a special weekend.

http://www.cafeparadiso.ie/stay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I've never stayed in any of the hotels but obviously one would expect the Hayfield to be far better but then the price tag would reflect it.

Of the others I think location wise the Imperial is best and id think food and common areas are nicest there too, its far older though so think old style marble vs the river lee or clarions modern buildings with lots of glass and light.

If planning on spending the weekend in the hotel id go hayfield.
    Base to explore city id go imperial. On doorstep of shops, restaurants and pubs. The clarion is a few minutes walk and the river lee double that.
    Eploring county then id go clarion as its got a large carpark easy access to link.
    Note Im pretty sure the imperial and hayfield dont have a leisure centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

River lee is a super hotel haven't stayed in the others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If you are staying in the imperial, then get a suite if the budget stretches. Much better than their ordinary rooms. Wouldn't rate the standard rooms.

Clarion is good, especially the onsite restaurant Oysters. One of the better restaurants in the city... I think you can get boat tours under the city bridges from the dock outside the door as well. Atlantic sea kayaks also run kayak rental sessions from there. Those are fun.

hayfield is excellent (5 star) but a bit more of a walk to city center. Through UCC is a lovely walk though.

I find river lee hotel a little bit bland, but it's fine. Wouldn't use it for a special occasion, more of a business hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The Imperial is the best bet if you're staying central. Service can be a bit hit and miss though.

I've also stayed in Issac's and the Metropolitan on McCurtain St. Very central, and you can get to Patrick St in two minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Thanks everyone. The suggestion to get a suite at the Imperial is a great idea if I can get it for around same cost as staying at the Hayfield. Otherwise I think I will book the Hayfield and deal with the short walk or taxi.

I will let you know what I end up doing.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

The suites in the imperial are very nice, as are the superior rooms... the standard rooms are only OK (a little small and old fashioned). It's in an excellent location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blindsider

Balmed Out wrote: »

Note Im pretty sure the imperial and hayfield dont have a leisure centre

http://www.hayfieldmanor.ie/fitness-gym-cork

Not sure how big it is, but they have something...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 FiveSive

River Lee hotel is lovely too, nice and modern.

Imperial is definitely the most convenient in terms of location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Stayed in the Clarion a couple of weeks ago and it's nice but nothing special. Oysters restaurant is fabulous though ... I'd highly recommend it for dinner even if you stayed in a different hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

just an update. Ended up following pwurple suggestion and booked an upgraded room at the Imperial. Location is excellent and we has a great night in Cork walking everywhere. The only disappointment was the Imperial's breakfast which was pretty terrible. All in all a great weekend in Cork city.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Advertisement