Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Information and Social Computing at UCD

• 13-04-2013 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I am a student currently in 5th year and I am interested in finding out more in this course at UCD..
    Would anyone happen to have a timetable for the fulltime AND part time course? & if anyone would happen to have any more information regarding this course, that would be great.
    Also does anyone know if any other universities in Dublin would have a similar course to this?
    Thanks very much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boomchicawawa

Well, no takers for this post !!

I am also looking for info on this subject. Would welcome an insights from those doing it at the moment as to how savy do you need to be about 'social media' before you do this. i.e. is it more about the theory of social media or is it more about knowing the nuts and bolts of computing.

In other words, is it more technical with masses of computer language or could a novice get a good grasp from the start ? is the nub of what I'm trying to discover I suppose.

Any insights welcome !

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

I've just finished studying one level one module from Information and Social Computing-Digital Judgement. I found it very easy to be honest. The particular module I took concentrated on Information classification mainly and lightly touched on Social Media and Online Privacy and Protection.

It's a relatively new course, in fact I think it's only been around a year or two, so it's quite underdeveloped. For my module there was 2 lectures per week, 4 e-tutorials that you did in an allocated weekend (these were very straightforward) and 4 tutorials. We were divided into groups and allocated a group project which we had 12 weeks to complete, this was fairly simple too.

Overall the course is mostly based around Library Studies, I think the name is deceptive. As far as I'm aware there's no "technical" aspect as all...that would be Computer Science or IT. Read up on it well before you apply to it, most people I spoke to in the course thought it was going to be completely different to how it was, myself included.

However, for anybody looking for a non-taxing, fairly simple elective this is a good choice!

Advertisement