Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question: confiscated car

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

okey let me tell you that . how many irish people get away for not buying taxes ? driving without taxes , aww well only 70 euru fine , that okey ??? more the 50% . They don't ****ing know how to drive a car, they cause accidents ! more than 70% in ireland don't even use turn light . Or grannys at old age barely walk , drive at 20 where speed limit it 100 ? it's okey is it ? It okey for not showing what direction you are turning ? because if someone bumbs in his ass it's your fault because you didn't keep the distance ?

Great rant, totally detracting from the fact your dad has a can in the country for longer than he should without registering it.
    He was driving without tax and insurance and NCT, breaking the law.
    If he crashed into someone, he wasn't covered to pay for the damage, breaking the law.
    He broke the law, thats the same in every language.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yeah, that's the attitude!
    Maybe the Irish would do well to see how things are done in proper countries, you should listen to us filthy foreigners, you could learn a thing or two from us.
    English being one of them...

Ah, c'mon Dr. Fuzz - don't be a sour Kraut! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

jimgoose wrote: »
    Ah, c'mon Dr. Fuzz - don't be a sour Kraut! :D

Sorry, but "Why don't you fcuk off back to where you came from" is a bit of a triggerpoint with me. I tend to react extremely poorly to it. :o

Sorry, but "Why don't you fcuk off back to where you came from" is a bit of a triggerpoint with me. I tend to react extremely poorly to it. :o

Yes, I know - I wouldn't blame you. :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I tend to react extremely poorly to it. :o

I`ll say! Don't lower yourself though by referring to "Irish" and "proper countries". It just makes you look like you fall into the same trap of mass generalization.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Sorry but its the exact same way a lot of Irish will react to someone making broad criticisms of the Irish nation and its people it works both ways.

Me I'm not bigoted my reaction is the same whether a person be Irish or of a foreign nationallity if you don't like it you know were the airport is :).

...if you don't like it you know were the airport is :).

Mmm. That's pretty much what we say to every second generation of home-grown youngsters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

jimgoose wrote: »
    Mmm. That's pretty much what we say to every second generation of home-grown youngsters.

Yep, all over the world Irish people are seen as hard working, dependable, organised, intelligent and good fun.
    Maybe we should do this the other way round, instead of the ruling elite forcing millions of Irish to emigrate, why don't we round up the useless shower that is running this country and ship them off to Mars on a one way trip.
    The problem with this country is not the Irish in general, but the inbred, lazy, stupid, fat, complacent, money grabbing, corrupt, selfish morons who run it and that can't be fired.
    Problem is that the Irish population don't accept criticism but simply reply with "Fcuk off back home".
    The Irish way. Deliberately doing it wrong and being proud of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

yop wrote: »
    Great rant, totally detracting from the fact your dad has a can in the country for longer than he should without registering it.
    He was driving without tax and insurance and NCT, breaking the law.
    If he crashed into someone, he wasn't covered to pay for the damage, breaking the law.
    He broke the law, thats the same in every language.

OP said the car was insured and tested in country of registration.
    Then if he crashed into someone, he would be covered.

In relation to saying OP where the airport is I don't like it either.

See as many posters know, I'm from Poland, but I live here in Mayo for nearly 10 years now.
    I love this place. I find it really good place to live (maybe except weather).
    People are nice and gentle. Life is pretty much stress-free not like live in big city on the Continent.
    I was born in deep communism in eastern Poland. My parents at my age, had no opportunity to move and live in such a nice place as west of Ireland. At least not without escaping from their home without possibility to come back.
    I'm happy though I can live here, and be free to travel nearly anywhere, including my home.

As I said - it's a really nice place to live, with little exception - motoring.
    I'm a motor-head, and i love cars and nearly everything connected with them.
    Unfortunately, while virtually everything else in Ireland works quite well, when it comes to motoring it's really bad.
    Motoring laws are stupid. Taxes are high. Drivers are not great.
    In general, motoring is a domain of life here, that is far from being great.
    That's probably the reason I complain a lot here on this forum, and try to show better way to do things, as even in Poland things about motoring are being done better.

But I don't like hearing what I hear here fairly often - that I'm anti-Irish brigade and what am I actually doing here if I don't like it. That's sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Maybe the Irish would do well to see how things are done in proper countries, you should listen to us filthy foreigners, you could learn a thing or two from us.

That's a bit uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

CiniO wrote: »
    In relation to saying OP where the airport is I don't like it either.

See as many posters know, I'm from Poland, but I live here in Mayo for nearly 10 years now.
    I love this place. I find it really good place to live (maybe except weather).
    People are nice and gentle. Life is pretty much stress-free not like live in big city on the Continent.
    I was born in deep communism in eastern Poland. My parents at my age, had no opportunity to move and live in such a nice place as west of Ireland. At least not without escaping from their home without possibility to come back.
    I'm happy though I can live here, and be free to travel nearly anywhere, including my home.

As I said - it's a really nice place to live, with little exception - motoring.
    I'm a motor-head, and i love cars and nearly everything connected with them.
    Unfortunately, while virtually everything else in Ireland works quite well, when it comes to motoring it's really bad.
    Motoring laws are stupid. Taxes are high. Drivers are not great.
    In general, motoring is a domain of life here, that is far from being great.
    That's probably the reason I complain a lot here on this forum, and try to show better way to do things, as even in Poland things about motoring are being done better.

But I don't like hearing what I hear here fairly often - that I'm anti-Irish brigade and what am I actually doing here if I don't like it. That's sad.

Not having a go here I agree with a lot of what you say but I'm not to sure about that part, was just over in Poland some the driving I seen was mental, a lot of the roads are in a bad state. In fact had a fella drive us around for most the weekend who said everything in Krakow was great apart from the driving and the roads even though they did improve a lot in the build up to the euros ;).

Not having a go here I agree with a lot of what you say but I'm not to sure about that part, was just over in Poland some the driving I seen was mental, a lot of the roads are in a bad state. In fact had a fella drive us around for most the weekend who said everything in Krakow was great apart from the driving and the roads even though they did improve a lot in the build up to the euros ;).

Indeed roads in Krakow are sh1te - I was there in January and was sorry for my car's suspension and tyres.
    Driving there is probably not too pleasurable (as in most big cities around the world). And I know lot's of people drive like maniacs. I lived in Krakow for few years, and never liked driving there.

But as an example - place where I'm from orignally. City size of Galway.
    I was there for the whole month this January, and I barely seen anyone breaking any rules of the road. Most people drive 100% correctly. Something which is virtually impossible to see in Mayo.
    On 30 minute drive in Mayo, you always see at least few drivers not indicating, crossing the white lines, incorrectly parking, not obey traffic lights, right of way rules, etc, etc. etc...
    I'm always amazed when I go back home to my place in Poland how all those people car drive correctly as I'm used now to be surrounded by unpredictable drivers in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

CiniO wrote: »
    What you are saying here, is not true.
    In Poland there is no requirement to register a car on obtaining residence.
    Even further - even if there is requirement to do it within 12 months, it's not enforced, and there are no consequences for not doing so.
    What is enforced though, that car has valid insurance and test.

I refer you to point 2 (vehicle registration) below - information which appears to have been provided by TUW a Polish insurance company. Link :
    http://www.euresa.org/index.php?id=417&L=1#c1338

I can't comment on how good an insurance company they are or on the validity of their advice but as I said previously, do not make assumptions - check with the relevant ministry, customs etc

Remember, the police may be happy to ignore a car if there is no accident or law breaking. Once an incident occurs - particularly if you are in the wrong - all those fine details can and probably will be checked by the police and/or your insurance company and at that point it may turn out to be a real false economy to have skipped doing that irritating paperwork needed to "localise" the car.

View wrote: »
    I refer you to point 2 (vehicle registration) below - information which appears to have been provided by TUW a Polish insurance company. Link :
    http://www.euresa.org/index.php?id=417&L=1#c1338

I can't comment on how good an insurance company they are or on the validity of their advice but as I said previously, do not make assumptions - check with the relevant ministry, customs etc

That's very interesting, but half of information in this leaflet is simply not true.

Remember, the police may be happy to ignore a car if there is no accident or law breaking. Once an incident occurs - particularly if you are in the wrong - all those fine details can and probably will be checked by the police and/or your insurance company and at that point it may turn out to be a real false economy to have skipped doing that irritating paperwork needed to "localise" the car.

You are probably not aware of one crucial thing here.
    In Poland it's not possible to register RHD car.
    Obviously it is against EU law, and there is a case ongoing in EU court of justice against Poland. However this case is delayed, and delayed, and it takes years.

Problem was pretty much non-existant until 2004, when Poland joined EU and lots of Polish people moved to UK and Ireland, and soon after some of them decided to come back - with their RHD car.
    Then they found it impossible to register it.

In most cases people moving to Poland from rest of EU with their car are not delaying registration. It's mostly because it's worth it. Insurance is cheap in Poland, and there is no road tax. Annual roadworthiness tests are not too strict. No one in the right mind would keep German or French registered car in Poland for longer, because even cost of insurance would make it nonsense.

So only exception are UK and Irish cars, as it's literally impossible to have them registered in Poland.
    Anyone bringing that kind of car to Poland, can drive it on UK or Irish plates, provided it has valid test (MOT or NCT) and insurance.
    This was confirmed many times by courts, lawyers, and even ministry of transport. There is no time limit to keep such a car on foreign plates, as long as it's insured and tested in country of origin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

So the OPs father comes over in a nice big 3.0 litre motor. Then he finds out how much it costs to tax it in Ireland and almost has a heart attack. Then he discovers that this 19 year old car, in just 11 years time will be pennies to tax as it would be 30 years old by then. Hmmm..... he thinks....

Look buddy, you gave it your best shot, and it didn't work out.
    Hard luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Not going to comment on this but when moving residence to ireland with you fireign car, you have 6 months now to register if I am not mistaken. Used to be one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Back many yrs ago when collected enough money for a better car I shopped home and used an EU hun reg Calibra Turbo for just over a year in Irl. Got tickets, clamps cant complain, paid my dues. The car was top notch mechanical condition all relevant papers equivalent to nct and full EU insurance with green card.

I swapped her an Irish reg C20LET also and from then on for years I started contributing properly to the Irish state/fatcat pockets. (you would be naive to think that its YOUR money, right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If everyone did things properly and obeyed the laws in Lithuania would it not stand to reason that they'd do the same if they travelled abroad ? Cinio has described plenty of lax attitudes to things in Poland too....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

While it doesn't have to be said in the way it was, surely if someone has such a problem with so much of life in Ireland then they should consider going home or some other equally attractive utopia ?
    I say that as a child of an immigrant .

• Advertisement
Advertisement