Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

echo beach wrote: »
    You are probably judging yourself to an impossibly high standard. Your idea of 'poor' is probably 'very good' to the rest of us.:D

Stop reading all the excellent stuff out there. Instead try reading some really poor writing, say the best-selling Couple Next Door. Suddenly you will realise, 'I could do better than that.' :)

Oh, I'm not judging myself harshly. I've only been able for first drafting, which is supposed to be **** :p. I literally couldn't write a 2 sentence email a month ago.

I haven't been reading at all. I haven't had the ability to because of anxiety. I've myself thrown into writing again now that my brain has unlocked a bit, but I'm looking forward to getting back to reading soon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Having not written in a couple of years I lashed out three songs and a poem this week. Baby steps, building up to something longer eventually.

Good to start believing in life again.

Having not written in a couple of years I lashed out three songs and a poem this week. Baby steps, building up to something longer eventually.
    Fair play.
    Good to start believing in life again.
    Yes, that's exactly what it feels like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

been thinking up story lines but just can not put pen to paper.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I know this is the "Off Topic Thread" but it feels more right to post in here rather than in the How To Get Published thread. I think it'd be nice to kick-start a bit of a chat with different points of view from different kinds of writers.

I had a conversation early last winter with a publisher of creative writing. I was volunteering to help them with another project at the time, but it was casually mentioned that there might be an opportunity to get my first collection of poems published at some stage soon. I mentioned that I'd read a collection by another local poet of a similar age-bracket to myself, and was told very firmly not to be too influenced by what they had produced. I also mentioned that I had nearly 250 poems to work with and was told to put together closer to 50, and we left it at that.

I haven't mentioned it since so I don't know if the opportunity still stands. That said, I took some time over the Bank Holiday weekend to put together the first draft of a manuscript. It's a 40 page document (including the table of contents) with 47 poems in English, 2 in Irish, and 2 accompanying English translations. Some of the poems have scarcely changed since I wrote them as a teenager, and I'd like to keep them that way, but the others have had multiple re-drafts. I like the selection a lot, and have tried to frame the poems as a kind of progression of nearly 13 years of writing.

Then today I took some time to do some extra research. In other words, I put "What makes a good poetry collection?" into Google and read the first few decent results. :pac: I found the 2013 series of eight essays by American poet and writer Robert Lee Brewer particularly interesting. (link to archive of posts) He had a first draft accepted in January that year but spent eight months editing and preparing it for launch.

I'm starting to wonder what to do next. I'll hopefully be able to chat with the publisher again soon anyway, so whatever happens in that next conversation will probably answer most of my questions. It's easy to let my imagination run wild, though. Will I have to re-write a big chunk of work? Will I have to cut poems I'm fond of? Will I have to totally change my approach to things like punctuation, capitalisation, line lengths? Will I be judged for not having villanelles, sestinas, cinquains, monotetras, rondels? Who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

The next step is get somebody to read it. Find an editor who works in poetry and pay for a critique. Find out what works and what just looks like something you've thrown in because you can't bear to let it go.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

km85264 wrote: »
    The next step is get somebody to read it. Find an editor who works in poetry and pay for a critique. Find out what works and what just looks like something you've thrown in because you can't bear to let it go.

I've done a bit of work on it today and cut out three more poems that either weren't strong enough or just didn't really fit. I've re-ordered the others a bit more thematically as well.

I'll print it off this afternoon and see how it looks on paper. Might feel better about showing it to people then.

Sounds like a plan!

So on Thursday afternoon, by pure coincidence, I bumped into the very man I wanted to see.

We chatted for a few minutes before I casually dropped it into the conversation that I've been working on something. He's interested in seeing it, both the electronic copy of the document and the printed prototype. There's a possibility of this becoming a book before the end of 2018. Exciting times!

Great to hear. Hope it works out for you!

• Advertisement

So on Thursday afternoon, by pure coincidence, I bumped into the very man I wanted to see.

We chatted for a few minutes before I casually dropped it into the conversation that I've been working on something. He's interested in seeing it, both the electronic copy of the document and the printed prototype. There's a possibility of this becoming a book before the end of 2018. Exciting times!

any chance of a signed copy?:)

Rubecula wrote: »
    any chance of a signed copy?:)

I'll send a few out for Christmas, if I get it done in time. :)

Another bit of an update today. Forgive me for rambling a little bit! :)

The publisher said he could go ahead with the manuscript as it is and it would be alright, but there's potential to make it something really impressive if I continue to work on it. He gave the collection to a poet who's been publishing and editing since the 1970s in order to get more detailed feedback. Plenty of encouragement to begin with. Out of the 49 pieces in the manuscript there were 21 that needed no revisions. Another 9 needed only minor changes (capital letters, missing words, commas, etc).

The other 19 are a mixed bag of challenges. It'll be an interesting exercise to see if I can keep rhyming schemes in some poems while still improving on imagery and word choices. And of course there are some suggestions that I just want to ignore altogether. :pac: For example, there is an adjective flagged in one poem because it can be argued that it's not true in 100% of cases. I think it works nicely, particularly when the poem is read aloud. Maybe I'm too much under the influence of spoken word poetry as opposed to purely written work?

Some of the poems were written over a decade ago, including two that I wrote when I was in Transition Year. I'm reluctant to change those two because I felt they captured things perfectly at the time they were written, but I might have to make concessions anyway. I've been told to take another early one (from just before the Leaving Cert) and cut it in half, removing the final four verses altogether. The first piece that I ever got published in a journal needs its first stanza cut too. I'd rather make changes to it and see if the core idea can be kept in some way. We shall have to wait and see.

A few of them are going to require some real philosophical considerations. Who exactly is the speaking voice in the piece? And to whom exactly are they speaking?

There are two poems that I put at the end because I felt they were atmospheric enough to close out the book properly. I thought they captured certain feelings, but the expert reckons I need to put more effort into dealing with particular themes. These are the kinds of ideas I was hoping to get feedback about. I missed out on a few years worth of conversations with other writers, so I'm glad to communicate with people who have the kind of expertise that I still need to learn. I know I don't necessarily have to go with every recommendation made by the expert. Some of them will open up some fascinating conversations all the same.

You know someone's really trying hard not to hurt your feelings when the best advice they can give you is "Don't be in any hurry to publish this".

You know someone's really trying hard not to hurt your feelings when the best advice they can give you is "Don't be in any hurry to publish this".

Oof!

This the same person who you were on about before?

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Oof!

This the same person who you were on about before?

Indeed it is.

In fairness to him, he gave me some other great advice as well. And he's offered to review my next draft once I've gone through everything again and revised it to his first set of instructions.

I'm just afraid that his vision is a poetry book that academics and other poets will admire, instead of one that friends and family and non-experts can relate to. I'm not trying to become a poetry popstar or anything, but I am worried that I could lose the kind people who've always read my stuff and "got it".

Indeed it is.

In fairness to him, he gave me some other great advice as well. And he's offered to review my next draft once I've gone through everything again and revised it to his first set of instructions.

I'm just afraid that his vision is a poetry book that academics and other poets will admire, instead of one that friends and family and non-experts can relate to. I'm not trying to become a poetry popstar or anything, but I am worried that I could lose the kind people who've always read my stuff and "got it".

He obviously sees something in it. It could be all of these things. I don’t know who the guy is, obviously, but it sounds like he’s trying to bring the best out of your work. That said, if the edits suggested go against your gut, maybe it’s not right for you.

Feel free to PM me if you want a chat about it.

Unfortunately there's a very thin line between ignoring good advice and taking bad advice. Best thing to do is listen, absorb, sit on it for a few weeks and see what it does to your head. If you start to come around to his way of thinking, then it's good advice. If you still find yourself reluctant to go with it, then stick to your creative instincts.

I'm lucky that I have some free time over the next few weeks to mull everything over. I plan to spend most of tomorrow in the peace and quiet of the library. :)

I suppose I'm (rightly) a little perplexed by being told to find my own voice, while still having to conform to what's fashionable with other contemporary writers. Part of the challenge of working effectively within the medium, I guess.

It’s one person’s opinion.

Do you workshop your poems with a group at all? A lot of the time I find a conversation with a small group very effective at getting to the heart of feedback.

Salmon would be the big poetry collection publisher in Ireland. The output is quite diverse. Would it be worthwhile dropping them a line?

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It’s one person’s opinion.

Do you workshop your poems with a group at all? A lot of the time I find a conversation with a small group very effective at getting to the heart of feedback.

Salmon would be the big poetry collection publisher in Ireland. The output is quite diverse. Would it be worthwhile dropping them a line?

A friend of mine was telling me recently that his dream is to have his debut collection published by Salmon. He's refusing to send a book to anyone else until Salmon have published him first. The problem is they have a waiting list of three and a half to four years. :pac:

I've never had the chance to properly workshop my poems before, but I was invited during the chat this morning to join a circle who meet once a month. I wasn't aware that anything like it existed. It'll be very beneficial in the long term to be part of a group like that.

I think part of my reaction today is facing the reality that I'm really still a novice in this game. I've been writing poetry for over 13 years but I haven't always been dedicating enough time or energy to it. I've a hell of a lot of reading and thinking (and then more writing) to do before I can start to be considered a writer of any kind of significance. :o

A friend of mine was telling me recently that his dream is to have his debut collection published by Salmon. He's refusing to send a book to anyone else until Salmon have published him first. The problem is they have a waiting list of three and a half to four years. :pac:

I've never had the chance to properly workshop my poems before, but I was invited during the chat this morning to join a circle who meet once a month. I wasn't aware that anything like it existed. It'll be very beneficial in the long term to be part of a group like that.

I think part of my reaction today is facing the reality that I'm really still a novice in this game. I've been writing poetry for over 13 years but I haven't always been dedicating enough time or energy to it. I've a hell of a lot of reading and thinking (and then more writing) to do before I can start to be considered a writer of any kind of significance. :o

Don't worry about how you're considered, let the poems speak for themselves. The circle will really help, believe me. It's going to be tough at first but it'll start to really fire you up. There is nothing more valuable to me than my writing circle.

As for the waiting list for Salmon, it definitely depends who you know.

If anyone is looking for a full bed and board writing retreat that doesn't require you to be published first (like many), I've found The River Mill in Downpatrick. https://www.the-river-mill.co.uk/

I think I'll treat myself. Doesn't cost the earth either.

Another little update.

I've completed another revision of the script. Hopefully I'll be able to print it in the morning and drop it off for another review.

The poems are divided into sections now. 6 poems have undergone major re-writes. 3 have been cut altogether. I added 5 others that I think fit in better. The collection now has a working title which those new poems reflect in their own different ways. I've re-named 3 other poems, in the hope that (with 2 of them at least) the new titles will clarify the effect that I was aiming to achieve. There was a certain ambiguity about one of them in particular that I hope I've been able to resolve without having to re-write the poem itself.

I think I've made a few big steps towards my goal. There's probably still some work to do, beyond the suggestions made in the initial review. Hopefully the editor/reviewer/expert will appreciate the approach I've taken to their early advice, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else I might be able to learn from him.

I've been writing some new poems over the last few weeks as well. It'll be nice to be able to focus on re-drafting those now that I can take a break from the big project for a few days.

speaking of a script I was seriously thinking of doing one but I need a template to work from any ideas would be most helpful (I was thinking of a movie script)

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I did an advanced scriptwriting module in my uni course. What exactly you looking for? There is a free programme you can use and I can send you one if my scripts so you can see how it's done. I'll just send you a really short one, don't worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

https://www.celtx.com/index.html this is the software we used in uni. It was free to download back then. Hopefully it still is. Very easy to use.

hcass wrote: »
    I did an advanced scriptwriting module in my uni course. What exactly you looking for? There is a free programme you can use and I can send you one if my scripts so you can see how it's done. I'll just send you a really short one, don't worry!

that is brilliant of you my friend and very much appreciated

You can look at screenplays of existing films to see how things are done.

Here's an example, but if you google you can find a lot.

https://www.scriptreaderpro.com/best-screenplays-to-read/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Started writing again for the first time in what must be a couple of years: just putting some concepts down on 'paper'.

Anyone else find after protracted inactivity, half the battle is remembering simple mechanics? Like, how one should format & write dialogue, that sort of thing? Already feeling demotivated at the ease with which the basics slipped my mind :(:D

Advertisement