Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent/Times Exam Diaries (Should be ashamed!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anon3737

its quite disheartening reading about how easy the leaving is when the vast majority of us are struggling throught it. reading about her doing 11 pages in english one and 26 in english two last year when it hasn't gone so well for yourself this year itsn't the greatest confidence boost! of course you're going to do well when it's your third stab at it. hopefully she'll get the points and we'll never have to hear from her again. who knows maybe she will repeat the six year medecine course a few times too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah, that writing zillions of pages of English thing was quite offputting... then I remembered that I'm not repeating my LC (and hopefully will never have to).

I was wondering, what are the chances of whoever corrects her exams having read her exam diary and recognising it as her?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

I hope she doesnt get the points

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Yeah, that writing zillions of pages of English thing was quite offputting... then I remembered that I'm not repeating my LC (and hopefully will never have to).

I was wondering, what are the chances of whoever corrects her exams having read her exam diary and recognising it as her?

Well, in my school The Irish Times is the de facto 'teacher' paper that they all picked up at the school office each morning.
    It's not too far fetched to think the examiner for, say, English (who would also be an Enlgish teacher) had a look at the exam page at least on the day after the exam they thaught for.

Weather it would effect them as much as it has us is another thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ciks

The only exam diary I've read this year was Laura Brady's - and my God! Who on earth chose her to do the diary? What connections does she have? You can just see her now, can't you, sitting at her desk thinking how like Carrie Bradshaw she is.
    And isn't the exam diary supposed to document the exam? Not some little bimbo's life?
    I agree with you Eoin2nc - I hope she doesn't get the points. At least that way, if I ever end up in hospital my femur will be safe from her medical follies...

• Advertisement

Ciks wrote: »
    The only exam diary I've read this year was Laura Brady's - and my God! Who on earth chose her to do the diary? What connections does she have? You can just see her now, can't you, sitting at her desk thinking how like Carrie Bradshaw she is.
    And isn't the exam diary supposed to document the exam? Not some little bimbo's life?
    I agree with you Eoin2nc - I hope she doesn't get the points. At least that way, if I ever end up in hospital my femur will be safe from her medical follies...

I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

She must really want the course to put herself through the ordeal of the Leavin Cert three times.
    I'd wager she's actually as terrified as everyone else (if not more so), so it'd just be a huge improvement if she showed that in her articles.
    I don't know why she'd attempting to hide her worries (how can you not worry if you need perfect scores on all your exams, let alone if you've already failed twice to do it?), but that's the part that really seems to be grating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bitterstudent

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Amen.

Going into your leaving cert, with the aspirations most of us carry (i.e to land a decent amount of points, to do something we're passionate about- or even settle for an option 2!) it's quite off putting to read about somebody whos done three paid terms in a well to do school in the hope of eventually getting into medicine. I'd rather pick up the Times tomorrow morning and find out what Joe Bloggs from AnyTown in Co. WhoGivesABalls thought about the papers to date, than read about somebody who at this rate is probably paying rent in the Institute.

third time lucky, maybe Joe Bloggs gets a say next year.

Also, the 'IRISH TIMES LUVS INSTITUTE' thing is undeniable, and they are taking the p!ss.It's a national newspaper, but sometimes you have to wonder how much of the nation can relate to it....we still buy it every morning, so don't mind me....typical Irish bloke, moaning while the hands in the pocket.

The leavingcert.net (i think i got that right?) blog is far far better, and good reading. cheers.

Ha, Thanks private eye, nice to see people are enjoying it. It's actually leaving-cert.net, the other domains refers you to skoool.ie Just to throw in that bit of an advert ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

i dont think id find anything more amusing, than if she repeated AGAIN and did the diary AGAIN, i hate that girl !

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

In all fairness, if you can only muster up 545 after 4 years in the leaving cert cycle, medicine isn't made for you. I could be totally off by suggesting that she could hardly have the mental capacity to be a doctor if this is her situation. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

anon3737 wrote: »
    its quite disheartening reading about how easy the leaving is when the vast majority of us are struggling throught it. reading about her doing 11 pages in english one and 26 in english two last year when it hasn't gone so well for yourself this year itsn't the greatest confidence boost! of course you're going to do well when it's your third stab at it. hopefully she'll get the points and we'll never have to hear from her again. who knows maybe she will repeat the six year medecine course a few times too...

That's absolutely outrageous! 8 pages per section and 2 for the unseen poetry. I did 6 in the Literary Genre, and that was the most I did on any one section.

• Advertisement

Ekels wrote: »
    In all fairness, if you can only muster up 545 after 4 years in the leaving cert cycle, medicine isn't made for you. I could be totally off by suggesting that she could hardly have the mental capacity to be a doctor if this is her situation. Ridiculous.

What you have to remember is that a 600 point requirement is based on demand, not the skill or talent required to complete that course.

There's courses under 300 points that are just as or even more challenging than a medicine course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

A friend of mine wrote about 47 pages for English paper 2. Which i was sort of gobsmacked by, i found it hard to write 12!

And yeah I'd agree, that girl doing the leaving cert for the third time, is a little sad if i may say so myself. If I were doing it for the time I wouldn't be happy about it, but she seems to be rather pleased with herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

I know her from the institute a couple of years back (I moved on first time though, just hanging around the LC board for a bit of nostalgia), and she's really not that bad in real life. Not at all surprised she's still there though. People like her are just as happy in the Institute as they would be in medicine, as long as they're doing the most elite thing at the level they're at it's grand. The tute is crawling with her type, soon they'll be opening up a residential wing for the permanent residents. Places like the tute are rich people's defence agaisnt the fact that any old commoner can go to college now, so they cling and stagnate in it for years because it's the last point of exclusivity along the educational path (they do also offer a ****ing super education for those after one though tbf). Like **** she'd have picked medicine if it was a 400 point course. If she had to repeat the leaving cert at a normal school, she'd have taken her first score and run.
    But she does have quite touching flashes of humanity at times, believe it or not. They just struggle to get through her perma-materialism.
    Her columns however, are cringe-inducing drivel. I reflexively scrunched the paper up in embarrassment at her line about striding towards the day when the maitre d of the educational system would show her to the CAO's most elite table.
    She tells us what movie star she looks like daily. Each piece of furniture in her house has more posh titles associated with it than the Sistine Chapel. She goes to the institute, and feels the need to mention it 3 times per article. We get it Laura, now write about the frigging exams!

And I can confirm she got the gig by high up connections at the times, it's a perk of being Ross O Carroll Kelly's twin.

I know her from the institute a couple of years back (I moved on first time though, just hanging around the LC board for a bit of nostalgia), and she's really not that bad in real life. Not at all surprised she's still there though. People like her are just as happy in the Institute as they would be in medicine, as long as they're doing the most elite thing at the level they're at it's grand. The tute is crawling with her type, soon they'll be opening up a residential wing for the permanent residents. Places like the tute are rich people's defence agaisnt the fact that any old commoner can go to college now, so they cling and stagnate in it for years because it's the last point of exclusivity along the educational path (they do also offer a ****ing super education for those after one though tbf). Like **** she'd have picked medicine if it was a 400 point course. If she had to repeat the leaving cert at a normal school, she'd have taken her first score and run.
    But she does have quite touching flashes of humanity at times, believe it or not. They just struggle to get through her perma-materialism.
    Her columns however, are cringe-inducing drivel. I reflexively scrunched the paper up in embarrassment at her line about striding towards the day when the maitre d of the educational system would show her to the CAO's most elite table.
    She tells us what movie star she looks like daily. Each piece of furniture in her house has more posh titles associated with it than the Sistine Chapel. She goes to the institute, and feels the need to mention it 3 times per article. We get it Laura, now write about the frigging exams!

And I can confirm she got the gig by high up connections at the times, it's a perk of being Ross O Carroll Kelly's twin.

Exactly my thinking. Too many people just want to be able to say they got a 600 point course, with little worry what the course is as long as it's prestigious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 there-there

Syferus wrote: »
    What's so terrible about it besides her diary?
    They've been proressive in keeping tabs on this board snd their paper dissections are all other papers - based on random teachers' opinions.

It not a new issue and it's been one that's been inherrant in the media at all levels for decedes now.

It's also featured bits on certain secondary school throughout the week, which is far more than others have done.
    Rosanna Davidson telling us the day before the LC started how she did 15 hours study each day for her exams was no help whatsoever

Rosanna Davidson telling us the day before the LC started how she did 15 hours study each day for her exams was no help whatsoever

In that case it was an op-ed article. The newspaper gives free reign to the person and lets them say what they will.
    Anything else would be censorship.

In Laura Brady's case it was bad judgement to choose her even before she wrote anything as her situation is absurdly unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

So i know you don't want to know and you don't really care, and the critisicm i have recieved in this thread although small compared to the poor other girl i am taking it on board.

I've been a member of these boards a while but when i was told i was being discussed i said i'd make a return to satisfy my curiosity.
    Regardless that i almost got banned because of some rule about not popularising events ran by a certain concert organiser.

Im glad people can relate to me, however i feel Laura is getting off quite hard, i have never done anything like this form of writing before, and i doubt she has either.

Also a couple of pages back a guy tried to say that i could have disagreed with the statement, the word 'duh' comes to mind but as the following person said, i was hoping on a character solely on Iago(intrigue).

Anyway i'll probably become more active on this soon enough but as of now ill just browse. Thanks for all the reassuring posts and even the critical ones are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

So i know you don't want to know and you don't really care, and the critisicm i have recieved in this thread although small compared to the poor other girl i am taking it on board.

I've been a member of these boards a while but when i was told i was being discussed i said i'd make a return to satisfy my curiosity.
    Regardless that i almost got banned because of some rule about not popularising events ran by a certain concert organiser.

Im glad people can relate to me, however i feel Laura is getting off quite hard, i have never done anything like this form of writing before, and i doubt she has either.

Also a couple of pages back a guy tried to say that i could have disagreed with the statement, the word 'duh' comes to mind but as the following person said, i was hoping on a character solely on Iago(intrigue).

Anyway i'll probably become more active on this soon enough but as of now ill just browse. Thanks for all the reassuring posts and even the critical ones are welcome.

Which one are you again?

Well, to be fair you've done a good job at giving an idea of he pressures and hopes of the exams.

I think the fact she has done little beyond wax lyrical about herself is what has been so off-putting and that's something your exam diary (as well as others') don't seem as concerned with so it is a problem with the persona she has developed (or has decided to present).

janeybabe wrote: »
    Which one are you again?

I'd safely wager he's Mark Roche, the guy who is doing the Irish Independent's exam diary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Syferus wrote: »
    I'd safely wager he's Mark Roche, the guy who is doing the Irish Independent's exam diary.

I actually think he's doing a good job, as I'm sure others do too. He describes the build up outside the exam, the exam itself and after the exam, and he throws in a bit of humour.

Is the one from the Times in the paper today? I was going to buy it to see what the fuss is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭scholes19

here here hes doing a great job!!:D

Thanks guys, and yes, it is Mark Roche! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

Just out of Irish, a little early. Decided to come downtown and blog about it :D I need to sleep so badly =.=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

The above post made me laugh, and made me think, and is the best thing I've seen on the internet in a long long time.

It's a wonder she's still writing the diary. We wont be picking up the Irish Times this week. Between her, and Dr. Garret Fitzgerald they can go and get ****ed this week.

I still can not believe they gave her the diary in the first place. Madame Editor, whats the story?

whats ironic is that the editor of the times is originally from where i live and is also friends with my parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Livo

laura brady has to be the most annoying person on the face of the planet....not all of us can afford to go out and see sex and the city and "trip through the streets of donnybrook" at 2am before english paper two!! seriously, get someone who's more on a level with the standard leaving cert student...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

No diary entry today?

i think the times runs from tuesday to saturday aswell!

• Advertisement

Livo wrote: »
    laura brady has to be the most annoying person on the face of the planet....not all of us can afford to go out and see sex and the city and "trip through the streets of donnybrook" at 2am before english paper two!! seriously, get someone who's more on a level with the standard leaving cert student...

Seeing as this is her third attempt and and fifth year doing the Leaving Cert course I don't think her fantasy seems from her superior abilities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement