Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pipe Smoking

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

so I ended up going for a little spin with Fajitas! today to dublin
    I too both blame and thank Fajitas! for leading me down the path to pipedom.:)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Fajitas! bringing pipes to all. :P

photo.jpg

lil pic for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

My aul fella is going to keep an eye out for that tobacco he was talking about last night, will give you a shout if/when it comes in!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Probably will inhale some smoke whether you intend to or not.

More importantly IMO - it will get you addicted to the drug in cigarettes - Nicotine, so don't surprised if you end up a social smoker and then an addict.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Fajitas! wrote: »
    My aul fella is going to keep an eye out for that tobacco he was talking about last night, will give you a shout if/when it comes in!

ah yeah, forgot about that, it sounded pretty awesome though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Wouldnt mind giving it a go myself although never once smoked a cigarette. Would this be foolish so?

anyone know of a place in Galway to buy a pipe?

Yes very foolish. You will get addicted to nicotine and you might find a pipe is awkward and turn to cigs.

Trust me as a nicotine addict - it is not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Fajitas! bringing pipes to all. :P

photo.jpg

lil pic for ye

My father, a pipe smoker for the last 70 years, would take the piss out of you for that fancy yoke with the bendy stem. :D

As for those of you taking it up on a whim. DON'T! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

BigDuffman wrote: »
    After wandering into the emporium of man that is James Foxes opposite Trinity, myself and a few of the boys have recently taken up pipe smoking.

Tis a fine and noble hobby. I have never smoked ciggarettes, although I used to puff away on a cigar at special occasions. But I must say it is thoroughly enjoyable and as I recently discovered a great talking point with the girlies, 24 and smoking a pipe must make me appear more sophisticated?!;)

Any other pipe smokers out there?

To be honest, the only person I can see you being identified with at that age smoking a pipe is this knob-end...

142605.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

im in my 20s too & based in dublin but bought a pipe in a music shop on shop st in galway durin the xmas,, got tobacco in petersons but am havin trouble keepin it lighting,, anyone else havin same trouble?

Perhaps you've packed your tobacco too tight. Heres a useful guide.
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/information/howto/packing.cfm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

cheers for that,,, anyone notice that unlike alot of other european cities there doesnt seem to be any pipe smokers clubs in dublin,, or are there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Little Drummer Boy

Howya Lads,
    Started smoking a pipe on and off about two years ago (im 23) have recently started smoking on a more regular basis. Nothing beats the relaxed feeling you get from smoking as pipe. From the very begining of cleaning the pipe out to packing the bowl and then actually smoking it. It's true what they say about pipe smokers being pensieve. At the moment im smoking Petersons DeLuxe, have previously soked a brand called Cassablanca(cherry). Any recomendations on a good aromatic would be very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 p_ninja

Out of the aromatic Petersons tobaccos which are really the only quality tobaccos that are "widely" available in Ireland I prefer Sunset Breeze. I have smoked Luxury Blend, Deluxe, Connoisseurs choice and Sweet Killarney. Luxury blend would be my second choice out of that group and I would recommend you avoid Sweet Killarney as it has alot of tongue bite. That said I no longer smoke aromatics regularly and prefer English blends and Virginia's. Over time you will develop your own taste, like everthing else I guess.

Also as a side note try the tobacco reviews website, which is a mint of good info about decent tobacco... and the worlds best kept secret, Pipe Smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I'm with Bottle of Smoke on this one.

Think carefully before you make a decision to train yourself to have a craving for a carcinogen for the remainder of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sky King wrote: »
    I'm with Bottle of Smoke on this one.

Think carefully before you make a decision to train yourself to have a craving for a carcinogen for the remainder of your life.

Pipe smoking is substantially different to cigarette smoking in terms of addiction potential. You get a much bigger spike and drop of nicotine levels in the blood from cigarettes causing a much stronger "addiction" reaction and craving. Smoking a pipe results in a much longer, smoother nicotine level in the blood, not a big spike, creating far less craving. This is why you see pipe smokers not having a pipe until the evening quite often while a cigarette smoker will fit in a cigarette any chance they get normally.

All this assumes you're not inhaling your pipe smoke of course, it's got to do with absorption differences between mouth and lungs and so on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Have a read of Stephen Fry's book and he goes on about his pipe smoking days and what his thoughts on it were.. An interesting read and he has an amazing grasp on the English language.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

nesf wrote: »
    Pipe smoking is substantially different to cigarette smoking in terms of addiction potential.

+1

Great post.
    ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Have a read of Stephen Fry's book and he goes on about his pipe smoking days and what his thoughts on it were.. An interesting read and he has an amazing grasp on the English language.. :)

Must pick it up Stephen Fry is an absolute Gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Film company

I am a Pipe smoker but I don't think it should be encouraged. All smoking is harmful. Taking up pipes for show is the wrong motivation. I, personally smoke for the flavor and I also collect pipes. It is really not cool for a young man to smoke a pipe. Younger guys look a little pretentious to older pipe smokers if trying to impress the "girlies". Being a cool guy and healthy is what impresses them. Plus having nice smelling breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

cheers for that,,, anyone notice that unlike alot of other european cities there doesnt seem to be any pipe smokers clubs in dublin,, or are there?

It's completely illegal to smoke indoors in any workplace, so it's highly unlikely that any such club would exist in Ireland. Unless they just all stand outside smoking their pipes.

It's all very subjective, but I cannot stand the smell of pipe or cigar smoke. To my nose, it just stinks. I don't really see the attraction that some people have to the smell of turf smoke either. To me it just says there's something seriously wrong with your chimney as the smoke's leaking out into your living room.

Unless you're at least 80, or you have somehow been transported through a wormhole back to the 19th century you look ridiculous smoking a pipe.

You could also take up wearing a monocle.

To be fair there are plenty of first rate smoking areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

OldGoat wrote: »
    To be fair there are plenty of first rate smoking areas.

Yeah, but there were some exemptions in some countries for special 'clubs'.

That's not the case in Ireland as the law's framed in such a way that it's there to protect employees / workers in the workplace from exposure to carcinogenic smoke. It's not framed as a ban on smoking in the way it is elsewhere.

It just so happens that you cannot smoke in any enclosed workplace, which basically means in any enclosed space other than your own home.

A smoking club dosen't have to be in enclosed spaces. A group of like minded smokers get together in any of the top 10 smoking areas in the City on a regular basis to smoke, swop, chat. It's been happening for years in the cigar world.
    There are a few threads in the Smoking Forum listing quality smoking areas. You don't have to stand outside to smoke.

It could be time to think about getting together and having a Smoking Forum Beers Smokes - pipes, cigarettes and cigars. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Oh yeah we sure do!!!

Maybe its because im 30 year old single white female...but no I would never find this attractive. Then again, maybe 24 year old women like it?? Unless alot change between 1980 and 1986 I beg to differ.
    Somebody's humour button is switched off.

Advertisement