Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UCDSU Elections - Who's running for what?

Options
  • 11-02-2013 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Just thought I'd kick start the thread for the SU elections:

President: Michéal Gallagher
    Undergrad Education:
    Postgrad Education:
    Welfare:

That's all I know so far, I also heard Paddy Guiney is running for campaigns at the USI.

Best of luck to whoever else is running!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kilrush

President : Jamie Rath
    Human Sciences Convener : Niall Dunne

are the ones ive heard so far

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

USI Campaigns and Communications: Paddy Guiney

President: Michael (confirmed), Brendan Lacey
    Education: Declan Clear (confirmed), Amy Fox
    Welfare: Cian Dowling (confirmed), David Healy (confirmed), Ciara Johnson

Human Sciences: Niall Dunne (confirmed)
    Science: Valerie O Brien (confirmed)

I wouldn't bet on their being a huge amount of change in the three sabbats. A fog still hangs over "Graduate education" and "Ents" as the referendum in ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Valerie O'Brien has it in the bag. Can't really see anyone else running for the position. Not from second year anyway. Might get a shneaky first year though.. we'll just have to wait and see.

Any word on who's going to take over for health sciences or engineering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Is there much to this other than most popular kid in school / who has the biggest group of friends?

Are there any issues / anything meaningful that people stand election for / vote for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Is there much to this other than most popular kid in school / who has the biggest group of friends?

No.

Are there any issues / anything meaningful that people stand election for / vote for?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Over the previous six to seven years it appears to be who could rack up the most debt and mismanage almost every area that the union controls.

Valerie O'Brien has it in the bag. Can't really see anyone else running for the position. Not from second year anyway. Might get a shneaky first year though.. we'll just have to wait and see.

Any word on who's going to take over for health sciences or engineering?

I'd hope so, she only won the bye-election like 2 weeks ago and hasn't really had a chance to get started.

Engineering is anybody's guess, I mean Cian has done it for two years because it is one of the most apathetic faculties. I'd say Adam Carroll will re-run for health sciences, he's done a good job, there is more to do.

Yeah there are, its slightly apathetic to believe that the SU has no bearing on things like the Sunday Library opening hours, the bar and actual support provisions provided by the union.

For example this years union got a few mandates from last year to focus on LGBT issues and have done a half decent job. They've run a couple of a relatively high profile campaigns (Irish Times and RTE coverage, stimulating nationwide debate) and on campus have encouraged greater participation in things like pink training, and have a good plan for Rainbow week. At the very least every SU branded page is supporting rainbow week, and that is down to the candidate doing a good job.

The SU did keep up pressure on the university during semester 1 to get Sunday opening hours for the library. Many people felt a more a radical union would have campaigned in a more confrontational manner with the university on it, but this union has secured second semester opening hours, which is something to be commended. When you go to vote you have to think about how your candidate would have acted in that scenario. (Potential campaigns mooted included a "bucket collection" outside press and feeder schools to embarrass the university into opening library, it was shelved because it might damage the rep of our degrees, and an open letter asking trinity to allow us to use their library, shelved becuase the college caved before we got round to it.

On the ents front we've had a tough year. Heffo has campaigned a lot to get the bar back and had to overcome some serious hurdles. That building had no fire alarm last semester and 650k worth of debt he had to get the uni to take care of. But he succeeded. Something that shouldn't be forgotten. He's now facing a fight because he has to run the bar at a profit on a theatre license without being able to take any of the money made on the Bar (This is an edit, I initially said door, I don't know why). But he is sitll fighting to renegotiate. In the meantime he organised with Kielys of Mount Merrion (one of the closest pubs to campus) that they would have a student night. Tuesday last was the launch night, it was hopping, absolutely jammed. 3e pints, 2:50e shots. Also Kiely's wasn't in the best place financially so he made a powerful ally in the community by entering into the deal.

Finally on a national campaign level this year we had a bit of a disaster. I firmly believe USI membership was to blame for the Gilmore fiasco, but when voting for your officers this year you will have to look at how you want your union to campaign on fees. A more radical officer board would probably be into the occupations and stuff. Especially if we disaffiliate from USI, because if we do, we're in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

No one is guaranteed anything now in SU elections. Particularly in the Exec positions as they are being run with the sabats. The campaign teams will be diminished for the exec elections compared to previous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Hopefully some candidate will break new ground and promise that we'll get better food in the restaurant. No candidate has ever promised that in the past 20 years. Nope, never. Not at all. <end sarcasm>

PS: Just went into the new restaurant and the layout is lovely and a genuine fair play to all concerned. However, the food is much the same. More specifically, the chips are still horribly the same, undercooked food that they were when Satan* himself was Students Union President. Hopefully, somebody involved in the restaurant could just start the food changes with the chips!

*Yes, I do mean this individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭bbuzz

Seanchai wrote: »
    PS: Just went into the new restaurant and the layout is lovely and a genuine fair play to all concerned. However, the food is much the same. More specifically, the chips are still horribly the same, undercooked food that they were when Satan* himself was Students Union President. Hopefully, somebody involved in the restaurant could just start the food changes with the chips!

I actually think the food is much much better in the restaurant since Aramark too over. The stir fry is lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

bbuzz wrote: »
    I actually think the food is much much better in the restaurant since Aramark too over. The stir fry is lovely!

Stir fry sounds exotic! Might now give it a try, though.

Becky Gilmore is running for Health Science and Adam Carroll was collecting signatures for Undergraduate Education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Seanchai, bbuzz - Please post in the Deceleration of SU allegiances thread before 5pm today, or I will be banning you in accordance with the rules set out there. This warning is not standard, will not be repeated, and is mainly occurring because it's Friday and that makes me happy.

I believe Clear and Healy are out.

Adam Carroll might be in for education.

President: Mícheál Gallagher and Aidan Kelly

Welfare: Cian Dowling and Ciara Johnson

Undergraduate education: Amy Fox and Adam Carroll.
    Postgraduate education: None

Ag, Food and Vet: Devin Finneran
    Arts & Celtic: Aonghus Ó Briain
    Business & Law: Nicole Scully
    Human Sciences: Niall Dunne and Áine Mooney
    Health Science: Becky Gilmore
    Science: Valerie O'Brien
    Engineering & Architecture: None

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭bbuzz

The posters seem very bland and there still isn't much buzz about the election. Anyone think that the lack of ents election will negatively affect the whole thing?

bbuzz wrote: »
    The posters seem very bland and there still isn't much buzz about the election. Anyone think that the lack of ents election will negatively affect the whole thing?

The general lack of contested positions is the main thing but Ents would have been fun too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Don't really see the lack of ents having much impact. Sure it was uncontested last year.

Advertisement