Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of new routes at Cork airport

• 14-11-2013 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Ryanair have just announced a number of new routes for Dublin, Shannon had the same a few weeks ago and even Knock has 3 new routes.

Any developments for Cork or will there be a announcement shortly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

They should bring back the Berlin flight .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Would love some more cork flights... but as long as they retain that amsterdam flight for now I'm happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭blindsider

The DAA own and control Cork Airport - why would they bother?

Cork Airport is a big, empty white elephant; and, until it can run its own affairs, it will remain so.

It's an absolute farce and not one politician is making any noise about this - much to their discredit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Cork airport is regularly brought to a standstill due to heavy fog…it's location wouldn't entice an airline to open new routes, if there's going to be too many cancellations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

New routes will be announced shortly.Ongoing talks.

First up,Cork - New York €100 return.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Cork airport is regularly brought to a standstill due to heavy fog…it's location wouldn't entice an airline to open new routes, if there's going to be too many cancellations.

That's not at all as much of an issue anymore with Cat II equipped aircraft. I've landed there plenty times this year when I couldn't see the runway until right before touchdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Maybe it's because Cork already has a more significant portfolio of destinations in its cache.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

It has good connections to London and holiday destinations during the summer. I haven't flown from cork for work purposes in a long time, it's less hassle to get a direct flight from Dublin than to connect through somewhere else.

How often do you hear of Dublin people driving to cork because the flights are better?

You can get to Amsterdam and london early in the morning. One day trips to Paris or Brussels aren't possible- you'll only get there in they afternoon or evening.
    There hasn't been a flight to Frankfurt for years, and when there was, it landed in Dublin and if you were lucky you didn't have to change planes.

Look at the departures list for tomorrow and the times of the flights:
    http://www.cork-airport.com/gns/flight-information/departures.aspx
    Nothing to write home about.

They still manage to charge 8.50 or 9.00 per day for parking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

That's not at all as much of an issue anymore with Cat II equipped aircraft. I've landed there plenty times this year when I couldn't see the runway until right before touchdown.

Thanks for that! Good to know....but will definitely be planking it next time I see fog - with the knowledge that the pilot can't see the runway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Interesting to see Varadkar saying today that's there's no 'regulatory obstacles 'issues with transatlantic flights from Cork.

http://thecorknews.ie/articles/transatlantic-flights-cork-real-possibility-12858

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

Hard to see the DAA ever allowing transatlantic flights from cork sadly.
    Would be great for the region if it could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

As the pilot?

Thanks for that! Good to know....but will definitely be planking it next time I see fog - with the knowledge that the pilot can't see the runway!

Look up the report into the fatal crash a couple of years ago. It discusses this exact subject. A pilot has two chances to land and must be able to see the runway at a certain distance.

Cork is regularly closed to CAT II approaches in fog.

podmu80 wrote: »

AFAIK, the runway is officially too short, though we've had emergency landings that coped fine, an Amsterdam DC10 being a relatively recent event.

"Have you enough runway?" asked the tower. "Fine" came the reply and he took off in the same distance but far greater speed than O'Leary's 737's do, and they are pretty smart already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

They should bring back the Berlin flight .

That would be so unbelieveably useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

podmu80 wrote: »

I agree, they would rather see Cork passengers flying transatlantic out of Dublin.
    What is annoying is that as and from next Janurary Aer Lingus will be operating transatlantic routes from Shannon and Dublin using leased 757 aircraft, a machine perfectly suitable for a Cork / US service, but no mention of Cork.

As was said earlier,its an utter disgrace why the Cork Politicians are not challenging the DAA about this.

I remember reading not so long ago that a boss in one of the American companies in Cork was saying how bad it was,that there was no transatlantic flights from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Look up the report into the fatal crash a couple of years ago. It discusses this exact subject. A pilot has two chances to land and must be able to see the runway at a certain distance.

Cork is regularly closed to CAT II approaches in fog.

True, but CAT II has reduced the number of diversions substantially.

The Manx 2 crash was a nightmare from the crew, and the aircraft was only certified for CAT I approaches anyway.

As was said earlier,its an utter disgrace why the Cork Politicians are not challenging the DAA about this.

I remember reading not so long ago that a boss in one of the American companies in Cork was saying how bad it was,that there was no transatlantic flights from Cork.

Could not agree more. I can't for the life of me understand how its ok for the airport to be "independent" when it comes to servicing the debt but yet has to submit its business plan to the DAA for approval. How can it grow and develop when a competing airport is making the key decisions? i would love to know more about the board in cork airport, are they appointed by the DAA. If so, transatlantic will remain a pipe dream in my opinion.
    The managing director of EMC has commented on this situation on more than one occasion.
    As for the length of the runway, what type of aircraft is it too short to accommodate?

Interesting thread here,about the whole Cork transatlantic flights debate.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/transport/211864-us-flights-cork-face-barriers.html

• Advertisement

interesting thread, kind of descends into the usual cork bashing though. just a shame the airport will never maximise its potential. then again neither will the city itself, look no further than the boundary fiasco.
    remember reading Michael o Leary's take on the situation. say what you like about him, but he does talk sense in relation to this.
    it is just insane that a competitor can make the key decisions which not only impacts on the airport itself, but the region as a whole. The DAA don't give a flying fcuk about cork, why would they, how they are allowed to continue to have the control they do sums up what is wrong with this country of ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    and even Knock has 3 new routes

What....?!

What Knock isn't a proper airport or something...? They carry nearly 700,000 passengers annually and have had a great working relationship with Ryanair for a fair few years much better then the DAA airports have had.

For an independent airport which is rurally based its done incredibly well for itself and the figures look set to increase with more flights. Without trying to cause offense but maybe you down in cork aren't aware of this!

Knock is a great airport serving the west. But on work trips from cork (the county has a population of 500,000 people remember), i've had to go to waterford, kerry and dublin because the flights are just not available here. It's a right pain, and if I think so, you can be sure that people making decisions on whether to base their business here take it into consideration too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

I wish they would have some decant flights out. Recently flew out from Dublin and while twas grand like,it would be so much easier to fly from cork.. After spending all the moment on the new airport tis daft to leave it going to waste with only a few flights..Aer Lingus and Ryan get yer asses in gear

Driving to dublin airport and back adds 100 euro in fuel, parking and tolls to the price of the flight for someone from cork too. Plus an overnight stay up there if the flight is very early morning. It's a pure dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pwurple wrote: »
    Driving to dublin airport and back adds 100 euro in fuel, parking and tolls to the price of the flight for someone from cork too. Plus an overnight stay up there if the flight is very early morning. It's a pure dose.

Bus. 3 hours from Cork to Dublin Airport.
    Some late hour busses.
    Cheap as chips.
    Comfortable.
    Toilet.
    WIFI.

No reason to drive anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

The bus is great alright but if lets say you cant do the bus it is quite expensive to Pwurple said to pay for tolls, parking and all that goes.. I think Cork should just have its own airline called the bouy or something..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

The bus is grand as long as you don't have kids. And not all of them have toilets.

if there was any kind of planning going on then Shannon and cork could share some of the same routes between them. So if Shannon doesn't have a route then cork is likely to have it instead. Driving cork to Shannon is a hell of a lot better than driving to Dublin, motorway or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Can someone explain to me why the air bridges aren't being used at Cork Airport ?

IMO, isn't there a plan to lengthen the runway ? Until the DAA gives up control of the airport, there isn't a hope of transatlantic flights going through Cork.

The reason is simple. It would wipe out Shannon over night. Cork politicians need to push hard for the CAA to take over the running of the airport. IIRC, there is nothing currently holding back flights to the US via medium sized aircraft. 747s can presently land at Cork Airport but can only take off when emptied of passengers and cargo. The longer runway will solve this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

The airbridges arent being used because they charge the airlines too much to use them.

I would love if flights to Berlin and Prague came back, evenif the latter was only for a season

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement