Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Voice Of Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bugz

thefrench wrote: »
    is that not part of the jeopardy for the coaches? they have to pick 12, surely they have to run out sometime.

That is true, if they were smart enough they wouldnt have kept telling the audience how many picks they had left. the place was in a bit of disbelief when they realised all the picks were gone and yet the judges made up excuses as to why they didnt pick them.
    My problem with it was that they asked professional singers to go to the auditions, specifically those who wouldn't normally go for a talent show like x factor etc.
    They then publicly humiliate these people by blatently lying to them in front of an audience who know exactly what was going on.
    They at the very least should have been honest to the people auditioning and tell them that the spots were filled.

What is comical about it is that Brian Kennedy told a girl that his spots were filled, the producers came down and had a word with him, then he started making **** up, the rest followed suit so I have 0 respect for any of the judges, they just did what they have done their whole careers......be the bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dont the coaches have to sing with their acts at some stage :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Just watched this on RTE Player. Probably the first time i've watched a singing competition and been entertained.

That's not to say i wasn't frustrated at times, like when someone was a really good singer and no one turned their chairs because it isn't their style of music and they "Wouldn't know what to do" with them, If that's the case, i could go in and sing a song similiar to the blizzards and have bressie turn or sing a ballad and have brian turn, just my thoughts.

That theme song needs to change though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

bugz wrote: »
    What is comical about it is that Brian Kennedy told a girl that his spots were filled, the producers came down and had a word with him, then he started making **** up, the rest followed suit so I have 0 respect for any of the judges, they just did what they have done their whole careers......be the bitch.

I think there's a disjointed, uncertain, "make it up as we go along" sort of feel to the show.. As well as that, I have serious problems with both the contestants and the judges..

Judges - Aside from Brian Kennedy, none of them has a real singing pedigree, yet they are meant to be mentoring/helping some of the singers :confused: .. The "arguing over contestants" is also cringeworthy... oh, and I'd love to slap Kian Egan across the face with a wet fish

Contestants - It's meant to be open auditions.. but they have already told us that there was a pre-show vetting/interview stage... AND a lot of the contestants have strong connections in the music industry, which makes me question the true objectivity of the selection of the contestants....

• Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The contestants have to vetted to a certain extent, otherwise the audition phase would take 3 months. Plus it's nice to see a talent show where, you know, talent is displayed. Seeing the untalented twits (à la American Idol/X Factor) just for laughs gets a bit tiresome.

Regarding the mentoring, the mentors pick contestants that are closer to their style (despite being talented, a few weren't chosen last night because they broadly didn't fit with the mentors' styles/genres).

I watched the US version of The Voice last year, and while the mentors in TVI can't really compete with Cee Lo Green, Christina Aguilera, Adam Levine and Blake Shelton in terms of star power, they definitely did a good job (although if some of the contestants had a chance to watch Come Dine With Me before hand, they might be less inclined to have picked BK as a mentor - that show did him no favours). Yes I know it was pre-recorded, but you know what I mean.

I'll be watching next week.

• Advertisement

I think there's a disjointed, uncertain, "make it up as we go along" sort of feel to the show.. As well as that, I have serious problems with both the contestants and the judges..

Judges - Aside from Brian Kennedy, none of them has a real singing pedigree, yet they are meant to be mentoring/helping some of the singers :confused: .. The "arguing over contestants" is also cringeworthy... oh, and I'd love to slap Kian Egan across the face with a wet fish

Contestants - It's meant to be open auditions.. but they have already told us that there was a pre-show vetting/interview stage... AND a lot of the contestants have strong connections in the music industry, which makes me question the true objectivity of the selection of the contestants....

At least they admitted to this on air compared to Fix Factor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Guys and girls its all a fix! I was in the audience and seen some great singers sent home! I have a masters degree in Music and know what Im talking about. I was at the last show and three great singers were sent home and told no good cause the coaches had no votes left!

Its a farce a fix and a con job! I hope the last 5 singers get together and legal proceedings againsts the production company and RTE! Its yet to be seen if they broadcast these people. :confused:

Not surprised at this. I was the UK auditions in November. We were in groups of about eight. Everyone was excellent (not bragging but I was really good myself and got big applause, etc.). We couldn't believe it when an overweight 60 year old doing a bathroom version of Rihanna got chosen to go to live shows, and the rest of us sent home.

The opening episode of The Voice of Ireland has proven to be a great ratings success on RTÉ One, with 708,000 tuning in to see the first group of hopefuls.
    The Voice of Ireland - Coaches have picked the first singers they will mentor on their teams

Sunday's show saw the four coaches - Bressie, Sharon Corr, Kian Egan and Brian Kennedy - pick the first singers they will mentor on their teams.
    The coaches were not allowed see the singers, only to hear them, while they sang.
    The big shock on the opening show was that singer Tara Blaise, who has released two albums, was not picked by any of the judges from her rendition of Livin' on a Prayer.
    There will be four more 'blind audition shows' - where the coaches are not allowed see the singers, only to hear them - which will be followed by three singing battle rounds and then the live performance shows will begin on March 4.

The live shows will run for nine weeks, with the public helping to decide who stays in the competition.

The final four contestants - one for each coach - will compete in the grand final for a recording contract with Universal Music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Oh, by the way kids, you know you don't need to audition on a talent show to get ahead in music?
    You know, you can still write your own songs, pay for all the recording, book your own gigs, do your own PR, shop your album for licensing deals or publishing deals.....
    Just a thought......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I know the lads on it next week. Chap said he can't give details but that he done well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The opening episode of The Voice of Ireland has proven to be a great ratings success on RTÉ One, with 708,000 tuning in to see the first group of hopefuls.
    Make that 707,999 as I just endured it while visiting relatives as they watched it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 pentiuminside

thefrench wrote: »
    Guys and girls its all a fix! I was in the audience and seen some great singers sent home! I have a masters degree in Music and know what Im talking about. I was at the last show and three great singers were sent home and told no good cause the coaches had no votes left!

Its a farce a fix and a con job! I hope the last 5 singers get together and legal proceedings againsts the production company and RTE! Its yet to be seen if they broadcast these people. :confused:

is that not part of the jeopardy for the coaches? they have to pick 12, surely they have to run out sometime.

I agree they must run out at some stage. But when you run out send the remaining contestants home and not humiliate them with stupid excuses when your out of votes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 whalemeat27

Happy new Year.

Another year of looking at ****E on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mcgu

seachto7 wrote: »
    Oh, by the way kids, you know you don't need to audition on a talent show to get ahead in music?
    You know, you can still write your own songs, pay for all the recording, book your own gigs, do your own PR, shop your album for licensing deals or publishing deals.....
    Just a thought......

Well said...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Fruit1985

I thought it was a change for RTE and watchable, albeit not a huge fan of Kian & Brian. Read our full review here - <SNIP>

Mod Edit: You'll get no free traffic to your blog from here. Post your recap in this thread if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 musicisthedoor

I thought the show wasn't that bad, it actually had some talented people on it! Can't believe Tara was cut, she should have done a better job with her performance. Either way, here's a recap of the first show:

Mod Edit: You'll get no free traffic to your blog from here. Post your recap in this thread if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

didnt get to see it on sun but caught bits and pieces on you tube during the week it actually looks like a good show very surprising for rte. when the first round of the 'blind auditions' are done does it turn into an xfctor type thing then with public votes etc??? i know it will probably be that or similar pity because i think that blind audition thing works well even though i thought on at least one occasion one of the mentors pressed the buzzer at the last minute sympathetically

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Cian's silly faces that he pulls to the camera are quite annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Just watched the repeat there. Awful stuff and very poor choice of judges.

Never even heard of this Brassie chap. :confused:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

el diablo wrote: »
    Just watched the repeat there. Awful stuff and very poor choice of judges.

Never even heard of this Brassie chap. :confused:

I felt they were trying to hard have tension, Kian and Sharon trying to cause friction. Otherwise they could be good judges.

Also it is a musical version of Dragon's Den.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

They must have spent seconds writing that rubbish theme tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Again with the "four of the most influential people in the Irish and UK music scene" bullsh1t ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I thought the Girl from Black Daisy got four 'yeses' last week?

Or maybe Brian said no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bordsie

ah jaysus howaya love

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I thought Talifornia was on TV3:confused:

why are the backing tracks always so poor, sounds like a fisher price piano on drum loop

She's no Amy Winehouse thats for sure.

yeah she prob just deals drugs not do them

The b.f is getting his hole tonight:D

• Advertisement

My ears my ears:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement