Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

Love Thai Thanie in Ballincollig for Thai Food, really nice atmosphere too.

For some really good Italian food i will always choose Baccos in Ballincollig.

Evidently I fear the boundaries of the 'Collig so thats as far as I get!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

kingtut wrote: »
    Wrong - The best place is Bombay Palace on Cook St, and while a good Indian is worth travelling for there is no need to with this gem ;)
    It's funny how opinions vary! The time I ate there it was awful. And a lot of people on tripadvisor agree!
    sok2005 wrote: »
    For some really good Italian food i will always choose Baccos in Ballincollig.
    Agree! A great little Italian.
    Gabbro wrote: »
    Since it hasn't been mentioned here yet, I must bring up Augustine's, now in the Clarion Hotel for good food.
    Excellent. I second that.
    Faith wrote: »
    The first restaurant I'd like to recommend is Annie's Gastropub in Sunday's Well.

Probably my favourite place for grub in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

I went to Dashi on cook street for noodles, they do sushi as well but easily the best Chicken ramen I have ever had and the staff are really efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

kcb wrote: »
    It's funny how opinions vary! The time I ate there it was awful. And a lot of people on tripadvisor agree!

I thought Bombay Palace was nice until i had takeaway from Spice of India in Bishopstown - OH DEAR GOD! Heaven!!!!:D

[/QUOTE]

The Hardwood

Went in there once and was enough to put me off and against the place forever!!
    I usually don't mind going somewhere again and ordering something different but this place was just a dive.
    The food was bland and boring and the management and his staff of this place was very bad. Couldn't wait to finish and get out of there.

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you here! I was so looking forward to going here cos the menu looked yummy, even though i was thinking it was a little expensive but i was willing to overlook that, if the food was good. It wasn't.

They gave me RAW salmon - I kid you not. I called the waiter to send it back and he said "oh that's how we serve it" - Ah NO! Never in my experience have I been served raw salmon! My friend had the same and it was cooked perfectly! Anyway they took it back and cooked the same piece through and gave it back to me - it looked a mess!! Some of my friends had starters - one was slivers of duck with a few weeds from the garden for 10e. Crazy prices. I didn't have a starter as i was thinking i would have a dessert instead as they looked nice but after my disaster of a main course and the fact the the desserts were 8e each (yes 8e) I thought to myself, they can forget it.

Also, it was the manager who brought back the salmon to me and said "i hope this is cooked to your liking" - no apology or admission that they had way undercooked the fish.

Very unimpressed. I will NOT be going again and i can't say that about many places in Cork cos i've never had such a bad experience.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Can Anyone recommend a nice child friendly restaurant that does a decent early bird menu? thanks

Gal44 wrote: »
    Can Anyone recommend a nice child friendly restaurant that does a decent early bird menu? thanks

Clancys bar do a good deal - that's if you don't mind going to a pub but I'd imagine they wouldn't mind kids there:) Oh and I just saw there - they have a menu for children :) It's a nice relaxed place, not the usual restauranty setting. They have an early bird all week until 8pm:)

http://www.clancys-bar.com/index.php?pageID=43

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Les Gourmandise. A culinary experience but dont go if you need a big munch!
    Jacobs on the Mall
    Greenes / isaacs - only been 2/3 times but great.
    Star Anise and Greenes are very good too.
    Augustines - havent been since they moved but it was my fave for a while.
    Jacques
    Rossinis - good italian
    Ecos - stir fry 1/2 rice, 1/2 chips. Girlfriend not bothered going anywhere else.
    Boqueria - only once but was tasty,
    An Sibin Baltimore - great value lunch, nothing too fancy but veg grown on site, cheap and desserts really very very good.
    Richys Clonakilty
    Pink Elephant Kilbrittain-great for few drinks on sunny day too
    Hayes - Glandore for chicken salad and drinks in corks nicest location

Always meant to try the Ivory Tower but not sure its still open.

For fish
    Leave the city!
    O'Callaghan Walshe - Rosscarberry
    Deasys Clonakilty
    Fishy Fishy Kinsale - great chowder
    THe Poachers Inn Bandon
    Dillons in Timoleague

Prob in that order.

Pub in Union hall, cant remeber name. Fridays 5pm fish and chips for a fiver, fish literally just caught. Nice to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mobitron

Another recommendation for the Spice of India in Bishopstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 magecarinnn

top 3 for me would be:

strasbourg goose - the food is pretty good, it is 20 euro for 3courses - I still don't understand how anybody can make profit on it but w/e, it would be nice if the menu was changing bit more but I ate there about 10 times and was always happy , the price is unbeatable and the quality of food is just great.

market lane - nice place, not as cheap as strassbourg goose, maybe they have some deals but last time we paid around 80 euro for 2 of us, steak was good though

soho - bit pricey but nice environment, nice selection of food and pretty tasty

places I am avoiding:

greene's - fairly expensive (170 euro for 2 of us) and the food was average at best

Jacobs at the mall - bad service, mediocre food

cafe paradise - the food was good but in my opinion 150 euro is bit pricey considering it is vegetarian restaurant, if the price was half though it would be really nice place to go to :o)

now 1 question, is there anywhere in Cork or around any real fine dining restaurant, I don't mind spending money but if it is for quality stuff, I have yet to find one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

mobitron wrote: »
    Another recommendation for the Spice of India in Bishopstown.

been there a few times for lunch and only so so in my opinion. Perhaps they make more of an effort at dinner time.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

Hi all,

I'm taking the missus to Cork for a weekend to celebrate our anniversary and I want to book a nice place to eat on a Saturday night. We eat all sort of cuisine! Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

I intend trying this place next

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056450225

Could a mod make a sticky of a decent resturant thread?

For an anniversary I'd say maybe the French place in the Clarion hotel (name of which I cannot remember! Antoine's or something!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

kcb wrote: »
    I intend trying this place next

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056450225

Could a mod make a sticky of a decent resturant thread?

For an anniversary I'd say maybe the French place in the Clarion hotel (name of which I cannot remember! Antoine's or something!)

augustines.... i was there a few times when it was on washington st and it was great. heard good things about it in the clarion too

• Registered Users Posts: 3 goldegg

Must agree that Augustines is top class!

Check out check4table.ie ....appears to have lots of links & information on Cork restaurants.

Also, menupages.ie for reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I'd recommend www.jacquesrestaurant.ie/ if it's comfortable, white linen dining you're after. Food is really nice and they have an early bird all night mon-thur and before 7 at the weekend. our first time there a few weeks ago and it was lovely.

For something different I'd recommend the Ivory Tower. A bit more expensive but it's the best food you're gonna find!

Loire wrote: »
    I'd recommend www.jacquesrestaurant.ie/ if it's comfortable, white linen dining you're after. Food is really nice and they have an early bird all night mon-thur and before 7 at the weekend. our first time there a few weeks ago and it was lovely.

Closed Sundays though aren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Greene's in McCurtain St! (Isaac's hotel) Or Annie's Bar in Sunday's Well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Jacobs on the mall always a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

Saturday night take her somewhere special but on Sunday before ye go home go to ECO's in Douglas village for lunch and get their stir fry its to die for when i lived there its all i used to order and you wont be hungry after it i can tell ya and not expensive but do book today as it books out the whole time

Regards
    Pat Murphy Manager ECOs Douglas ha ha only joking but do go here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Have heard good things about Augustines but our favourite is La Gourmandaise in Cook Street and can never seem to get beyond it!!
    Expensive enough but it has that 'something' special for us.

http://www.d1047337.blacknight.com/lesgourmandises/?q=welcome-les-gourmandises

thatsmyboy wrote: »
    Saturday night take her somewhere special but on Sunday before ye go home go to ECO's in Douglas village for lunch and get their stir fry its to die for when i lived there its all i used to order and you wont be hungry after it i can tell ya and not expensive but do book today as it books out the whole time

Regards
    Pat Murphy Manager ECOs Douglas ha ha only joking but do go here

Eco's always raises it's ugly head in these lists! I really can't see how they are so popular!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

Cheers guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Augustine's have a Michelin star as far as I know, but for whatever reason they're not broadcasting the fact too much. And from what I've heard, La Gourmandise are their main rivals in the city.

Market Lane is a bit cheaper than both, I'd imagine, and is absolutely fantastic. I thoroughly recommend it, as do a lot of my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Jay P wrote: »
    Augustine's have a Michelin star as far as I know, but for whatever reason they're not broadcasting the fact too much. And from what I've heard, La Gourmandise are their main rivals in the city.

Market Lane is a bit cheaper than both, I'd imagine, and is absolutely fantastic. I thoroughly recommend it, as do a lot of my friends.

There are no Michelin star restaurants in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Even though it's above a pub, Il Primo in Ballinlough/Blackrock is incredible. Never ever been disappointed, and the staff there are outstanding. Love the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I'm a big fan of Continental Restaurant on Maylor Street. Kinda obsessed really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Owen wrote: »
    Even though it's above a pub, Il Primo in Ballinlough/Blackrock is incredible. Never ever been disappointed, and the staff there are outstanding. Love the place.

2nd this. I've eaten there several times and their early bird, up till 7.30 is amazing value at €25. I couldn't recommend enough.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Greene's in McCurtain St! (Isaac's hotel) Or Annie's Bar in Sunday's Well.

agree. the resturant in isaacs is top quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I visit Cork pretty regularly with work. I would agree with Greenes. One restaurant I like that is not mentioned here is Amicus http://www.amicusrestaurant.ie/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement