Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

ncmc wrote: »
    Thanks Northgirl, looks like my picky hubby might be joining us after all, so I think Orso might be out.

What are the chances of getting a table in Elbow Lane on a Saturday night? Do they take your name there and let you leave, or do you have to wait around?

If you get there after 6ish you're looking at a 90 min wait, if you get there later it could be a 2-3 hour wait, my record is calling in at 7.30, dining at 10.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Thanks Northgirl, looks like my picky hubby might be joining us after all, so I think Orso might be out.

What are the chances of getting a table in Elbow Lane on a Saturday night? Do they take your name there and let you leave, or do you have to wait around?

No worries :)

Not been to Elbow Lane yet so not sure. Have a good night!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

sozbox wrote: »
    If you get there after 6ish you're looking at a 90 min wait, if you get there later it could be a 2-3 hour wait, my record is calling in at 7.30, dining at 10.30.

That's what I feared, it will be at least 8pm before we get to town so looks like Elbow Lane could be out too.

Any suggestions for a lively spot that would also suit fussy husband? I was thinking maybe Electric?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That's what I feared, it will be at least 8pm before we get to town so looks like Elbow Lane could be out too.

Any suggestions for a lively spot that would also suit fussy husband? I was thinking maybe Electric?

What in particular is he fussy about?

pwurple wrote: »
    What in particular is he fussy about?

He won't eat fish, he wouldn't be keen on Thai, Chinese, Moroccan etc. He likes pasta, Indian, BBQ, steak, burgers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I see The Rising Tide in Glaunthane has closed down. Sad to see that. I've only eaten there once but really enjoyed it. Lovely location. Sad to see places like it and Annie's closing down. I know they'd been on Groupon and the like a lot recently which is never a good sign I think!

A shame for the area but not at all surprising going by the food I got there last 2-3 times. It had gone downhill majorly. It gave the impression of a badly run place living on former glories for a long time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I see The Rising Tide in Glaunthane has closed down. Sad to see that. I've only eaten there once but really enjoyed it. Lovely location. Sad to see places like it and Annie's closing down. I know they'd been on Groupon and the like a lot recently which is never a good sign I think!

Annie's is reopening this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The Rising Tide was mentioned in article in The Independent about great places to go while the weather is good, just the other day.

I had been half thinking of popping out..

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭walsh08

No they serve wine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Saw this on the Rising Tide facebook page :(

The Rising Tide Restaurant
    Yesterday at 10:32am ·
    It is with a very heavy, sad & emotional heart that we are announcing that the Rising Tide has closed for business.
    After over 11 years in business, we had some truly wonderful & memorable moments but unfortunately, we were able to survive during these difficult economic times.
    We would like to thank our suppliers, our truly wonderful customers & most importantly, the lifeblood of the business - our staff.
    We will sincerely miss each & every one of you.
    Thank you for sharing our journey with us.
    Sandra, Phil & Ted Murphy xxx

• Advertisement

He won't eat fish, he wouldn't be keen on Thai, Chinese, Moroccan etc. He likes pasta, Indian, BBQ, steak, burgers etc.

Probably too late, but Gallaghers might be a good spot for him.

Probably too late, but Gallaghers might be a good spot for him.

It's not til next Saturday! Will check gallaghers out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

walsh08 wrote: »
    Eat in the Strabourg Goose all the time.I would highly recommend it.The food is Amazing especially the garlic bread with cheese for starters and the dauphinoise potatoes.It's also byo!Book well in advance though.

i've never been there - dubious about a place that can serve food such as fish etc at such low prices.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭walsh08

Really?Well it's 18.50 for the 2 course menu so it's not overly cheap.The food in the Strasbourg Goose is great in my opinion.Though not a fish eater myself,they have an extensive fish menu.The steak is sublime here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Had a gorgeous Sunday lunch in the South County in Douglas - fishcakes and chips for me and roast beef dinners for the others. Apple tarts and Eton mess to round it all off, all highly recommended.

walsh08 wrote: »
    Really?Well it's 18.50 for the 2 course menu so it's not overly cheap.The food in the Strasbourg Goose is great in my opinion.Though not a fish eater myself,they have an extensive fish menu.The steak is sublime here.

i know they had/have a 3 course for 20e menu.. would question quality at that price.. cynical mayb but thats me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

whatever76 wrote: »

I was there recently, and two of us had a feast sharing 7 dishes! Very reasonable too, and when we asked for s second glass of wine she just free-poured it :-) It was a little carb heavy, if that's the kind of thing that concerns you - bread and patatas with a few dishes. But very authentic and laid back with the owner looking after all the tables. I'd go back and try some different dishes.

whatever76 wrote: »
    Yes, and highly recommend. Absolute dotes running it, love the food, very reasonable.

In other places to eat, dropped into Silly Goose there over the weekend. Menu is mainly american barfood (wings, mozzarella sticks, jalapeno poppers...) and a big drinks menu. I just had a snack and drink, some wings with a "Cork Libre". Wings were good and hot, very tasty, lips stinging. The Cork libre is a wee hoot, It's a cuba libre cocktail (rum, lime and coke) but with Tanora instead of coke, and with some stripy red and white straws and a couple of random jellys.

All very styled in there, the menu's are in cute penguin style notebooks, ceiling is a painted goose, one of the bar taps is a gooseneck. We enjoyed it anyway. mixed crowd.

Yes, and highly recommend. Absolute dotes running it, love the food, very reasonable.

In other places to eat, dropped into Silly Goose there over the weekend. Menu is mainly american barfood (wings, mozzarella sticks, jalapeno poppers...) and a big drinks menu. I just had a snack and drink, some wings with a "Cork Libre". Wings were good and hot, very tasty, lips stinging. The Cork libre is a wee hoot, It's a cuba libre cocktail (rum, lime and coke) but with Tanora instead of coke, and with some stripy red and white straws and a couple of random jellys.

All very styled in there, the menu's are in cute penguin style notebooks, ceiling is a painted goose, one of the bar taps is a gooseneck. We enjoyed it anyway. mixed crowd.

where is the silly goose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭rob316

sporina wrote: »
    where is the silly goose?

Ya know there between the dole office and the courthouse, used to be Bob Foxes

Never heard of Tanora before. Must give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭.red.

J Mysterio wrote: »

Are you for real?
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/tanora-lives-to-fizz-another-day-116092.html?_escaped_fragment_=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

You'v had a deprived upbringing in that case.:D

Though I live here, I'm not from Cork so that would probably explain it.

I read that article there which says its phasing out cans and such. Not sure where i'd get it to be honest but i'll keep an eye open. Funny about Irwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭.red.

Though I live here, I'm not from Cork so that would probably explain it.

I read that article there which says its phasing out cans and such. Not sure where i'd get it to be honest but i'll keep an eye open. Funny about Irwin.

Any dunnes, tesco and super value will have 2 litre bottles, most bigger centra shops too.
    Most shops will have the 500ml bottle tho. Treat yourself, its lovely, cold with an ice cube.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Had a great soup and sandwich in The Parlour Cafe next to Bodega recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Had a great soup and sandwich in The Parlour Cafe next to Bodega recently.

Was only in there once myself and had a lovely sandwich also - must go back. They do tapas in the evening too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Hi people,

Looking to bring my 60+ year old parents out for a bit of lunch on Saturday in the city centre - is there anywhere you'd recommend? You know the drill - my dad's fairly averse to anything that isn't a fish/steak/potato - an old fashioned lunch menu would suit him best. My mother likes to complain about restaurants - a place where the service is good and the presentation's on the ball would be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hi people,

Looking to bring my 60+ year old parents out for a bit of lunch on Saturday in the city centre - is there anywhere you'd recommend? You know the drill - my dad's fairly averse to anything that isn't a fish/steak/potato - an old fashioned lunch menu would suit him best. My mother likes to complain about restaurants - a place where the service is good and the presentation's on the ball would be ideal.

Market Lane would be my pick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement