Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

• 23-04-2009 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

NRA have this morning advertised for engineering consultancy to design medium to long term solution to the junction!

:):):)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Excellent news indeed... expect it in around 10 years. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Why did it take them so long to seek designers? I mean in fairness...it's only one of the most congested interchanges in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

they are obviously afraid it will become 'Red Cow II'

you know how they are in Cork...if Dublin has one then they must have a bigger, better, more complicated, more congested......:D:D:D:D

sorry corkonians...cheap shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Thank god.

Fully freeflow please. (And it is possible. People here have drawn up solutions)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

Are they going to work on the three awful roundabouts on the Cork SRR at the same time?

Bandon / Sarsfield roundabouts (and especially that they are light controlled with Garda backups at rush hours) are a joke on a major urban ring-road.

All I see is that they are currently awaiting financing (http://www.corkrdo.ie/n25_sarsfield_road_bandon_road_interchanges_current_stage.php), but I'm sure I remember them being put on the long finger for now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I think the flyovers have been put on ice, The Interurbans got all the cash:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Free flow is the only way to go. Eventually the Tunnel and the N8 will be all the ring road, so if say the N25S was kept at the same level as the tunnell exit you MIGHT be able to get it under the roundabout and through to the N8N. Its all about structures and supports I suppose.

Good thread with designs by Victor.

Fully grade separated ftw. Imagine eventually getting on the ring road at Ballincollig and not having to stop 'til in Dublin!

BTW: was thinking of writing a letter to the relevant TD's and councilors outlining the importance of the road over the PnR, which can be moved to a different spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

turgon wrote: »
    Fully grade separated ftw. Imagine eventually getting on the ring road at Ballincollig and not having to stop 'til in Dublin!

Apart from the 2 tolls.

It would be pretty sweet if they could make it fully free-flow, and it is possible, but not without a huge price tag.
    It will have to be done eventually though, considering the growing population of Cork and the increases in car ownership. The pressure on the junction will also be increased when the Dublin and Waterford roads have finished upgrading. Dublin-Cork will be a 2 hour journey - except if Dunkettle is congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

http://www.irishtrucker.com/news/news_detail.asp?nid=4828

A roundabout on the outskirts of Cork city is to be replaced with a dual carriageway in a bid to allow traffic move more freely, according to the local authority.

As well as the dual carriageway, a slip road will also be constructed and this will allow Dublin bound traffic to move through the junction at the Jack Lynch tunnel interchange with greater ease.

The roundabout at Dunkettle has become a scourge to motorists and hauliers in recent times and County engineer Noel O’Keefe revealed that the roundabout had to be changed.

"We are going to replace the roundabout with dual carriageway and put traffic lights on it so motorists can access and leave Glanmire.:eek::eek::eek:

Currently the existing traffic flows there are huge at peak periods. We have huge queues coming into it from the city and east Cork," Mr O’Keeffe said.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/snqleyauoj/rss2/

PLANS have been drawn up to replace the Dunkettle roundabout with signalised dual carriageway and create a new slip road which will allow Dublin-bound traffic to avoid the congested junction at the Jack Lynch Tunnel interchange.

Members of Cork County Council voted yesterday to proceed with the €10 million plan.

County engineer Noel O’Keeffe said it was necessary to replace the Dunkettle roundabout because traffic was backing up at it during peak times, to such an extent that it would soon come to a standstill.

"We are going to replace the roundabout with dual carriageway and put traffic lights on it so motorists can access and leave Glanmire. Currently the existing traffic flows there are huge at peak periods. We have huge queues coming into it from the city and east Cork," Mr O’Keeffe said.

His department took into account predicted traffic flows for 2018 and decided that it had no choice but to remove the roundabout.

"It will dramatically improve the situation there," the county engineer said.

In tandem with that the local authority have also drawn up plans to create a slip road from Dunkettle off to the M8 (Cork-Dublin road).

By doing this traffic can avoid another bottleneck at the signalised roundabout adjacent to the Jack Lynch Tunnel.

Many of those in the queue are heading north and avoiding that junction will ease gridlock considerably.
    Mr O’Keeffe said the slip road will run to the north of the Cork-Midleton railway line and close to the southern entrance to Dunkettle House.

The county engineer said that road improvements are planned for the back road into Glanmire, from the near the former Ibis Hotel towards the AIB bank.

Mr O’Keeffe said the planned project will be part funded by O’Flynn Construction.

That company’s plans to build more than 1,000 homes at Dunkettle and Ballinglanna were knocked on the head because the road infrastructure serving the proposed sites was inadequate for the volume of traffic which it would generate.

An Bord Pleanála is to conduct an oral hearing into the O’Flynn Construction plans on September 8.

The county engineer said that Compulsory Purchase Orders would have to made in order to provide for road widening in that area.

The overall plan for the new dual carriageway, slip road and upgrading of the back road into Glanmire have gone to the detailed design stage.

It is expected they will go to tender within the next six months.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/snqleyauoj/rss2/#ixzz0MYaQ2ITQ

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

WTF? :eek:

What's wrong with the Dunkettle roundabout? there's never any problems there. It's the Dunkettle interchange that is the big problem. This is going to make the situation there worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Yeah this appears to be the Glanmire roundabout, not the Dunkettle interchange. Confusing article, but it seems like they're going to lob a slip in to let traffic go from Cork to Dublin without hitting Dunkettle.

Jamups are pretty bad at the Glanmire roundabout, getting rid of it westbound will make no difference as it'll just jam at Tivoli, but alleviating the jam eastbound in the evenings should help a bit.

I don't know Chris. They said "remove the Dunkettle roundabout" a few times. That means only one thing to me. In addition, as you said the Glanmire roundabout looks destined for a nice new slip road. I'll reserve judgement until I see the specs, but any movement with regard to Dunkettle is positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Furet wrote: »
    I don't know Chris. They said "remove the Dunkettle roundabout" a few times. That means only one thing to me. In addition, as you said the Glanmire roundabout looks destined for a nice new slip road. I'll reserve judgement until I see the specs, but any movement with regard to Dunkettle is positive.

Looks like they are getting rid of the roundabout completely and replacing it with a signalised T junction with several other sliproads.

Furet wrote: »

Yeah I think they're referring to the Glanmire roundabout when they say "dunkettle roundabout". What we refer to as the Dunkettle Interchange they seem to be calling "Jack Lynch Tunnel interchange". After I eat Scampi & Chips I'll draw up a map of what I think they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

Is it this?

http://www.irelandaerialphotography.com/aerial_photos/dr_f2_8237_dunkettle_cork.html

i was hoping it was the Dunkettle interchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

FIRE wrote: »
    Is it this?

http://www.irelandaerialphotography.com/aerial_photos/dr_f2_8237_dunkettle_cork.html

i was hoping it was the Dunkettle interchange.

That's the one: it's usually called the Glanmire roundabout.

That isn't really congested at all. The problem is what's coming out of the tunnel. Tinkering with the little roundabout won't alleviate the interchange to that great an extent, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Hmmm... doesn't seem like much of a solution. Might help a little bit in the short-term but does not even come close to addressing the long term problem of the dunkettle interchange.

This bit is intriguing though:
    In tandem with that the local authority have also drawn up plans to create a slip road from Dunkettle off to the M8 (Cork-Dublin road).

I presume that's going to be a free-flow left-turning slip allowing N8 traffic from Cork to access the M8 northbound while avoiding the roundabout. That seems sensible, and shouldn't interfere with an overall plan to upgrade the junction.

Great to see the planners keeping on top of the cities gridlock problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Guys whats really stupid here is,

Not only are they avoiding the real problem by fixing some minor junction, by fixing this minor junction puts more pressure on the very junction that has the most gridlocked traffic on it.

I really really can't understand how the Irish come up with these ways of doing things.

I really just don't get it.

The metaphor I will use here is the same as.
    The tea bag are gone off. How do I make a better cup of tea, still use the ****ty teabags and just get better quality milk.

Still doesn't fix the problem of the tea tasting sh!te does it.? Same applies for what they are doing to Dunkettle.

• Advertisement

Great to see the planners keeping on top of the cities gridlock problems.

Invincible can I be hoping your being sarcastic here?:D

Pulease.

This is how I see it. Yes it will help with traffic leaving Cork in the evenings travelling towards the N25 east. You get a good jamup from the west to the Glanmire Roundabout every evening. Wont help with Dunkettle a bit though, but then Dunkettle will cost a fortune to upgrade so who knows if/when an upgrade will happen.

glanmire2.jpg

The M8 slip will help though and will have to be under motorway regulations too as its inescapable. I wonder if that even crossed their minds and how bad the signage will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

North Cork wrote: »
    the €10 million plan.

If this is the budget, then I'm afraid it's the roundabout and not the interchange that they'll be attempting to remedy.

BTW, why are they seeking a medium to long term solution? Why not just long term if they think it can be achieved within budget in the first place?

mysterious wrote: »
    Invincible can I be hoping your being sarcastic here?:D

Pulease.

I am but to be fair this project is the best one can hope far now that the public finances are down the toilet. Unlike the M20 or M18 or whatever you can't sell off to a PPP consortium who'll lob a toll on the SRR/Dunkettle to pay for upgrades. All thats left is to leave the Dunkettle upgrade project on the dark murky world of the NRAs to do list (last count on my part something like 70-90 seperate proposals awaiting a political patron).

And of course when its alleged that Senator Dan Boyle torpedoes funding for the SRR flyovers in favour of more buses in Cork, which are then promptly withdrawn, you just have to laugh really.

Using existing roundabout to make freeflow (cheaper and less land take)

newlayout-1.jpg

Free flow layout (desired)

dunkettle2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved to Infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Following on from the 'PIN notices' advertised back in April for various different design/consultancy services the NRA are now seeking further design/consultancy services for improvements to the above.........

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=NOV134977

Is it to become completely free flowing a la Red Cow or or will it be merely be a tweeking of what is already in-situ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

While I have seen a number of NRA e-tenders contract notices simply seem to die after a while, I'm thankful at least that this issue has been acknowledged by the NRA and action is being taken to plan for its correction.

It's too early to tell what their plans are for the junction. But if they really want to sort out the congestion then they're going to have to prepare for some tough engineering tasks. Left-turning free-flow slips aren't going to solve the problem in this case (they'd help, but wouldn't solve the main traffic issue which is M8-N25 Tunnel traffic).

I think TBH that the main traffic flow is N25West - TunnelSouth and TunnelNorth to N25East :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Following on from the 'PIN notices' advertised back in April for various different design/consultancy services the NRA are now seeking further design/consultancy services for improvements to the above.........

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=NOV134977

Is it to become completely free flowing a la Red Cow or or will it be merely be a tweeking of what is already in-situ?

They are looking for a motorway order according to that so the M8 will be extended?

Advertisement