Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Physical force republican groups unite to form new IRA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

A lot of hot air.

They aren't needed and that seems to annoy them more than anything.

Collective power and the peace process are the best we can and will hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Fat old loser men mostly, who want to be the big men in their areas, nothing more. Quite pathetic really.

Best of luck to the security forces in dealing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Criminal gangs rename themselves. Big deal, they still are criminals nothing has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

This is a bit like the statements these pricks make every easter about how they're going to take out security forces.

What is it 4 members of the security forces in 15 years? Alongside the butchery of 31 civi at Omagh. UVF have a better statistical record for avoiding civilian casulties like

These groups are pathetic. If they're so united and powerful why have they done nothing to "bring on the republic". If there was anything to this they'd have hit another target before making an announcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Dubhlinner wrote: »
    This is a bit like the statements these pricks make every easter about how they're going to take out security forces.

What is it 4 members of the security forces in 15 years? Alongside the butchery of 31 civi at Omagh. UVF have a better statistical record for avoiding civilian casulties like

These groups are pathetic. If they're so united and powerful why have they done nothing to "bring on the republic". If there was anything to this they'd have hit another target before making an announcement.

Its just a cover for more efficient criminal activity,..racketeering, drug dealing, armed robberies etc. People should treat them as enemies of the state. North and South.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It all comes down to funding; where will they get it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I doubt that it's a coincidence that they came back together a few days before the Olympics.

I'd nearly say that they were trolling. I'm sure the security in London has been kicked up a few notches for tonights opening ceremony :P

the_syco wrote: »
    I doubt that it's a coincidence that they came back together a few days before the Olympics.

I'd nearly say that they were trolling. I'm sure the security in London has been kicked up a few notches for tonights opening ceremony :P

aye i bet they're sh*tting themselves big time . . . not.

Just looking at the article again. It says the RIRA and RAAD have joined a coalition of independent republican groups and the CIRA have stayed independent.

no mention of that Oglaigh na hEireann crowd who were bigged up a lot about a year ago.

Most people seemed to believe there was a big RIRA-RAAD connection to begin with. Loose coalition of independents? sounds awfully vague.

I have huge time for Henry McDonald but this seems a bit of a non story tbh. Will be interesting to see if Ed Moloney comments on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Amalgimating groups makes it easier for the Gardai and Mi5 to control them. It was probably them who did it for them :pac:

There is probably a lot of truth in this comment.

The dissident groups are highly infiltrated and I would question who is really pulling their strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

British intelligence supposedly helped carry out a majority of IRA bombs including Omagh. Afterall they were infiltrated to the highest level.
    Strange that everyone is so cool with British interference in our country now compared to our grandparents. Ppl focus on the crimes of our "own" rather that the crimes of forces of the crown in Ireland. That in itself could be called disunity among the Irish ppl.
    Nobody wants a return to the "bad old days" but the continued British presence has made life miserable for many republicans in northern Ireland. Plus they have no voice now from politicians so they seek other means to put pressure on British elements of oppression.
    Why was there a 32-county vote on Good Friday when the war was only in 6 counties? The answer is they "knew" peace i.e. permanent British occupation would be voted for. Obviously people anywhere would vote for peace especially if they had not been involved in the conflict, but let the people of the 6 counties vote and the outcome is much less for peace?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Why was there a 32-county vote on Good Friday when the war was only in 6 counties? The answer is they "knew" peace i.e. permanent British occupation would be voted for. Obviously people anywhere would vote for peace especially if they had not been involved in the conflict, but let the people of the 6 counties vote and the outcome is much less for peace?!

The Yes vote in the Republic was 94%. That in the North was 71%. I'm not sure therefore that your argument holds up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Friday_Agreement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Just looking at the article again. It says the RIRA and RAAD have joined a coalition of independent republican groups and the CIRA have stayed independent.

no mention of that Oglaigh na hEireann crowd who were bigged up a lot about a year ago.

Most people seemed to believe there was a big RIRA-RAAD connection to begin with. Loose coalition of independents? sounds awfully vague.

I have huge time for Henry McDonald but this seems a bit of a non story tbh. Will be interesting to see if Ed Moloney comments on it.

The "loose coalition" are ONH.

Oh my God. You are suggesting this new group be stamped out by the two things that swelled the ranks of the PIRA and gave them their biggest ever boosts.
    There are a lot of people on here talking a lot of crap about something they know very little about.

A zero tolerance, shoot to kill, ambush them, snipe them when they appear in public in uniforms, bomb hideouts/bomb making factories from the air instead of police raid approach is absolutely what is needed.

Totally different world post 9/11 and these guys are relics of a time gone by

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

You have got to be joking - unless you happen to be a supporter of the former Offical IRA/Workers Party ?

A zero tolerance, shoot to kill, ambush them, snipe them when they appear in public in uniforms, bomb hideouts/bomb making factories from the air instead of police raid approach is absolutely what is needed.

Didn't work 1916 - 1921, didn't work 1969 - 1996. Pogroms, discrimination, internment, offical and unoffical state murders (on both sides of the border it shoudl be said) didn't work in the past, a political solution is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

The "loose coalition" are ONH.

Apparently not. Irish News is saying ONH, like CIRA, have opted out of this. So it's RIRA, linking up with RAAD (largely Derry based and already suspected of having pre-existing links with RIRA) and a handful of independent units.
    Not hugely significant to be honest. Not insignificant but I dont really think it will make them any more or less of a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I suspect (or hope) you're taking the piss when you say that.
    If you aren't, then the fact that there are still people out there who haven't (or have refused to) learn from the past 40, 100, 800 years is worrying.
    Your suggestions also make you every bit as bad as the group you are talking about.
    How does it feel to be on a moral par with those thugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,454 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We never had an I.R.A. suicide-bomber and I know we never will. These lads are not that dedicated.

You have got to be joking - unless you happen to be a supporter of the former Offical IRA/Workers Party ?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

We never had an I.R.A. suicide-bomber and I know we never will. These lads are not that dedicated.

Nope. they never did that. they just heldd someone family and made them go out with a bomb.

Getting rid of these idiots was the best thing to happen to ireland in the last 30 years. I'm just amazed that they're stupid and delusional enough to actualy try this.

• Advertisement

Ironically, the fact that they didn't use suicide attacks that it was a testimony to their efficiency - IRA: The Bombs and the Bullets: A History of Deadly Ingenuity http://www.theirishstory.com/2010/05/21/book-review-ira-the-bombs-and-the-bullets-a-history-of-deadly-ingenuity-a-r-oppenheimer/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Oh my God. You are suggesting this new group be stamped out by the two things that swelled the ranks of the PIRA and gave them their biggest ever boosts.
    There are a lot of people on here talking a lot of crap about something they know very little about.
    It only failed the last time because it was half hearted. the british still had hopes of talking with these people. If it was directed this time around with the aim of obliteration rather then neutralisation I believe it would work but bombing factories from the air and the like is ridiculous. MI5 and the PSNI should be used over the BA any time it's possible and sweeping extra security laws would be needed but the threat of a paramilitary resurgence should be sufficient to make sure these are passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Surprised there was no thread on this already, given the potential significance of it.

Significance of what? There is no significance. These groups are insignificant. The war is over, while the likes of RSF/CIRA were sitting on their arses pontificating over abstentionism and hiding from armed struggle. The PIRA were actually out fighting a war, the war is now over. A political path was offered,

For many years proceeding the first ceasefire, every Easter statement from the IRA Army Council pointed out the lack of a political alternative to the armed struggle. Then the British and Irish governments offered this alternative and here we are today.

These gombeens missed the memo, there are a laughable irrelevance. Fighting for a struggle that has already been won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I suppose by all coming together they can now fail on a grander scale than they have been doing apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Significance of what? There is no significance. These groups are insignificant. The war is over, while the likes of RSF/CIRA were sitting on their arses pontificating over abstentionism and hiding from armed struggle. The PIRA were actually out fighting a war, the war is now over. A political path was offered,

For many years proceeding the first ceasefire, every Easter statement from the IRA Army Council pointed out the lack of a political alternative to the armed struggle. Then the British and Irish governments offered this alternative and here we are today.

These gombeens missed the memo, there are a laughable irrelevance. Fighting for a struggle that has already been won.

agreed..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

tbh i would've thought a bomb more significant in announcing their arrival rather than a statement given at the side of the road and then burnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

SocSocPol wrote: »
    The only way to fight fire is with fire and the Real Politic of this situation demands that any and all coercive measure required , from internment to shoot to kill be enacted to halt these criminals now.

This is exactly what energized the once fringe element that was the PIRA. Civilians will inevitably be caught up in such patently stupid actions if the authorities were stupid enough to follow such idiotic advice.

Your attitude is disturbing and, frankly, more of a threat to peace than the people you want to exercise it upon.

"my old man always said fight fire with fire..

..that's why he was thrown out of the Fire Brigade.."

Harry Hill

Comedy gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Tell that to the families of the Omagh bombing victims, or to Constable Ronan Kerrs mother, or Constable Carrolls wife and kids, or the parents of the two soldiers butchered at Masserene Barracks, tell them that the criminal who wreaked havoc on their lives are a laughing irrelevance.

:rolleyes:

Right sorry to the forum for a silly response but could you please justify that comment? Or at least tell me what you mean by it.

Are you trying to call me a marxist-leninist because I respect a journalist who was a member of the workers party in the 80s?

I like McDonald because he offers an unbiased take on what is going on. When I read his books and articles he offers evidence and reason for his opinions.

McDonald never tries to push any communist agenda in his writings. I actually have a sneaking suspicion he's sympathetic to the SDLP.

I've seen this "McDonald's a sticky" BS before. Sinn Fein supporters don't like him because he's pointed out very convincingly that anything the IRA and Sinn Fein achieved with the GFA was on offer in the sunningdale agreement of 1974.

For some reason they see it fit to answer the points made with "sher he's a sticky"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

In the first line of his book he says "This is nothing personal", gives him away immediately in my opinion. Doesn't mean his opinions are valueless of course.

That said I like him, just don't agree with him on some things. Compared to the majority of the media he is far less biased against SF and republicans than most - thats why the new supergroup chose him I'm sure. Better than Suzanne Breen anyway.

Advertisement