Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I think it's 8am. I'm not sure, I'm just basing that on the fact that the Arts Block's doors are open before 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Does anyone know what time the reading room in the Arts block opens at tomorrow? :)

Or the library at 8.30?! I know it's not the arts block but still!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Arts block opens at 7am every day, even Christmas.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Well Clubs and Socs is all very interesting right now...

Why?!

Anyone have to get the 66 peasant wagon today?! Disaster. Lectures should of been cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Ooh what's after happening? (I think I might have an idea though)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What sort of original content percentage are you looking for when you do a plagiarism check?

Seren_ wrote: »
    Ooh what's after happening? (I think I might have an idea though)

Drama within the ranks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Drama within the ranks!

Elaborate for the uninformed!

Why?!

Anyone have to get the 66 peasant wagon today?! Disaster. Lectures should of been cancelled.

Sorry missed your post.

Most lectures were cancelled. Unfortunately mine were all in Callan building so I had as sh*t of a Friday as always...

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Elaborate for the uninformed!

I probably shouldn't say too much but some battles came out of C&S council on Monday that seem to be growing. I'll keep an eye on it and see what I can find out! :D

Sometimes I miss being a hack ;___; you don't get to hear all the silly dramas and stuff that happens otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

I probably shouldn't say too much but some battles came out of C&S council on Monday that seem to be growing. I'll keep an eye on it and see what I can find out! :D

Do you mean the email about what happened at council that says people can't speak for too long or if they're asked to stop talking twice or more, they're asked to leave? C+S council went on for way longer than it was supposed to...

TO_ARTHUR! wrote: »
    Do you mean the email about what happened at council that says people can't speak for too long or if they're asked to stop talking twice or more, they're asked to leave? C+S council went on for way longer than it was supposed to...

That's the start of it alright!

That meeting was ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I think most meetings, of any sort, in any situation, are a ridiculous waste of time.

mickstupp wrote: »
    I think most meetings, of any sort, in any situation, are a ridiculous waste of time.
    You would despise my life so :P

I despise essays. I would rather have modules that were 100% exam than have to write an essay.
    I used to have modules like that and I found them incredibly unstressful in comparison.

I despise essays. I would rather have modules that were 100% exam than have to write an essay.
    I used to have modules like that and I found them incredibly unstressful in comparison.

I wouldn't be able to handle that. As stressed as I get over essays I much prefer them. I tend to do better on them too. I can take that bit more time on them and it's nice to know that you have some of the work already done and type not relying solely on the one exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

I was walking out of Hall 2 in the Arts Block and I noticed these "Christian celibacy" gombeens. dafuq.

I got handed one directly, considering I was dressed ready to go out that night I wonder if I should take it as a hint or not ! :p

God forbid a lady would donne anything other than garb fit for a nun ! :eek:

Anyway heres the flyers for any of you who were too unlucky to get your filthy paws on them :

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Anyway heres the flyers for any of you who were too unlucky to get your filthy paws on them :
    I find both of those pieces of paper to be deeply offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

I was walking out of Hall 2 in the Arts Block and I noticed these "Christian celibacy" gombeens. dafuq.

I miss walking through the arts block every day, the bake sales, the petitions, the book sales, the free SU tea and the random pamphleteering.

Its only a short bit of corridor, but it was always a microcosm of campus life.

In terms of the celibacy people, as much as I disagree with their opinion, nobody would want to do it with them anyway.

I guess I have really let down everyone. I was always told that I was a responsible young woman.

I an currently sitting in a music lecture for the open day. I don't even do music!

I actually think their words are dangerous to a certain type of mind. Take this bit:
    The way I dress, act and speak may be a temptation to my boyfriend. I will observe modesty for his and my own protection.
    What's happening there, in my view (and some may think I'm overblowing this, but still), is that they're saying if your boyfriend finds you too attractive, due to the way you dress, then you will be at risk of rape. Therefore, for your own safety, dress like a nun, because otherwise you're asking for it. In my opinion, they're promoting the utterly stupid idea that the girl is responsible for the bloke's behaviour, by the way she dresses and acts, i.e. he has no control and is a ravenous beast who is just about on the point of raping someone so you better watch what you wear, do and say because if it happens it's your fault. And we know that there is a certain sub-group of sub-humans who really believe that, people who blame the way girls dress and act for their own disgraceful actions.

Besides that, those pamphlets are riddled with serious problems and promote some pretty disgusting stereotypes that should've stayed in the last century. I'm glad I didn't see these people on campus. Would've ruined my whole day. And I gotta say, if anyone here who knows me in real life actually holds the views on those pamphlets, don't bother speaking to me in future. You troglodytes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

I got handed one directly, considering I was dressed ready to go out that night I wonder if I should take it as a hint or not ! :p

Reading that made me angry.

To those people I say:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I find both of those pieces of paper to be deeply offensive.

How is it offensive? It's clearly written by someone with a different set of morals to most but I don't see how it is offensive.

GarIT wrote: »
    How is it offensive? It's clearly written by someone with a different set of morals to most but I don't see how it is offensive.

Seriously? Saying a girl shouldn't dress, act or speak in a way so as to tempt her boyfriend isn't offensive? What about saying that you won't be a credit to you parents if you give it up? What about saying a man is weak for having sex? What about saying you're no longer decent if you have sex?

How is this not offensive to anyone who makes the choice to have sex before marriage?

GarIT wrote: »

1. I am apparently not responsible because I have had sex? That is insulting because I world like to think that my life choices add up to more than my sexual habits

2. My choices in clothes are the 'problem'. My boyfriend doesn't want to sleep with me because he'd like to, but because I'm leading him on with the clothes I wear. That's the same line that rapists have used.

3. I am a shame to my parents? Fcuk off. I'd like to think that I mean more to them than that.

I'm definitely insulted.

EDIT: I've just read the men's pamphlet. It refers to sex as fcuking payment. PAYMENT!

EDIT: I've just read the men's pamphlet. It refers to sex as fcuking payment. PAYMENT!

I actually missed that bit. Fúcking hell.

You've got to be focking joking!! No way. Believe in what you want to believe just dont thrust your morals on to me. ;)

I really have to pass through the arts block more often. It could become my new favourite place.

EDIT: lust is a capital sin?!! Pretty sure these people would burn me at the steak if they could read my mind walking around campus. Some of that is the most backwards things I've ever read. Who was giving out that crap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

F*cking hell, these **** almost make Jugendschutz look sane!

Advertisement