Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis or Blur?

• 28-12-2011 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

You read that in Fr. Damo's voice didn't you...

Oasis or Blur? 61 votes

Oasis
    0% 0 votes
    Blur
    100% 61 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Blur x a million. Oasis were ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Oasis by far!!! :) They had plenty hits! Blur only had Country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

"Blur."
    "Wha'?!"
    "I mean Oasis. Oasis."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

KittyKat wrote: »
    Oasis by far!!! :) They had plenty hits! Blur only had Country.

blur had so much more kiddo, check out their best of

nowadays im oasis back in the day it was blur though, still completely obsessed with both bands!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Blur. They're actually interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I have always liked both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

What is this, 1996?

Graham Coxon or Noel Gallagher

Alex James or.. some dispensable bloke I think I've made my choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

Blur only had country house?

Hahahahahaa :rolleyes:

Massive fan of Blur (and Oasis)
    My personal favourite is all their later stuff not the Britpop era stuff.
    Love Out of Time, Tender and No Distance left to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

blur had so much more kiddo, check out their best of

nowadays im oasis back in the day it was blur though, still completely obsessed with both bands!

I know, i was just kidding. :D but still am an Oasis fan. :)
    franklyon wrote: »
    Blur only had country house?

Hahahahahaa :rolleyes:

Just said that for the laugh. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Pulp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,830 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Blur's career may have been more varied but none of their work beat's the first two albums by Oasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

This was the question in school where I was like "ehh...umm...." , restraining myself from saying "Both are actually pretty dull and bland, why dont you throw that other dishwater crap Pulp into the mix while you're there". I was more interested in what was going on in america a that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I never understood the 'rivalry' between Blur and Oasis. They were two totally different bands. Until the time the main 'news' story in the papers and on BBC News was that they had released singles on the same day I would never have even associated them with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Time warp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I never understood the 'rivalry' between Blur and Oasis.

It was all rubbish really, "the battle of Britpop" was fabricated by NME for the sake of embroiling Oasis and Blur fans in something that would make money for the papers.

It was probably a bit misleading because stories like this are written just for the sake of journalists having something to write about.

Oasis were not part of the Britpop scene being from Manchester, Blur were as they were from London which is where the Britpop scene was taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Who cares ??? You like what you like. Some might even like both. :eek: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Oasis for me, I am a superfan to boot. I enjoy a lot of Blur's music, I have every album they have made and there is great music on all of them. There is however, a lot of filler on Blur's albums IMO.

Something which doesn't happen on Oasis albums, again IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Damon started Britpop, moved his band's single release dates etc. but he still couldn't write a Slide Away or a Live Forever.

I was watching No Distance Left to Run last night, it really is a spectacularly good documentary.

I think Oasis' best stuff is better than Blur's best stuff, while Blur's worst stuff is far worse than Oasis' worst stuff (bar maybe Little James!). Thus, it has to be Oasis for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

blur by a long shot, but i quite liked oasis all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭HandsomeDivil

Oasis are good at what they do but they get boring and repetitive after a while imo.

Blur, on the other hand, are so diverse and offer such a broad range of music. Those who say Blur only had Country House have obviously never listened to Blur and are oblivious to the quality of music throughout their albums (haven't you heard Song 2!? :p )

I honestly believe Graham Coxon was the best guitarist of his generation bar none and Damon Albarn is a fantastic songwriter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I honestly believe Graham Coxon was the best guitarist of his generation

He is incredible... But Jonny Greenwood :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Is John Squire included in their generation?!

El Pr0n wrote: »
    He is incredible... But Jonny Greenwood :pac:

I know I know :pac:

When Coxon left Blur after 13 they couldn't replace him, Think Tank was a good album but it was a Coxon free zone and it showed. I'm not sure Greenwood's influence in Radiohead is as great, I think if he left they could replace him without too much hassle. I do listen to Blur more than Radiohead though so I may be ignorant to the full extent of Greenwood's influence.

Also, Coxon has had a pretty successful and distinguished solo career. I don't think Greenwood had done much in that regard?

Also, Coxon has had a pretty successful and distinguished solo career. I don't think Greenwood had done much in that regard?
    as a painter maybe! his solo stuff was pretty terrible and sold accordingly apart from an initial buzz solely because of his reputation

still I do think graham is an amazing guitarist just not as a sole songwriter

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭smck99

I wonder if the poll results would be any different if each artist was to include any solo projects associated with that artist.
    For example: Oasis - Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds / Liam Gallagher's Beady Eye
    Blur - Graham Coxon / Damon Albarn's Gorrilaz / The Good, the Bad and the Queen.

as a painter maybe! his solo stuff was pretty terrible and sold accordingly apart from an initial buzz solely because of his reputation

still I do think graham is an amazing guitarist just not as a sole songwriter

Pffft! Okay it didn't set the world alight but some of his solo work is pretty good! Lots of folky elements in there and some pretty awesome guitar solos:rolleyes:

Pffft! Okay it didn't set the world alight but some of his solo work is pretty good! Lots of folky elements in there and some pretty awesome guitar solos:rolleyes:

yea but he couldnt write a lyric to save his life! as far as i remember :P

yea but he couldnt write a lyric to save his life! as far as i remember :P

Nothing to see nothing to hear
    Nothing to be nothing to fear
    Nothing to prove nothing to say
    Lala la la lala la lay
    Yeah I'm foaming at the mouth
    Yeah I'm mad without a doubt
    Cos I'm really freaking out
    And I'm going out of my mind
    TV got me going blind
    And I'm really freaking out

I rest my case:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Is John Squire included in their generation?!

Ah now, you can hardly compare the likes of Oasis and Blur to the Stone Roses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

When Coxon left Blur after 13 they couldn't replace him, Think Tank was a good album but it was a Coxon free zone and it showed. I'm not sure Greenwood's influence in Radiohead is as great, I think if he left they could replace him without too much hassle. I do listen to Blur more than Radiohead though so I may be ignorant to the full extent of Greenwood's influence.

Nah, they couldn't, but then I don't think Radiohead could replace any of their members... But in Jonny's case, he plays guitar sure (and plays it very ****in' well imo), he also plays lots of piano and keyboard parts, does all the computer programming for things like 15 Step and The Gloaming, composed the string parts for songs like Climbing Up The Walls and Faust Arp, he found the samples used in Idioteque...

He's done a good bit of work as a composer, he was composer in residence to the BBC Concert Orchestra for a few years, and he's composed the sound tracks for Bodysong, There Will Be Blood, Norwegian Wood and We Need To Talk About Kevin. His music's good too, kinda up-to-date contemporary music rather than just Hollywood string arrangements.

Advertisement