Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gamsat 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cupcakemix4

Hi all, I would like to organise a gamsat study group for sitting the exam in March 2012...if anyone is
    interested please let me know as I think a study group is a better idea than going it alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

If you're near Dublin you could join our study group!
    http://www.meetup.com/GAMSAT-Study-Group-Dublin/messages/boards/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LaurC

Anyone interested in starting a gamsat study group in wexford/waterford?
    Or anyone willing to give grinds in section 3 around wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Hi just interested to find out if anyone has started or is interested in starting a GAMSAT study group in UL?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 AsanteSamuel22

LaurC wrote: »
    Anyone interested in starting a gamsat study group in wexford/waterford?
    Or anyone willing to give grinds in section 3 around wexford?

LaurC. I would be interested in a study goup in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Wings2010

Hello,

I sat the UK GAMSAT in Bristol last month for a practice run but I know I didn't put enough time into preparing for it so I'll be sitting again in Dublin next March.

Just wondering, has anyone used the Guru Method?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Billy24

Anyone interested in a GAMSAT study group in Cork city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

Billy24 wrote: »
    Anyone interested in a GAMSAT study group in Cork city?

No. Bye now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 j87

Is there anyone interested in forming/ is there already a GAMSAT study group in the Kildare area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eadaoin01

Billy24, I'd be interested in the Cork City study group

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 flipper20000

Sat the GAMSAT in sept in London, just wondering does anyone know when the results are out?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

The results are out in about three weeks- mid november!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Wings2010

Yikes 3 weeks...wishing it would hurry up but terrified at the same time! :pac: Hoping for a miracle!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Phoenix90

Hi, I'm currently in the final year of my degree and am considering going the graduate route into medicine, however I don't feel like I have enough time to prepare for the gamsat in March and maintain focus on my degree to get the necessary 2.1. I'm now contemplating taking a year out after I finish in May solely to study for the gamsat in 2013 does anyone have any thoughts on if this is an achievable task my degree inst science based btw its in Law and I only did physics and biology for leaving cert so I'd be starting back chemistry with what I can remember for junior cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Hi Guys

I'm looking for a gamsat tutor in the dublin area. Looking to meet once/twice a week. My main difficulties would be in the chemistry part of section 3 as i've done very little in my undergrad. Pay is negotiable. I would also offer a substantial bonus to any tutor provided i achieved an entry score into an irish college. Thanks

Pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Anyone registered yet? I've just registered there. What kind of workload is everyone doing right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Hi, just wondering has anyone used the Ozimed, prepgenie or Kaplan Mcat (i know not strictly relevant) practise tests in practising for the gamsat? Like are they accurate, too easy, too hard etc? Just looking for general feedback on them and how they helped your prep?

Thanks,
    Flange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Just a question. When do we find out what centre we are registered to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Jammyc wrote: »
    Just a question. When do we find out what centre we are registered to?

you only find out when you get your ticket which is two weeks before hand (if your city has more than one centre), if your city only has only had one centre in the past then usually its obvious where its gonna be held since they dont change the venues usually year on year so just find out what centre it was last year, it still isnt a sure thing though always a chance they might change it, you'll only find out for sure when you recieve the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭PeadarGalway

Hey everybody!
    I thought I'd share my story too. Just graduated from a BA (French and English) in NUIG with honors so sorted for entry purposes, just the GAMSAT to get through ;)

I have no science background bar LC Biology, with the normal JC sciences. According to the Griffith book a good A-Level knowledge of all three sciences will suffice so I've launched into a LC Chemistry book just as a general base, about half way through at the moment, and when I'm done (hopefully before the end of the month) I'm going to tackle the chemistry questions on the GAMSAT practice papers and also tap up any areas that the Griffith book mentions and are lacking in my knowledge with a Uni level chemistry book.

Plan is to hit physics for december (LC level as is stated on GAMSAT site) and then Biology revision and upscaling of detail for the exam.

I'm hoping to have my sciences pretty much solid by the end of January. (I'm in the lucky position that I am on a year out so I can devote considerable time everyday, so I think that this is doable.)

How does this sound to people? Comments? Ideas?

Plan is to focus on the other two sections closer to the exam. I'm usually good with essays under pressure so I'm not too worried about that section (yet), but I'm not going to be stupid about it, as the exam approaches I will spend enough time practicing and working under exam conditions.
    Section one looks challenging too, lots of lateral thinking. Practice, practice, practice methinks!

If anybody from Galway is looking to do a bit of group study I'd be all up for that. I'm in NUIG most days. Would be glad even to have somebody in the same position to meet for a cupán tae or lunch! Let me know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Hey everybody!
    I thought I'd share my story too. Just graduated from a BA (French and English) in NUIG with honors so sorted for entry purposes, just the GAMSAT to get through ;)

I have no science background bar LC Biology, with the normal JC sciences. According to the Griffith book a good A-Level knowledge of all three sciences will suffice so I've launched into a LC Chemistry book just as a general base, about half way through at the moment, and when I'm done (hopefully before the end of the month) I'm going to tackle the chemistry questions on the GAMSAT practice papers and also tap up any areas that the Griffith book mentions and are lacking in my knowledge with a Uni level chemistry book.

Plan is to hit physics for december (LC level as is stated on GAMSAT site) and then Biology revision and upscaling of detail for the exam.

I'm hoping to have my sciences pretty much solid by the end of January. (I'm in the lucky position that I am on a year out so I can devote considerable time everyday, so I think that this is doable.)

How does this sound to people? Comments? Ideas?

Plan is to focus on the other two sections closer to the exam. I'm usually good with essays under pressure so I'm not too worried about that section (yet), but I'm not going to be stupid about it, as the exam approaches I will spend enough time practicing and working under exam conditions.
    Section one looks challenging too, lots of lateral thinking. Practice, practice, practice methinks!

If anybody from Galway is looking to do a bit of group study I'd be all up for that. I'm in NUIG most days. Would be glad even to have somebody in the same position to meet for a cupán tae or lunch! Let me know :)

you have easily enough time to get your science chops up to scratch.

I only did 3 months of light study (read hapazard bad study) and got a 61 (which on this year's exam was 90th percentile).
    From talking to a few of the other RCSI Geps who got in on their first attempt, the general consensus is be REALLY good at essays if you're not from a science background. It's not uncommon to hear of people getting 80+ scores on the essay section (I got 79).
    I know it's only 25% of the total mark, but because of the curve marking it can completely offset a not-so-great section 3 mark.
    I completely fell apart about ten minutes into section 3 and miraculously managed to pull a 50. which is an awful score for that section but a good section one and two put me in the top 10% of people who took the test overall.
    For a reasonably bright person who did well in a humanities degree, a 70 and 80 in sections 1 and 2 really isn't too much of an impossibility (getting close enough to those targets is plausible), and should you get that type of score you can afford to only get 46/47 in section 3 and you'll end up with an overall score of over 60.

Because of the amount of people doing the gamsat with absolutely zero preparation for section 3, and the fact it's marked from a mysterious curve, you'd really have to pull off some sort of miracle to get less than 45 in section 3 with some good prep and practice (UNDER EXAM CONDITIONS - can't emphasise that enough: I thought i was great getting all the practice papers nailed while lounging around under no time constraints. On the day, 15 minutes into section 3 my brain completely collapsed).

So, to sum up,
    1. Yes, it's easily doable for you to be prepared for the gamsat in march.
    2. Really tweak your essay and argument skills to offset any potential disasters in section 3.
    3. Realise that it's not about how smart or skilled you are, it's a competition. There is no 'you have to be this smart to study medicine' line. There is a 'you have to be this much smarter than the rest of the exam takers' line. And for that reason, I wouldn't recommend a study group at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

jtsuited wrote: »
    From talking to a few of the other RCSI Geps who got in on their first attempt, the general consensus is be REALLY good at essays if you're not from a science background. It's not uncommon to hear of people getting 80+ scores on the essay section (I got 79).

Completely agree with this. I'm a 2nd year GEP in RCSI whose first degree was English & History. I got 64 following three months study on my first (and thankfully only!) attempt in UK thanks to an 87 in S2. Read the New Yorker and something like the Economist and the broadsheet Sunday papers every week. It was the single best thing that I did and very enjoyable when science was getting to me! Other than that I only had a background of C3s in the Leaving in Physics and Chem so taught myself Org Chem via the for Dummies books, read up on a bit of biology, physical chemistry and physics. I would say bother less with the finicky bits and make sure you grasp the overall concept because in the exam itself, you're going to be extremely stuck for time and need to be able to think on your feet. Practise papers and focusing on your natural strong points are the way to go. I also messed up the science section on the day 'cause I got no lunch, but my S1 and S2 got me in. I'm not going to lie, catching up on all the science stuff in first year was a manic nightmare but I did grand in everything come exam time so it can be done, and the type of science involved from the second you get through your GAMSAT successfully is very different (and much more interesting). Work hard, stick your bum in the chair and focus every day and it should pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭PeadarGalway

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it! :) Fingers crossed I'll be in the same position as you next year - I'm aiming for either UCD or RCSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

No prob, best of luck in March! It can seem incredibly daunting at this stage in the game, but if you really want it and are willing to work for it, in the majority of cases that'll see you through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

tiredcity wrote: »
    I'm not going to lie, catching up on all the science stuff in first year was a manic nightmare but I did grand in everything come exam time so it can be done, QUOTE]

amen to that.....what's particularly frustrating is finding out most of the class (because of the North Americans) have at least touched on such monstrosities as the Coag cascade in their previous studies. The staff are very understanding if you've zero science background though and constantly reassure you that you'll catch up eventually (and slowly).

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Poppo4

Hi,

Does anyone happen to know around when the GAMSAT papers are set? Just trying to get a step-up on possible themes that may come up in S2.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Roger_that

Poppo4 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone happen to know around when the GAMSAT papers are set? Just trying to get a step-up on possible themes that may come up in S2.

Its good that you're thinking ahead but the topics are usually so general and not guaranteed to be at all timely or representative of current affairs. I sat it in London in September and the essay themes were space travel and humour so it really is pot luck. I would never have expected space travel to come up as a theme. The humour one was brilliant though. It all depends on what you can draw from in your own knowledge and experience.

I'd recommend a book called 'the meaning of things' by A.C. Grayling. Its full of short essays on a whole range of themes and I found it very useful.

Also the essay writing tips in Griffith's GAMSAT guide were good for how to structure and plan. I'm sure everyone has their own way of preparing... timing is paramount also but those two sources were invaluable to me. My essays basically saved me.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Poppo4

Thanks for the book titles, will give them a look

Would space travel question not have been in relation to the US government cancelling the funding for NASA and looking at new space travel projects!?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Roger_that

Poppo4 wrote: »
    Thanks for the book titles, will give them a look

Would space travel question not have been in relation to the US government cancelling the funding for NASA and looking at new space travel projects!?

No it was more to do the the reason for space travel in the first place. The quote that I responded to was 'We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard'. It was based around the merits of space travel itself and the reason for going.

Same with the humour one... I said that humour was invented by man to help endure the suffering of everyday life. You could have also argued the contrary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 scgun500

Hi just interested to find out if anyone has started or is interested in starting a GAMSAT study group in UL?

Are you still interested in starting a GAMSAT study group in UL, I don't go to UL but I live close by.

Advertisement