Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bring back ....

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

I loved It's a Knockout! Stuart Hall and Eddie Butler were the commentators/hosts. Hall's laugh was infectious!

Always enjoyed the international version with teams from different european countries too, Jeux Sans Frontiers (spl?).

Happy days! :D

Who is eddie butler? it was eddie warring the rugby league commentator r.i.p. Great show though

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whirlwind

fade2black wrote:
    What was that game with the giant keyboard in front of a screen,.....used to be on sunday nights...I think I liked that...

The lyrics board?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whirlwind

going for gold with henry kelly. pre school afternoons after neighbours. i was a weird child i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nope, it was All Clued Up. The Lyrics board...uuuuggghhhh. :) *strangle Aonghus McNally*

Going for gold was a good show alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LilKitty

I realise this is based I assume on American versions of Game Shows but I voted for an aussie version. In other, it's Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. The aussie version stopped being made about a year or so ago and it was one of my fav Game Shows of all time. It's also one of the only versions of it(if not the only version) to never have given away the million dollars to anyone.

Also may I ask what these game shows were? To my knowledge no Australian versions of them were ever made.
    3-2-1
    The Crystal Maze
    Atari jaguar

• Advertisement

Mostly gameshows that were shown on UK and Ireland television, LilKitty. Atari Jaguar is just an in-joke with a few of the boards members who have been here a while, basically it is the 'I don't care' option in the polls.

Anyway, 3-2-1 was a show in 3 parts, first was general questions and I can't remember the other two parts. It was rather cringeworthy.

Crystal Maze is probably most popular among boardsies. This was where 6 contestants entered the maze which was divided into four zomes, Aztec, Medieval, Futuristic and Industrial — Industrial was replaced by Ocean from series 4. So in each zone, one of the team would play a few games with the object to collect as many 'crystals' as possible.

Each crystal gives you 5 seconds of time in final challenge called the Dome (see below, the team had x amount of seconds like whatever crystals they got for playing and winning games in the other zones. The object of the Dome game was to collect as many gold tokens as possible. There were silver tokens mixed in with gold and collecting a silver token would cancel out a gold one).

Crystal_maze_off1.jpg

I'll dig up some Youtube clips.

edit: Heres one, notice the hair styles. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

15 to 1 was always my favorite. It ruled. That is why I voted other. The more difficult the quiz the better.

15 to 1 was always my favorite. It ruled. That is why I voted other. The more difficult the quiz the better.

What exactly was the game show all about?:confused:

LilKitty wrote:
    What exactly was the game show all about?:confused:
    I was trying to explain it, but I think this site explains it better than I can.

Karsini wrote:
    I was trying to explain it, but I think this site explains it better than I can.

Yeah I understand it a lot more now but it's still confusing compared to some other game shows! I know the shows are not really alike but the set reminded me of "The Weakest Link" and what was the grand prize, two thousand year old pot?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Xylem

You can play Blockbusters and a couple of other retro TV quizzes here.

http://www.wedigtv.com/?aff=mirror

Brilliant find, Xylem!:)

edit: lost in the gold run on blockbusters *slams fist*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

supermarket sweep!!!!!!!

or gladiators? does that count as a gameshow???

or that one that was on channel 5, its a knockout i think it was called?

Ah Supermarket Sweep, remember watching it when I was "home sick" from school, would be on in the morning just as the bus left. :) Shame about that eejit of a host, Dale Winton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ilovemooch

Oh, I used to love supermarket sweep.
    I preferred Wheel of Fortune though. Always guessed the answers before they did.

Does anyone remember that kids gameshow called 'Funhouse'? At the very end of it after they did an obstacle course they got to race cars round a track and collect tokens off the walls.

ilovemooch wrote:
    Does anyone remember that kids gameshow called 'Funhouse'? At the very end of it after they did an obstacle course they got to race cars round a track and collect tokens off the walls.
    I sure do, the theme's burned into my head, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ilovemooch

Yeah, I'm singing it now too! I used to always want to go on that show.

ilovemooch wrote:
    I preferred Wheel of Fortune though. Always guessed the answers before they did.
    I hardly ever did but I still watched it occasionally.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

What about Quicksilver? Stop the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Karsini wrote:
    I sure do, the theme's burned into my head, lol.

Ah memories of childhood...it was on CITV

"funhouse, whole lotta fun"

This is a vague description...but does anyone remember a quiz sorta show on BBC1 or BBC2 at about 1-2pm weekdays during the mid 90's. There was something to do with Red and Green Neon Round Lights???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Washout

crystal maze for me.

the amount of times Id shout "you idiot" at the tv screen during the show was crazy.

also the krypton factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

wot about knightmare used to be on itv,it wa for kids.it was great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

did that involve an elevator and a game where you swim in a giant bowl of alphabet soup?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Did nobody mention the Krypton Factor?????????. Now that show kicked ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

How could it not be the Crystal Maze?

Advertisement