Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scones

Options
  • 04-04-2015 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've tried to make scones several times, and they never, ever turn out right. They are usually flat as pancakes, they seem to sink or something when cooking so come out of the oven flat, they're tasteless and normally "hard" on the outside and either moist or under-cooked on the inside.

I'm looking for a recipe and some tips on making scone (white fruit scones) and some advice on how to make decent, proper scones instead of the things I end up with.

I do have a food processor, with a dough hook, so would love to use that instead of doing it by hand, although I know I'll have the kneading etc to do by hand anyway.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I've only ever done them by hand, because they only require gentle mixing and gentle kneading. Overmixing makes them tough and flat.
    Here's my mum's recipe, lovely light scones.
    (Makes about 12 smallish scones)
    8 ounces plain flour
    2 ounces of fairly cold butter
    1 ounce sugar
    1 heaped tsp baking powder
    Pinch of salt
    1 egg
    Enough milk to bind
    3 ounces sultanas
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg if you like

Preheat oven to 200C.
    Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar (and nutmeg if using).
    Cut butter into small cubes and rub in to flour mixture using your fingertips or a pastry blender, til the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add sultanas.
    Make a well in the centre and add most of the beaten egg (reserving a little to glaze the tops); Mix in using a wooden spoon. Add small amounts of milk and continue mixing until a soft dough is formed.
    Knead very lightly on a very lightly floured surface; Flatten gently with your hand until the dough is about 3/4 of an inch thick (no need to use rolling pin).
    Place on lightly floured baking sheets and bake at for 10-12 minutes until well risen and pale golden brown.
    Cool on a wire rack.

These are so nice! I usually work in grams but always revert to measuring in ounces for this recipe, I don't know why but it works better...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I read somewhere that when you are cutting out the scones using a cutter, do not twist the cutter as this can make it difficult for the scones to rise.

Miaireland wrote: »
    I read somewhere that when you are cutting out the scones using a cutter, do not twist the cutter as this can make it difficult for the scones to rise.

Yes I've read that too, it makes them fall to the side!
    When I'm in a hurry I just cut the dough into triangles with a knife instead, works really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

dees recipe looks good.

Here is mine, which never fails and is similar.

450g plain flour
    3 rounded teaspoons baking powder
    25g caster sugar
    85g chilled butter
    2 eggs
    200ml milk

Rub the butter into the dry ingredients, make a well and add the beaten egg and milk to form a soft dough.
    Turn it out and gently roll it out to 2cm high. Cut the scones. Brush with egg wash, but don't let it dribble down the sides as this will stop them rising.

Bake at 210degrees for 12-15 minutes ( depends on how big they are)

If your scones are not rising, the temp might be too low or not enough baking powder.

Definitely don't use the dough hook. That will ruin them. Make sure the oven is pre-heated. You should work quickly and get them in the oven as soon as they are ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭homenotaway

Hey Striped Boxers, I'd be interested to know how you get on with this. I've made several attempts at scones both using buttermilk and bread soda/ordinary milk and baking powder, plain flour/self-raising flour all to no avail! Keep us posted:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

Dees recipe is much the same as the one except I use 8oz self raising flour and 1 tsp baking powder, I get about 7 scones from it with a medium size cutter but they are very high.

Biggest mistake everyone makes when making scones is rolling the dough too thin and expecting it to rise to really high scones. It won't happen, it will not double it's height so cut them almost the depth of the scone cutter in the first place. Don't have it too wet either or it will spread rather than rise. I have taught so many people how to make scones and without fail they roll them out like biscuits and expect a miracle rise.

I think it is best not to use a rolling pin as the temptation is to roll too much, just pat the dough flat, should be minimum of 1" high.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This is my fail-safe recipe. Best scones I've ever had. It's very similar to dee's recipe too, but just double most of the quantities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Hi all,

I've tried to make scones several times, and they never, ever turn out right. They are usually flat as pancakes, they seem to sink or something when cooking so come out of the oven flat, they're tasteless and normally "hard" on the outside and either moist or under-cooked on the inside.

I'm looking for a recipe and some tips on making scone (white fruit scones) and some advice on how to make decent, proper scones instead of the things I end up with.

I do have a food processor, with a dough hook, so would love to use that instead of doing it by hand, although I know I'll have the kneading etc to do by hand anyway.

Scones need very little kneading. You'd have it done by the time you'd have got the dough hook attached to your machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

As a new convert to baking I find the Odlums website brilliant (www.odlums.ie). Here's a video from it showing how to make scones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqoyxkxmCDA

It shows how little kneading and rolling the dough needs. There are also lots of great recipes and baking tips on it, hopefully you will find it helpful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use the Odlums site for lots of bakes too. They have a great recipe for an apple tray bake, and their swiss roll is really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Oh god yeah, I use the Odlums recipes on the backs of their 2kg flour packets. Victoria Sandwich, Carrot Cake and Chocolate Brownies are some of what I've made recently. I have cut out the recipes and stick them to the fridge or the cupboard doors.

For scones I use selfraising flour only, not plain. And I agree with the less is more method of handling. Still can't get them to my mother's standard, but oh well.

Roughly half as much margarine as flour, though I do it mostly by hand/sight and go from there...milky water for the liquid.

No time like the present, so I made a batch this evening (along with a banana bread(.

WP_20150502_22_21_27_Pro_zpsyn3tlfmk.jpg

The same issues resurfaced again. Too flat. i think I'm pressing them too flat to begin with. I'll try again and see how it goes.

The taste and texture were lovely...

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Odlums all the way. Their recipes always work for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

maryk123 wrote: »
    Odlums all the way. Their recipes always work for me.

And good to buy Irish...

Yes, cut them high to start with. Although I would consider half fat to flour a bit high, that's the normal pastry ratio rather than scones. Scones would be nice while warm but get very firm when cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

phormium wrote: »
    ... Scones would be nice while warm but get very firm when cold.
    Then you cut them in half, butter both halves and toast them... Mmmmmmm!

Yes, cut them high to start with. Although I would consider half fat to flour a bit high, that's the normal pastry ratio rather than scones. Scones would be nice while warm but get very firm when cold.

Yeah, in fact I made dee_mc's recipe in the end, imperial measurements and all. Selfraising flour instead of plain and baking powder. It's definitely flattening them too much to begin with.

Instead of 'rolling for more' I should just cut for height instead. Oh well, a good excuse to try it again. And again. And again!!!

I've tried that recipe using self raising when I ran out of baking powder - as you found, it doesn't work well. The ratio of raising agent to flour is wrong in the self raising.
    Glad you tried the recipe though :)
    It's worth persevering!

I only get 6 scones from an 8oz flour mix, better high than more flatter ones!

Yeah, phormium, I should do that too. i get greedy. In a stupid way. I want 12 scones instead of 6!

And you're right, the margarine to flour ratio is much better for pastries than scones.

"once more into the breach, dear friends..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Also, don't use the 'cheaper' flour! I've gone round on all the flour and have decided 'own brands' (from any supermarket, German, Irish!!!) are not nearly as good as Odlum or Milford. Flour is about the only thing that I won't try to save money on as it is a false economy. Buy good flour and it is well worth it in the end result

Totally agree, Odlums all the way. It's so much softer - others I've tried seem gritty by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I use the Odlums recipe all the time, but I use the flour from Lidl.

I've tried the recipe with flour from Lidl, Aldi, Tesco, Supervalue and Odlums, the best results were with the Lidl flour.

I also don't have a cutter, I use a glass to cut.

I get 6 good sized scones, and 1 smaller "chef's treat" scone from the recipe.

Also, I used to soak the fruit, the night before, but I really haven't found much difference in soaking or not soaking.

According to the girl that did the consumer affairs bit on the Today with Pat Kenny radio programme on RTE, Lidl flour comes from Odlums. I used to buy it as it was marginally cheaper but I returned to the Odlums branded stuff again.

I use a glass to cut occasionally, I just roll it around like the dying efforts of a coin that falls to the floor and collapses. And it's a whiskey glass, so it's robust.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BantryBayGirl

No matter what scone recipe you are making having a gentle hand and a gentle mix is key - I use a pizza wheel to cut into triangles rather than cut into circles. This avoids having to re-roll the scraps from the 1st cutting, which causes it to be tough.

Just a important is to always have fresh ingredients. Especially your rising agents. Baking Powder and Baking Soda should be replaced every 6-8 months so buy in small quantities. Spices and Herbs are the same, only buy very small quantities.

I buy my flour at Costco and store it in my freezer to keep it fresh and free from any bugs-insects.

Nuts are also best kept in the freezer to avoid them becoming rancid.

Tip: Always write the date you opened the package on the bottom of the container to always know how fresh the item is. - I also write a USE BY DATE: on the front of the container as a reminder to myself.

Happy Baking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

No matter what recipe I use I never get the amount I'm supposed to. I tried Mary Berrys fruit scone recipe and I'm supposed to get 14 - I got 6

Now they're not huge - they are just normal scone size

What quantity ingredients?

I heard her say on a recent programme that self raising flour was formulated for cakes and if using it for scones you needed to add extra baking powder. I always do this anyway but it might account for some people's experience with too flat scones.

What quantity ingredients?

I heard her say on a recent programme that self raising flour was formulated for cakes and if using it for scones you needed to add extra baking powder. I always do this anyway but it might account for some people's experience with too flat scones.

250g self-raising flour with 1 tsp of baking powder

As you discovered there is no way that quantity would make 14 unless they were like bite size ones, cute for afternoon tea or something but not decent sized ones. I would only get 6 or 7 from that.

• Advertisement

I got 6 - they didn't rise much, looked more like rock cakes 😢

Advertisement