Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Security on Ryanair.com still remains weak

Options
  • 20-05-2015 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.ryanair.com&s=62.134.190.251&hideResults=on

This company has the audacity to expect customers to risk their personal information – including payment card details, name, address, DoB, passport or id card number, and id expiry date, etc. to this "system".

Not to mention the fact that state agencies charged with regulating Ryanair for Irish, European and worldwide citizens – appear clueless and unconcerned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Shouldn't you be more concerned with Aer Lingus, which gets an F? Or CityJet, which gets a C? British Airways gets a B, same as Ryanair, so Ryanair seems to be doing pretty well for an airline website

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

So what exactly is it vulnerable to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

28064212 wrote: »
    Shouldn't you be more concerned with Aer Lingus, which gets an F? Or CityJet, which gets a C? British Airways gets a B, same as Ryanair, so Ryanair seems to be doing pretty well for an airline website

Thank you for pointing out the fact that the Aer Lingus gets an F.

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    So what exactly is it vulnerable to?

Scams that allow fraudsters push security levels down to low, more crackable encryption levels. Needlessly open low encryption standards.

The State has a large chunk of Aer Lingus stock, and an even larger chunk of AIB, and if this is the State's regard for computer security - it reflects on the state. It reflects on technology industry in Ireland. Poorly in both cases. Snowden spelt out many times how his ex-employer and other US gov agencies use low security back doors to make it easy for them to decrypt traffic.

bedlam wrote: »
    In the month since you last posted about Ryanair, did you bother to ask them to address your concerns with the site and if not why not?

I get the clear message that someone from Ryanair reads postings on boards.ie relating to their company.

Back in the day, there was a time when I wrote to M O Leary suggesting they set-up a website - because as a frequent flyer I could see every other airline with websites and online reservations. His practice at that time was call centre or travel agent (at a premium).

Consistent with Ryanair policy they came up with a school-child type website, to match the cabin colour sccheme in the company's aircraft - designer-less and downmarket.

While there are constraints on one's time and writing/phoning an unreachable company, as an alternative to boards.ie, I could get one of my staff to set-up an anti-Ryanair website showing the nasty side of the company, open to employees and ex-employees, etc and throw several hundred thousand hits a day at the site from other resources I have at my disposal. But I thought a mild posting in this forum might get the job done. How naive I was. Or perhaps how procrastinative Ryanair is!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Impetus wrote: »

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.ryanair.com&s=62.134.190.251&hideResults=on

This company has the audacity to expect customers to risk their personal information – including payment card details, name, address, DoB, passport or id card number, and id expiry date, etc. to this "system".

Not to mention the fact that state agencies charged with regulating Ryanair for Irish, European and worldwide citizens – appear clueless and unconcerned.

Did you report those issues to them like it was suggested you do in the last Ryanair bashing thread you started?

syklops wrote: »
    Did you report those issues to them like it was suggested you do in the last Ryanair bashing thread you started?

If so, I was also AIB bashing, and will engage in anybody else bashing who neglects their computer security in circumstances where my payment card or identity is at stake due to their negligence/incompetence. And if you think a mention in boards is my idea of bashing....

Impetus wrote: »
    If so, I was also AIB bashing, and will engage in anybody else bashing who neglects their computer security in circumstances where my payment card or identity is at stake due to their negligence/incompetence. And if you think a mention in boards is my idea of bashing....

Your thread on AIB and your thread on Ryanair are like chalk and cheese. A mention?
    Impetus wrote:
    While there are constraints on one's time and writing/phoning an unreachable company, as an alternative to boards.ie, I could get one of my staff to set-up an anti-Ryanair website showing the nasty side of the company, open to employees and ex-employees, etc and throw several hundred thousand hits a day at the site from other resources I have at my disposal. But I thought a mild posting in this forum might get the job done. How naive I was. Or perhaps how procrastinative Ryanair is!

Dude, seriously.

They were both about the same issue - not taking due care of customer information, as is required by law and good customer service etiquette. And in the case of Ryanair, the company has no right to passport information for intra-European travel (ie within Schengen), and as members of the EU the Spanish have no right to pp info of fellow Europeans, especially before the flight departs. Ryanair sends (sells to NSA?) these data - transmitting it outside of EU data control area. There is no warning on the ryanair.com website, "If you fly with us, we will sell your data to the NSA and any other terror government organization that will pay us cash".

Ireland is doing itself out of the largest tourism market in the world (the Chinese) by requiring separate visas for Chinese citizens. What is wrong with a Schengen Visa? The Chinese are the biggest tourism spenders in most countries in mainland Europe. The typical Chinese visiting Europe has stomach for the bureaucracy of applying for one Visa - ie the Schengen Visa.

Still no sign of the thread on Aer Lingus which earned an F. :rolleyes:

Im out, Im not staying on a thread with threats like the one you are making against Ryanair in it.

I also don't believe you have "staff".

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Still no sign of the thread on Aer Lingus which earned an F. :rolleyes:

Im out, Im not staying on a thread with threats like the one you are making against Ryanair in it.

I also don't believe you have "staff".

Bonsoirée

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Facebook and gmail are also rated "B"

Just sayin....

Facebook and gmail are also rated "B"

Just sayin....

I use neither services, mainly for security reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭manjosh

Which of them got an A. Because going through the list now, even top sites also go B and C. But still am not adding my credit card to facebook, twitter or gmail so i think the concern is very valid.

Advertisement