Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭superbad50

yes i would also recommend you go to see another doctor and if he cannot help you , he may be able to refer you to an expert that purely deals with this unfortunate illness. you must keep your head up. things will get better for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 tikkaman

phi3 wrote: »
    I can't stress enough how much I admire you people who manage to talk to doctors about how you feel. I hope some day I'll be able to but I can't see that ever happening.

you WILL get there, one day you will have enough of feeling like **** and that will be it, you'll go to someone....

i'm trying so hard to get things in the right direction, but with my S/A i also lack confidence in myself, negative thoughts, think i'm ugly and boring to all women,

make it really hard for me to feel like i have a bright future.... :(
    After a year of trying to meet someone i met online... we got friendly and she wanted to meet, at the last minute i canceled.... :(

freeking out as normal...

she contacted me to see could we be friends after telling me last year she wanted nothing to do with me....!!!!!!! it ended with some harsh words.... of which i was left hurting really bad yet again...

Confidence is now at nil....... i don't know how i'm gonna meet someone.. :(

as well as battling with my S/A

rant over .... :(

I can't stress enough how much I admire you people who manage to talk to doctors about how you feel. I hope some day I'll be able to but I can't see that ever happening.
    I am exactly the same. As a bid to keep myself out of St Pats as a teenager (it was 1997 and I was 16 - the stigma was too huge, it scared me) I managed to adopt an "I'm fine!" persona with doctors and shrinks. It still persists now. A few years ago I was really suffering, and I knew I needed to seek medical attention, but I also knew if I went to the doctor I'd lie about my moods, lie about how much I was drinking then, lie about my general wellbeing - so I brought my then boyfriend into the room. I told her he was there to make sure I told her the whole truth, because I was inclined to put on a happy face. I told her everything I could think of, because I had already said, what I leave out, he's going to fill in. It was at the time the only way for me to get the help I needed. Unfortunately when I saw a counsellor the same year, I was all "I'm grand!" again. So that didn't work, but at least I had the incentive to tell the doctor everyting and for the first time in my life ended up stable on medication.

Now that I'm happy with the medication I have, doing quite ok on it (as best can be expected, it's not a cure) I don't have to tell the doctors how I feel. I've changed doctor since because I moved, and just told them my history, and the medication I'm on, and that I'm happy to be on it. I have been referred to psychiatric services in my new area though, but because of the waiting list, it'll be March before my first appointment - we'll find out then if I'm any good, yet, at telling them how I really feel.

I guess probably better, since I no longer have a massive fear of being committed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

tikkaman wrote: »
    Confidence is now at nil....... i don't know how i'm gonna meet someone.. :(

I know what you mean. Like if I had someone it might help a bit. But I've been a fairly toxic person this last year. I've pretty much driven away all friends with my moods, never mind meeting someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It seems like it has been a ****ty few days for everyone. Maybe it's the weather?
    Ive been up since 2 trying to work myself out of a panic attack. Deep breaths. Deep breaths. I feel sick.

Do any of you guys go to any of the Aware meetings or other support groups? Ive gone twice, well I lie, i went to the venue twice but didnt go in. Maybe next week.

It really is great to have this thread, it's a great distraction.

I hope that you all have a great weekend. Also Tikkaman I know how you feel. Ive spent the last 14 months being obsessed with my looks. I think it's time to go back to my doctor (the question is...how do you tell someone you dont want to look like yourself)

Finally, Phi3 someday you will find the strength to go see someone. If you were in the Leinster area i'd recomment the doctor I went to. I cant say enough good stuff about him. He really is an absolute gentleman!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

I am exactly the same. As a bid to keep myself out of St Pats as a teenager (it was 1997 and I was 16 - the stigma was too huge, it scared me) I managed to adopt an "I'm fine!" persona with doctors and shrinks. It still persists now. A few years ago I was really suffering, and I knew I needed to seek medical attention, but I also knew if I went to the doctor I'd lie about my moods, lie about how much I was drinking then, lie about my general wellbeing - so I brought my then boyfriend into the room. I told her he was there to make sure I told her the whole truth, because I was inclined to put on a happy face. I told her everything I could think of, because I had already said, what I leave out, he's going to fill in. It was at the time the only way for me to get the help I needed. Unfortunately when I saw a counsellor the same year, I was all "I'm grand!" again. So that didn't work, but at least I had the incentive to tell the doctor everyting and for the first time in my life ended up stable on medication.

Now that I'm happy with the medication I have, doing quite ok on it (as best can be expected, it's not a cure) I don't have to tell the doctors how I feel. I've changed doctor since because I moved, and just told them my history, and the medication I'm on, and that I'm happy to be on it. I have been referred to psychiatric services in my new area though, but because of the waiting list, it'll be March before my first appointment - we'll find out then if I'm any good, yet, at telling them how I really feel.

I guess probably better, since I no longer have a massive fear of being committed.

did someone try and commit you in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Shazanne wrote: »
    Good God! What sort of a doctor is that? Just mark him down as a bad experience and perhaps make an appointment with another Doctor or look up the name of a Counsellor in your area and go and have a chat with them. GP's, in my opinion, are not qualified to deal with depression disorders anyway, they are just useful for a referral to a psychotherapist or a psychiatrist.
    Dont give up on getting some help just because of this bad experience. All doctors are NOT like that!:)

TBH GP's are well equiped to deal with their side of treatment, it's just that some of them may not be good at it. There can be a side of depression that therapists cannot deal with and we need good GPs to help with that. As a therapist I would be lost in some cases without medical back up, all GP's would have done a psych rotation as part of their training, true some of them forget it.

Whereas I feel GP's could do with better training in the psychological aspect of depression of other disorders, in most cases like the ones people here speak about, it is well within their remit to treat. The difficultly I see is GP's not seeing the otherv aspects of people's illnesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 cookiemixer

Hi,
    I agree with the others who are saying that you should check out another GP. that one didn't sound very helpful. A good Gp can help you get back on track. Also, I would suggest look up a psychologist. There are no laws regulating the training of people and there are some bad courses out there that poeple are taking and then saying they are qualified to treat a bunch of stuff they can't. the other thing is a counsellor usually doesn't ahve much training. A psychotherapist usually has more training like a degree course but a psysholgist has at least 6 years training. I've heard some crazy stuff from friends about therapists they have seen - think about that big scandel a couple of years back with the college in Dublin (it was on the Joe Duffy show and in the papers). they made poeple pay thousand's up front as well as some other unethical styuff. I am pretty sure this place, which used to train counsellors (scary), is now closed. Just becareful - like that not so great gp there are some not so great therapists and getting one with a solid education can hoepfully minimise getting a therapist who isn't helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Hi,
    I agree with the others who are saying that you should check out another GP. that one didn't sound very helpful. A good Gp can help you get back on track. Also, I would suggest look up a psychologist. There are no laws regulating the training of people and there are some bad courses out there that poeple are taking and then saying they are qualified to treat a bunch of stuff they can't. the other thing is a counsellor usually doesn't ahve much training. A psychotherapist usually has more training like a degree course but a psysholgist has at least 6 years training. I've heard some crazy stuff from friends about therapists they have seen - think about that big scandel a couple of years back with the college in Dublin (it was on the Joe Duffy show and in the papers). they made poeple pay thousand's up front as well as some other unethical styuff. I am pretty sure this place, which used to train counsellors (scary), is now closed. Just becareful - like that not so great gp there are some not so great therapists and getting one with a solid education can hoepfully minimise getting a therapist who isn't helpful

Yeah you right, basically anybody can call themselves a counsellor or a psychotherapist at the moment, this will change but the process is slow. The entery level for a lot of counsellors or therapists is Dip level.

That does not mean that the person will be no good, I have meant some good therapists would never went beyond that level; personally I would not refer a person to another therapist who does not have a Masters; but that is just me. Never be afaird to ask about their qualifications and more importantly their memberships of professional bodies.

Personally is all I was hearing was Dips and Certs I would be running a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Hey guys,

Having a bad day today- been doing great the last while (panic attacks down a good bit and after months of feeling like I was never gonna come out of the bad cycle things were starting to look up- have been seeing a counsellor for the last few months and that seems to be helping a bit).

Then today in work just had a bad anxiety attack all of a sudden for no apparent reason. Got up to get a glass of water and suddenly felt like i was gonna collapse and then the panic set in.

The anxiety is beginning to pass but it has put me on a real downer :(

I was just wondering how people deal with anxiety symptoms- I have real trouble distinguishing between what symptoms are just related to anxiety and what indicates that there is actually something wrong with me. I am a bad hypochondriac and have had a good few tests done and all my bloods came back normal. (tho my doctor thinks i may have asthma which doesnt really help my breathing!) yet I am still feeling unwell and really worried that there is something actually wrong with me.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences things like this? I find it difficult to distinguish between whether the panic causes the symptoms or the symptoms cause the panic if you know what i mean?

Sorry for the long rant but feels good to get it off my chest

• Advertisement

I get a particularly sh!tty symptom of anxiety - I get a really dry gagging sensation in my throat which has caused me to vomit in puking on occasion. Only thing I can do for it is to keep a bottle of water on me whenever going out of the house but that can be troublesome in many social occasions like going to a pub for example

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i made a short film this year about my experiences with anxiety / depression and some stuff from dealing panic disorder, can have a look at here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPJecgZ8EOA

or just click sig link.

I had one the other day actually first bad one ive had in a while had to stop the car few time's to get out nearly got sick in my friends car bleh just gotta keep on trucking tho cant let them stop you from getting out.
    Oh yea c dog i get that to got real bad last i droped weight to like 7 stone because it was stopping me from eating, back to normal now tho. I use to never be able to leave the house without a battle of water and a load of tissue in my pockets or id just have a massive panic attack.

Just watched your film there Lone Star. I found it to be pretty deep. Fair play :)

I was invited to a gig by a mate who's band was playing. I got as far as the car park around the corner from the pub where it was on and I just froze. Ended up going home and going to bed early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Im moving out for college soon and im terrified of what its going to be living with people its not to bad tho i know them from college like but ive never done it before so im a bit anxious about what its going to be like, some time's it would take me an hour or more to get college when i was a 15 minw walk away but this college is on the other side of dublin so i gotta move to avoid the commute. Going to look at places on tuesday witth them i hope we get a place in walking distance.

Im starting to fall into that panicy state already usally not a good sign.

I've always been a quiet enough person and took life as it came. Due to some stressfull things (work and relationships) I found myself having panic attacks, which I eventually got control over. The worst is the depression, I did see my GP who put me on a low dose of meds but I'm not a big fan of taking medication the reason why is because the majority of the time recently I am fine. What's really getting to me is I'm going along feeling fine thinking all that depression is in the past & then it will hit me out of the blue and i'm like this complete lunatic who has no control over her emotions, and who will start dwellling on the thought of suicide because I feel that low. Even though logically I know I won't. It'sgot to the point where I've been accused of being an attention seeking nut case. Which i'm not and don't want to be, I'm just sick of this rollercoaster. Does anyone else feel like this? I don't want to take medication every day for something that seems to affect me at its worse two or three days a month. And in case anyone suggests it's not pms related.

I've always been a quiet enough person and took life as it came. Due to some stressfull things (work and relationships) I found myself having panic attacks, which I eventually got control over. The worst is the depression, I did see my GP who put me on a low dose of meds but I'm not a big fan of taking medication the reason why is because the majority of the time recently I am fine. What's really getting to me is I'm going along feeling fine thinking all that depression is in the past & then it will hit me out of the blue and i'm like this complete lunatic who has no control over her emotions, and who will start dwellling on the thought of suicide because I feel that low. Even though logically I know I won't. It'sgot to the point where I've been accused of being an attention seeking nut case. Which i'm not and don't want to be, I'm just sick of this rollercoaster. Does anyone else feel like this? I don't want to take medication every day for something that seems to affect me at its worse two or three days a month. And in case anyone suggests it's not pms related.

Hey there, you sound lots like me, i've not had alot of confidence in myself this last few years due to poor friends and relationships...

i was meant to meet someone but simly couldn't for fear of thiking she'd hate me, i'd be silent, she'd judge me as ugly,

i've told a few people about my Social anxiety problems, but when i talk things over with some of them i'm an attention seeker also,

So most of the time i keep silent now... i'm currently undergoing CBT, which is hard at times and rather slow, i was hoping for a miricle cure,

keep your chin up, lifes tough,

x

Hi tikkaman thanks for your reply. I hope you don't mind me asking or if anyone else has done CBT. What is it like and how does it work? I have heard of it but it was never even an option discussed with GP, it was more like here take some tablets and see how you get on. Logically I know the reasons why I get depressed but although medication might help I dont think its the solution for me.

Hi tikkaman thanks for your reply. I hope you don't mind me asking or if anyone else has done CBT. What is it like and how does it work? I have heard of it but it was never even an option discussed with GP, it was more like here take some tablets and see how you get on. Logically I know the reasons why I get depressed but although medication might help I dont think its the solution for me.

CBT,

Challanges your thinking errors, you are given tasks to perform, As to what fearful situation you are in, and write down what your feeling and thinking, then the person talks you through the situation as it really is, without thinking errors,

i went to the doc's and first thing he said was depression, gave me a prescription for zanex and told me that was it,

A friend of the family's daughter heard that i was in a bad way, and came over, had a talk and suggested i go see a CBT therapist... as she suffered social anxiety herself really badly,

she cried when i told her i was on zanex and told me to come off them, as she got addicated, and went through a really tough time withdrawing from them,

i went for an appointment with the cbt therapist to see if i was in fact suffering from anything, and she said social anxiety, after asking me a series of questions, she ruled out, ocd, and a few others...

i always think negatively of myself, and fear how others see me, particularly females.... :(

just no real confidence in myself....

hope this helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Bah, everyone on this thread seems to be having a bad time this past while :( know how you all feel.

I'm sick of feeling down all the time. I'm sick of not wanting to do anything, and having no motivation to do the things I need to do. Have to start back at college soon and I really don't want to, don't think I'm going to be able for it at all.

I wish things would just stop and leave me alone.

:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

:(:(:([/QUOTE]

Think that sums it up for a lot of us.
    I'm so scared right now of loosing my job. Things are getting bad there. I don't know how i'd cope with going for interviews. If i did get another job it would be a whole new world of new people. That will be so hard. So yeah. Pretty freaked out. Work is so stressful at the moment. This stuff is really hard for normal people but i don't know how i'll deal with it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭everyday taxi

I'm so scared right now of loosing my job. Things are getting bad there. I don't know how i'd cope with going for interviews. If i did get another job it would be a whole new world of new people. That will be so hard. So yeah. Pretty freaked out. Work is so stressful at the moment. This stuff is really hard for normal people but i don't know how i'll deal with it at all.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like social anxiety you have? There is a lad who runs courses in Dublin for that. Google social anxiety ireland, you'll find the details. All the best. They are practically free too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Wow I didnt know so many people felt the same as me. i havent been suffering for as long as some (2 years) but Im so up and down all the time.

I have bad social anxiety. Im going to try going back to college in 2 weeks and even the thoughts of it is making me sweat with anxiety :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Bah, everyone on this thread seems to be having a bad time this past while :( know how you all feel.

I'm sick of feeling down all the time. I'm sick of not wanting to do anything, and having no motivation to do the things I need to do. Have to start back at college soon and I really don't want to, don't think I'm going to be able for it at all.

:( *hugs*

I can relate a lot to how you feel. Last summer I had absolutely no desire to do anything, and it basically amounted to three months spent in bed sleeping all day and not being able to sleep at night. I spent all summer looking forward to going back to college; within a few weeks of starting college I started wishing I was anywhere else in the world. Eventually I started falling too far behind (the sleep during the day and sleeping awake all night pattern repeating itself) to cope and that's when I finally went to my doctor to get help.

This summer, life hasn't been quite as bad. Ending up in a relationship definitely made me feel a whole lot better. :) But I still feel apathetic and down when I'm at home, and going back to college is something I'm anticipating and dreading in equal measures. It will be my final year, and I'm expecting to end up feeling down all the time again. This time though, I'm gonna get counselling if I can't cope; bottling it up for way too long did me no favours whatsoever.

I never posted in this thread before; after a wonderful day Tuesday I've been feeling pretty down today and yesterday for no reason. :( Even when depression improves some bit, I guess everyone still has their ups and downs.

Anyway, enough rambling about my boring life. :) Your Text Here, I know going back to college can be fierce intimidating. If it does get you down, go get counselling. The service is there for students for a reason, and I'm sure the people there have seen many students before going through similar problems. Hopefully going back to college won't be as bad as you make out, and even if the workload becomes hard I'm sure your collegemates will be there for help and moral support. (I know in my course anyway, everyone helps each other out with difficult problem sets and preparing for exams etc.) The one thing I found most unbearable during summer was loneliness, so being back in college among friends could make you feel a lot better.

Hope it all works out for you anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I'm so scared right now of loosing my job. Things are getting bad there. I don't know how i'd cope with going for interviews. If i did get another job it would be a whole new world of new people. That will be so hard. So yeah. Pretty freaked out. Work is so stressful at the moment. This stuff is really hard for normal people but i don't know how i'll deal with it at all.[/QUOTE]

try and look at a potential new job as a challenge on your life path. we cant stay in the same job forever for a lot of reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I am so so down. I think this is possibly the worse I've ever felt. I've been crying non stop for hours now. I have no one to talk to. I don't even have a counsellor appointment until Thursday. I could wake up tomorrow and be fine, but right now I don't even want to think about going to bed. I don't want to sleep by myself.

I need to feel better but I can't. I'm going to have to talk to my counsellor about suicidal thoughts. I don't want to.

What's on your mind buddy?

Just that I've no friends and no one to talk to . I can't work people out. I just don't know how to deal with anyone. I put way too much importance on what people think of me, especially men. I'm too desperate for people to like me, and everyone ends up not liking me.

everything is so shít, I don't have any reasons to live. If I knew how wto deal with anything I could be ok.

I can relate to what you're saying. I'm not just saying it either. I'm pretty much a disaster with all relationships. I'm afraid to go out so I'm a social pariah. I'm afraid to go back to work due to being humiliated and stressed out there.

But for me these are things I will eventually overcome. I can't leave "it" win.

Even if just beating this is something to keep you going at the moment then that's all the drive you need.

It all comes in baby steps and I know each step can be scary and hard.

Keep posting on here though, it's better to get these things off your chest and if it helps say them out loud when typing :)

• Advertisement

I don't have the energy to keep going. I'm not even getting anywhere. I just don't want to be me anymore.why do i have to be so socially retarded.

I can't even go to sleep comfortably in my bed now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement