Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storing ice overnight without a freezer?

• 13-05-2011 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

How do,
    My mates are running a little mini festival tomorrow and they need ice for it. I can get them two black bags of it for them but only tonight. The bags would be too much for any of our deep freezers so I was wondering where we could stash it tonight so it won't melt? Would keeping it in a container like a clean wheelie bin overnight help or in an empty bath? I live in dublin so any ideas about streams or lakes is out of the window.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Any large container and put some water mixed in with the ice and add some salt I think is the option I heard. You won't have nice ice cubes after but if it's just for keeping bottles/cans cold it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Cheers for that, I reckon a swift few stabs in the morning will free up most cubes. We'll try putting the black bags in salted cold water so and see how that goes, obvioulsy keeping the top of the bags out of the water, don't want salty ice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Any large container and put some water mixed in with the ice and add some salt I think is the option I heard. You won't have nice ice cubes after but if it's just for keeping bottles/cans cold it will work.

you put salt to melt the ice and lower the temperature of the water. by tomorrow, it'll just be cold water.

if you want to still have ice cubes by tomorrow, put all the ice in a big container outside in the shade. the more ice you have the better it'll keep. don't put them in water or they'll melt a lot faster.

either that or tell your mates to buy it in the supermarket on the day, it's dirt cheap.

Advertisement