Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

selling prints

• 18-03-2015 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I recently made a poster for myself and because of the positive reaction to it I'm going to see if I could possibly sell it. It would appeal to tourists in a well-known destination in Ireland.

I've contacted a number of gift shops in the area about selling it, I was just wondering though, what price roughly should I be selling it to them at? I was thinking selling an A3 for 10/12 allowing a retailer to sell it for 20. And then a big sized version for 20 (rrp 30).

Or am I way off? Ive never done anything like this before so I'm not sure so I'm only looking for advice.

Thanks

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

What are they costing you to print/package and deliver to these shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭bemak

I would be printing and delivering the A3s to shops for €7. The bigger poster would be €12 to shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

bemac, I suggest if you really want to do this, get a copy of each printed, pack it in a tube and go round to shops with your proposal. Suggest a price and see how they react.

A couple of things to remember though:

Your friends admiring a piece of your artwork does not necessarily mean it is a commercial proposition.
    One image is not going to look very impressive. You really need a portfolio of images.
    Shops will only take it on 'sale or return' so that if they get damaged, or anything happens to them you will be out of pocket, and will only have the shop owner's word for what happened.

Ya i know what you mean. I've printed off a few to see what they think. One shop is very keen, they just want to see a sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

We sell a lot of prints normally you are looking at an RRP of 2.5 the wholesale price. If a shop is buying at €20 and selling at €30 then they are making <€4.40 per print they would want to sell a hell of a lot to justify that small a margin. If you could do A3 for €8 so they could sell at €19.95 it would be quite appealing. It tends to be A4 that sell the best in my experience we have a range that sell at €10 that are very popular.

• Advertisement

jimmii wrote: »
    We sell a lot of prints normally you are looking at an RRP of 2.5 the wholesale price. If a shop is buying at €20 and selling at €30 then they are making <€4.40 per print they would want to sell a hell of a lot to justify that small a margin. If you could do A3 for €8 so they could sell at €19.95 it would be quite appealing. It tends to be A4 that sell the best in my experience we have a range that sell at €10 that are very popular.

I thought I might do an A3 to the shops for 7 (sell for 20) and 14 (sell for 40). I think for the moment I'm going to stick with A3s as the size to test people with. I'll get a bunch printed off and just go around to a few shops at home.

Thanks for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Edit: I'm better off starting a new thread.

Advertisement