Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tour Guide Training Course.

• 08-01-2014 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, just thought you all might like to know about a training course coming up for German speaking tour guides here in Ireland.

All you need is fluency in German and current residency in Ireland. The course will provide the rest of the training. Could be good way to get some seasonal work in the future.

You can go to http://www.jobcoconut.com/job/1304/Train-as-a-freelance-Tour-Guide-for-Ireland-German-Speakers to read more or to apply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

This course is closed for now folks. Mods can feel free to lock this if they spot it.

There will be another course in September and I should have a couple of months' advanced noticed this time around instead of finding out when there's only a couple of places left.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rudy Jakma

Hey JustShon,
    I never heard of you and your tour guiding course but that does not imply anything. Neither positive nor negative because I do not know.
    What I do know is that there are quite a few "cowboys" operating in the tour guiding industry here in Ireland.
    As a registered and experienced tour guide in Ireland, I can only welcome an initiative that gives new guides at least some basic knowledge.
    I myself started some years ago, I was trained by an agency because it was very difficult to get a place with a Failte Ireland run course.
    Eventually, I managed and now hold the official F.I. "badges" for Dublin and Environs as well as National.
    Acquiring the knowledge to become a good guide involves hard work and study - a lot of it !
    And it is disheartening to see many groups coming into Ireland being "guided" by a person who has never ever even set foot in this country before.
    There are also groups arriving in (large) foreign coaches with only one driver - guide.
    Not only do I suspect that the quality of the guiding must be suspect, but in my opinion a tour with only one driver-guide should be restricted to three days MAXIMUM.
    A driver, especially in a foreign country, has more than enough to do as it is: driving, looking after the coach like keeping it clean, refuelling (usually after finishing the day's tour) and getting up early, ready for the next day.
    When also, simultaneously, being in charge of the group the driver-guide will also have to look after checking-in, making sure there are no hiccups with the rooms, giving out information about venues (things to do) and he or she may also be called out of bed in the middle of the night to attend to a member of the group who is not feeling well.
    The Irish government should ensure that minimum standards are enforced for tourist guiding.
    That means that there should be professionals who train new guides here.
    Any reaction on this would be appreciated

Advertisement