Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheaper prescriptions thread [No imports discussion]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

maringo wrote: »
    Why not use Parcel Motel if An Post won't deliver? Save a lot on petrol and no travelling.

Who do you intend to have deliver it from the pharmacy to PM in the first place?

Simple fact is that they don't offer deliveries anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

maringo wrote: »
    Why not use Parcel Motel if An Post won't deliver? Save a lot on petrol and no travelling.

It's not an An Post policy; mail order of prescription medicines is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Lillian123

Health wave are fully licensed and under the Irish medicines board. This is just a bargain alert not a debate forum on generics!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭SteM

Only wrote: »
    Will they accept a prescription from the Republic?
    I tried getting some prescriptions filled in Spain / Portugal before and they would only sell me the drugs that are otc there - they said I needed a prescription from the relevant country

Yes they will. My Dad goes up to Newry on the train with his free pass once a month and the pharmacy there dispenses his prescription. He said he sees the same people on the train every month and they all do the same thing. They go straight from the train station to the pharmacy together, then go for a cup of tea while they wait for the train back to Dublin. He now saves approx 80e per month doing this.

The lady in the pharmacy in Newry told him that they get a huge amount of business from the south.

It saddens me that Irish people that have worked hard all their lives are forced into doing this to be honest. God knows what would happen is they stopped free travel to Newry!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Is Newry cheaper than Healthwave?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Soarer wrote: »
    Is Newry cheaper than Healthwave?

Not for me, but it depends on your particular products - so get prices from both and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

SteM wrote: »
    Yes they will. My Dad goes up to Newry on the train with his free pass once a month and the pharmacy there dispenses his prescription. He said he sees the same people on the train every month and they all do the same thing. They go straight from the train station to the pharmacy together, then go for a cup of tea while they wait for the train back to Dublin. He now saves approx 80e per month doing this.

The lady in the pharmacy in Newry told him that they get a huge amount of business from the south.

It saddens me that Irish people that have worked hard all their lives are forced into doing this to be honest. God knows what would happen is they stopped free travel to Newry!

I done this for a while too when I was on some medication. The monthly cost of the meds in Newry was a fifth of what it was in Dublin. Saved myself a fortune buying a 3 month prescription!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

Used healthwave.ie to get my cholesterol tablets and they were very very cheap :O) :O)
    I paid €25 plus €59.50 for 6 months supply. Compare that with ~€195 in the pharmacy for my meds so a huge saving. No queuing, no hassle. Just quick and cheap! Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

I'll add my name to the list.

I've saved more than 50 % easy using healthwave.ie. Absolutely recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭cygnet

for people on the Northside - this pharmacy has published its very good prices

http://www.dublinpeople.com/assets/graphics/publications/Northside%20People%20(East)%20March%2026th%202014.pdf

page 23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

I travelled to Newry with a script for six different items. They said GP's in the North are required to prescribe generic medicines and as mine were nearly all non-generic they could not provide. When i asked that they give me the generic they said they were unable to substitute and in the end, it really was not worth my while as only got 2 of the 6 items and only two months not six months worth. Moral of the story, we are being ripped off, GP's are not required to prescribe generics as they are in the North and save from some epileptic drugs, generics should be the order of the day. I'm off to sign to Health Wave as the North was of little use unless your on generics!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I looked into health wave but decided to chance tesco pharmacy, they were only 50c more expensive than health wave and didn't have to pay the €25 membership! (It was for a 3 month perscription)

cygnet wrote: »
    for people on the Northside - this pharmacy has published its very good prices

http://www.dublinpeople.com/assets/graphics/publications/Northside%20People%20(East)%20March%2026th%202014.pdf

page 23
    Their generic prices look very similar to Healthwave - looks like a new floor for the market has been set.
    fulhamfan wrote: »
    I travelled to Newry with a script for six different items. They said GP's in the North are required to prescribe generic medicines and as mine were nearly all non-generic they could not provide. When i asked that they give me the generic they said they were unable to substitute and in the end, it really was not worth my while as only got 2 of the 6 items and only two months not six months worth. Moral of the story, we are being ripped off, GP's are not required to prescribe generics as they are in the North and save from some epileptic drugs, generics should be the order of the day. I'm off to sign to Health Wave as the North was of little use unless your on generics!!!!!!

It depends on which specific drugs are involved. I wouldn't say that the North is of little use, or that Healthwave is best for everybody - but check out the prices before you travel, and choose the best option for you.

The Irish govt has brought in regulations about prescribing generics for the top 10 sellers, and is working on the next set of drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Wife went generic on her 6 months persc and saved €400 total so a great saving for 6 months worth. Well worth the spin to dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Are the items on the price list on the website only what's available or is that just an example of some?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

markc1184 wrote: »
    Are the items on the price list on the website only what's available or is that just an example of some?

Seems to be examples of popular drugs listed. Mine weren't listed so I contacted them and they had them for significantly cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Millem wrote: »
    I looked into health wave but decided to chance tesco pharmacy, they were only 50c more expensive than health wave and didn't have to pay the €25 membership! (It was for a 3 month perscription)

Hi, do the few Tesco pharmas in Ireland post drug prices? Im tired of being ripped off for blood pressure tablets.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Hi, do the few Tesco pharmas in Ireland post drug prices? Im tired of being ripped off for blood pressure tablets.

Did you check Healthwave? I just saved €20 per month (more than 50% of price) on my BP tablets.

Don't think so! I went to tallaght such good value

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

Your argument is the same as refusing petrol from Saudi Arabia because you prefer the fuel from Nigeria.
    I think the posters argument is the same as buying a rolex from a reputable jeweller vs buying one from a guy on the street with a suitcase. I'd steer well clear of drugs that didn't have a very clear chain to them if something goes wrong. Corps with ltd. cos. locally are different ... kinda ... you know you'll probably get sorted if theres a problem but I guess if their products started blowing up and killing people we'd find that we'd have to seek comp from the IRL Ltd co. rather than the parent co. and that's where the liabilities would end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Just got a price on one of the normal items on my prescription form healthwave.
    €129.95. €7.85 for my ibuprofen. One more item, a patent medicine, look extremely likely I would bust the €144 monthly cap. No benefit for me in any circumstance in paying €25 membership by the looks of things.
    €19.95 per 60 of my third medicine. I need 180 of these a month. Just shy of €200. Looked at UK prices too, not much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Perkins135

How does Healthwave work? Do they post it out or do you have to go to Dundrum?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭elgriff

Good in theory. Had a bad experience in there though. Waiting around for 40 mins, told about 3 times that it would be 5 more mins. Eventually left empty handed. Didn't seem overly-professionally run

Perkins135 wrote: »
    How does Healthwave work? Do they post it out or do you have to go to Dundrum?

Go to Dundrum. It is illegal to supply prescription drugs by post in Ireland.

If anyone is going to dundrum ring tesco tallaght and ask them how much it will cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

RainyDay wrote: »
    Go to Dundrum. It is illegal to supply prescription drugs by post in Ireland.

Only by An Post though. AFAIK you can get them couriered.

I didn't think so, but funnily enough, this article about Healthwave mentions a courier service;

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2014/0117/ireland/pharmacy-with-cross-border-price-matching-to-offer-national-delivery-255566.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

RainyDay wrote: »
    I didn't think so, but funnily enough, this article about Healthwave mentions a courier service;

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2014/0117/ireland/pharmacy-with-cross-border-price-matching-to-offer-national-delivery-255566.html

No, no distinction in law between An Post and couriers, i.e. equally illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

Thanks Cygnet, after my last post I read your copy of the article on the Hilltop Pharmacy in Raheny and decided to try there as its way nearer than Dundrum. Went in this morning and asked for six month supply of my meds. Short of two but offered to drop into my house on their way home and having just compared what I paid 170,28 to what I would normally pay, I'm happy out. in total I saved 165.35 so near enough 50% off. Small chemist but service and prices great plus no membership or anything like that. Can't recommend enough, maybe finally the prices of drugs in Ireland will be near as makes no difference to that of our neighbours!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

Got my prescription filled by Tesco pharmacy in the Square, Tallaght, last time I travelled to Newry for a 6 X 28 day supply cost £120.00, today for 6 X 30 day supply of same medication 125.00, used to pay €49.50 in my local pharmacy for a 28 day supply.

Got a price from Healthwave for the same medication, similar price as tesco for two items and they did not have a price for another, after adding annual fee price would be higher than Tesco

Advertisement