Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relays behind the battery

Options
  • 14-08-2013 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭

Could anyone that has the mk 6 fiesta (2002 on) know of or is there any label/sticker marked on the plastic box behind the battery to tell what the two relays that are there are for? On the car that we have there is nothing marked on it to tell me what circuits these relays operate in? Manual says dam all...:rolleyes:

I am actually trying to locate the aircon relay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

jimmyw wrote: »
    Could anyone that has the mk 6 fiesta (2002 on) know of or is there any label/sticker marked on the plastic box behind the battery to tell what the two relays that are there are for? On the car that we have there is nothing marked on it to tell me what circuits these relays operate in? Manual says dam all...:rolleyes:

I am actually trying to locate the aircon relay.

That box Can hold 4 relays depending on spec,

relay1 = Engine Coolant Heater
    relay2= Engine Coolant Heater or( If Auto -Reversing Lamp Relay AT)
    relay3=Engine Coolant Blower Motor
    relay4=Wide Open Throttle (WOT relay)

[IMG][/img]xdzh9t.jpg
    Hope This Helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Actually, your right I'd say because there is space there for them.There is only two on our one nearest to the nearside of the car, a grey one and a black one.

Would you know where the aircon relay is, or if there is even one? There is no symbol for one in the relays behind the glovebox.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

jimmyw wrote: »
    Actually, your right I'd say because there is space there for them.There is only two on our one nearest to the nearside of the car, a grey one and a black one.

Would you know where the aircon relay is, or if there is even one? There is no symbol for one in the relays behind the glovebox.

Thanks.

Hi,
    On The Diagram i put up,look at Engine Bay 2,thats the one you are asking about,it shows 2 relays which seem to be part of The A/C system relays 3 & 4

[IMG][/img]2efniag.jpg

Thanks, its still a little confusing how them two relays tie into the A/C. For instance, what has WOT got to do with it? .....How much the revs rise when the A/C is on? For instance would the compressor need a relay to activate it, or maybe it does not work that way?

There is a four wire switch on the output pipe of the condenser aswell as the switch on the drier under the headlight.If I bridge the one on the drier, the clutch does not kick in or if I run a power wire and earth direct into the compressor, it does not kick in either.I just pressed both the low pressure valve on the drier and the high pressure one the slam panel and there seems to be good pressure at both.

Yeah I know I shouldn't do this, but its just a quick thing.......:p

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

On both my cars, the aircon switches off when you put the shoe down, then comes back on once you've calmed down.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    On both my cars, the aircon switches off when you put the shoe down, then comes back on once you've calmed down.

Really?...........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

colm mcm is right one relay for the air con is called a wot relay /wide open throttle relay to switch the pump off so you dont loose power when overtakin and so on.

Right, what would the other one be for? Fan,is it did that diagram above show? Is there a seperate relay to operate the fan when the aircon is on (the fan is running with the A/C on) as opposed to the normal operation of the fan when the engine gets too hot?

I have checked for power at the compressor connector and there does not appear to be any there.I also gave power and an earth direct from the battery and into the compressor and no movement of the clutch, unless this is not the correct way to check it?

I know nine times out of ten aircon systems of any car that don't work is due to low gas, but I have my suspicions with this.Given I have just done a marathon session changing those drive belts, I am less than enthusiastic to have to remove them to check/change the compressor again if its gone :(.

Its not the original one either, it was changed a few years ago.

Advertisement