Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dental Crowns

• 12-12-2014 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marty66

Been advised I need 2 x crowns and was quoted between €600-€800 per crown in Galway. I'm willing to travel anywhere North or South, Uk and if price is right would consider Poland. Obviously local would be best for follow up treatment. Any advice fellow Boarders?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

marty66 wrote: »
    Been advised I need 2 x crowns and was quoted between €600-€800 per crown in Galway. I'm willing to travel anywhere North or South, Uk and if price is right would consider Poland. Obviously local would be best for follow up treatment. Any advice fellow Boarders?

Don't go cheap, you'd be better off with the big fillings that you have than cheap crowns….

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tooth_doc

Don't play with your health , just had a patient who had her work done in Hungary and it is all breaking apart less than 2 yrs from the date and she has no come back with the chaps who did it , and sorry to say not the first one that have seen recently , by all means go for a cheap holiday or buy some cheap electronics abroad . Go local for your health needs , things can go wrong anywhere but if something happens here you have a safety net , upto you
    marty66 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

any suggestions on where to look for a keen price in Ireland though ?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Go to your own dentist and haggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Kora Obedient Bagpipes

Depends on what level your aiming at. If your looking for top quality then maybe 1200 euro per crown is good value, if your looking at moderate quality then maybe 700 per crown is good value. If you looking at low price you will find places at 300 per unit. Dont be under any illusion that a 300 euro crown is the same as a 1200 euro crown.

Price is what you pay, value is what you get. You will look at this purchase in the mirror every day hopefully for the next 10-20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Would a €700 crown fitted by a prosthodontist give a better result than a €1200 crown fitted by a regular dentist?

Squiggle wrote: »
    Would a €700 crown fitted by a prosthodontist give a better result than a €1200 crown fitted by a regular dentist?

A bad crown is a bad crown regardless of who fits it, what it costs or where its made. A good crown the same. The average prosthodontist will fit a better crown than the average general dentist, they will cost more on average also

Again look for photographs. A good dentist will photograph their cases and have examples a plenty to show you. Not photos from a stock book, but examples of their own work.

I have found that the best work is generally not done by the lowest bidder, or the dentist with the biggest marketing or adwords budget.

Davo if you can fit a Andreas Saltzer crown for €700 your going out of business quick, unless your fitting his economy range, thats not made by him and are deeply unimpressive, my last crown from him cost €583.15 so your really only going to find that quality in the higher price brackets. In crown and bridge the lab fee throws your otherwise valid point. If I charge 400 euro in professional fees for my time to make the crown and then send it to a lab that charges me 100euro, I can charge 500 euro per crown. If I take the same 400 euro fee but send it to a lab charging 500 euro then I charge 900 euro per crown. The patient gets a much better crown but I am appearing more expensive despite making the same fee as the cheaper dentist. Now the real issue comes when somebody charges 900 euro and then fits the 100 euro crown, thats bad value. Good dentist will not fit inferior crowns, and good dentists will have a high standard of what they consider acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Agree completely with above post, look for proof of previous good quality of work. Ask to be shown examples of treatments carried out similar to what you require, a single front crown is far more difficult to match to adjacent natural teeth than restoring 6 upper front teeth where crowns can be made to match each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

A bad crown is a bad crown regardless of who fits it, what it costs or where its made. A good crown the same. The average prosthodontist will fit a better crown than the average general dentist, they will cost more on average also

Again look for photographs. A good dentist will photograph their cases and have examples a plenty to show you. Not photos from a stock book, but examples of their own work.

I have found that the best work is generally not done by the lowest bidder, or the dentist with the biggest marketing or adwords budget.

Davo if you can fit a Andreas Saltzer crown for €700 your going out of business quick, unless your fitting his economy range, thats not made by him and are deeply unimpressive, my last crown from him cost €583.15 so your really only going to find that quality in the higher price brackets. In crown and bridge the lab fee throws your otherwise valid point. If I charge 400 euro in professional fees for my time to make the crown and then send it to a lab that charges me 100euro, I can charge 500 euro per crown. If I take the same 400 euro fee but send it to a lab charging 500 euro then I charge 900 euro per crown. The patient gets a much better crown but I am appearing more expensive despite making the same fee as the cheaper dentist. Now the real issue comes when somebody charges 900 euro and then fits the 100 euro crown, thats bad value. Good dentist will not fit inferior crowns, and good dentists will have a high standard of what they consider acceptable.

I appreciate your point Fitz, the €700 was only used as a guide as it was referenced before, when using that lab, it does come with a premium price but price alone is not a guarantee of quality, the quality of the crown itself is. As you said, a bad crown is a bad crown, the issue arises when someone pays a premium expecting a good crown but gets a bad one. We both agree that looking for examples of previous good work is the best way to go.

davo10 wrote: »
    I appreciate your point Fitz, the €700 was only used as a guide as it was referenced before, when using that lab, it does come with a premium price but price alone is not a guarantee of quality, the quality of the crown itself is. As you said, a bad crown is a bad crown, the issue arises when someone pays a premium expecting a good crown but gets a bad one. We both agree that looking for examples of previous good work is the best way to go.

There you go OP. Price is one factor but better rely on
    1. Reputation.
    2. Portfolio (examples of work)
    3. Recommendation (from patients or other dentists if referral, however beware of people who recommend based solely on cheapness)
    4. Qualification - some dentist will have extra qualifications in crowns and bridge or others areas of dentistry.

If the dentist can hit a few of these criteria and falling into your price bracket then your onto a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Depends on what level your aiming at. If your looking for top quality then maybe 1200 euro per crown is good value, if your looking at moderate quality then maybe 700 per crown is good value. If you looking at low price you will find places at 300 per unit. Dont be under any illusion that a 300 euro crown is the same as a 1200 euro crown.

Price is what you pay, value is what you get. You will look at this purchase in the mirror every day hopefully for the next 10-20 years.

Add longevity to the value bit, which points to cheap crowns being a false economy in the longer run.

Ok so can anyone advise a good place to go and get a quality job done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

tricky D wrote: »
    Add longevity to the value bit, which points to cheap crowns being a false economy in the longer run.

A good crown might last twice as long but be twice as expensive . Whereas a poor crown might only last half as long but cost half as much . If you can't afford the more expensive crown at the start then you might just buy two poor crowns over the same time period .

Maybe a false economy but If you can't afford the more expensive crown then what. All comes down to what you can afford really . If everyone had enough money for expensive crowns then there would be no need for cheap crowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Agreed on the 2nd para, but the 1st has many mights and I can only speak from my own experience which that is mine have lasted disproportionally longer, much longer and that's also despite grinding.

anyone tell me a good place ? in Dublin/Kildare areas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marty66

anyone tell me a good place ? in Dublin/Kildare areas ?

** Mod edit no names please, recommendations by PM only thanks ***

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gtansey44

Due to a mix of sporting trauma (no gum shield) and grinding almost all of my teeth are chipped are cracked in some way.

I am wondering due to the relatively healthy nature of most of my teeth apart from the cracks in the enamel etc. could I opt for cosmetic crowns and if it was possible to go for fused crowns instead of singular crowns on the molars and pre molars?

Looking to get this done after Christmas

gtansey44 wrote: »
    Due to a mix of sporting trauma (no gum shield) and grinding almost all of my teeth are chipped are cracked in some way.

I am wondering due to the relatively healthy nature of most of my teeth apart from the cracks in the enamel etc. could I opt for cosmetic crowns and if it was possible to go for fused crowns instead of singular crowns on the molars and pre molars?

Looking to get this done after Christmas

The choice of crown material would be a specific clinical decision for you situation. Anything is possible. Maybe even some good quality white composite bonding might do the trick.

The choice of crown material would be a specific clinical decision for you situation. Anything is possible. Maybe even some good quality white composite bonding might do the trick.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I was wondering if there were any advantages to going for fused crowns over individual ones..? Also I have always wanted to fix a slight misalignment in my bottom front teeth so I think if I were to go for crowns, I would want to get a full mouth restoration.

I know the question cannot be answered with any certainty but would a full set of crowns cost in the region of €20,000 without any other treatments necessary?

gtansey44 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I was wondering if there were any advantages to going for fused crowns over individual ones..? Also I have always wanted to fix a slight misalignment in my bottom front teeth so I think if I were to go for crowns, I would want to get a full mouth restoration.

I know the question cannot be answered with any certainty but would a full set of crowns cost in the region of €20,000 without any other treatments necessary?

Fused crowns are not joined together, it refers to the way the white ceramic is fused to the metal substructure. Crowns joined together are called splinted and are to be avoided at all costs except where a tooth is missing (bridge). Self diagnosing a full mouth of crowns is a drastic step, You have not described the type of destruction that would require work on that scale. Certainly 20k is a handsome budget and there is little you could not get for it. You need to find a dentist that can provide you the result you are after with as little intervention as possible. This usually involves a combination of treatments, its slower but leaves you with a much healthier and better looking mouth.

• Advertisement

Fused crowns are not joined together, it refers to the way the white ceramic is fused to the metal substructure. Crowns joined together are called splinted and are to be avoided at all costs except where a tooth is missing (bridge). Self diagnosing a full mouth of crowns is a drastic step, You have not described the type of destruction that would require work on that scale. Certainly 20k is a handsome budget and there is little you could not get for it. You need to find a dentist that can provide you the result you are after with as little intervention as possible. This usually involves a combination of treatments, its slower but leaves you with a much healthier and better looking mouth.

Much appreciated,

Thank you

Advertisement