Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Almera Audio Not Working

• 29-01-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

2004 nissan almera (N16 i think)
    Audio setup consist of 3 main parts - cd/radio box at the bottom, keypad/controls mounted above that, LCD display at the top.

the car was sitting idle for 7 weeks from early december to late january. when i came back to it, it started without a glitch but the audio is non-responsive. when i press the On button for the audio, nothing happens.

i checked all fuses in the main fusebox and all fuses under the bonnett. all good. i then dismantled the unit a little. there is no fuse at the back of the cd/radio so i opened it up. there is no fuse on the inside of the unit either but all electronic components looked fine - nothing looked burnt or mouldy.

i removed the connections from the back of the cd/radio and measured 12V supply with the key removed from the ignition and measured 12V on a different cable switching when the key was put to the On position.

The keypad/controls also control the heating in the car and this is working fine. there is no mention of codes or radio secure or anything like that.

any ideas????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paultronix

if you have +12v constant and +12v ignition at the connector then you must have an internal fault in the unit,possibly a bad solder joint on the main pcb,probably caused by the car being laid up through the cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smaktardis

its not a very old car and there was no dampness in it. my buddy did spot a bug (insect) on the pcb but i thought nothing of it.

i cant imagine a bit of cold weather would cause the thing to go bust. the radio/cd unit has been in a nice warm cozy atmosphere for a day while i was taking it apart but that made no effect on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bren11

Hi,
    Is this the integrated stereo, that shares screen with heater controls. If so its made by clarion. They offer repair service or may be able to advise. Contact details are in this link. Cheaper than main dealers. Dont be tempted to buy secondhand as this is coded to NATS.

http://www.clarion-service.co.uk/cs/Home.html

thanks bren. ye, its all integrated. i rang clarion and they said that it was an unusual situation.

i can send it over via An Post (maybe €25) and they will have a look at it. minimum fixing fee is about €75 and would average at about €100 (incl. VAT, incl. P&P).

i have narrowed it down to being a power problem. the eject button normally works even when there is no key in the ignition. this does not work now. i have the circuit board removed and it looks clean as a whistle. Flummoxed!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

Eventhough the radio/cd does not work for you, do you have the 24 hour clock showing on the display.
    I have repaired many of these units . Usually when they act up you will have on the display the word SECURE. This word secure can be displayed in 3 different colours. Depending on what colour is shown. this tells in what area the fault lies.
    If there is nothing displayed on your lcd I ssuggest you look for a blown fuse located in engine bay fuse board.
    Let me know how you get on.

• Advertisement

Thanks iamthemanwork.

Yes, the LCD displays the 24hr clock (and the heating controls which are displayed on the LCD are still displayed and functioning 100%)

Secure is not written on the LCD. There are no engine warning lights or anything like that. (you mention 3 different colour possibilities but i think my display is monochrome- amber with a black background)

There are no blown fuses in the main fusebox or in the fuse box in the engine bay. When i remove the 'Audio' fuse, the LCD goes blank and when i put the fuse back it displays fine again.

i'd be grateful for any enlightment.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

This system is generally reliable, is it possible you have missed something simple? The "on" button is the large volume knob but the "off" button is a small separarte button beside it. Are both of them working freely?

The weakest link in the system is the remote switch on the steering wheel (because of the constant movement). I would work all the switches and jiggle all the wires to see if any of them have an effect.

ye wheelnut, i was hoping that it was something simple. the on button and off button appear normal/unobstructed when pressed. i opened this part of the controls also but it looked healthy. i cannot test their functionality fully because the signals from the controls are transferred over the nissan bus rather than via straight forward wiring.

1 - pressed the on button - not working.
    2 - pressed the eject button - not working
    3 - checked the fuses and swapped positions with similar rated fuses - not working
    4 - removed the cd/radio unit and checked for fuse - no fuse on the unit
    5 - removed the connector from back of unit - 12V present
    6 - opened the cd/radio unit and checked for damage - no fuse present. all parts look healthy.

i should also mention that when i turn on the car lights, the illumination of the LEDs on the audio unit works fine.

With the ignition turned on you should have 2 x 12volt supplies going to the radio. If both supplies are present , remove all leads from the radio. Leave them off for maybe 5 mins. Turn ignition on and then reconnect the leads. You should hear the cd mechanism reset itself. If no reset happens then the micro is faulty and your radio is uneconomical to repair.
    If you are any way near Galway and you get a second hand one from a breakers yard I will prog it to suit your car.

thanks for the offer iamthemanwork. good to know the options if all fails.

i do have 2x12volt supplies when ignition is turned on. you say CD should reset when plugged in - will this happen even when the unit is off or even if the last used function was the radio and not the CD.

• Advertisement

Once you re connect the 2 or 3 leads to the back of the radio/cd unit you should hear the mechanics of the cd mechanism making noise--- motor running--- for a couple of seconds.
    If this does not happen then I would say you need to look for a similar unit from a breakers yard.

i tried this and yes the motor ran for a couple of seconds and the CD ejected. that was it though. no more life after that. tried to turn it on, load a CD, plug in, plug out but no joy. short and sweet. at least i got the CD back!

i'm bringing it to a electronics repair man on monday so i will let you know what comes of it all.

Who will be looking at the radio for you.
    These radios can be got from a breakers yard for approx 50 euro. To program it to suit your car is usually another 15 euro.

finally got my act together and got a second hand unit. not bad at €40.

plugged it in and CD mechanics whizzed. 'Please Wait' appeared on screen, followed by 'Secure', as expected.

i'll try get the code off nissan today to unlock it.

i was quoted €50 to get it programmed to the car by somebody else.

i'm based in cork. any other places around that might beat that price?

This is NOT a coded radio, it does not work on a 4 digit code. It has to be programmed to suit you car. I do this regularly in my workshop. PM me if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paramount Cars

iamthemanwork - i have an issue with this unit on an almera i have. It all operates fine on the heating controls, and the radio controls. Now sometimes the radio will come on and you can hear it and othertimes it wont. When it dont work the radio is also very very crackly - Any ideas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

iamthemanwork, could I also ask you about this radio issue.

I have a Nissan Primera (P12) 2006 with a similar radio issue.
    nissan-primera-6.jpg

Half the time it works, half the time the radio is dead with the green secure across the screen.
    My solution has been to reboot the ignition while driving, a couple of restarts normally gets it working.
    Drives the missus mad so I'm wondering if there is a more concrete solution.

Thanks

when i lose the sound on the radio side of things, all the buttons and features continue to work fine and no Secure or anything like that. Did wonder if the steering wheel control could be causing problem if broken wire but then still i get sound if i put cd in, which makes me wonder where the fault lies

I have repaired many of these radios and have never found the stalk controls to be at fault. I still think yours may be one or more of your speakers at fault. I have replaced speakers in these Almeras at least 20 times.

how do u kno if its a faulty speaker connection?

i have unplugged the radio control panel. so will need to reconnect it n take from there, but how would you approach it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I have repaired many of these radios and have never found the stalk controls to be at fault. I still think yours may be one or more of your speakers at fault. I have replaced speakers in these Almeras at least 20 times.

@iamthemanwork

Left you a PM. I have a problem with the radio in my 04 Almera - no sound basically. Could definitely make it to Loughrea to diagnose/fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 snowman45

Hi
    I have just bought a 2005 Nissan Almera SVE the radio is not working it shows SECURE on the screen I went to the main Nissan dealer and they told me that they can retrieve the code for me but I will be unable to enter it as the radio is locked and there is nothing they can do.the radio is the one with the air conditioning integrated into the radio controls can anyone tell me How i can get the radio unlocked so it will ask for the Radio code. ??

snowman45 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have just bought a 2005 Nissan Almera SVE the radio is not working it shows SECURE on the screen I went to the main Nissan dealer and they told me that they can retrieve the code for me but I will be unable to enter it as the radio is locked and there is nothing they can do.the radio is the one with the air conditioning integrated into the radio controls can anyone tell me How i can get the radio unlocked so it will ask for the Radio code. ??

You do not have a coded radio. The reason SECURE is showing on display is because the radio currently fitted is NOT the original one fitted from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

You do not have a coded radio. The reason SECURE is showing on display is because the radio currently fitted is NOT the original one fitted from day one.

This is because each radio was individually matched to the immobiliser..

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DougPeterson

Does anyone have a solid fix for this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 John7610

Can anyone recommend where I can get these radios coded?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you need a radio code you can posts here
    If you have other radio questions post here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement