Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Low Fat Recipes

Options
  • 04-11-2004 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Anybody got any great low fat recipes they'd like to post?? I'm on a mission to lose a few pounds before xmas!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 flygirl

Try www.weightwatchers.co.uk
    There's an archive of recipes posted by members and there are literally hundreds there. Even if you're not doing WW it's still useful as all the recipes are low in fat.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

There's nothing wrong with fat.

You'd be better off trying to cut down on sugar, booze, white bread and processed foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Two easy ways to make a meal better for you:

1. Instead of jars of sauces, prepackaged mixes etc, use fresh herbs/veg and water. Chopped tinned tomatoes and water can make a great bolognese. A bit of curry powder, and water can make a great curry.

2. Measure out your portions of carbs. Most people's problem when they cook is that they eat too much rice, pasta or noodles. Seriously, weigh them out. You should not be eating more than 100g (dry) of any of them in a meal. You'd be surprised how much that is, and how much more you were eating before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

this isn't so much a recipe as just a good way to shed a few pounds.
    instead of making sandwiches with bread if you just put the filling in either a tortilla wrap, or a pitta pocket. i did this all summer and i lost nearly half a stone.
    i still use as much mayonnaise etc as i did on sambos, so it's got all the taste.
    no bread is teh win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

what about brown bread and wholemeal pasta ?im trying to loose a bit of weight too , so instead of white bread and pasta i changed to them.
    hey seamus thanx for the water tomatoes idea i was dreading eating the pasta without sauce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There's nothing wrong with fat.

Best advice ever. Like the poster said, avoid sugary and overly-processed foods. Those low-fat youghurts for instance can be a joke, no fat, but 20g of sugar. White flour that's been so refined, that they have to add the vitamins back in.

Check out a thing called the glycaemic (sic) index (or GI) of foods. It's a very sensible way to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The GI is pretty good but it's not perfect. For example all vegetables are good, even though some of them have bad GI ratings. Generally use the rule "green=best, brown=good, white=bad". Less carbs are best for losing weight, but it can mess up your brain's serotonin stores, so I go for high-fibre carbs. When it comes to potatoes, I leave the skin on them, use sweet potatoes if I can get them, and sometimes fry them in oil to further reduce the G.I. (the oil may add calories, but at least I'm not starving afterwards so I end up eating less long term).
    what about brown bread and wholemeal pasta ?im trying to loose a bit of weight too , so instead of white bread and pasta i changed to them.

Good idea :) Oh and Uncle Ben's wholemeal rice is SO delicious btw, it's WAY nicer than white rice.

Don't take fat out of your foods, though preferably try to replace saturated fat with unsaturated fat. If you deprive yourself of those EFAs, you'll suffer ill health, and your body will try to cling to whatever fat stores it has already. You'll also be hungry all the time, and you'll probably end up binging, undoing all your hard work.

I heard Hellman's were coming out with a new mayonaise made with unsaturated fat, instead of saturated. Can't wait for that :)

Advertisement