Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Campervan Parked in Dublin City Housing Estate

Options
  • 04-03-2015 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭

.. for months on end. It has been moved, up and down the street, and goes off for a few days here and there but it's back yet again.

This is a small road, terraced houses. It's on the opposite side of the street so not directly in front of a house.
    Does not belong to a resident here.

It is taxed.

I tried to talk to him but no one there, the thing is left there during the days with a steering lock on. It is being used though as it gets moved regularly, I guess someone comes back at night or some time but I haven't seen the owner in person.

Is there anything I can do about this thing? I don't mind people parking where they legally can in most scenarios but this yoke is an eyesore and at this stage the owner is taking the piss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

nm wrote: »
    .. for months on end. It has been moved, up and down the street, and goes off for a few days here and there but it's back yet again.

This is a small road, terraced houses. It's on the opposite side of the street so not directly in front of a house.

It is taxed.

I tried to talk to him but no one there, the thing is left there during the days with a steering lock on. It is being used though as it gets moved regularly, I guess someone comes back at night or some time but I haven't seen the owner in person.

Is there anything I can do about this thing? I don't mind people parking where they legally can in most scenarios but this yoke is an eyesore and at this stage the owner is taking the piss.

It's a motor vehicle and so long as it is parked in a manner compliant with any parking regulations it is entitled to be park there.
    You say it's 'a yoke and a bit of an eyesore' but it could be worse, it could be a battered old mini-bus, a cattle truck or any of the other types of vehicle you might not like to have parked across from your home.

For a minute there I thought you were complaining about me! :D
    'cept I don't use a steering lock and I generally don't return to the same spot for 2 weeks.
    You can leave a note under the wiper about how upset you are to have to look at it. Maybe recommend a respray to a less offensive colour or some such.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

For a minute there I thought you were complaining about me! :D
    'cept I don't use a steering lock and I generally don't return to the same spot for 2 weeks.
    You can leave a note under the wiper about how upset you are to have to look at it. Maybe recommend a respray to a less offensive colour or some such.

Camaflague perhaps:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

niloc1951 wrote: »
    It's a motor vehicle and so long as it is parked in a manner compliant with any parking regulations it is entitled to be park there.
    You say it's 'a yoke and a bit of an eyesore' but it could be worse, it could be a battered old mini-bus, a cattle truck or any of the other types of vehicle you might not like to have parked across from your home.

I would like to see you say that if it was outside your house.

Edit. Just to expand a little Niloc. If you offered the explanation above to Mrs Niloc as to why an eyesore was acceptable to be left outside your house, I would expect there to be a Niloc shaped imprint on a frying pan very shortly after!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Field east

*Kol* wrote: »
    I would like to see you say that if it was outside your house.
    I am aware of the exact same situation in Dublin. Maybe it is the same one. The owner is from another country working in dublin and living with his wife and , I think three kids inq a rented house. He could park outside his own accomodation but , I assume, it is not always free. I note that he then parks it in discrete places eg by a long wall.
    It's a pity that we cannot be a bit more tolerant of society and individuals actions - obviously in the context of no law being broken and nobody being significantly discomposed.
    Is it not wonderful to see somebody enjoying a few days off every so often in their campervan/ motorhome and all the better if it is a young family.

People can be very protective of 'their turf'.
    The OP could have a genuine grevience if , for example, the vehicle is badly parked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Is this the one in clontarf by any chance? The old battered camper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Field east wrote: »
    I am aware of the exact same situation in Dublin. Maybe it is the same one. The owner is from another country working in dublin and living with his wife and , I think three kids inq a rented house. He could park outside his own accomodation but , I assume, it is not always free. I note that he then parks it in discrete places eg by a long wall.
    It's a pity that we cannot be a bit more tolerant of society and individuals actions - obviously in the context of no law being broken and nobody being significantly discomposed.
    Is it not wonderful to see somebody enjoying a few days off every so often in their campervan/ motorhome and all the better if it is a young family.

People can be very protective of 'their turf'.
    The OP could have a genuine grevience if , for example, the vehicle is badly parked.

It's all very well being tolerant. The fact is nobody would like an eyesore in their view regardless of how legally parked it is or how wonderful it is for people to enjoy a few days away. It's not a huge issue but I can understand that the OP would be sick of looking at it.

I quite often get sick of looking at urbanity.a_stir_it_smiley.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Immaculata

While it must be a bit irritating to have something parked on the street near your house that you consider an eyesore, the campervan owner is within his or her rights. Residential roads in housing estates are still public roads to the best of my knowledge. From what you say, the owner is having the consideration to not park in the exact same spot all the time.

So I would suggest you ignore it. If you won't ignore it, I would suggest that although you find it difficult to meet the owner in person, persist until you do, or write a letter, stick it in a plastic bag, and tuck it under the wiper. Either way, suggest politely to him or her that he or she move to another place as you find their vehicle an eyesore. You could also mention that as it might be in the owner's own best interest to do so, as a vehicle observed to be parked for long periods unattended is relatively easy pickings for thieves. He or she might be choosing your street to avoid thieves, so this might encourage him or her to choose someplace that is else. :)

Apart from diplomatic persuasion, you could join or set up a residents' association and eventually work towards having the streets in your estate marked with double yellow lines, and/or the entrances to the whole estate gated. If you want to go that far.

nm wrote: »

It is taxed.

Any possibility of a photo of this eyesore being posted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Any possibility of a photo of this eyesore being posted?

Here's a picture with the owner:

184ad101-eeb2-bc20-378a-35487bcb135f_BB_rv-and-scenic_004-2802.jpg

stevire wrote: »
    Here's a picture with the owner:

184ad101-eeb2-bc20-378a-35487bcb135f_BB_rv-and-scenic_004-2802.jpg

What exactly is wrong with this parked vehicle? I do not recognise what part of Dublin is it parked in. The only problem with the contents is that the vehicle has n number plate. The owner is your typical campervan/ motorhome owner - enjoying his freedom and living on the wild side.
    I fail to see how this vehicle or it's owner - maybe the fairer sex might have a different opinion-would constitute an eyesore. The vehicle could do with a bit of a wash. What car does not need a wash from time to time.

I wonder if there is a hidden agenda here by the OP , eg an envious and jealous
    OP when you look at how much the owner is enjoying himself

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Apart from diplomatic persuasion, you could join or set up a residents' association and eventually work towards having the streets in your estate marked with double yellow lines, and/or the entrances to the whole estate gated. If you want to go that far.[/QUOTE]

I would urge the OP to go for the double yellow option.
    Then nobody can park on "your" road without being ticketed. Residents included.

Ah just buy the road altogether, least then you own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

What exactly is wrong with this parked vehicle? I do not recognise what part of Dublin is it parked in. The only problem with the contents is that the vehicle has n number plate. The owner is your typical campervan/ motorhome owner - enjoying his freedom and living on the wild side.
    I fail to see how this vehicle or it's owner - maybe the fairer sex might have a different opinion-would constitute an eyesore. The vehicle could do with a bit of a wash. What car does not need a wash from time to time.

I wonder if there is a hidden agenda here by the OP , eg an envious and jealous
    OP when you look at how much the owner is enjoying himself

I hope you're taking the p1ss? That's a scene from a tv series isn't it? Breaking Bad?

Field East isn't the OP Aidan. ;)
    Yes I believe there's a wee bit of urine on being extracted as the thread progresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Talk about wrong forum this thread is a bit like walking into a cop shop and asking how to shop a cop.

BkdbNHLIEAAr2tc.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I'd forgotten about this thread so sorry for late replies!
    Is this the one in clontarf by any chance? The old battered camper?

Negative, it's south city centre.
    Immaculata wrote: »
    So I would suggest you ignore it. If you won't ignore it, I would suggest that although you find it difficult to meet the owner in person, persist until you do, or write a letter, stick it in a plastic bag, and tuck it under the wiper.

Ah it's not that bad, I was not looking to 'take action' if its all above board, which it seems it is, just pondering as if it was illegal.. then I would within my rights as well.. it's annoying. If he can park it there then he can park it there I guess.

This guy is not "enjoying a few days off" at all, that's the whole point. He lives in it seemingly fulltime and lives in it on a small public road of terraced houses in an urban area. It takes up loads of parking space and is brutal looking out at it day in day out.
    Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I would urge the OP to go for the double yellow option.
    Then nobody can park on "your" road without being ticketed. Residents included.

Disc parking would be more suitable, and obviously residents would receive a residents permit. I'd rather not have that situation either at all, but a huge campervan taking the piss by moving in is exactly the kind of thing that would warrant it.

--

Anywho - the thing is gone now, maybe he was a boards reader? :cool:

If you're out there - sorry for complaining and thanks for moving on to another street.

Fairly commonly accepted rule of stealth camping is not to overstay, I'd have thought, to prevent exactly this situation. I'd rarely do more than a night in the same stand.
    I've had the police call around plenty when I was at it...they never had a problem with me other than being nosey. I learned the best trick to deal with them is reverse psychology, any time I see them now I pop out, over to their vehicle and ask them what they are doing here....confuses the bejaysus outtov them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ah just buy the road altogether, least then you own it.

If it's a housing estate then it may already be the case that he and his neighbours already own it - for older estates, the plots may include the roadup to the midway point. For a newer development, it may be vested in an OMC. Irrespective, the issue is who maintains it - if the council has taken it in charge and is maintaining it then it is a "public road" and residents have no greater say as to who parks there even if they have legal ownership. If, however, it is not maintained by the council then non residents will likely have no rights whatsoever. That being said, the actual rights holder may not be in a position to evict them.

I know, Marcusm. Not my first rodeo ;)
    Believe it or not I was being serious...well kinda...

Advertisement