Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LG 32LN540V - Tuning

• 26-04-2014 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭

I have an LG 32LN540V 32" LED TV with which I'm very happy....except for one thing: to change from the satellite tuner to the antenna/terrestrial tuner takes forever.

Does anybody know if there's a quick way to change from the satellite tuner to the antenna tuner without going through the full rigmarole which at the moment is as follows:

Settings > Setup > Programme Mode > Antenna (all accompanied by clicks on the arrow buttons and the OK button), a minimum of 9 clicks.....

I'd have thought that this could be managed by a change to the firmware but I've downloaded the latest firmware upgrade (dated 25/4/14) but I don't see any relevant changes.

All help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Pressing the INPUT button on the top row should give you a screen where you can select the tuners or any of the available inputs and sources on the set.
    I have an older LG model than yours, but this allows us to change between DTV - Terrestrial - USB etc. Your set also has a favourites feature where you can configure favourite channels lists, maybe that might help you ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Hi Ken,
    'fraid not. If you're tuned to a satellite channel, pressing the Input button will just give a choice between Satellite, HDMI1, USB etc etc
    If you're tuned to a terrestrial channel, pressing it will give a choice between Antenna, HDMI1, USB etc etc

Setting up favourites only allows one to select favourites within the input already selected....so favourites when watching a satellite channel are only satellite channels favourites, favourites when watching a terrestrial channel are only terrestrial channel favourites.

I've also noticed that changes to the channel numbers (allocating BBC1 to 1, BBC2 to 2 etc) don't "stick". I think a call to LG customer service is called for......

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭youwhoglue

Hi exaisle,

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a similar LG TV. Did you find an easier way to switch between Sat and Antenna?

If you pressed INPUT and switched to say, HDMI 1, did both Satellite and Antenna options become available if you pressed INPUT again?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I have the 42LN and cant find an easier way, Its really a weak point in the design.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭youwhoglue

I have the 42LN and cant find an easier way, Its really a weak point in the design.

Sounds like it but I went to the LG customer service online chat facility to see what they'd say:
    wrote:
    LG Support: Good morning you are through to Andy. Following this chat there is a short survey that will allow you to rate the service I have provided. We appreciate all feedback given. How can I help you today?

Me: Hi Andy, I have a query about the 42LN570V

LG Support: How can I help?

Me: It takes a while to switch between the Antenna and Satellite tuners. What is the quickest way? Why can't just the INPUT button be used?
    Currently it is: Settings > Setup > Programme Mode > Antenna
    Surely the best way would be through the INPUT button

LG Support: The tuner in the TV is intended for antenna more than satellite. There is no quicker way of doing it unfortunately.

Me: Can it be changed with a Firmware update?

LG Support: No, unfortunately not

Me: Why not?

LG Support: Because although the TV has a satellite port, the tuner and set up is intended for an antenna signal

Me: So even though the TV has a satellite port and a built in decoder it would be better if I installed a separate decoder through a HDMI port and used it?

LG Support: yes

Me: Why have a satellite input at all? Seems pointless

LG Support we market the same chassis overseas, where a satellite tuner is installed as they receive their free to air service via satellite (europe for example)

Me: Ok thanks

The TV will be for my parents. Don't want it to be needlessly fiddly or have too many remotes just to get RTE.

Any other 40 to 42 inch TV around the €500 mark with Satellite tuner built in? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 erictogher

If you press the "List" button. then "Programme Mode" (Red button) allow you in a bit quicker but not ideal. Got a "Walker" TV and it is easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Do all LG Tv's come with a sat tuner or is it only the v spec.

there are two models on the powercity website which are saorview and satellite but they end in U LG32ln540u and LG32lb550u. Then i decided to have a look at the richer sounds website and they have the LG32lb550u in stock and after contacting them they informed me that that model has no sat input!

To confuse things even more i called into harvey norman in cork they had a LG32lb550v in stock had a look at the back sat input present but when i checked their website it was listed as LG32lb550u

By the way the LG32lb550v is not listed on the LG website! Overall the LG specification manuals are pretty poor as well
    very confusing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Tombs

Yeah, the LG website, under tech. specs. for latest models, now just has "yes" beside RF-in, whereas previously it would have listed the no. of inputs & even what they were for at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi All,

Is there any firmware update to allow quick changing from antenna to satellite?

Can't believe its so convoluted, tried setting up favourites, but there's different favourites for the antenna and satellite.

Could easily be fixed in firmware, speaking of someone who writes firmware, very poor from lg.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭peking97

I agree. The fastest way of switching seems to be *LIST> Red Button > SAT or ANT > OK* but it's still rather cumbersome. I wouldn't hold out much hope of a firmware change to make it simpler. There have been several F/W updates since I got my LG 32LB580V and no sign of any change to this aspect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Paddy_Whack

Why, oh why didn't I check in here before I purchased this LG 32LF580V TV for my elderly mother!
    I THOUGHT I had given it a good "Once over" in the Shop, comparing it to a Sony that was €50 dearer. I reckoned it was a little easier for my mother to record programmes than the Sony. How wrong I was on that score!
    Also, like a number of you, one would need a considerable amount of know-how to switch sources from Antenna to and from Satellite. Its just crazy! What the Hell, I've got an Aldi Sat Receiver thats at least 10 years old that has a single button that switches from one to the other with ease.
    Having purchased the TV for the Record plus the Free to Air Satellite tuner functions, I now discover that BOTH features are, to say the least, troublesome.
    One needs to be on Antenna to receive Irish Channels, ie RTE, TV3 etc, while a complex key sequence is required to switch to Sat for BBC, ITV etc. Its Nuts!
    Whats equally Nuts, is this daft HDD Record function -
    Capacity must be Over 40GB - Why?
    Only Fixed HDD's - Why?
    I have tried a number of Fixed HDD's and none will allow the required Format in order to allow Recording. (Linux, Ubuntu, Odd .extension to flie etc.........)
    I have both Sony and Samsung TV's myself, all will work with any sort of USB drive you like, even down to 2GB.
    I have been back to the Shop to initially ask how the Sat function works. (I had to do a Factory reset and select the Satellite Option when running an automatic Tuning at set-up before the 13Volts O/P was turned on to power the LNB.)
    I am getting very close to putting it back in the box and returning it, though I doubt I will get very far with this.
    In regard to the LG Manuals and Information, all I can say is that its nothing short of a Joke, and a bad joke at that!
    I read the response from LG Support above. As a Guy that works every day with Firmware and Electronic systems, I cannot see why the Tuner selection cannot be incorporated onto a single key stroke. Its probably only a few lines of code.
    The picture quality is excellent, but everything else is a disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

My dad has the Sony and it's so so much easier to switch sat and antenna as it's one button on the remote. My LG is still horrible in this regard. If you can, return it for the Sony.

Advertisement