Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

swim, bike, run ... it'l be fun!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Forget sharks... you'd want to see the sea lions! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Wrapped up the year with CK and Blacksod. Both great races that I really enjoyed. I planned to go to CK and swim/bike, then see how my foot felt on the run.. it had continued to feel a bit painful in the run up to the race, as a niggle rather than an injury. I had it taped up on the day and it felt ok, but was sore after the race. I'd been off running until race day to avoid agrivating it. Pretty much did the same in the run up to Blacksod a few weeks later, trained in the pool and cycling but kept off running.. did the race, and was sore again the next day. Finally gave in and went to get it looked at, had my calf and plantar battered by a PT... but saw no real improvement. On to physio who's had me off running since and doing a load of strength work instead. Tried to get me back on a cross trainer a few weeks ago but the pain came back the next day.

It's killing me not to be running at the moment... I had so much envy cheering at the dublin marathon last week. Of all the exercises the physio has me doing I now hate push ups the most.. plain old push ups... push ups on a medball.. push ups rotating onto your side and raising a leg into an advanced side plank... push ups on dumbells rotating into a T... push ups with your feet on a swiss ball... all evil exercises. If I had any courage I'd of singed up for the forum challenge and used my newfound knowledge to set a torturous 15min session for someone :D

Still, in the grand scheme of things it could be worse.. I can still cycle and swim, and I'd wanted to have a go at some strength+conditioning for a while anyway. The S&C work has added a nice bit of variety into the usual week which has kept training fun lately!

MWT Fixed me after months of not being able to run. It happened just in time to stop me from calling a halt to this years planned adventure:

Im getting some training done, but not the epic sessions of other years. I'll have the right run distance done just in the nick of time for the race, and I'm still keeping an eye on the bike cutoff times. This seemed like a great idea a year ago when I signed up!

Current status: getting over a minor manflu.

8 weeks.

:eek:

Miserable 5.5hr brick session today; been running OK lately, but that was just messy and slow. 7 weeks to go (I count weeks as over after the long brick is done).

• Advertisement

Are you running completely pain free now?

Are you running completely pain free now?

Pretty much. Have to do a bit of maintenance work to keep it that way. MTW is a legend, one visit and he told me what was wrong and how to sort it.

Got my first blister in ages today... stupid really, haven't been sorting calluses as they appear. You forget all these things when you dont go running. Time for surgery :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

kingQuez wrote: »
    MTW is a legend, one visit and he told me what was wrong and how to sort it.

He sure is, currently dealing with a long standing neck injury (van crash i think) which i never knew i had. He knows how to hurt you but in a good way and fixes you.

Solid weekend of cycling, better training that I've pulled off before. I think the improved weather had something to do with it. Running is up over 2hrs now too, which im thankful for. Swimming not going so well, don't think I've disimproved but inconsistency of training in the pool the last month is obvious.. no improvements, and obvious mess of technique. Need to get some long sessions in with more than 2k main sets now in the next few weeks.

Training for an ironman, but dreaming of a mile

Long training week. 3 more big weekends and then I think its taper time.

If the evil electronic monitoring device says I used 4k calories on todays training, does that mean I can eat one of these?

worlds-largest-gummy-worm-stats.jpg

• Advertisement

There are so many innuendos that could be linked to that picture....

There are so many innuendos that could be linked to that picture....

I knew you wouldnt be able to resist :D

I didn't do enough work to justify something less prone to innuendo though. Like this..

worlds-largest-gummy-bear-calories-3.jpg

Endurance eating. It's a new sport. of sorts.

Not a great weekend of cycling given we're only a few weeks out from taper time, good spin on saturday but sunday's was only just over 100k in 4h45.. managed 1700m of climbing but it was stupidly windy, had to abandon an attempt at sally gap when I realized it was just a stupid place to be. 10k run off the bike was grand. Long run this week was grand too, nothing amazing. Swimming is pants, not going to have any OW sessions done before heading over there at this rate.. given the mad mass start and that it's a sea swim I think I might have to sit back and accept I wont be taking a swim PB if it means it sets me up for a better overall race. I dont think after a winter in the pool I'll take well to getting battered at the start. Both bikes currently in need of mechanical fixing/servicing, but have limited time to sort it out.

Uncharacteristically negative there KQ...can't be that bad. Weren't you in Lanza recently? No OW swimming over there?

Crikey, I just re-read that and it does sound a bit negative doesn't it? I didn't mean for it to come across that bad; with just two more weeks till taper I'm starting to worry though. Long run tomorrow before work, I'm hoping met.ie is wrong :D

Long run landed me out at the south wall past sandymount today. Good practice for the run in lanza, I got pelted in a sandstorm. Met a few photographers who were out to take photos of the crazy weather at the start of the pier and they egged me on to run out to the lighthouse because they needed something to take a photo of.... feck that, the wind was insane and the waves were crashing into and breaking over the wall. Another training session thwarted by the wind. That was my sorta run, but I pulled something in my calf so had a very slow plod for the second half of the run and have an ice pack on it now.

tick.. tock.. taper.

This was my final build week before the taper, had a gym session monday, three pool swims during the week, 35k run on wednesday, an hour run friday, short spin yesterday and a long brick session today. I had another bike session scheduled during the week too, but that had to be abandoned due to lack of time. I really dont know where the time comes from to fit all these sessions in, its kinda amazing how it appears just as the increase is needed each week.

The brick session today was a hilly 6hr spin but without as much mileage as would be nice to see on the garmin; it's hard to get a feel for what sort of time I'm looking at for the bike in lanzarote. I had my first disastrous run off the bike in a long time too (bonked at 3k and had a jog/walk to make it up to 45mins.. it was meant to be a 1hr run). Lesson learned; dont slack off eating on the last leg home on the bike, and dont go for the run without a gel in your pocket. My powertap gave up the ghost half way through the cycle, I hope its just the battery wanting to be replaced.

So many aspects of this race have unknowns for me; the swim is going to be challenging (sea swim, running mass start, not much OW swimming before race day), the cycle is going to be tough and depending on the wind could still have me chasing the cut offs, the run should be ok to 20k but after that I'm not sure.. After being injured I seem to have come back ok, but haven't had many really good long runs, they've all mostly been about just hitting the target distance. So let the taper madness begin where I second guess all my training :D

Oh, and if there's hailstones in lanzarote I'm not doing it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hey KQ, i have rode the course twice and to me the course is 50k rolling terrain to start off with and a gentle introduction to the course:) The next 80km of the course is the difficult bit and where most of the climbing is done. As a suggestion if using the PT and watching over power i would hit lap at the start of each climb and keep a lid on the power output as i think those that attack the climbs too hard will pay for it later.
    The last 50k whilst still rolling is much faster, to give you an idea i was rolling at an average of 27kmph up to 130k and the top of Mirador but was able to pick the average up close to 30kmph by the end, the descent or Mirador is dirty fast. Lots of time to be gained in that last 50km.
    Its a great course, you will enjoy it. This sums it up a bit better

what the hell was i thinking, this time two weeks ill be in lanzarote :eek:

Anyone else going over?

Think of how great it'll be to be back and recovered while everyone else is just stepping it up. Then you can start training for Challenge Barca...:pac:

• Advertisement

Anyone else going over?

Think of how great it'll be to be back and recovered while everyone else is just stepping it up. Then you can start training for Challenge Barca...:pac:

Nope, this time it's just myself. Some family were meant to be going over, but they defected for a longer trip to mallorca instead. There's a gang of irish folk so will recognize a few faces. I need to get some study done so probably going to use the few days to sort that out.

Barca... you're having a laugh!

Lots of swimming this week, no cycling mid week but got out for 2hrs yesterday and a 5hr brick today. Long run on wednesday was a bit of a disaster, after 50mins I rolled my ankle and even though the ankle was grand the whole lower leg was not happy to be run on (even though it was grand to walk on). Had a long walk home, at least the weather was savage. Was in for a sports massage on fri lunch to try sort it all out, which I think it has because the run off the bike today was mostly ok. My TFL/glutes still hate me though. Quite tired today, not sure whether I've caught a bit of a cold or if its just a week of crappy news catching up with me. Powertap fixed with new batteries, so very happy they went this week and not during the race :)

Also, the 14day outlook is now in range. http://www.holiday-weather.com/lanzarote/forecast/fourteen-day/ . Looks to be 22deg with 27kmph winds. Not sure if this is good or bad.. ignorance is bliss :)

Still tired, replaced today's training with a lazy day and early night. Work's going to be a bit mental this week as most of the team are on holidays. Will see how we go in the gym tomorrow morning as to what the rest of the week's training will look like. Got a bit of an OW splash yesterday, and while it was only a few hundred metres, its nice to have it done. 11 days to go.. plenty of time to get rested and recovered... i hope.

image.jpeg

Missed a 3hr brick today as id to battle with the bike to put on new tyres and get the pedals off and clean it all, which took a lot longer than planned. Its still not in the box. Not doing another one of these, cant hack the jitters of race week. Excited and bricking it.

kingQuez wrote: »
    Missed a 3hr brick today as id to battle with the bike to put on new tyres and get the pedals off and clean it all, which took a lot longer than planned. Its still not in the box. Not doing another one of these, cant hack the jitters of race week. Excited and bricking it.

Ha!

Don't forget to pack your stabilisers. :)

Ha!

Don't forget to pack your stabilisers. :)

No space for stabilisers, and im damned if Im opening that box now that the lid finally closes :D

Just did a lap of the swim course. No chance of that swim being cancelled... beautiful. Hope they have big buoys on it for the race though, there's very little to sight off on the outward bound leg. Must remember on race day not to stop and stare at the shoals of fish swimming around and under you either!

For my next trick, I shall build a bike!

• Advertisement

Bike finally got sorted, so I did a little brick session yesterday after some last minute repairs+servicing. It's windy here, I see where the reputation comes from now! No point dwelling on the weather, what will be will be. I love swimming here, its just so nice. Suspect its going to be carnage in the morning though. My main fear is hitting the bike cutoff if the weather conspires against me, and not having a meltdown on the run.. There are a lot of fit people here. If I ever do something like this again I need to lose a few lbs and get some muscle, a blinged out bike, and a suntan.

Time to pack some bags and go rack a bike ... hope my phantom injuries disappear by the morning ... this race has been on my hitlist for a long time now, just hope I can step up to the challenge ... here we go :eek:

Advertisement