Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Grapevine (OFF TOPIC CHAT) Part II

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

5 years vegan today :cool:
    15 including vegetarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

15 including vegetarian.

Well done!

We didn’t note a date when we acknowledged we were following a vegan diet in 2005 because we’d prepared vegan food ‘accidentally’ - unintentionally, simply because we were buying the very occasional cheese on and off for possibly a year or more.

But next year, 15 years defo. plus the preceeding 13 veggie. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

15 including vegetarian.
    Well done TA!

I've got some catching up to do. :)
    Vegetarian: since Xmas 2015
    Vegan: pretty much since Aug-2016

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

That vegetarian white pudding that Aldi or Lidl were trying out last year is now available in my local SuperValu. It's kept in the same fridge as the Happy Pear stuff.

While I think it's lovely I'm still torn about buying it as the manufacturer is also a butcher and I don't want to be supporting that side of his business.

Tbh for myself I be more concerned about mega corporations and helping support an independent and local food sector. The likes of Unilever and Danone are rowing in on food trends and pushing out small local producers. And they dont care who the sell to or where they source their ingredients from:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/dec/19/unilever-joins-meat-free-revolution-after-buying-the-vegetarian-butcher

Worztron wrote: »
    Well done TA!

I've got some catching up to do. :)
    Vegetarian: since Xmas 2015
    Vegan: pretty much since Aug-2016

Fair play to ya!

• Advertisement

Fair play to ya!

Thank you David. :)

Before I turned vegetarian in Xmas 2015 - I ate meat very rarely anyway (about once every few months) for a good few years. Being vegetarian was simple. After going vegan, I did miss the cheese & tomato pizzas but don't anymore - there are now some excellent vegan pizzas around. I just wish so many crisps didn't contain whey.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I'll be vegetarian three years this month. Try my best to always go for a vegan option when I see it, but have to work on my laziness in terms of not just reaching for biccies, and milk in the coffee at work. Eating a vegan diet is not hard: giving myself a boot in my lazy h*le so that I have vegan food and ingredients to hand to prepare in advance is my problem.

Congrats to all on their vegan-versaries!

I’m just reading Steven Pinker’s The Better Angels of Our Nature. Utterly riveting (all 841 pages of it).

Take heart, Doozer: “Self-control has been credited with one of the greatest reductions of violence in history”. Also: that “Self-control is physical effort turns out to have a kernel of neurobiological reality”.

Risk factors for violence include selfishness, insults, jealousy, tribalism, crowding, hot weather, maleness etc. We’ve all (well, 50% of us in the last case) encountered those feelings but we usually exercise self-control when they occur.

It’s all fascinating stuff and too complex to go into here, but there are strategies which I’m sure you’re aware of. Here’s another Pinker quote about self-control: “In addition to being modulated by Ulyssean constraints, cognitive reframing, an adjustable internal discount rate, improvements in nutrition, and the equivalent of muscle gain with exercise, self-control might be at the mercy of the whims of fasion. In some eras, self-control define the paragon of a decent person…in others it is jeered at.”

Gosh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I see the whole flora range has gone vegan, and they seem to be only posting vegan recipes these days. Nice to see such a large company make that move.

I see the whole flora range has gone vegan, and they seem to be only posting vegan recipes these days. Nice to see such a large company make that move.

They're living up to their name now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Vegan Ben & Jerry’s 1/2 price in Tesco.

Bought one one I’ve not seen before.

Coconutterly caramel’d

And the usual (peanut butter & cookies)

Must try that one out! I won four free tubs and a special shovel shaped spoon from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Dessert sorted tonight ;)

I see burger king are bringing the impossible burger to their stores in the US, trialing it in 60 or so in in the US atm before moving it to the other thousands of locations. Called the impossible whopper.

^^ on a related note, I got a booklet of vouchers in the door from our local Mickey D's. Now I know people have Opinions on high street junk food on a veggie/vegan diet, but just as an aside, the only veggie option in the whole booklet was....a coffee. Burgers, McMuffins, etc all available but not a veggie burger option in sight. Should we be offended, or thank our lucky stars??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

McDonalds do have 2 veggie options, they are dairy free and vegan except that the wrap passes through the same toaster as their buns which contain milk.

https://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/mcdonalds-launches-a-vegetarian-and-dairyfree-happy-meal-in-ireland-37675653.html
    All ingredients in the two new vegetarian items are dairy free and vegan.

However, McDonald's said: "The tortilla wraps pass through the same toaster as our buns, which do contain milk."

My eight year old tried the veggie happy meal, he did not like it, I tried it and really did not like it either. Pity they don’t offer plant “milk” as I found their coffee ok.

Vexorg wrote: »
    McDonalds do have 2 veggie options

Oh I know :) but in the booklet put through my door, there wasn't one veggie option on offer with a coupon.

The veggie burger is quite nice, quite falafel-y I think. The spicy veg wrap is ok too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Mea culpa, I misunderstood your post.

Might try the adult version next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I see burger king are bringing the impossible burger to their stores in the US, trialing it in 60 or so in in the US atm before moving it to the other thousands of locations. Called the impossible whopper.

Looking at reddit it seems to be going well.

• Advertisement

Vexorg wrote: »
    Mea culpa, I misunderstood your post.

Might try the adult version next time.
    Not missing out on much but better than nothing!
    Look forward to them making better options.
    Worztron wrote: »

They're quite reasonably priced too $5.50$/6 or $7.50 for a meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Serving it with egg based mayo thought unless you ask for it without.

Which I find quite annoying. Would it really be that hard for them to serve it with a vegan mayo. Nobody wants a dry burger!

Yeah I don't like that, I view it as an initial step.

Ryanair now doing vegan food. Lasagne that is vegan and gluten free for €6 on Ryanair, never thought I'd see the day. Bringing veganism to all new heights, ho ho. The initial review I've heard from somebody is that is actually really nice too, surprisingly.

Ryanair_vegan-page.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

lads...ladies...does lidl stock tofu ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Just saw that this sv3rige guy is supposedly planning an anti vegan protest outside the Belfast Veg Fest this Sunday. Don't really know much about him. We will just ignore anything like that and hope others do too.

Just saw that this sv3rige guy is supposedly planning an anti vegan protest outside the Belfast Veg Fest this Sunday. Don't really know much about him. We will just ignore anything like that and hope others do too.

Maybe Fine Gael might organise a protest outside the next Sinn Féin meeting. Good idea? :D:D

He got paint thrown over him at Manchester :D

sv3rige, what a complete loon. He eats rotten raw moldy meat and stares at the sun among his other batsh1t crazy activities.

He also thinks the earth is flat and that there should be no law in society. People should be allowed to kill and harm who they want.

Nice guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Unearthly wrote: »
    He also thinks the earth is flat and that there should be no law in society. People should be allowed to kill and harm who they want.

Nice guy

There's a lot of crazy people holding crazy views out there tbh. However laughing about anyone being assaulted or attacked is not good whatever you may believe tbh.

Advertisement