Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone have AIB card reader in Melbourne?

Options
  • 07-01-2016 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm just after getting to Melbourne, and I'm a bit stuck with transfering money - apparently AIB insist on having a card reader, which I never received as a customer, in order to transfer money to my new NAB account. It'd cost a lot to just take out the cash and put it in the account, so just wondering on the off chance someone would have an AIB card reader. Or a better idea as to how to get my own fcuking money out without it costing a bomb. :) thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

AIB are the ones who told me I need a card reader

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

I have one if you still need it :)

akamossie wrote: »
    I have one if you still need it :)

Cool, where in Melbourne are you?
    It'll still cost the 1% fee I'm guessing or something like that, but at least I won't have to pay the atm fee every time and then the hassle of withdrawing and depositing repeatedly.

I live in Preston and during the week I am in Collingwood for work. So can meet you either places or nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dats_rite

Set up an account with Currencyfair.com.

Use the card reader and add the currencyfair account. Send the money to that and then to the Australian account.

It will be cheaper and you will get a better rate. More money for you and less for the banks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Whats a card reader for?

I live in Preston and during the week I am in Collingwood for work. So can meet you either places or nearby.

Might possibly be able to meet you in Collingwood. I'm going to look into the currency fair thing first. Would I be able to hold onto the reader for like a week?

Might possibly be able to meet you in Collingwood. I'm going to look into the currency fair thing first. Would I be able to hold onto the reader for like a week?

Currency fair request proof of address in two forms, which I don't have as I'm travelling around Australia. So that's out.

Hey mate,
    you can have the card reader for a week as long you bring it back :)

and if you want to use currencyfair, happy to help. I've my account and its all validated.

• Advertisement

Hey mate,
    you can have the card reader for a week as long you bring it back :)

and if you want to use currencyfair, happy to help. I've my account and its all validated.

Wow that's a very kind offer.
    Would there not be the issue of a stranger (me) having access to that kind of detail?
    Can you tell me if it is actually cheaper than the continual withdrawals and depositing? They're telling me that it'd be a 0.15% charge plus a $4 transfer fee. I don't maths so well, but it seems to me that it'll be around €70 on a €10,000 transfer.

Wow that's a very kind offer.
    Would there not be the issue of a stranger (me) having access to that kind of detail?
    Can you tell me if it is actually cheaper than the continual withdrawals and depositing? They're telling me that it'd be a 0.15% charge plus a $4 transfer fee. I don't maths so well, but it seems to me that it'll be around €70 on a €10,000 transfer.

Hey Tipperary Fairy, wasn't going to share my credential details. Happy to do the transfer for you through my account if you want to go down through CF. To be honest I use nothing but CF as I find them giving me the best rate and 4EUR charge is nothing compared to banks.

if you are not feeling comfortable, just use the card reader and do what makes you comfortable I guess :)

Thanks for the offer but I think most people would advise against giving a stranger access to all my money!

Might still take the card reader though, providing aib allow a transfer that big.

Thanks for the offer but I think most people would advise against giving a stranger access to all my money!

Might still take the card reader though, providing aib allow a transfer that big.

Totally understand - I can lend you my card on the spot as you only need it for a couple minutes really to do your transfer. let me know when you want to meet. might be in the city tomorrow day if you around.

Totally understand - I can lend you my card on the spot as you only need it for a couple minutes really to do your transfer. let me know when you want to meet. might be in the city tomorrow day if you around.

Would need to do two transfers, and would need to be on a computer, so would rather have it for an evening if that works for you? Will be in the city tomorrow if you are around

Advertisement