Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's going on over there??? - See mod warning post 194 BEFORE posting!

• 20-01-2015 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭ Ellie Slimy Puddle

These news reports are almost on a weekly basis now 'Remarkably stupid' Irishman in Australia became stuck in roof while trying to sneak into nightclub

Speaking to a friend who is Australia the past 4 years, he told me that he's almost embarrassed to be Irish. He said that he's been in restaurants that Irish have started food fights, hostels that have been turned upside down, falling around Sydney like drunken buffoons fighting with one another and then making up five minutes later.

Are the Irish really that bad out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,348 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

These news reports are almost on a weekly basis now 'Remarkably stupid' Irishman in Australia became stuck in roof while trying to sneak into nightclub

Speaking to a friend who is Australia the past 4 years, he told me that he's almost embarrassed to be Irish. He said that he's been in restaurants that Irish have started food fights, hostels that have been turned upside down, falling around Sydney like drunken buffoons fighting with one another and then making up five minutes later.

You would be surprised how many Aussies do the same thing in Dublin/London etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭ Ellie Slimy Puddle

You would be surprised how many Aussies do the same thing in Dublin/London etc

Is that really an excuse for the bad behavior of the Irish people that go out there?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen them in the Irish courts or National newspapers?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Its not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's natural enough I'd say. Young people leave home and have to run their own lives for the first time. They have less people telling them what to do and they are more likely to do stupid stuff for a while at least.

People who emigrate are slightly more inclined to be risk takers (hence emigrating). You won't hear about the people who have set up small businesses or take risks that pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,348 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Is that really an excuse for the bad behavior of the Irish people that go out there?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen them in the Irish courts or National newspapers?

No it's not an excuse, It's pointing out that every nation has it's idiots and young people away from home will sometimes act the ****.

• Advertisement

typical aussies, remarkably stupid IRISHMAN! he's just stupid full stop. the Irishman part whoever put that in is just being a dick!

It's natural enough I'd say. Young people leave home and have to run their own lives for the first time. They have less people telling them what to do and they are more likely to do stupid stuff for a while at least.

People who emigrate are slightly more inclined to be risk takers (hence emigrating). You won't hear about the people who have set up small businesses or take risks that pay off.

Natural enough to get stuck in an air conditioning vent, natural enough to punch your brother in the back of the head and put him into a coma, natural enough set a Christmas tree on fire?

No it's not an excuse, It's pointing out that every nation has it's idiots and young people away from home will sometimes act the ****.

Judging by the Newspapers and court appearances it appears our population has a disproportionately high number of these people.

Natural enough to get stuck in an air conditioning vent, natural enough to punch your brother in the back of the head and put him into a coma, natural enough set a Christmas tree on fire?

Yes. Those things count as stupid Stuff and my point was that people away from home will do more stupid stuff, more frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I have an Aussie mate who proudly tells the story of how he required 6 emergency service crew plus the guards and a host of onlookers after he jumped in the river on Australia day in galway. Idiots are everywhere.

The reason your hearing the stories more here now is cause it's silly season for the media in AU. Parliament is out, schools and colleges are on holidays and loads of people are still on their summer break. Basically they have to make the news so they pick the most ridiculous stories.

Irish media experience the same phenomenon in August every year.

• Advertisement

rusty cole wrote: »
    typical aussies, remarkably stupid IRISHMAN! he's just stupid full stop. the Irishman part whoever put that in is just being a dick!

I just have to check that you realise you complained that they drew attention to his nationality, by calling them 'typical aussies'?

Maybe my sarcasm detector is busted

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Judging by the Newspapers and court appearances it appears our population has a disproportionately high number of these people.

It probably works out to be one in every 10,000 when you consider how many Irish are in Australia..

aido79 wrote: »
    It probably works out to be one in every 10,000 when you consider how many Irish are in Australia..

That would equate to about 15 million Irish people living in Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

They're just trying to fit in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I met an Irish girl today doing a truly ****ing thankless job in a thankless place for a thankless firm. One of several.

However for every one of these idiots getting headlines there are hundreds doing us proud.

That would equate to about 15 million Irish people living in Australia.

Which would mean they're has been 1500 cases of badly behaving Irish here..

I'm glad you have the time to read every Australian newspaper front to back to be able to come to conclusions like this. Do you live here? It's really not that bad, for the most part Irish people are working hard, integrating with the community and making the most of their lives. I've not heard a single Australian say a bad thing about an individual case over here and for the most part people are sympathetic to the two brothers on the East coast and even the horrible Aussie media are changing their tone in the reporting of this case (in my opinion anyways).

jamesdiver wrote: »
    I'm glad you have the time to read every Australian newspaper front to back to be able to come to conclusions like this. Do you live here? It's really not that bad, for the most part Irish people are working hard, integrating with the community and making the most of their lives. I've not heard a single Australian say a bad thing about an individual case over here and for the most part people are sympathetic to the two brothers on the East coast and even the horrible Aussie media are changing their tone in the reporting of this case (in my opinion anyways).

I'm glad you're glad.

As for the two brothers, What has changed in the way the Australian media is reporting the case, have some of the facts changed?

None of the facts changed. When it first happened the media hyped it up along the lines of a "king punch", the way they usually report assaults here. After a few days they started showing interviews with the father they seemed to drop some of the dramatic wording and it came across as more sympathetic, for example calling it a more simple unfortunate brotherly tiff than an unprovoked punch from behind. That's my opinion based on the odd news report I see.

jamesdiver wrote: »
    None of the facts changed. When it first happened the media hyped it up along the lines of a "king punch", the way they usually report assaults here. After a few days they started showing interviews with the father they seemed to drop some of the dramatic wording and it came across as more sympathetic, for example calling it a more simple unfortunate brotherly tiff than an unprovoked punch from behind. That's my opinion based on the odd news report I see.

Well I'm glad you have the time to sit up all night watching those news reports.

• Advertisement

Good man yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ask him has he ever been in a Lindt chocolate cafe in Sydney?
    There are worse things than drunken antics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

mikom wrote: »

Reminds me of the aussie who hijacked an aer lingus flight to find out the third secret of Fatima!

Ever been to Temple Bar? Or to any town in Ireland with a nightclub on a Saturday night? You really sound like a guy who doesn't get out much and doesn't know what he's talking about. Have you ever been to Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

I'm embarrassed to be Irish regularly here. Due to drunken fools being rowdy and/or fighting. It gives us a bad name over here as we are associated by citizenship.
    In reality, it is usually 'packers over on the piss for a year that don't give a **** and probably act like assholes in Ireland too. However, that doesn't help Irish people in Australia who have settled or are in the process of doing so.

My general advice to drunk Paddies who approach me in the pub or at events asking if I can get them a job or how to 'scam a visa', etc... Go home. You're not ready for Australia or wanted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

ArseBurger wrote: »
    I'm embarrassed to be Irish regularly here. Due to drunken fools being rowdy and/or fighting. It gives us a bad name over here as we are associated by citizenship.
    In reality, it is usually 'packers over on the piss for a year that don't give a **** and probably act like assholes in Ireland too. However, that doesn't help Irish people in Australia who have settled or are in the process of doing so.

My general advice to drunk Paddies who approach me in the pub or at events asking if I can get them a job or how to 'scam a visa', etc... Go home. You're not ready for Australia or wanted here.

I haven't encountered any in a good while now, maybe I'm not really moving in the same circles anymore. Even when I was over here as a backpacker, the crowd I knew weren't too bad. pi$$heads for sure, but rarely rowdy, hardly ever arrested, there was one incident where some one had a a bit of a rah rah with the cops...until they were politely reminded that its not a Garda they were talking to and the next step was pepper spray or a zap of the shock stick.
    There were only a few occasions when I was a bit ashamed, and I usually let them know it shortly afterwards.

That said, I did have a few nights out in Sydney before moving to QLD when there were ridiculous fights (Peter Griffin-vs-Chicken brawls) but I've seen Aussies at the exact same, just not in the Irish pubs, and not before closing time.

Either way, I don't feel ashamed of my nationality because of a few d1ckheads. There is no shortage of them, the world over, the difference is ours have passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

The last time I saw it was Sunday. In a place where we're usually pretty sheltered from the transient backpacker crowd. Ten plus boozed up Irish taking the piss. They eventually got thrown out and ended up getting taxis. One of which was entered by an idiot diving head first through the rear window. Cue much anger and consternation when the, now five, people in the taxi were refused service. Poor driver was lashed with verbal abuse. About half of which were racial slurs.

Like I said, rarely proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

mikom wrote: »

Trying to figure this post out, I've been in a Lindt cafe and never witnessed any bafoonery. Unless you are trying to make some idiotic tasteless remark about comparing the terrorist incident which two people lost their lives to a bunch of clowns on tour.

Typical thread of idiots defending other idiots, just because they are Irish doesn't make them less of an idiot than any other nationality.... idiots are idiots no matter where they come from.

aido79 wrote: »
    Ever been to Temple Bar? Or to any town in Ireland with a nightclub on a Saturday night? You really sound like a guy who doesn't get out much and doesn't know what he's talking about. Have you ever been to Australia?

So you think that getting stuck in an air vent, food fights in restaurants and turning hostels upside down is all part and parcel of getting out and about?

Do you think this is acceptable behavior?

Why are posters on this thread making excuses for bad behavior?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Here's one that wasn't reported in the papers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fypfmr062a9zyar/2GB.wav?dl=0

Sure it's just a bit of craic

Advertisement