Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rate My Team thread

• 19-07-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd get this going again as people are going to be tinkering left, right and centre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

To start off here is my first draft.

scaled.php?server=801&filename=ffteam.png&res=landing

EDIT: Forgot to add in my subs, oops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Ok heres mine, I realise there are question marks over Harte with Shorey being signed so ill be looking out for readings pre season games to see if Harte starts, im also banking on Pienaar going back to Everton and ill be keeping an eye out for michu and his price

rsz_11fantasy_2013.jpg

So what ye guys think

Kagawa looks promising but I need to see him play in pre-season first before I can settle on bringing him into my squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hi again everyone,

My first draft:
    De Gea

Cole Clichy Gibbs/Santos

Valencia Yaya Toure McClean N'Zogbia

Rooney Aguero Pogrebynak

Subs: Sorenson/Begovic, Cuellar, McCartney and Britton

I'll end up changing it a lot before the start of the season depending on things such as where Van Persie ends up, who else is transferred in and out at other clubs and when it becomes a bit clearer who the first choice players are.

I've stuck with my formula of starting the season with 2 top strikers (ideally I want 3, but I'll worry about that when I know where Van Persie will be playing) plus lots of full backs and wingers as I've found these more likely to chip in with points especially moreso than centre halfs.

Any critique is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

rsz_11fantasy_2013.jpg

So what ye guys think

Will Jenkinson start regularly for Arsenal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

BKC wrote: »

Sagna will most likely miss the start of the season so Jenkison will be first choice till he is fit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

rk9Ta.jpg

Went with obvious players for the most part, I'll probably change things up towards the end of the month. Made the top 50k last season, hopefully I'll do well again this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭farranreeboy

Mine is

Krul

Fabio
    Simpson
    Cahill

Young
    Moses
    Hazard
    Kagawa

Torres
    Agureo
    Pogrebnyak

Subs: Jaaskelainen Cuellar Hangeland Britton

Will change as the season draws closer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

going to be heartbreak picking between kagawa nani young and valencia this season over rotation. who's most likely to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

darego wrote: »
    going to be heartbreak picking between kagawa nani young and valencia this season over rotation. who's most likely to start?

I think Kagawa will be first choice as he will play in the hole,wingers are wingers are Utd and they generally tend to find form at different times over the season so picking one is easier than it would appear to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

darego wrote: »

Kagawa is almost certainly going to play in the hole at Man United, right behind Rooney. Nani and Valencia are not in competition for his place, and his main threats are Wellbeck, Hernandez and possibly Young. I think Kagawa is currently the least likely to be rotated out of all the players mentiond above. He is also 0.5m cheaper than Nani and Valencia. Preseason will tell us more but Kagawa fills a very specific role at United, one I feel he will excel at, with Nani, Valencia and Rooney bot helping him and being helped by him.

It seems that he is nailed on to start given Sagnas injury. However, Arsenal have Sunderland (H), Stoke (A), Liverpool (A) Southampton (H) and Man City (A) in their first five games. He's not as nailed on in my starting squad as you might think but he is certainly in contention given his 4.5 m price tag. Once we know how long Sagna will be out, we will get a better idea, but Jenkinson certainly looked capable when given his opportunity last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

De Gea

Harte Cole Lescott Walker

Hazard Bale Yaya Toure Nolan

Pogrebnyak Aguero

Subs: Begovic, Taylor(Swansea), Frei, Lambert

Anyone know if Frei will be a regular for Fulham? From what I have seen of him he looks very good

De Gea

Harte Cole Lescott Walker

Hazard Bale Yaya Toure Nolan

Pogrebnyak Aguero

Subs: Begovic, Taylor(Swansea), Frei, Lambert

Anyone know if Frei will be a regular for Fulham? From what I have seen of him he looks very good

I think he will actually and is someone I am keeping an eye on him. Could be a massive bragain.

Be wary of Harte as he is not guaranteed to start.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think he will actually and is someone I am keeping an eye on him. Could be a massive bragain.

Be wary of Harte as he is not guaranteed to start.

Will be keeping an eye on Harte alright. Not sure about Begovic either as Sorensen may start but we will have to wait and see I suppose. Frei could be a great bargain if he gets games so hopefully he will

Will Hazard start for Chelsea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PowerData

My first try.. :)

34t39qr.png

What do you guys think of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Yes, I would say he is a certain starter. Could be a good player for assists and a few goals.

Scored in their first preseason friendly two days ago.

Yes, I would say he is a certain starter. Could be a good player for assists and a few goals.

Scored in their first preseason friendly two days ago.

Knew he scored alright but with all the attacking players Chelsea have now its hard to figure out what way they will line up

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

PowerData wrote: »
    My first try.. :)

What do you guys think of it?

Usually more money spent on attacking players is the way to go..

Get a Rooney or Aguero in there!

Will be keeping an eye on Harte alright. Not sure about Begovic either as Sorensen may start but we will have to wait and see I suppose. Frei could be a great bargain if he gets games so hopefully he will

Nailed on imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Kagawa is almost certainly going to play in the hole at Man United, right behind Rooney. Nani and Valencia are not in competition for his place, and his main threats are Wellbeck, Hernandez and possibly Young. I think Kagawa is currently the least likely to be rotated out of all the players mentiond above. He is also 0.5m cheaper than Nani and Valencia. Preseason will tell us more but Kagawa fills a very specific role at United, one I feel he will excel at, with Nani, Valencia and Rooney bot helping him and being helped by him.

It seems that he is nailed on to start given Sagnas injury. However, Arsenal have Sunderland (H), Stoke (A), Liverpool (A) Southampton (H) and Man City (A) in their first five games. He's not as nailed on in my starting squad as you might think but he is certainly in contention given his 4.5 m price tag. Once we know how long Sagna will be out, we will get a better idea, but Jenkinson certainly looked capable when given his opportunity last season.

If Van persie arrives that will change

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

First draft, in work so cant post a pic.
    Vorm Al Habsi

Simpson Clichy Ivanovic Harte Jenkinson

Nolan Mata Silva Lallana B. Johnson

Pogrebnyak Torres Aguero.

Staying away from new signings such as Hazard and Kagawa until a couple of weeks into the seaon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

First draft.
    Given

Clichy Cahill Cuellar

Guilherme Kagawa Hazard V der Vart

Pogrebnyak Rooney Aguero.

Subs McCartney, Jaaskelainen, Gorkss, britton

Have to see how spurs shape up and this new guy for swansea also.

What u think?

manual_man wrote: »
    Usually more money spent on attacking players is the way to go..

Get a Rooney or Aguero in there!

Hmm, sure, let's try that. My midfielders and subs suffered, but what do you guys think (again)? :P

34njwjo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭hupskip

Hmm, sure, let's try that. My midfielders and subs suffered, but what do you guys think (again)? :P

34njwjo.png

I would get rid of Evra and Lescott for sure and replace them with cheaper defenders - this will enable you to strengthen your midfield and alos it makes no sense having two defenders from City and a goalie/defender from United.

I doubt Evra will get you much points and he is in danger of being replaced or dropped.

hupskip wrote: »
    I would get rid of Evra and Lescott for sure and replace them with cheaper defenders - this will enable you to strengthen your midfield and alos it makes no sense having two defenders from City and a goalie/defender from United.

How does this not make any sense? Sure, it increases risks, but thereby also has the possibility of increasing my gains. ;)
    Furthermore, isn't the midfield the area where you can gain least points, with strikers scoring and assisting more and defenders getting more points for clean sheets?
    LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I doubt Evra will get you much points and he is in danger of being replaced or dropped.
    Should I replace him with Vidic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

3/4 of these probably won't make the final cut, but I want to get a team in early just in case I don't get to make a team closer to kick-off.
    pIhVF.png

The likes of Rafael and Tevez are obviously subject to first-team doubts, and the Chelsea/Reading lads were just thrown in because of the double week.

Let the games begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

aee97bd0084aaaf56c0b54716ebf3a06.png?1342800263

I've changed it a good bit since my first draft last night. Pretty ****e bench but that's usually the case for me in this game and I've done well the last few seasons.

I thought I'd give a few comments on why I picked who I did rather than the other way around. Of course there's still a number of decisions to be made and work to be done which I will include below each position.

Goalkeeper: - Chances are Sunderland are going to have Cuellar - O'Shea - Brown - AN Other as their back four this season. Whilst not pulling up any trees attackingly, that's a very solid, quite tall back line that won't concede too many soft goals from set pieces. As a counter attacking team they will play quite deep with the focus on not conceding. Last season Mignolet had 11 clean sheets despite missing 2 months with a facial injury, going 78 minutes between goals conceded and I expect him to better that this season. With Reading, Swansea, Wigan, West Ham, Stoke, Villa and home game against Newcastle in his first 8 games, there's plenty of opportunity for him to get off to a good start.

Defence: - I love to go for full backs here as I've found they provide much more opportunity for bigger point scoring than centre backs. I think Cole speaks for himself. Chelsea have a great start and he had 6 assists and 9 clean sheets last season. Chelsea will be far better this season IMO and I can see him keeping more clean sheets than that. Clichy was first choice for Manchester City during their great run in which saw them clinch the title, and I expect Mancini to start out with him at LB. City are probably the best equipped team to keep clean sheets and I think everyone needs to have one City defender in their team. I fancy West Ham to come storming out of the blocks with 8 fixtures out of 10 that they could keep a clean sheet in at the start of the season. McCartney was first choice LB for the vast majority of last season and won West Ham's Players Player of the Year award. Big Sam's teams are always difficult to break down and I will definitely have a West Ham defender in my team for the first quarter of the season at least. Jenkinson is one I'm still not really sure of. He's cheap, almost guaranteed to start for a team challenging at the right end of the table, but Arsenal have a very tricky first 6 weeks and by the end of that time when things get easier Sagna could be back. I'll look into this one.

Work to be done here - Determine what full backs will start for Man City and West Ham and if it's not Clichy and/or McCartney replace them with similar. Decide on Jenkinson or someone else.

Midfield - I'm very happy with this, with players from Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea, all who should create and have numerous chances in most games. Last season Valencia contributed 4 goals and 14 assists, Mata 6 goals and 17 assists and Silva 6 goals and 18 assists. Absolutely huge numbers.

Work to be done - See how Kagawa fits in and whether he'd be a better option than Valencia, look at Mata V Hazard, decide if I'd be better with Yaya Toure as City's representitive in midfield and use the extra cash to strengthen elsewhere.

Attack: - Rooney is definitely in no matter what. Aside from Van Persie, Aguero is the next best striker to choose. However, if Van Persie does end up staying in the Premier League I think I'll have to get him in instead of Aguero. I still think there's a good chance Pogrebnyak is a bust for Reading but there's no better option for that price at the minute.

Work to be done - See how the Van Persie situation develops.

Overall I'm pretty happy, there's lots of representation from big players who will create and score a lot, but as you can read there's still a number of changes I could end up making before kick-off.

Any comments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Paully D wrote: »
    Pretty ****e bench but that's usually the case for me in this game and I've done well the last few seasons.

Definitely need a better bench, IMO. It's one thing having a 3rd sub as dead wood (Ferguson last season), but to have 3 pretty-much-useless subs is too much. Especially with the likes of City, United, and Chelsea players subject to possible rotation.

I'd also try find a better sub keeper. The key this season will be in finding a cheap starting home/away combo like Vorm/Krul last season. The only time I'd stick a dead-wood keeper on my bench is if I was investing big money into a top keeper to play every game.

I'm looking at Begovic myself. Will have to wait though to see if he's in the first team as a regular.

Advertisement