Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

pat1187 wrote: »
    I am curious about the money too,
    also where do I go about getting the epaulets,I know people attested since mid-summer who do not have any and others not allowed out because they do not have them.Is it up to the station to assign epaulet numbers? and then what?

Pat I hear the epaulets are been sourced??
    Maybe you should ring Divisionsal headquarters to confirm that your lot are included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

star gazer wrote: »
    Would it be fair to say that the Reserve has had a slow but steady start? The poll question: is it here to stay?

I think this is very fair comment, its a slow steady start but now reserves are getting established in the stations,i have experienced working with a few now in different stations south of the liffey and so far so good.

One thing i have noticed is that many of reserves and indeed young Gardai want to be out and about all the time, when really sometimes having a reserve inside manning the station, the command and control system etc while some one else is on break would be a big benefit to the unit, not very exciting as such , but necessary, plus it means I don't have to pull a full time member of the streets to relieve the station, particularly on a friday/ or Sat night when its busy and I need bodies outside and when most reserves seem to work.

I think its fair to say they have been well received and certainly the reserve attached to our unit has settled in well, it was a bit strange at first because
    it was a learning curve for me as well, not knowing what they could and could not do, but know the regulations/guide has been published and everything is in black and white more or less. Prisoners is still a bit of a grey area, and my only comment about public order arrests is that I guess the thinking is that you will always be with a full time member, plus it avoids you having to get time time off work to go to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

vasch_ro wrote: »
    I think this is very fair comment, its a slow steady start but now reserves are getting established in the stations,i have experienced working with a few now in different stations south of the liffey and so far so good.

One thing i have noticed is that many of reserves and indeed young Gardai want to be out and about all the time, when really sometimes having a reserve inside manning the station, the command and control system etc while some one else is on break would be a big benefit to the unit, not very exciting as such , but necessary, plus it means I don't have to pull a full time member of the streets to relieve the station, particularly on a friday/ or Sat night when its busy and I need bodies outside and when most reserves seem to work.

I think its fair to say they have been well received and certainly the reserve attached to our unit has settled in well, it was a bit strange at first because
    it was a learning curve for me as well, not knowing what they could and could not do, but know the regulations/guide has been published and everything is in black and white more or less. Prisoners is still a bit of a grey area, and my only comment about public order arrests is that I guess the thinking is that you will always be with a full time member, plus it avoids you having to get time time off work to go to court.

Its good to see an honest and open opinion from a full time member, fair play vasch, and it is a valid point releasing members to beats with a Reservist covering front counter/public office/c&c etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

geo1212 wrote: »
    Its good to see an honest and open opinion from a full time member, fair play vasch, and it is a valid point releasing members to beats with a Reservist covering front counter/public office/c&c etc.

Hi forgive me if I am wrong but is it not up to the Unit sergeant to decide where the Reserve member is best placed during a shift.I for one have done my fair share on the comms desk and on the front desk.I thought the whole concept of The Garda Reserve was to be seen out and about in the community.I am open to correction on this point.

Hi forgive me if I am wrong but is it not up to the Unit sergeant to decide where the Reserve member is best placed during a shift.I for one have done my fair share on the comms desk and on the front desk.I thought the whole concept of The Garda Reserve was to be seen out and about in the community.I am open to correction on this point.

Might be a crossed wire baton, what I meant was if that was what was required on whatever particular shift then thats why were there in the first place to assist where necassary. I would guess that some of the smaller stations with very small units would have to have whatever resources available on a weekend out and about, but if that meant releasing a Guard to outdoor duty instead of a Reservist it would make more sence. At the same time if your been given station duties every shift, I understand where your coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Hughdub

Hi all.. Just been reading the few posts about hours available to work etc. I have worked a variety of early, late and nights. Your hours of work with the reserves are worked around your own outside commitments ie. family and work. Your liason Insp. will be aware of your prior commitments and hours available and will work around these, BUT ONLY IF YOU LET HIM/HER KNOW!! I completely understand peoples wish not to be sitting around a station doing nothing but in reality if your sitting around doing nothing well then you only have yourself to blame. Everytime you go on duty no matter what time you must take the opportunity as a learning experience and ask questions and get involved in whatever is going on. My own feeling is that if you restrict your duties to weekend nights then all you'll get to see is your area in the dark and people coming to and from pubs/clubs etc. This is operationally a very important time to be visible, but remember that so much more happens throughout the day and the only way you'll get to see the greatest variety of work is by working a variety of shifts. This is just my opinion and experience to date but I restate the fact that if you find yourself sitting around a station doing nothing then you are wasting a valuable opportunity to learn new things. ''Here endeth the lesson''. Congratulations to all who attested and graduated on the 13th Dec, was good to see you all again and the best of luck to you all in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

lehanmore
    As I said in another post,don't hesitate to go to your local health board clinic or whomever deals with Birth Certs and ask them for help as its all computerized now.

As for work hours,you can only do it when you can,its only 4 hours a week. Some time it may suit to do an 8 hour shift as I have done,remember they ask for 208 hours a year.
    Also there is nothing as bad as being in the station with nothing to do,but as you get to know people it gets easier and the Gardai really isn't the place for '' shrinking violets'' (if thats the proper term)

My 2 cents on this site being monitored by the college, thats very welcome,and any questions or concerns answered the better.
    however I suppose we really do not and can not know who else is reading all this, so discretion is advised.

My number 1187 was my first telephone number (U.S.) in case anyone's wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

any Reserve Gardai working Christmas Eve/Christmas Day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

lehanemore wrote: »

Why would anyone in their right mind volunteer to come on either day, especially as they're not getting paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Maybe they didn't celebrate Christmas for religious or cultural reasons? Otherwise it seems altogether over-enthusiastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

cushtac wrote: »
    Why would anyone in their right mind volunteer to come on either day, especially as they're not getting paid?
    because they probably enjoy what they do

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rooger

paul666 wrote: »
    because they probably enjoy what they do
    Well said, that's exactly it! When it becomes a chore or a "second paying job" then its time to quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Well said, that's exactly it! When it becomes a chore or a "second paying job" then its time to quit.

Hi,are you in kildare reserves?

Hi,are you in kildare reserves?
    DMRS.

Actually, I worked a 10-6 last Christmas Eve, with a couple of others, and its one of the few days in the year when you get a smile and a nod rather than "what are they looking at", so was happy to do it, unable to work tomorrow due to family commitments, but probably would if I was free.
    1 yr+ doing it now and have no regrets.

civdef wrote: »
    Maybe they didn't celebrate Christmas for religious or cultural reasons? Otherwise it seems altogether over-enthusiastic.

Out of curiousity, would it be fair to assume from your comment that part time / unpaid Lifeboat crews / St. Johns / Rape crisis / Homeless Assistance / Social workers / Samartains / Fire crews, the list is endless, who give up their time are "altogether over-enthusiastic"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Not really, I'm a member of a voluntary organisation myself, and like the rest of the year I'll be available if something happens, but that doesn't mean you'll find me down at the base on Christmas morning doing paperwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mugginsgalore

Well you did say ( in their right minds ) !!!

They're not paid.

we know.

we know.

Tell leinsterdude, he called it a second paying job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

What are you on about I didnt,are you joking???

civdef wrote: »
    Not really, I'm a member of a voluntary organisation myself, and like the rest of the year I'll be available if something happens, but that doesn't mean you'll find me down at the base on Christmas morning doing paperwork.

Point taken, perhaps I came across a little strong, did'nt mean to offend.

What are you on about I didnt,are you joking???

12 posts back, posted yesterday at 1500.

Tell leinsterdude, he called it a second paying job.
    My "second paying job" comment refers to those that look on the reserves as as a few bob at the end of the year and are constantly moaning that they have not been paid yet. Believe it or not there are some of us that would do it for nothing and others for whom the gratuity will not even cover the expenses of refs and travel to the stations. Some of us have happily given some of our free time, for no pay, to either our communities or the state for many years without the (dare i say) excitement, thrills and serious responsibility of An Garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

I personally think its a bit sad that reserves/specials come in on Christmas and New years. I get paid to work Christmas but I'd much rather have the time off to be with my family to be honest. Go in and do it for free? No way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

The idea of the reserves (please correct me if I'm wrong) is basically this:
    - do a lot of the minor work which keeps regular Guards from major work, there by freeing up more regular guards for the street
    - strength in numbers, more manpower behind the existing guards with less training involved

So in theory it should solve the problem is not enough Guards on the street, at least to an extent, that you are going on about.

Ok, so it's not a perfect idea and maybe more full time guards are required .. but it's certainly a help I reckon.

I get the feeling that no matter how well thought out it is and implimented, there are always going to be naysayers and moaners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Benny Kerry

I get the feeling that no matter how well thought out it is and implimented, there are always going to be naysayers and moaners.

Given that this is exactly what the full time GS have to listen to, i.e., some people are supportive and some are anything but, does this mean that GR are now accepted into society - that is, for better or for worse, for richer or poorer etc etc, they are now a part of the fabric of our society?

Food for thought.

Be careful out there.

how are you getting on Benny, what are your experiences to date? good or bad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Benny Kerry

Hi lehanemore, thanks for the enquiry. I'm good. My 'real job' is keeping me busy but as I have stated before, the acceptance of the GR will be little by little. It will be down to each person to show that it can work.

Take care out there.

Advertisement