Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

unique challenge

Options
  • 15-01-2016 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

hi guys il try to keep this concise!
    im 31,my partner is 38.

found out im going to be a dad yesterday,in addition i am a stepdad to 4 kids already from my partners first relationship,the kids are now 17,15,13,12 respectively.

my partner is in the final stages of a four year degree in business,and our plan was to emigrate after college was over to australia,as she has an uncle who has a big business there,and a brother in the ozzie police and they both live in the same place.

questions.
    1.is it possible to emigrate at all considering the kids etc?
    2.i cant find any literature about our situation at all,does any exist?
    3.i would be going first,i have a job to go to,2000 a week,how would this fare with the cost of living for us until my partner gets work?

thanks for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

bigbaz wrote: »
    im 31,my partner is 38.

found out im going to be a dad yesterday,in addition i am a stepdad to 4 kids already from my partners first relationship,the kids are now 17,15,13,12 respectively.

my partner is in the final stages of a four year degree in business,and our plan was to emigrate after college was over to australia,as she has an uncle who has a big business there,and a brother in the ozzie police and they both live in the same place.

questions.
    3.i would be going first,i have a job to go to,2000 a week,how would this fare with the cost of living for us until my partner gets work?

thanks for reading.

I think your first step needs to be getting in touch with a migration agent. Have a look at the mara website. There are a few based in Ireland.
    Having family in Australia won't help your application much but will be a big help with getting set up when you arrive.
    Who is the main applicant...you or your partner and what visa are you travelling on when you go over first?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Amadeus 2014

Having family isn't a hindrance - I have just been granted a 457 work visa and I have a couple of kids.

As the poster above says your best bet is to talk to a migration agent but family will mean very little in terms of getting you over, the family visa process can take years and be very expensive. It's also aimed at people who don't have any other family elsewhere in the world from teh little I saw of it.

If your job is on the skilled migration list then that's probably the best route in but one thing I didn't know until I was pretty committed is that unless you are a perm resident over there you have to pay for schooling (yes even in State schools) and in NSW it's $10k per child per year. It does vary by state but with 4 going on 5 kids that's a big chunk of money per year.

One other thing, you might need to verify the rules around the 17 year old - once they turn 18 they are an adult and won't automatically get approval on your visa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

bigbaz wrote: »
    im 31,my partner is 38.

questions.

thanks for reading.

You should also factor in some post grad experience, a degree on its own wouldn't be enough.

Also if general skilled visa would require extra points from language or PhD as the age of the main applicant is outside the sweet spot for gaining points.

Advertisement